• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster |OT| Great Games Released on the Wrong Platforms

I bought the first one on Android and immediately regretted it. It doesn't even support controllers.

Hopefully, these come to Switch. Otherwise, I'll play them if I ever get a Steam Deck.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Don't ever talk to me again.
SpeedyMilkyHornedviper-max-1mb.gif

blackjon24

Never had so much fun with ff1, loving this port! Amazing soundtrack and visuals. Diagonal walking and mini map is a game changer as well.

I was debating getting the iOS version and it just came down to square enix terrible post launch support for their mobile apps.

Cant wait to get to ff6 since I’ve never put more than a few hours into it as embarrassing as that is to admit as a ff fan lol

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I've never played 1 2 3 4.

I think I'll get 3 pixel remaster. The go ps1 version of 1 and 2. The psp version of 4 so I get a bit of each graphical style

cireza

Great example of everything that is wrong nowadays with fonts and huds/menus in games. This is one of the worst case I have ever seen. Not adapted in any way for handheld play. How can you even manage to read anything on a tiny screen ? WTF...

Last edited:

Mato

I haven't played any of the old FF games but am interested in trying one out on PC. I'm thinking of going with FF3 because I've heard that Japanese players are rather fond of it. What do you guys think?

ManaByte

Great example of everything that is wrong nowadays with fonts and huds/menus in games. This is one of the worst case I have ever seen. Not adapted in any way for handheld play. How can you even manage to read anything on a tiny screen ? WTF...
It's fine on iPads and iPad mini.

I was so disappointed in another topic when the lack of the expanded content was mentioned. F1&2 and FF4-FF6 GBA were my introductions to the series. What shame that the production-wise definitive versions are missing content the versions with graphical/audio deficits had.

Myths

Coming for FF1/FF2/FF3, the rest are basically the same from GBA i bet.

FF3 is where it’s at.

I'm playing a bit of FF1 and having fun. I've never been the biggest fan of FF (I prefer Dragon Quest) and I think the first three games are somewhat too weak, but I can't say I'm not enjoying it so far. The music is this version, specially, is pretty great. The QoL upgrades are also top notch.

A shame about the very weird VSync problem on PC, though. Font fix is applied very easily and works for other languages as well (despite being Brazilian and knowing English, I always like to play JRPGs in Spanish so I learn a little more of the language)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In honor of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster collection, we reveal seven things you (probably) didn't know about the original three RPGs on NES - from their real names to their secret connection to Dungeons & Dragons.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Having a heck of a time getting the Warmech to spawn in the 5F of the flying fortress. Anyone else get it? Is it bugged in this version maybe? I sat there and grinded on enemies til all my characters were over level 50, took about 2 hours, still no spawn.

Wanna complete that bestiary for the achievement.

EDIT: finally got him, my guys are now level 55 lol

Last edited:

Hnjohngalt

Anyone know the button combo to activate the slide puzzle in the first game? I've tried all the previous button combos to no success.
If i remember right it was ab hit 50 times. Or hold select button and mash ab buttons at same time of 50 times... its been 30+ years. Sorry cant remember

Update.. hold a and push b 55 times in ship aka boat

Last edited:

kevm3

I'm really unimpressed with the 'improvements'. It seems like they reduced the contrast on the sprites and hence they actually look less detailed. From what I've seen, these games look like something that came out of rpgmaker.

final_fantasy_pixel_remaster_series_comparison-with-pc1.png

Honestly, these games look like a project they handed over to new devs to get them practice at working on a game.

ManaByte

I'm really unimpressed with the 'improvements'. It seems like they reduced the contrast on the sprites and hence they actually look less detailed. From what I've seen, these games look like something that came out of rpgmaker.

Honestly, these games look like a project they handed over to new devs to get them practice at working on a game.

The new sprites have more colors than the SNES ones.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm actually really digging the sprite work. Of course, the only games in the collection that are out so far are the ones that were originally on the NES so it'll be interesting to see if my opinion changes when there are direct in-game comparables.

I'm also interested to see how they handle Final Fantasy 6 in this collection. These sprite layouts seem based on Final Fantasy V - square sprites for overworld, taller sprites for battles. But 6 had tall sprites everywhere. Hope they don't fuck it up.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Those “hd” sprites… 🤢🤮

The new ones look more like the originals did on a CRT than the originals do on a modern TV. That's the point.

Pejo

Awful. They should at least include options for the original 16 bit sprites. So it looks like PSP versions where available are still the best.

kevm3

The new ones look more like the originals did on a CRT than the originals do on a modern TV. That's the point.
People don't like CRT because of reduced contrast in color. They like them because it blurred the image and made pixel based games look much less blocky. There is no 'blurring of the image' in these 'pixel remasters'. They just stripped out the contrast and flattened the sprites and kept the blocky look, which is a downgrade. Square has the audacity to charge nearly 20 dollars a game for each one of these 'pixel remasters' aside from the first one?

If they wanted to give these games a 'CRT look' they would have been better served just throwing a CRT filter over the original sprites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom