• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Haha. Just logged in after work and a small party was fighting Behemoth, so it only had 20 WS objectives. Completed a single one, got Heroic, and now I have the Kupofried Trust. That was annoying, but not as as bad as I thought it'd be.

Loona

Heroic means completing a single Objective and keeping the moogle effect until the Bahamoth dies?

All the battle text makes the objectives unreadable, along with the Thunderbolt announcement, so I wonder if I'm undertanding this right, and if getting Thunderbolted risks cancelling a completed objective...

SilverArrow20XX

Heroic means completing a single Objective and keeping the moogle effect until the Bahamoth dies?

All the battle text makes the objectives unreadable, along with the Thunderbolt announcement, so I wonder if I'm undertanding this right, and if getting Thunderbolted risks cancelling a completed objective...

You just need to complete 10 objectives ever. Across all fights with Behemoth. It's 9 possible for each fight. Each takes 10% of his health and the last 10% is just normal damage with no objective.

I got level 9 Heroism in my first fight. In my second fight I finished the first objective and was raised to Heroic. You don't need to finish fighting the Behemoth. You just need to talk to the Moogle after getting Heroic level to get the Trust. You get the clock for defeating Behemoth. Not sure if it requires any Heroism levels.

Just keep an eye on the timer. Every time it resets there's a new objective. The easiest way to win is to wait for the ones that are "Use X number of weapon skills", then just spam weapon skills as fast as you can, and hopefully you have a group capable of hitting the objective goal.

Mika

Malick[AI];164413812 said:
What job level do I need to be to do the Quifm fight for Rhapsodies?

I can't find anything on any wiki about level requirements.

From what I've heard, the recommended levels are ~50 for the Qufim fight, and ~75 for the final fight.

Loona

You just need to complete 10 objectives ever. Across all fights with Behemoth. It's 9 possible for each fight. Each takes 10% of his health and the last 10% is just normal damage with no objective.

I got level 9 Heroism in my first fight. In my second fight I finished the first objective and was raised to Heroic. You don't need to finish fighting the Behemoth. You just need to talk to the Moogle after getting Heroic level to get the Trust. You get the clock for defeating Behemoth. Not sure if it requires any Heroism levels.

Just keep an eye on the timer. Every time it resets there's a new objective. The easiest way to win is to wait for the ones that are "Use X number of weapon skills", then just spam weapon skills as fast as you can, and hopefully you have a group capable of hitting the objective goal.

I got the clock from still being in the fight when a Behemoth died, but the moogle then also mentioned I didn't do as well as some of the other people - as far as I can tell, he never mentions how many Heroic points you have so far, if ever, so I'm just fighting blindly while unable to see what the objectives are because the NPC battle text passes by do fast - an if I don't see the battle text, I also don't see which weapon skills they use (as if I knew what to follow up each of them with...).

While I'm at it, I'm doing my Marksmanship trials on the thing and just spamming WS in case the objective happens to be about spamming WSs anyway.

I saw a few other players around using Evisceration a lot, so I tried to with with a WS that would skillchain off of that just in case.

Malick[AI];164414772 said:
Cool, thanks!

Kind of silly the quest goes from kill level 12 bees to kill a level 50 NM.

It will be pretty easy to find a carry for the first fight. I just sat there at Qufim flagged and some random dudes invited me and killed it.

Ashilyn

I think the storyline ending and all the QoL and XP changes since I last played seriously mean I'm going to resub. The question is do I pick up where I left off, start a fresh character to refamiliarise myself with things, or both (oh god my free time)...

Loona

Looks like simply spamming high enough WSs worked to get Kupofried, eventually.

With that out of the way, finally started the new missions, which I figure should be a lot easier to solo than the 2 Xol fights ahead of me in SoA.
It's pretty weird how travel by boat from Selbina to Norg is now instant (like airship trips in FFXIV), while the ferry rides to the much closer Mhaura still take the time they do... the sign of times, but I guess for once it's not yet another teleport.
IIRC we never saw any Far East landmasses before, but the Iroha cutscene showed a small island... what are the odds that'll be implemented in the final Rhapsodies release, especially considering Iroha outright says that's in our future?...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I have to say the Add-on community is top tier. Everything was fixed within a few days.

You guys:
555bc5f322c3921ff04adb06.jpg

Mika

Looks like simply spamming high enough WSs worked to get Kupofried, eventually.

With that out of the way, finally started the new missions, which I figure should be a lot easier to solo than the 2 Xol fights ahead of me in SoA.
It's pretty weird how travel by boat from Selbina to Norg is now instant (like airship trips in FFXIV), while the ferry rides to the much closer Mhaura still take the time they do... the sign of times, but I guess for once it's not yet another teleport.
IIRC we never saw any Far East landmasses before, but the Iroha cutscene showed a small island... what are the odds that'll be implemented in the final Rhapsodies release, especially considering Iroha outright says that's in our future?...

I certainly hope so! But we'll have to wait 6 months to find out. This actually reminds me of the early Vana'diel map I translated last month (/shamelessplug) That island of Shokumiya was very probably an eastern-style shrine based on the kanji, despite nothing else I was able to translate being similar. They may have planned for an expansion like this from the start, and just moved the island off to the eastern side of Aradijiah, or I could be looking waaaay too far into this.

You guys:

Man, that Twash you completed a couple weeks ago was already super impressive. But this, this must be your crowning achievement.

So I managed to get Kupofreid last night.

When I was getting heroic points at least 7 of the 10 were gotten by the use 20 weapon skill objective.

I wonder if they made those appear more than the skill chain ones.

Okay so I got Kupofried last night. Then I got up to Mission 1-1-5 in Rhapsodies of Vana'diel to get the Rhapsody in White KI. Popped the other EXP ring that gives you 150%. I think you can only use one at a time?

I'm at 50 on my RDM and decided to finally level my WHM subjob.

Holy crap. I got to level 18 in no time. The only reason I didn't get higher in that time was I got lazy and didn't want to go to another zone. This feels like probably how leveling maybe should have been originally.

The problem with this I think is that I feel my skills are going to fall behind which means at some point I'm going to have to pay off that debt by grinding.

Loona

Or you can spend sparks on skill tomes - it's what I've been doing with marksmanship and archery after levelling them in Abyssea parties - that way I save on ammo and time, leaving those expenses for their corresponding weaponskill quests as I reach the appropriate levels.

Mika

Okay so I got Kupofried last night. Then I got up to Mission 1-1-5 in Rhapsodies of Vana'diel to get the Rhapsody in White KI. Popped the other EXP ring that gives you 150%. I think you can only use one at a time?

Holy crap. I got to level 18 in no time. The only reason I didn't get higher in that time was I got lazy and didn't want to go to another zone. This feels like probably how leveling maybe should have been originally.

The problem with this I think is that I feel my skills are going to fall behind which means at some point I'm going to have to pay off that debt by grinding.

Yeah, you can only have 1 ring exp effect on at a time. They overwrite each other I believe.

Can you imagine how much more Sky, Dynamis and especially HNM drama there would've been if everyone was 75 after a month of playing back then? hahaha

There's a bunch of stuff that can help improve your skill gain rate now, if you have trouble with that.

You can get consumable items that increase your combat skills. I'm not clear on the details but I ended up with some in my inventory. Maybe they're tied to FoV or Unity RoE rewards.

ZetaEpyon

If you need skill manuals, let me know which ones - I have a ton that I got from the job level RoEs that I have absolutely no use for, so I might have what you need. They're just sitting on a mule right now.

Holy crap. I had no idea. Thanks for that!

If you need skill manuals, let me know which ones - I have a ton that I got from the job level RoEs that I have absolutely no use for, so I might have what you need. They're just sitting on a mule right now.

Thanks, I might hit you up for that in-game. You're on Sylph on the GAF LS right?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Or you can spend sparks on skill tomes - it's what I've been doing with marksmanship and archery after levelling them in Abyssea parties - that way I save on ammo and time, leaving those expenses for their corresponding weaponskill quests as I reach the appropriate levels.

I really don't suggest using sparks for skill tomes. One exception being Blue Magic if you don't want to wait ages to get your first skill.

There are much better use for sparks, 117 weapons are a fantastic start for end game, and Rems Tales. Or any of the equipment to fill in any holes.

Now that you have trusts who can help heal you while you us ea crappy weapon to up skills, those skill books seem too expensive for the .1 to .3 they seem to up your skills.

Loona

I really don't suggest using sparks for skill tomes. One exception being Blue Magic if you don't want to wait ages to get your first skill.

There are much better use for sparks, 117 weapons are a fantastic start for end game, and Rems Tales. Or any of the equipment to fill in any holes.

Now that you have trusts who can help heal you while you us ea crappy weapon to up skills, those skill books seem too expensive for the .1 to .3 they seem to up your skills.

I'm still seriously thinking of investing in skill tomes while the Behemoth event is active - I've completed my marksmanship trials over a couple of brief sessions in 2 days, and by now the remaining WS quests involve weapons I'm underskilled at, and it's been fairly easy to keep my sparks topped up (I still have plenty of 1-time RoE tasks to go through).

Every time I reach 45k sparks I've spent some point on ammo-based weapon skill tomes to have same on ammo from skill-ups, so the points wouldn't be wasted past 50000, but that's still happened occasionally since now it's even easier to always have some RoE tasks that don't expire, like Kill# mobs, do/heal/suffer # damage, and stuff like crystal drops.

I already have 99 gear for my main job, including its Eminent weapon, and I'm still not done with the RoE Achievements categories, which gives a lots of Rem chapters, so renewing my sparks shouldn't be an issue.

The annoying thing is that I'm already with the the 1-handed weapon WS quests, so no more abusing Dual Wield to skill those up.

I'm already done with the Rhapsodies missions for now (
I wonder what element Siren matches - her skill lean toward BRD and the CHR stat, which leans toward light
), so hopefully regular skill ups should be faster, but it's still a race against time to do it all in time for the Behemoth event.
Annoyingly, my archery skill is still in the double digits, but I'm about 42 points away from Great Sword WS viability (despite having beaten the WotG boss on Rune Fencer), so I guess I'm tackling the Marksmanship WSNM with that weapon first and see how it goes.

Mika

So work's been slow this week, so I went ahead and finished translating the map I posted last month:

Unfortunately, none of the remaining items were particularly interesting (most of the locations are just generic placeholder names). Though I thought it was hilariously sadistic to put a salt lake in the middle of a desert.

Mika

The say, in ages past, Altana had the naming sense of a high school creative writing student. Unfortunately as her vernacular improved, she became intrinsically bound to apostrophes.

Malick[AI];164711646 said:
Is the level 60 Limit Break quest still as much of a pain in the ass as I remember it to be?

50 & 55 were EZ Mode.

You just need a lot of patience for LB3. Getting the key items for Monastic Cavern/Qulun are very time consuming, as is securing the daily passwords in Castle O. Castle O in particular is hair raising due to the mobs standing right on top of the crest.

You just need a lot of patience for LB3. Getting the key items for Monastic Cavern/Qulun are very time consuming, as is securing the daily passwords in Castle O. Castle O in particular is hair raising due to the mobs standing right on top of the crest.

If you're fast you can usually do castle O without looking up the password by brute forcing the 16 possible combinations.

itschris

I last played FFXI back in 2006, but with everything going on right now, I decided to finally come back and see everything that's been added and changed since I last played. I left off with a level 69 Black Mage - the last major thing I did was beat Maat so I could level to 75, but I never got around to actually doing the leveling (it sounds like leveling is much easier now).

It's all pretty overwhelming! So far I've mainly been running around collecting home points so I can teleport between them and unlocking trusts. I also got started with Abyssea so I could earn traverser stones, and I got the first Rhapsody key item for the EXP boost and extra trust slot. I just did a server transfer to Sylph (I was on Lakshmi before), so I'd appreciate it if I could get a linkpearl. My character name is Eriden.

Suikoguy

If you're fast you can usually do castle O without looking up the password by brute forcing the 16 possible combinations.

I got help lighting the torches, and never got the second password.
Got lucky and it was the forth one I tried. The first and 3rd password you basically get without any extra effort on the way up. The second is in the basement.

If you fail a password you do have to start over and type the first one again.

Sinople

So work's been slow this week, so I went ahead and finished translating the map I posted last month:

Unfortunately, none of the remaining items were particularly interesting (most of the locations are just generic placeholder names). Though I thought it was hilariously sadistic to put a salt lake in the middle of a desert.
Do you mind if I suggest some corrections?

-"The Abyss" is actually 屍城 which word-for-word means "Corpse Castle".
-"Compelling Rainbow" is 虹の平原:"Rainbow Plain"
-"Broad Sparkling Beach" is 魔晶岸. 魔晶 is translated by Magicite in-game, so it should be something like "Magicite Coast".
-"Hermitage captial" is 廃都: "Abandoned City"
-"Shokumiya" is actually only one kanji : 館, meaning "Mansion".
-"Wide grasslands" is 魔草原, so "Magic Grasslands" or something like that. Note that the first kanji isn't 広 but a simplification of 魔.

Hope that helped.

I got help lighting the torches, and never got the second password.
Got lucky and it was the forth one I tried. The first and 3rd password you basically get without any extra effort on the way up. The second is in the basement.

If you fail a password you do have to start over and type the first one again.

Oh wait I was thinking the door switch. The typed password is annoying but also brute forceable Remember it's case sensitive too.

Mika

Do you mind if I suggest some corrections?

-"The Abyss" is actually 屍城 which word-for-word means "Corpse Castle".
-"Compelling Rainbow" is 虹の平原:"Rainbow Plain"
-"Broad Sparkling Beach" is 魔晶岸. 魔晶 is translated by Magicite in-game, so it should be something like "Magicite Coast".
-"Hermitage captial" is 廃都: "Abandoned City"
-"Shokumiya" is actually only one kanji : 館, meaning "Mansion".
-"Wide grasslands" is 魔草原, so "Magic Grasslands" or something like that. Note that the first kanji isn't 広 but a simplification of 魔.

Hope that helped.

Thanks! That actually does help me a lot. I haven't really started learning Kanji, so I was just trying to make out what those characters were by looking up the radicals. Good job on reading those with the poor resolution though!

SilverArrow20XX

Finally got that dinner invitation. Only took 6 days. Just in time for memorial day weekend. Hope there aren't any more progress blockers like that in the Seekers story.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Need more than 3 times as many for the very next mission. Another 20 days worth of imprimaturs about. Looks like it may be impossible to beat this before Heavensward due to bad game design.

For Mist:
cap_points.png
You have opened my eyes Talym, and I have toiled to follow your example.

capper-points.png

Still slow as all hell, but I've realized that decent gear does open a lot of options, even solo.

Finally knocked out all the Reives for CP bonuses, I don't see myself farming them outside of "Gain XP" bonus hours but who knows. Better than farming a mythic!

B.K.

I just found out that if you keep your HP at 100%, you won't be kicked out of the Behemoth event when it uses Thunderbolt. That will help when doing weapon skill trials. It was annoying having to run out of range when its defense was down and it was about to cast.

SilverArrow20XX

Just got the scene for the next SoA Mission. Only took 3 more days. Looks like they drastically lowered the imprimatur requirements. I may get this done before Heavensward yet.

Loona

I just found out that if you keep your HP at 100%, you won't be kicked out of the Behemoth event when it uses Thunderbolt. That will help when doing weapon skill trials. It was annoying having to run out of range when its defense was down and it was about to cast.

It's amazing how it's not possible to knock out a WS quest in a day while the event lasts.

It's still annoying to fish a Norg Shell for the Sahagin Key quest to get to the polearm WSNM fight though, but at least that's soloable, which is more than one could say about the sword one before they introduced the Quicksand Caves weight key item.

So me and my brother have decided to play again after the free trial thing got us hooked once more. Basically we stopped playing properly after Abyssea so missed many many things.

We're working on spark points and all that stuff, got that figured out mostly. Upgrading AF gear etc.

The server we're on is pretty empty these days it seems, there is no one left we know at all! Changing isn't an option though, so we're just doing everything we can duo and (trying to) have fun along the way.

Question: To get Oboro to talk to me you have to do one of a few things ( 20SKCNM on difficult? High NM fight things on normal).... is it possible to do any of these duo and if so which one would be the easiest? My brother is mainly a RDM (best geared and best playing job) and I have many different jobs available if i work on them but at the moment THF, BLM and possibly SMN and BST are really the only 'ok geared' ones as far as Item LVL stuff goes (which I don't really understand fully).

Is there anything we could duo to get Oboro to talk to us? Any recommendations? Or in your guys expert opinions would it be pretty tough. Even a maybe this one investigate further, we're game for anything and pretty use to low manning things.

Cheers!

So me and my brother have decided to play again after the free trial thing got us hooked once more. Basically we stopped playing properly after Abyssea so missed many many things.

We're working on spark points and all that stuff, got that figured out mostly. Upgrading AF gear etc.

The server we're on is pretty empty these days it seems, there is no one left we know at all! Changing isn't an option though, so we're just doing everything we can duo and (trying to) have fun along the way.

Question: To get Oboro to talk to me you have to do one of a few things ( 20SKCNM on difficult? High NM fight things on normal).... is it possible to do any of these duo and if so which one would be the easiest? My brother is mainly a RDM (best geared and best playing job) and I have many different jobs available if i work on them but at the moment THF, BLM and possibly SMN and BST are really the only 'ok geared' ones as far as Item LVL stuff goes (which I don't really understand fully).

Is there anything we could duo to get Oboro to talk to us? Any recommendations? Or in your guys expert opinions would it be pretty tough. Even a maybe this one investigate further, we're game for anything and pretty use to low manning things.

Cheers!

It would be pretty tough. The general strat is to have a pld super tank the monsters and pick them off one at a time. That works duo if one of you is a well geared pld, but not so much otherwise. You should reconsider the server transfer, it's cheap for a little while longer and there's a bunch of us on sylph

I feel like levels 80-99 lack a good guide online.

Most all guides top out at 85 and say go grind worms, which would be great if those still existed.

From 75-80 I did worms and bats in Zeruhn Mines

80-85 in Outer Horutoto on bats (and from 83-85 a slime for the hunt log)

I have been suggested Maze of Shakhrami now from 85-90.

Are there any other good suggestions?

How about from 90-95 & 95-99?

Also, what spells as a RDM should I prioritize in buying? I think I cast Dia around 4000 times this weekend to get my Enfeeble Magic to near the cap.

Top Bottom