• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
- Novice Network
Upon becoming a mentor, you will automatically gain access to the Novice Network, a chat channel where new adventurers can seek the advice of veteran players.
* The "New Adventurer" status is applied to all players who have less than 40 hours of play time.

Oh god I didn't check that mentor preview before, this is going to degenerate into gamer gate discussion or Trump or whatever the latest internet cesspool nonsense that all global MMO chats inevitably descend into.

Redx508

Yo that Ultros sofa

Wonder if it has different reactions to males vs females

rgtl.gif

Tomo did you miss the memo Shiva's rock theme is going be playing 24/7

Valor

Oh god I didn't check that mentor preview before, this is going to degenerate into gamer gate discussion or Trump or whatever the latest internet cesspool nonsense that all global MMO chats inevitably descend into.

You mean like Blade and Soul did on like day 2?

Arkeband

Banned
So lazy of them. Primal gear should have been unique for everyone. That's like the one set outside of AF gear that deserves it.

There's no precedent for gear to be unique to everyone outside of the first batch of end-game gear you get, for "identity" purposes. (AF, i200) The closest comparison we have to this set of gear is the i100 and i120 gear sets, both of which made use of palette swaps.

Jayhawk

You mean like Blade and Soul did on like day 2?

Confirmed that Valor was playing Blade and Soul all along. He is smurfing as the person who is the #1 ranked in pvp right now.

And why are Grimm and Kagari the models they used for showing off hair styles? VIPs.

Valor

Confirmed that Valor was playing Blade and Soul all along. He is smurfing as the person who is the #1 ranked in pvp right now.

And why are Grimm and Kagari the models they used for showing off hair styles? VIPs.
:3c

Maybe they're trying to tell these two that their shit's played out. WE TYPE ZERO NOW.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
There's no precedent for gear to be unique to everyone outside of the first batch of end-game gear you get, for "identity" purposes. (AF, i200) The closest comparison we have to this set of gear is the i100 and i120 gear sets, both of which made use of palette swaps.

I'm aware it's not a new concept. Still would have been nice to see a unique primal set per job.

Tomat

I hope this fight isn't boring. I feel like gigantic enemies are hard to do in MMOs but I want this guy to be fun.

What I want to see is if he stays in that form or if it's like a temporary super attack type thing. Hoping he stays, giant enemy fights are cool.

Valor

What I want to see is if he stays in that form or if it's like a temporary super attack type thing. Hoping he stays, giant enemy fights are cool.

I'm wondering the same thing. The attack looks like its either an enrage or a "super amazing phase transition attack that looks good but you just need a decent adlo shield to survive with plenty of health" attack.

My uneducated guess is that it's phase transition and second half of the fight is us pewpewing his... hands? Fingers? I dunno.

Tomat

I'm wondering the same thing. The attack looks like its either an enrage or a "super amazing phase transition attack that looks good but you just need a decent adlo shield to survive with plenty of health" attack.

My uneducated guess is that it's phase transition and second half of the fight is us pewpewing his... hands? Fingers? I dunno.

You start by fighting his arms. The rest comes out later.

iammeiam

I'm aware it's not a new concept. Still would have been nice to see a unique primal set per job.

It is disappointing, especially if it means some Primals just get left out. I'm fine with the shared gear between roles because job-specific makes gearing up off jobs annoying, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to want them to try to do less palatteswapping between sets.

I hope this fight isn't boring. I feel like gigantic enemies are hard to do in MMOs but I want this guy to be fun.

It just looked like his post-DPS check super to me. Diamond Dust, Earthen Fury, etc. I assume if he stays huge it'll be another Midgarsormr-style adds thing while he just chucks endless AOEs at us.

Tomat

It is disappointing, especially if it means some Primals just get left out. I'm fine with the shared gear between roles because job-specific makes gearing up off jobs annoying, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to want them to try to do less palatteswapping between sets.
We could have had bearded Ramuh healers.

Sorian

Banned
That's likely just his ultimate move, I'd be surprised if he doesn't just return to the arena and be regular-sized afterward. (still big, but not like a Kologarn-esque fight):

It just looked like his post-DPS check super to me. Diamond Dust, Earthen Fury, etc. I assume if he stays huge it'll be another Midgarsormr-style adds thing while he just chucks endless AOEs at us.

Let me dream guys ;_;

I know what it probably is but still. I hope this patch is fun. I have high hopes.

BadRNG

Looks like tank lore gear is actually Ifrit palette swap and healer lore gear is Shiva swap.
Wasn't exactly looking forward to the assumed Titan themed gear but man this is just lazy.

It's usually at least unique to type of job, tanks weren't MNK and healers weren't casters before in every tome set. In case of i100 in particular the gear was very varied. i120 all had the same theme but at least roles were different.

iammeiam

We could have had bearded Ramuh healers.

....I wonder if I can do a thing with the Christmas beard and my existing glamour options. This could be amazing.

Let me dream guys ;_;

I know what it probably is but still. I hope this patch is fun. I have high hopes.

I'm going with if I expect nothing they can't underdeliver that much. I'm hyped enough for pending MCH buffs and the potential for more actually fun raid content to be bad at that I'll probably end up disappointed anyway so trying for pessimism.

What we've seen so far is at least visually interesting. And maybe they'll surprise me with Sephirot and we'll get some awesome Bayonetta-style run-up-his-arms thing.

Sorian

Banned
I'm going with if I expect nothing they can't underdeliver that much. I'm hyped enough for pending MCH buffs and the potential for more actually fun raid content to be bad at that I'll probably end up disappointed anyway so trying for pessimism.

What we've seen so far is at least visually interesting. And maybe they'll surprise me with Sephirot and we'll get some awesome Bayonetta-style run-up-his-arms thing.

Speaking of buffs. Has there been any new word on if the reset timer on fire/ice stacks for BLM really was refreshed on cast as opposed to hit? Or still just speculation from that video?

Teknoman

I actually wanted to see if Titan armor wasn't just gonna be a boulder suit...

Calcobrena animations better be wooden / jittery as hell.

Arkeband

Banned
It's usually at least unique to type of job, tanks weren't MNK and healers weren't casters before in every tome set. In case of i100 in particular the gear was very varied. i120 all had the same theme but at least roles were different.

I see what you're saying but I would be surprised if there aren't differences in the models between MNK and tanks. I don't think in that particular case it will be a straight palette swap. We won't know until they release patch notes or a better glimpse at them.

What is weird is DRG's being the only Garuda's as far as we can tell. I'm not complaining because I'm a DRG and everyone wants to be a special snowflake, but it just seems strange from a workload vantage point. Why cut corners elsewhere but get fancy here?

Edit: I guess we had a unique i100 set, though, iirc...

Tomat

Here's my crappy toss together with commentary for fashion people
If weapons are included it looks like I might finally be able to get my HA BLM staff after all this time.
Before anyone asks, yes I have farmed it. Lost every roll.

BadRNG

I see what you're saying but I would be surprised if there aren't differences in the models between MNK and tanks. I don't think in that particular case it will be a straight palette swap. We won't know until they release patch notes or a better glimpse at them.

What is weird is DRG's being the only Garuda's as far as we can tell. I'm not complaining because I'm a DRG and everyone wants to be a special snowflake, but it just seems strange from a workload vantage point. Why cut corners elsewhere but get fancy here?
Based off this, any model differences are incredibly minor. Slightly longer skirt? This is definitely laziest they have ever done on the tome sets.

As for your second question, something something dragoon expansion

iammeiam

Speaking of buffs. Has there been any new word on if the reset timer on fire/ice stacks for BLM really was refreshed on cast as opposed to hit? Or still just speculation from that video?

Speculation based on the video; it was pointed out in one discussion that the extended AF/UI timers make sense as a response to the change in refresh timing, since you're effectively refreshing slightly earlier in the window so without the extension 10 seconds of buff time would be less usable time.

The only confirmed job change I remember seeing lately is that they're going to fix proc display timings for some jobs.

Arkeband

Banned
Based off this, any model differences are incredibly minor. Slightly longer skirt? This is definitely laziest they have ever done on the tome sets.

As for your second question, something something dragoon expansion

15863df5ea.jpg

Compare that to this:

finalfantasyxiv_20_cs1w1_x720.jpg

Tank will have a breastplate it looks like instead of having a bare chest (lol) and possibly a faceplate for the helmet instead of being a headband.

Sorian

Banned
Speculation based on the video; it was pointed out in one discussion that the extended AF/UI timers make sense as a response to the change in refresh timing, since you're effectively refreshing slightly earlier in the window so without the extension 10 seconds of buff time would be less usable time.

The only confirmed job change I remember seeing lately is that they're going to fix proc display timings for some jobs.

This is true but I feel like the purpose of the extension in time was to assist people who felt the rotation was too tight
scrubs :p
. If the refresh is earlier as well than that wouldn't be the case anymore since the timing would just be moved but not actually changed. Obviously I'd rather have a refresh at cast with same overall timing but I'm not sure what their intention is.

scy

This is true but I feel like the purpose of the extension in time was to assist people who felt the rotation was too tight
. If the refresh is earlier as well than that wouldn't be the case anymore since the timing would just be moved but not actually changed. Obviously I'd rather have a refresh at cast with same overall timing but I'm not sure what their intention is.

It's also possible they just want to smooth out all procs in the game to be on-cast rather than on-damage processing. So the side benefit here is gaining ~1s in leeway alongside getting the refresh/Firestarter on cast and a 12s total window.

iammeiam

Tank doesn't have a firey sword; I wonder if this means he has a swap model that will be called after another primal. I have no idea which primal a recolored Levi would be. At least I like the overall Levi model.

Beaten for trying to edit in primal talk but whatever.

Is the difference from end of cast to application right now 2 seconds? I kind of figured two seconds was enough to both cover the move in application and add a slight amount of wiggle room, but who knows. Class balance changes are apparently top secret.

Sifl

So all aiming is Levi
Tank gear is a palette swapped Ifrit
Caster/Healer is palette swapped Shiva
Pretty lazy if this is accurate.

Eldren

That DRG backflip...was that a job-specific emote? That's pretty cool.

I'm really looking forward to this. Dungeons look fun, some interesting potential buffs for certain classes, Shiva gear looks great, Midas looks to be an improvement. I'm not looking forward to having to shell out millions of gil for those tartan trousers but damn...I need those. Exciting stuff all round.

Sorian

Banned
It's also possible they just want to smooth out all procs in the game to be on-cast rather than on-damage processing. So the side benefit here is gaining ~1s in leeway alongside getting the refresh/Firestarter on cast and a 12s total window.

I want them to do something so I feel compelled to actually use my procs. I feel like it's bad design when the correct choice is to ignore my procs 50% of the time.

Is the difference from end of cast to application right now 2 seconds? I kind of figured two seconds was enough to both cover the move in application and add a slight amount of wiggle room, but who knows. Class balance changes are apparently top secret.

Nah, it's not quite two seconds. Probably 1-1.5 depending on latency so I guess that is a slight amount of wiggle room.

scy

Class balance changes are apparently top secret.

If players knew the STR/VIT changes exacts or the MCH buffs, then they could make informed decisions and, really, who even wants that.

So all aiming is Levi
Tank gear is a palette swapped Ifrit
Caster/Healer is palette swapped Shiva
Pretty lazy if this is accurate.

On one hand, at least not Titan.
On the other hand, there went Ravana dreams.

SMNs denied Ramuh-egi and then Ramuh brand clothes though. RIP

I want them to do something so I feel compelled to actually use my procs. I feel like it's bad design when the correct choice is to ignore my procs 50% of the time.

ignoring procs is just a sign that BLM is training for AST gameplay.

Top Bottom