• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Rebirth Demo dropping tomorrow

Bojji

You guy

It's FFVII Remake launch assets all over again.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

It had weak textures even for a PS4 game but now with 13GB of RAM, super fast SSD and game taking ~150GB of storage there is NO EXCUSE.

scydrex

The demo in performance looks bad. Very blurry and que quality well 30fps. No 40fps... i think i will wait to play this on ps5 pro or if SE update and improve the game.

Exentryk

Played about an hour of the demo today, and it's really nicely done actually. The cinematography has been excellent, and the approach of the demo, i.e., Cloud talking about it to the party and we getting to relive it, is awesome. The characters look great and the HDR is well done as well. The combat also seems to be improved and I especially love the perfect blocking.

Still going through the demo, so will save the rest for later. But so far, this is great!

Edit: In terms of performance, I changed to performance mode, and also reduced the camera speed to 2. Then it felt good. Of course the game would be best experienced on PC where we wouldn't need to pick between performance and graphics. But it should be manageable on PS5.

Last edited:
I thought even the quality mode was not that sharp. And we can see it in the comparisons pics in this thread. I much prefered the performance mode. FF16 was unplayable in all modes for me for various reasons (controls, camera, vaseline effect etc). Here the performance mode is very enjoyable to play. Sure assets are uneven (the PS4 roots) but everything is very smooth and controls are great.

Because there's not supposed to be exploration in this section of the game? It's the prologue to the game, and the Nibelheim incident. The Junon section of the demo is being released in a later update, so maybe wait until then?

Yeah but why did they slow the character down if we decide to walk anywhere other than the main pathway when there's all this open space on the sides? That's amatueur annoying stuff that gamers have been asking devs to stop for the longest time. Literally no reason for it.

Traxtech

They confirmed months ago the Nibleheim section was a very old build, so I hope retail will be improved image quality wise in performance mode

Reactions: K2D
I'm not a fan of how they did that demo. Like, why couldn't they have just done a demo from the start of the game? Apparently, the demo is from later sections of the game and has some major spoilers in it? Like, why in the world would they do that? I'm not really into the series, so the spoilers and stuff don't matter to me, but I can imagine they would matter to the many hardcore fans out there.
Nibelheim should be pretty close to the beginning of Rebirth. Like within an hour or so - basically once they leave Midgar, traditionally they would walk to Kalm and begin this sequence by speaking together in the inn. So presumably the trip to Kalm is skipped so it's not much. Junon (part of the demo dropping later this month) isn't that far along either relatively speaking, other side of Mythril Mines which is just beyond Kalm/Zolom/Grasslands.

Salmon

Plastic rocks

bm05Piy.jpg

Look at those wood details!

4ZHRjQ4.jpg

R54ztvU.jpg

Tesselation maxed out

6VnMBsd.jpg

FFXIII dog would be proud:

Em542DcVcAEYlkO.jpg

Plus G vs P mode:

Iv46vKC.jpg
I2gMU5I.jpg

And shadows draw distance:

I hope you can turn off the mini-map right? I don't wanna play through the game looking at a GPS. Don't really remember if the FFVII had a toggle or not.

Madflavor

Yeah but why did they slow the character down if we decide to walk anywhere other than the main pathway when there's all this open space on the sides? That's amatueur annoying stuff that gamers have been asking devs to stop for the longest time. Literally no reason for it.

I understand the annoyance, but I'm not passing judgement until we get to the actual Open World sections.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
People need to seriously consider that there are some whole haven't played the original

Have respect for that

Bojji

Max seems to confirm it is an old build. Timestamped 24:25

I think he is talking about older preview build, not really anything related to this demo.

Holy hyperbole

I meant: older build - shit, not game in general. Why release some old build that looks worse than final version (with risk to drive people off) one month before release? This doesn't make sense and majority od demos ends up looking exactly like day one versions. RE4 demo looked like shit on PS5 and final version was exactly the same.

Madflavor

I think he is talking about older preview build, not really anything related to this demo.

Or the demo. Or both. I don't know. I won't be surprised if it looks the same on release. I also won't be surprised if it performs a bit better either. It could be an older builder. We could get a Day 1 patch.

I'm also not bothered by any of these things either. Like NeoLed NeoLed said, I don't play video games to stop every minute and look at the texture detail on a plant.

Esppiral

They confirmed months ago the Nibleheim section was a very old build, so I hope retail will be improved image quality wise in performance mode
I don't buy It, this mantra IS repeated every time a demo or preview looks or runs bad, and It allways ends Up looking exactly the same in the final build,

Plus the demo IS dubbed in to several languages... Let me doubt that and old/developement build has multi languages audio tracks.....

Last edited:

Bojji

Or the demo. Or both. I don't know. I won't be surprised if it looks the same on release. I also won't be surprised if it performs a bit better either. It could be an older builder. We could get a Day 1 patch.

I'm also not bothered by any of these things either. Like NeoLed NeoLed said, I don't play video games to stop every minute and look at the texture detail on a plant.

You don't? But this is the main reason why we play videogames in the first place

I like game tech and this demo is perfect opportunity to study how newest and shiniest SE game is looking, and it's not looking like AAA quality game with hundreds of millions dollars budget. Final Fantasy games are usually in forefront of graphics technology so I wonder what went wrong.

In final game I will be too occupied with gameplay and story to be bothered about this stuff much but I don't really care about anything other than technicalities in this demo.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Story, presentation, and gameplay in this demo was excellent. Someone else said that they felt the battle system is more complicated in this one, and i agree. You eventually get used to it but even then it seems like there's more to think about compared to the first game. Not saying it's bad, but you have to get used to it.

Graphically, this isn't as good as the first game. Overall i'd say it looks great, but there are times where the game's image seems to be washed out and bright and not sharp at all, and then a minute or two later you go into an area or scene where it looks awesome. Very confusing.....hopefully this is just due to it being an old build.

Facism

This feels like it's a ps4 game. Can square please fuck off with the dumb slow forced walks, forced gap shimmies and this new dumb climbing mechanic?

Still hype though

Madflavor

Graphically, this isn't as good as the first game. Overall i'd say it looks great, but there are times where the game's image seems to be washed out and bright and not sharp at all, and then a minute or two later you go into an area or scene where it looks awesome. Very confusing.....hopefully this is just due to it being an old build.

Given that Rebirth will be much bigger and much more open than Remake, and the fact that I'm sure the dev team want to release the game at a reasonable time, something had to give. Square doesn't have Fuck You money they can just continuously throw at development to make the game look as good as possible. Remake sold around 5 million copies in 4 months, but then had really bad legs, and it took 3 years sell an additional 2.5 million.

What we're seeing with Rebirth is them trying to give us as much as possible, with a budget that makes sense given the circumstances. I think if the game looked truly next gen, while also delivering the amount of content it's giving us, I would want to know if they literally had the dev team chained to their seats on feeding tubes.

scydrex

I hope the final game runs and looks better. Apparently the demo is based in a old version. Will wait and see more of the final game. The performance mode on the demo looks like ass. Worse than the remake or part 1 whatever. The 30fps looks fine but with a fast combat no thanks.

Last edited:
Given that Rebirth will be much bigger and much more open than Remake, and the fact that I'm sure the dev team want to release the game at a reasonable time, something had to give. Square doesn't have Fuck You money they can just continuously throw at development to make the game look as good as possible. Remake sold around 5 million copies in 4 months, but then had really bad legs, and it took 3 years sell an additional 2.5 million.

What we're seeing with Rebirth is them trying to give us as much as possible, with a budget that makes sense given the circumstances. I think if the game looked truly next gen, while also delivering the amount of content it's giving us, I would want to know if they literally had the dev team chained to their seats on feeding tubes.
3f2.jpeg

Tqaulity

Edit:...Of course the game would be best experienced on PC where we wouldn't need to pick between performance and graphics. But it should be manageable on PS5.
Wait what? FIrst, anytime you go into graphics settings for a game on PC you are effectively adjusting the balance between performance and quality (i.e. picking between perf and graphics). In fact, console gamers have it easier by typically having a binary toggle of fidelity/quality or performance whereas PCs expose all of those dozens of knobs to effectively do the same thing. Of course, the only time you may be able to just click max settings and get 4K/60+ perf without much thought would be on the top spec PCs which is not representative of 98% of people playing. Most people will have to tinker a bit to find the "optimized settings" that provides the best balance for their system.

Once again, "the PC" is not some single top spec machine and it's simply not accurate to say "the game would be best experienced on PC where we wouldn't need to pick....". Even if you don't have to pick on your high end machine, it's a bit presumptuous to act like a whole lot of people won't have to do much more than just toggle between graphics and performance to get an adequate experience.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Booted the demo, and I mean, yeah sure, it looks a bit blurry in performance mode, but nothing I haven't seen in other games before to be honest.

Walked around a bit, went near objects and didn't saw the texture popup like Part 1 had, for example.

As someone who played FFVII Remake part 1 at 30 fps, performance is a godsend.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So why the fuck release shit like this? 90% of the time this "old build" talk is just pure bullshit and demos are almost exactly like launch versions.

Because there are delays pushing anything through QA and Cert. The demo is essentially an extra build to be maintained and debugged in parallel with the main game SKU during the big push to final.

Making a demo is not free. Its more work.

Monokrom

I just finished the demo. 30fps mode was too choppy so I played in the 60fps mode which was quite good. I'm very excited. :)
When will the demo get its update to play Dawn of a New Era in Junon?

Luipadre

Finished it. Quality mode looks really good with amazing HDR and its just as responsive at 30 fps as the first game. Performance mode is a no go for me, because its really blurry, sub 1080p in open areas. The slow walk and qte sections were too long and annoying, also i noticed that this game still hase a bunch of low poly objects and super low ress textures on objects and terrain, really disappointing. Its the FF7 remake door all over again

30 fps was rock solid locked 30 all the way through, but id like to see a little bit more motion blur since it looks a bit juddery on OLED

Quantum253

I spent 2 hours in the demo last night.
I'm currently using an old 27" 1080p monitor running on performance mode.
Graphically, the overall aesthetics are nice. Even in the limited demo area, the scope feels massive. The rocks, lighting, and environmental assets all look fantastic when taking it all in. However, just like people are pointing out when individually focusing on certain areas( rocks, off the beaten path) some of it looks rough. For example, a waterfall on the edge of the playable area and a river (when first coming out of Nibelheim) looked pretty rough and used very low texture assets. I imagine a lot of areas where most people won't go will have lower assets to make the beaten path look better.

Combat was smooth and fun and will take a while to master, especially with the added features.

My biggest grip is the terrain traversal. It feels horrible and completely jarring to auto-jump on random things. I'm not sure why it feels so bad, It's almost like the game runs at 60fps, but the jumping drops to 30fps, making it this weird detachment (I eventually got used to some of it). The other part is walking/running around the environment, and Cloud just starts walking incredibly slowly and running/rolling is disabled for no reason (like walking in mud). It just randomly happens in random open areas. I don't know if the game is loading, they trying to give weight to hills, I have no idea. This was by far the worst part of the open field area, It didn't do it in the enclosed parts for the rest of the demo. Only in this open field going up the mountain. However, It does make me wonder what the open area part 2 demo will be like.

Let me know if this should have a spoiler warning... Wasn't sure since not talking about the story

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Didn't have a lot of time last night, but snuck in about 40 minutes this morning. Watched the "Story so far" cinematic, which was a pretty excellent recap of the first game. Then started the demo scenario, made it to Nibelheim, and did a few of the main quests there before having to come to work.

I'm really excited about this game. Need to finish up Like A Dragon in the next few weeks (already 30 hours in!)

Top Bottom