• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster |OT| Great Games Released on the Wrong Platforms

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
9PjDCQ7.png

Welcome to the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster OT thread

iu
iu

header.jpg

The original that started it all. Join the four warriors of light as they journey to find the four crystals and destroy CHAOS! This is where everything started.

header.jpg

The oppressive Emperor is ruling with an iron fist, and it's up to Firion and his gang to stop him. Guide a great cast of memorable characters as they level up in odd and mysterious ways to accomplish their mission of overthrowing the government. The first game in the series to have named / pre-made characters, and a very controversial level up system.

header.jpg

You are the Onion Kids Warriors of Light and you're trying to restore balance to the world. But the world you know isn't what it seems. This game introduces series staples such as Chocobos, airships, summons, and the Job System. This is the first time the game has been released in 2D in the West!

header.jpg

A modern tale of betrayal and redemption. One man's heart will be tested - will he and his friends be able to bring peace to the world, and the worlds beyond? An epic tale with an amazing cast of loveable characters. An emotional rollercoaster of a story told through pixels.

header.jpg

Buttz Bartz and his trusty chocobo Boko get tangled up in a tale of princesses, pirates, meteors, and monsters. He and his new friends must find all of the world's crystals before they shatter - or is it already too late? This game takes the job system from the third game and (in my opinion) perfects it. If you only play one game from this collection, this one should be it.

header.jpg

Terra was a Magitech pilot who lost her memories. Follow her as she joins the resistance and fights back against her former oppressors. But watch out, the evil court jester Kefka may be more sinister than he appears! This game takes a lot of it's inspiration from 4 (the only other SNES game in the series originally released in the West) by spinning a moving tale with a giant cast of memorable characters.

FAQS:
Are these games coming to the Switch or other consoles?
Maybe.

Do these games have any of the extra content from the previous remakes?
No, they are based on the original releases only.

Can I play with the original soundtrack?
No, but there is a music player built in for you to enjoy the re-arranged soundtrack any time. Hopefully the PC modding community restores the option to toggle between them.

That font is terrible - can I change it?
Hopefully the PC modding community makes that possible soon. Those fonts are a crime against nature.

Why are these games so expensive? They're basically just ROMs.
Square Enix likes money.

Can I buy all of the games at once on Steam?
Yes but it'll set you back $75.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Game supports (almost) full ultrawide screen resolution without stretching, which is nice.

First game has the infamously bad original magic system (number of uses per level, rather than actual MP)

y7gkTcN.png

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I really like the changes to the first game to make it m uch more playable today. For example in the original if you were set to attack the same enemy with two characters and it died on the first attack the second attack would just be wasted now it goes to next enemy.

I am getting horrible tearing in window mode though.

jshackles

I really like the changes to the first game to make it m uch more playable today. For example in the original if you were set to attack the same enemy with two characters and it died on the first attack the second attack would just be wasted now it goes to next enemy.

I am getting horrible tearing in window mode though.
Agreed, there are some nice touches here that make it a pretty good remake. The ability to optimize equipment is nice (although it keeps trying to equip my monk with a staff, ugh). Pressing B to run in towns and dungeons is also a good feature. The 8 way diagonal movement is kinda jarring, but a welcome feature.

I'm also getting super bad screen tearing, both in fullscreen and windowed mode.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Agreed, there are some nice touches here that make it a pretty good remake. The ability to optimize equipment is nice (although it keeps trying to equip my monk with a staff, ugh). Pressing B to run in towns and dungeons is also a good feature. The 8 way diagonal movement is kinda jarring, but a welcome feature.

I'm also getting super bad screen tearing, both in fullscreen and windowed mode.
I forced vsync in the nvidia panel and that works.

jshackles

jshackles

Anyone know the button combo to activate the slide puzzle in the first game? I've tried all the previous button combos to no success.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Are these playable on an Apple TV?

In any case I am not sure if I want to get them for iOS or wait until my Steam Deck arrives and play them all again there.

Orenji Neko

Half way through FF1。
May be my favorite version of it。

Hated WSC PS GBA PSP version s and look。

Looking forward to getting to FF3as it is my favorite of FC FF games。 Still have cartridge father brought me for my birthday so long ago。

Playing all in order so it saved for last。

Last edited:

jshackles

I just can’t. It’s such a step back from the psp ones. I want to buy it, then I look at the screen shots and the videos on YouTube and the graphics are just too NES/super early SNES for me to get into.
Disclaimer: I'm only about half way through the first game.

I feel like this is a two steps forward, one step back situation. The graphics aren't as nice as the PSP version, although some people might like the Final Fantasy IV / V aesthetic better than the highly stylized PSP release. For the first game, I feel like the PSP version was far too easy as it included the modern day magic points (MP) system that took a huge amount of strategy away from the gameplay overall especially for groups with 2 or more mages. Additionally, this version has some quality of life features that even the PSP version didn't have - such as the minimap overlay, autobattle system, or how the game autosaves every time you zone out. I also think the music in this version is leagues better than the PSP release.

The font fix that J JORMBO posted helps tremendously too.

Last edited:
Played FF1 for a bit and honestly surprised that the font isn't as bad as it looks in the screenshots. It doesn't look too bad on an ultrawide monitor, but I do still wish we had a better font though. Am gonna try that Japanese font switch later and see how I like it.

Music is AMAAAZING!

Game supports (almost) full ultrawide screen resolution without stretching, which is nice.

First game has the infamously bad original magic system (number of uses per level, rather than actual MP)

y7gkTcN.png

I preferred the Vancian magic system, at least when it was upped to double digits in the PS1 port.

In the GBA ports onward you were given too much MP.

Merkades

I actually like the font. I prefer things to nice and clean and easily legible. I hate when I check out some indie game (rarish) that uses pixel art and then has a font almost not legible due to the pixelization. Agree with using the control panel to force vsync though, that was terrible. Kind of interesting playing this since I have not since the NES days.

Huh, so there's a bug where if you've set the game to fullscreen and you quit, then load the game again, there is a titlebar is on the top of the screen. To fix it, you have to change back to windowed mode, then back to fullscreen. But then if you quit the game, it'll happen again once you load the game.

Is anyone else getting this? I'm wondering if it happens to everyone else or is it because I'm on ultrawide (3840x1600).

jshackles

Huh, so there's a bug where if you've set the game to fullscreen and you quit, then load the game again, there is a titlebar is on the top of the screen. To fix it, you have to change back to windowed mode, then back to fullscreen. But then if you quit the game, it'll happen again once you load the game.

Is anyone else getting this? I'm wondering if it happens to everyone else or is it because I'm on ultrawide (3840x1600).
It's been doing that to me too, I'm 3440x1440 ultrawide as well, so it could be an ultrawide thing.

ManaByte

I'm on a normal monitor and it does it. It's not saving the preference.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Sad thing is, is that I’ll probably rebuy a few of these. I actually think turn based systems work just fine on mobile touch control. Touching menu items is far more intuitive then scrolling through options with a cursor. Mobile/touch gaming really only suffers when it comes to action games imo, you need a controller as tapping the screen doesn’t provide tactile feedback.

Wait they want like 70 bucks for this? I got the carts for the US releases. Kind of always wanted to play V, even downloaded the earliest fan patch back in the 90s and just never got around to playing more than five minutes in the emulator. 2-3 don't seem that interesting.

Would be cool to have the whole bunch... but.... $20 for the collection, future Steam sale, that's my final offer.

Top Bottom