• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster |OT| Great Games Released on the Wrong Platforms

clem84

Gold Member
Does anyone know at what time new games hit Steam? FFIV is supposed to come out today, sept. 8th. It's 1h00AM eastern and it's still not out. Tomorrow?

borborygmus

Does anyone know at what time new games hit Steam? FFIV is supposed to come out today, sept. 8th. It's 1h00AM eastern and it's still not out. Tomorrow?
Steam says FFIV will unlock in approximately 7 hours, at least in my region.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fuck yeah, today's the day.

Final Fantasy IV is such a great game. I feel envious for people who are playing this for the very first time.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
As silly of a thing as it may seem, I though exploring the castle at the start was one of thr coolest things ever. Hidden rooms, random npcs, it’s still what I remember most about thr fourth entry. Can’t wait to listen to the remastered ost!

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
As silly of a thing as it may seem, I though exploring the castle at the start was one of thr coolest things ever. Hidden rooms, random npcs, it’s still what I remember most about thr fourth entry. Can’t wait to listen to the remastered ost!
Ya as a kid, I thought this was so cool. Talking to everyone and having free reign over the castle was really cool. I always liked talking with the Dragoons

Icymanipulator

Gold Member

I’m really liking the added detail on Tellah
sU0VlMG.png

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Really liking the graphical style and glorious music of FFIV Pixel Remaster.
However, after playing for a while I'm quite certain its difficulty is based on the easytype SNES version. All the bosses and random enemies disintegrate on impact.
The PSP version is noticeably tougher and the 3D DS version is exponentially harder.
I get that they're trying to appeal to the mobile (read: casual) market, but these remasters really could've used a Hard mode.

borborygmus

I recently played the FF1 and FF4 remasters and I have some mixed feelings about them and this series of remasters as a whole.

In general, my expectation of a remaster is for it to be the definitive version of a game, but instead these games feel more like alternative rather than definitive versions. For instance, the redone music, while great, feels like it celebrates the original tracks but isn't really equivalent. The ability to speed through the battles as well as the difficulty being rebalanced and made much easier definitely changes how these games feel.

There is nothing inherently wrong with any of this. These remasters are very enjoyable, and the NES games in particular are just too outdated (imho) so breezing through them with these versions seems like a great way to go through them and probably my preferred way to do so. But there is something in the originals that is not captured here, and this is more apparent in the post-NES games like FF4. I enjoyed the FF4 remaster a lot, but a lot of that was because of how it reminded me of the original. I am of the opinion that the original SNES version (and maybe some of the other remasters - I haven't played them all) has something very significant that is missing here, and this remaster ends up being more of a celebration of the original than a replacement.

There is definitely mobile/casual feel because of this, as described by the poster above.

I think this approach is actually going to be perfect for FF5, which I think of as an unserious game with a lot of fodder to grind through. However, I don't think this approach is going to do it for me, at all, for FF6, which is the first in the series that I consider to be intricately built and "serious." Auto-battle is going to kind of kill some of the feeling that is present when exploring in FF6, especially if the game is made easier. Ideally if they wanted to modernize it, they should have fewer random battles and rebalance all the monsters accordingly, but I know there's no chance of them doing that.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Auto battle isn’t the problem. As a kid we would just hold the button down during most random encounters anyway

the problem is the extremely easy difficulty level. Very little strategy needed for boss fights, which does make certain story moments less impactful because so many of the challenges are just a breeze.

This is one of the reasons I love the 3D remake of FF4, it’s very challenging and that made battles more meaningful. I hope they add a hard mode update at some point. Would be nice for those who want the extra challenge.

Kev Kev

God I hope this comes out on consoles. Everyone talking about it being easier has me very excited. If it was difficult I’d probably just wind up getting annoyed and giving up.

Not playing on mobile tho 🤷‍♂️ Come on Square! Take my money

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Auto battle isn’t the problem. As a kid we would just hold the button down during most random encounters anyway

the problem is the extremely easy difficulty level. Very little strategy needed for boss fights, which does make certain story moments less impactful because so many of the challenges are just a breeze.

This is one of the reasons I love the 3D remake of FF4, it’s very challenging and that made battles more meaningful. I hope they add a hard mode update at some point. Would be nice for those who want the extra challenge.

Let's be honest here. Unless this is your first time playing, which I assume most of us are not, there would have been no challenge anyway. We know these bosses and enemies like the backs of our hands. We know the builds and abilities needed to take them down with ease. I played through FF4 on the DS not too long ago and breezed through it, despite it supposedly being the most difficult version. They can raise up the numbers, but outside of RNG crits or errors in the battle system, it can't be made difficult at this point.

Its like Pokemon. As a kid, you may have struggled against Whitney's Miltank or the original Elite Four. Lance may have given you trouble. But now? As adults? None of them pose a single threat. Yet kids still struggle, because its new. Its unfamiliar. As you grow familiarty with a system, with a franchise, it inherently loses its difficulty.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So with the rate they are going, we should expect FFVI in December/January and hopefully an announcement for a console releases by summer 2022? Assuming Square isn‘t fucking retarded?

I have actually gotten a chance to play on my new iPad and I do love the changes. These are good titles, so why they limited it to mobile and PC baffles me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So with the rate they are going, we should expect FFVI in December/January and hopefully an announcement for a console releases by summer 2022? Assuming Square isn‘t fucking retarded?
Final Fantasy VI originally said "Coming 2021" on the Steam page, that's been replaced with "Coming Soon". If I had to guess, it'll be January at the earliest.

Also, I would 100% double-dip on this if there were a physical Switch release (even if I had to import it). The only weird thing is the price tag - $75 on Steam (and I'm assuming other storefronts as well) for the whole package. If they released it on PS5, I could see it being $69.99 as that's kinda been generally accepted. If they made a console release of all of these and hit the $59.99 price point, it would fly off the shelves. Honestly not sure why they didn't offer that much of a bundle discount to begin with, considering these have all been pretty heavily discounted through sites like Green Man Gaming at/close to launch anyway. I'm the sucker that bought the whole bundle on Steam when the pre-order went live, but my son has been buying them piecemeal from GMG and I doubt he'll go much over $60 when it's all said and done.

Last edited:

jshackles

The music in these games continues to absolutely impress me. So far it's my favorite part of this Final Fantasy V re-release.

Top Bottom