• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

BadRNG

Tank will have a breastplate it looks like instead of having a bare chest (lol) and possibly a faceplate for the helmet instead of being a headband.
I don't know if it's just the terrible image quality, but I can't even tell if there's really a breastplate there. The shoulders/rest of it looks same, if there's a heavy plate there it's not very big. The back does look slightly different I think, except for the wing/horn things.

Tank doesn't have a firey sword; I wonder if this means he has a swap model that will be called after another primal. I have no idea which primal a recolored Levi would be. At least I like the overall Levi model.
The horns and stuff kind of limit it to Ifrit? Ravana has them but not shaped like those, Behemoth has them but tanks already have two sets of Behemoth gear at this point, and he's not a primal. It's a shame they didn't do Ravana, his...skin? Carapace? Already looks like heavy armor, and his eyes/face would make a cool helm. The sword looks like one from one of the of the 50-60 dungeons, don't remember which,...

The MCH in the video's outfit was blue and white like the NIN's, so may not be recolored at all.

iammeiam

The horns and stuff kind of limit it to Ifrit? Ravana has them but not shaped like those, Behemoth has them but tanks already have two sets of Behemoth gear at this point, and he's not a primal. It's a shame they didn't do Ravana, his...skin? Carapace? Already looks like heavy armor, and his eyes/face would make a cool helm. The sword looks like one from one of the of the 50-60 dungeons, don't remember which,...

The MCH in the video's outfit was blue and white like the NIN's, so may not be recolored at all.

I'm trying to wrap my head around them being too lazy to even palatteswap sets. My expectations still somehow too high.

I hope they give something/make changes to monk that makes them completely op so people actually want me.

When they make PLD OP and DRK gets put to pasture DK will be useful again. Believe.

BadRNG

I hope they give something/make changes to monk that makes them completely op so people actually want me.
I hear they are letting you downgrade to 2.x so you'll get your wish. This is also how they intend to buff PLDs, by reverting WAR to 2.0.

I'm trying to wrap my head around them being too lazy to even palatteswap sets. My expectations still somehow too high.
marvel at your future. Maybe which parts are white and blue swap? The possibilities!

also is that MNK just afk

WolvenOne

Might try getting the 1st Coil tank armor crafted, since I had the High Allagan Glamored not too long ago.<_<

I think it'd look good in black.

PS: For what it's worth, sounds like Sprint will no longer deplete TP in PVP.

Also Diadem 150 gear is getting upgraded to 160, so that its stat values get synched for PVP. Apparently it was kinda OP there.

iammeiam

marvel at your future. Maybe which parts are white and blue swap? The possibilities!

also is that MNK just afk

Welp. I wonder which parts dye. And I think now I'm assuming the monk has the upgraded tome weapon and the non-effects ones are maybe the base? So he's got his loot and is checked out until 3.4.

I really want to know who thought gauss barrel looked good. I imagine I they tested it on one of the guns and thought it would look the same on everything.

GB is so weird. The only good thing I can say about it is it dyes if you dye the weapon, but sticking that thing on the Gordian gun makes it look like the barrel should snap in half.

Bah, these crafted sets will probably be level 60 for the High allagan stuff. Very annoying considering I have never crafted yet but I guess it is better to start late than never. I thought they would just make the drops from coil compatible with dye. >.>

Arkeband

Banned
If players knew the STR/VIT changes exacts or the MCH buffs, then they could make informed decisions and, really, who even wants that.

What is left to be said about STR/VIT? They already covered that, I'm pretty sure anyone serious about tanking went and blew all of their previously untouched stacks of Page 1 Manuals on 210 VIT accessories. (I know I did...)

Sorian

Banned
What is left to be said about STR/VIT? They already covered that, I'm pretty sure anyone serious about tanking went and blew all of their previously untouched stacks of Page 1 Manuals on 210 VIT accessories. (I know I did...)

The actual math behind VIT and STR towards damage is still very important. That's not really information they release though, that's more a community burden but SE could still fuck it up.

Sorian

Banned
Say whatever you want but they know how to hype up patches, especially the even patches since that's when they get out the new raid and can usually change underlying game mechanics easily.

iammeiam

They could at the absolute least clarify if they're intentionally reducing tank damage output as part of the rebalance, or if they're trying to rework things so that the end output is the same. We don't necessarily need all the math up front, but it'd be nice to know what their goal is overall since people on different sides of the fence seem to be totally convinced of different things.

It would be nice to know the MCH stuff to have an idea of if they're actually going to fix the gear scaling discrepancy or not, since I assume some people will pick what they do next tier based on that (I, meanwhile, will continue to fiddle with turrets and assume the tanks or somebody will compensate for my crap gear scaling if the buffs are bad. Provided the STR/VIT rebalance doesn't nerf them too hard.) I would like to know if secondary priorities will be changing next tier so I can make sure I have the right accessories.

Sorian

Banned
They could at the absolute least clarify if they're intentionally reducing tank damage output as part of the rebalance, or if they're trying to rework things so that the end output is the same. We don't necessarily need all the math up front, but it'd be nice to know what their goal is overall since people on different sides of the fence seem to be totally convinced of different things.

Do we really want the answer to this?

"Well, when we run damage calculations we only assume the basic damage needed for a tank to hold the mob's focus."

"Hai."

"Hai."

It's bad news for tanks, I'm sure

Squishy3

I imagine it's going to be toned back from what it is now but at the same time there's no way the Midas savage checks are going to be as intense that every group needs the current amount of damage coming out from tanks in it.

I'm expecting a lot of bullshit to happen to try to make tanks stay in tank stance more too during Savage.

scy

Or just already had the non-Parry Gordian right side with the decent Eso pieces (once I stop being lazy and buy them). Mostly I'm curious if the VIT pot functionality will be the same, how will VIT on food work, any details for how the STR/VIT will pan out with melds. Any kind of note on making the Parry stat not depressing would be an interesting bonus.

Basically any kind of idea for changes on the systems to come. And will I finally be forced to use that fucking Parry food.

I imagine it's going to be toned back from what it is now but at the same time there's no way the Midas savage checks are going to be as intense that every group needs the current amount of damage coming out from tanks in it.

I'm expecting a lot of bullshit to happen to try to make tanks stay in tank stance more too during Savage.

I'm in the camp that I hope they keep the tank damage to near the same, and as a factor, since everyone will have that baseline VIT-as-damage statistic; no more "can't factor them because different gear!" as a reason. Essentially bringing the floor up for expected tank damage, I'm not too concerned with the ceiling with these changes.

Sylas

Do we really want the answer to this?

"Well, when we run damage calculations we only assume the basic damage needed for a tank to hold the mob's focus."

"Hai."

"Hai."

It's bad news for tanks, I'm sure

This shit baffles me so hard because they gave the tanks tools to do better DPS. Like, sure. I can tank by just spamming Power Slash combo but that's only a small portion of the toolkit I was given as a tank. Why would you only tune encounters so someone only has to use 3 of their buttons?

iammeiam

It's not like most groups currently were getting the most out of their tanks anyway; the theoretical damage ceiling for tanks was kind of nuts, but most tanks in the game don't really push as hard as they could have been. The question people seem to be disagreeing on is whether tank numbers this tier were unintentional or not. Leaving the damage ceiling constant and reducing the DPS checks lets tanks not maximizing DPS not be an issue at all.

Or to go another route, they've acknowledged that in Coil you could get by with a weaker member of two and in Savage you couldn't for quite a while. They need to lower the DPS checks while keeping player damage output capabilities fairly stable if they want to return to that.

I dunno, I assume the worst but would like confirmation since there's no actual good reason not to. Plus reducing tank damage is basically a Hypercharge nerf and Hypercharge already struggles to be taken seriously.

IvorB

8Jiv7Y0.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZv5Z2Iz_s

scy

This shit baffles me so hard because they gave the tanks tools to do better DPS. Like, sure. I can tank by just spamming Power Slash combo but that's only a small portion of the toolkit I was given as a tank. Why would you only tune encounters so someone only has to use 3 of their buttons?

Because getting past two buttons is already ahead of the curve.

Jokes aside, I'm really interested in seeing what they mean for that. I keep forgetting to actually go beat on a dummy in full VIT doing Path->BB over and over in Defiance to see what kind of numbers that pushes.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I remember when people including me were willing to fund a server transfer for the entire raid group if everyone was able to unanimously agree on transferring. RIP Ultros

No Jayhawk, you have to think bigger.

We have to move GAF.

Jayhawk

No Jayhawk, you have to think bigger.

We have to move GAF.

I'm not in the FC. I wonder if docbon is having any luck with any of these Black Desert CBT2 beta key giveaways. I ain't gonna be streaming much Valkyrie play, only fishing and boat building ERP.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm not in the FC. I wonder if docbon is having any luck with any of these Black Desert CBT2 beta key giveaways. I ain't gonna be streaming much Valkyrie play, only fishing and boat building ERP.
Technically true. Even though you basically are a member.
And buy GAF a new house on the same plot of land in the first ward.
Gil purchases would be required for the movement fund.

Valor

WOW

Wow
Wow.

Let's do the Valentine's thing tomorrow.
It's a date

Based off this, any model differences are incredibly minor. Slightly longer skirt? This is definitely laziest they have ever done on the tome sets.
I dunno, the Ironworks sets were pretty lazy...

I'm at work and can't watch the video. What primal did the aiming classes get for their tome set?
There's a great picture of a Machinist thigh/butt/crotch that has Leviathan scales like the Ninja body, so...

WolvenOne

Uhh not sure how I feel about this. RIP WHMs. SE and their band-aid solutions to balance things...

I mean, you call it a band-aid solution, but it'll certainly balance out melee classes in relation to each other. Not every melee class had equally good TP restoration.

iammeiam

sooooooooooooo 3.2 saves the game?

Every hype trailer saves the game until reality kills it again.

Trailer release -> Hype -> Release -> GAME SAVED -> 2 Weeks Pass -> Reality Sets In -> ???

Reactions exaggerated this cycle because 3.0/3.1 endgames were so bad and Gordias is a super low mark to beat, so... Maybe? PlsdontsuckMidas

Arkeband

Banned
I mean, you call it a band-aid solution, but it'll certainly balance out melee classes in relation to each other. Not every melee class had equally good TP restoration.

I agree, as a melee class, chasing after casters was probably hilarious for them, but not so much fun for me with my 60-180 second long jump timers and Sprint emptying my entire TP bar.

Honestly one of the chief issues with PVP, tying movement to battle resources for some classes but not all.

This won't make PvP great again because it never was, but it's a step in the right direction.

Seems there is a bit more meat to this content than 3.1 offered. Pretty hyped for most of it, might even get my hands dirty for some PVP.

Wasn't expecting new hairstyles, about time they started adding more short and/or spikey hairstyles. Maybe I can switch back to a Hyur now. Also started playing Triple Triad... as in unlocking the quest. I'm kicking myself right now because my old FC before the dramexodus we spammed the crap out of the primals for ponies and everyone had all the primal cards. Now I have a weak deck so I'll need to find some soloable stuff to get some better cards, it's a lot of fun though since it takes me back to FF8 (at least I don't lose my cards this time, haha).

I wonder if there is a sale for FFXIV on the PSN store, I kind of want to see how it feels on the PS4, I have an extra USB keyboard I can use for it. Going to be buying some PSN money cards and might have enough for it if it's like 40 bucks or less for both.

Sorian

Banned

Trailer release -> Hype -> Release -> GAME SAVED -> 2 Weeks Pass -> Reality Sets In -> ???

Reactions exaggerated this cycle because 3.0/3.1 endgames were so bad and Gordias is a super low mark to beat, so... Maybe? PlsdontsuckMidas

*Glance into the future*

iammeiam said:

Reactions exaggerated this cycle because 3.0-3.3 endgames were so bad and Gordias/Midas is a super low mark to beat, so... Maybe? PlsdontsuckEndas

Ken

Here's my crappy toss together with commentary for fashion people

Kirimu chest is for all classes now, I think? They said in JP OF they were making several popular crafted pieces all-class.

sooooooooooooo 3.2 saves the game?

I doubt it. I don't really see how this trailer is any different from 3.1 trailer in terms of fake promises and hype.

Feast, Hall of Novice, and SSS are the filler highlights like Diadem and LoV (rip). Take those out and you're not left with much again.

Pachimari

Also, guys, we don't have a Discord channel, or are we only using this thread as a way of communication (which would by the way, be fine with me)?

Top Bottom