• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Community |OT| "We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

Lone Denjin

Which Final Fantasy games do you guys think had the greatest sense of danger all throughout, while playing?
Depends on what you mean by danger. Destroying the world the characters are on? or seizing control of the peoples lives/fates. Kefka and Sephiroth are the former, Seymour would be like the latter. Depends on what logic you are running on.
Kefka and Sephiroth are just insane.
Seymour would be the more insidious one to me. Considering his position of power and the means he uses to gain it. Yu Yevon by that point was no longer human, he was just a machine. Arden comes under "tragic Villain". Motivations for the villains widely differ. Ultimecia to me would be the most selfish. Time Kompression was her way of making herself be alone, all powerful but alone.
Kuja's fear of death made him the person he was, that combined with Jealousy over Zidane being the real angel of death from Terra.
Sense of danger depends on what you fear about these Villains. The ones i have not mentioned all have their reasons.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Depends on what you mean by danger. Destroying the world the characters are on? or seizing control of the peoples lives/fates. Kefka and Sephiroth are the former, Seymour would be like the latter. Depends on what logic you are running on.
Kefka and Sephiroth are just insane.
Seymour would be the more insidious one to me. Considering his position of power and the means he uses to gain it. Yu Yevon by that point was no longer human, he was just a machine. Arden comes under "tragic Villain". Motivations for the villains widely differ. Ultimecia to me would be the most selfish. Time Kompression was her way of making herself be alone, all powerful but alone.
Kuja's fear of death made him the person he was, that combined with Jealousy over Zidane being the real angel of death from Terra.
Sense of danger depends on what you fear about these Villains. The ones i have not mentioned all have their reasons.
Danger in the sense of the total amount of time spent while the main characters' lives are in peril. The feeling of the player being in acute danger while experiencing their first playthrough

I’m playing through FFIX, about 60% through it currently I’d guess, and the tension put upon the main characters has been extremely intriguing; how Kuja has been operating. I can see the sheer magnitude of his power in the way he is treating the protagonists but at the same time, this behavior is what is slowly leading up to his inevitable demise (if I’m guessing the remaining portion of the story correctly)
He isn’t pursuing Zidane or his his crew in the slightest. Dagger initially, but even then, he sent underlings and stayed patient in the shadows. It’s like he was confident she’d be captured at some point sooner or later. Kuja has been toying with Zidane and the others 100% up to the point that I’m at. They’re less than human to Kuja and aren’t being targeted. This presents a very unique opportunity for the team

SinDelta

What are you hoping for in Final Fantasy XVI?

Me personally, a similar experience to a single player Final Fantasy XIV. I like the lore building they are already doing in the teasers and previews. Graphics look unfinished but the combat looks crazy.

Last edited:

Lone Denjin

Danger in the sense of the total amount of time spent while the main characters' lives are in peril. The feeling of the player being in acute danger while experiencing their first playthrough

I’m playing through FFIX, about 60% through it currently I’d guess, and the tension put upon the main characters has been extremely intriguing; how Kuja has been operating. I can see the sheer magnitude of his power in the way he is treating the protagonists but at the same time, this behavior is what is slowly leading up to his inevitable demise (if I’m guessing the remaining portion of the story correctly)
He isn’t pursuing Zidane or his his crew in the slightest. Dagger initially, but even then, he sent underlings and stayed patient in the shadows. It’s like he was confident she’d be captured at some point sooner or later. Kuja has been toying with Zidane and the others 100% up to the point that I’m at. They’re less than human to Kuja and aren’t being targeted. This presents a very unique opportunity for the team
In that sense i would have to say 15 did a good job, pushing the protagonists forward with constant magisoldier patrols attacking you when you got out of the car. Made you see they where tracking and hunting you. But i don't know if you want to count that as a gameplay mechanic or not.
My criticism of 15 is quite extensive, but i am willing to admit, that doing that and having "nifs coming in above us" every time you tried to hunt was showing that, it defied convention to a lot of other stories that most enemy factions leave you alone till set event and confrontation points.
I will crap on 7 for this as well. Shinra went in to the background after leaving Midgar and only really picked up again after the Temple. Random Turk fights notwithstanding. But i understand the reason they put them to the back, they needed to do the story arcs of the characters.

Kumomeme

Me personally, a similar experience to a single player Final Fantasy XIV. I like the lore building they are already doing in the teasers and previews. Graphics look unfinished but the combat looks crazy.
Heavensward is the bar since it is handled by same lead. just hope similliar quality of single player as FFXIV with proper story structure, no rushed, missing/cut out content. Everything should be fleshed nicely.

Atleast similiar number and size of explorable town location as expansions in XIV but from the lore and map, we could have more.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
In that sense i would have to say 15 did a good job, pushing the protagonists forward with constant magisoldier patrols attacking you when you got out of the car. Made you see they where tracking and hunting you. But i don't know if you want to count that as a gameplay mechanic or not.
My criticism of 15 is quite extensive, but i am willing to admit, that doing that and having "nifs coming in above us" every time you tried to hunt was showing that, it defied convention to a lot of other stories that most enemy factions leave you alone till set event and confrontation points.
I will crap on 7 for this as well. Shinra went in to the background after leaving Midgar and only really picked up again after the Temple. Random Turk fights notwithstanding. But i understand the reason they put them to the back, they needed to do the story arcs of the characters.

Yeah, FFXV at night felt legitimately dangerous early on in the game as well. The game tells you it’s unsafe to go out, and it really is unless you’re very powerful.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve watched the trailer several times, it looks very strong in its presentation and I felt like enough was given to be extremely excited about. It’s an excellent trailer, and I think that the task of guarding and protecting Clive’s little brother Joshua will be a thrilling aspect of the game. It’s sort of reminded me of Leon protecting the president’s daughter in RE4, except in FFXVI Joshua will probably become powerful and a more capable ally than Ashley ever could be, naturally. Any time a phoenix is involved there is going to be something extraordinary and powerful taking place IMO. So I think those two characters and their development is what I am most interested to see. The Medieval setting is something I’m excited for as well, I hope that Square Enix can create the most cohesive world to date in FFXVI

Might save up for a PS5 just to play this game

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Updated the OP and added ProJared and SomeCallMeJohnny's latest FF reviews (8 and 3 respectively). What are y'all playing? Going to try to go back to FFIX and finish up the plat next month. Just have to do the treasure hunter guide (had missed a few treasure so I couldn't get S rank) and the 1000 Jump Rope achievement. Hoping a good script using AutoKey will help!

Cutty Flam

Banned
1000 Jump Rope achievement
There’s no way, 1000 jumps in a row, is that attainable? I was playing this the other day in Alexandria w/ Vivi and the tempo is extremely difficult. I’m not bad at minigames usually, but getting a mere three jumps was something I couldn’t do. Maybe the Switch Pro controller is a poor choice for it

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
There’s no way, 1000 jumps in a row, is that attainable? I was playing this the other day in Alexandria w/ Vivi and the tempo is extremely difficult. I’m not bad at minigames usually, but getting a mere three jumps was something I couldn’t do. Maybe the Switch Pro controller is a poor choice for it

It was pretty easy on the original PSX and a CRT TV. Due to the nature of modern TVs and a few tweaks made to the remastered title, the tempo and its ability to read is very much more difficult. Even using AutoHotKey style set ups leaves you with RNG. You can do it the same way 10 times and maybe 2 of those times will succeed. Its really dumb. But I want the platinum :p

Cutty Flam

Banned
It was pretty easy on the original PSX and a CRT TV. Due to the nature of modern TVs and a few tweaks made to the remastered title, the tempo and its ability to read is very much more difficult. Even using AutoHotKey style set ups leaves you with RNG. You can do it the same way 10 times and maybe 2 of those times will succeed. Its really dumb. But I want the platinum :p
I knew something might be up, because the window to jump and it register for me in the game is like 2 milliseconds no joke. I tried five or six times yesterday and I could not get more than two jumps then said fuck it lol

Kev Kev

I’ve been running through my final fantasy seven remake hard mode run through with VA volume turned all the way down. And I like it!

So it mutes the background voices as well, which really helps bring out the music and sound effects. I’m hearing things I wasn’t hearing in previous play Throughs, and I’m not cringing at the sometimes badly placed vocal audio. Not that the voice actors didn’t do a good job, they did! It’s just that the editing and the volume in these games never does the Voice actors any justice. I’m not sure what it is, it just never sounds right.

One of my main complaints about Final Fantasy in recent years has been the bad editing of the voices into the mix of the game. Whether that be the timing and cadence of their voice, or simply just a bad mix with the levels of the audio volume when compared to the music and sound effects going on around them. plus, it gets rid of all the jrpg-ish elements in the vocals like the grunting and “ers” and “uhs”

I actually think I prefer this this way, and I might play future installments of the remake just like this, with the voice turned all the way down. Pretty cool, try it out!

Last edited:

Kev Kev

managed to beat the pride and joy in ffvii remake. had to look up the "make it look easy" guide, took several tries but it was worth it. i didnt know what kind of reward you got, and was pleasantly surprised to find out. now on to beating the remaining levels on hard, and then clean up on a few trophies and i will be earning my first platinum in probably over a decade, heck yeah 👊

Last edited:

Kev Kev

started a replay of og ffvii today. this is my first time playing with the updated character sprites. they look so much better! god i love this game. im looking forward to comparing what it looks like to the remake, since im just coming fresh off of ffvii remake. and its been a while since i played through this game so im excited to dig into the story again and maybe find 1 or 2 things i never noticed before :messenger_grinning:

GeekyDad

Still having a good ole time with FFT A2. Got most of the jobs I want for my mains, but still a little undecided with what I'll use for their secondary job abilities for some of them. Plus, I'm only level 24 with most units, so I think I still have one or two more races to gather. Don't think I'd done a playthrough since the game originally release years back. But it's really a fun little game to go back to.

Kev Kev

FFXII RTTP

so i scored 3 months of xbox ultimate for $1 off facebook and decided to try out ffxii zodiac age edition. it looks and sound great and im actually enjoying it a lot so far!

i only ever played a few hours of this game before, and always felt i didnt like it and it just kind of sucked. however im a few hours in now, still in the first city, and im loving it! i havent done much yet but it feels very final fantasy, it is really scratching that FF itch if you know what i mean, and im getting an old school vibe from it. ill update a little itt, as i go along. looking forward to playing through this!

Last edited:

Ixion

FFXII RTTP

so i scored 3 months of xbox ultimate for $1 off facebook and decided to try out ffxii zodiac age edition. it looks and sound great and im actually enjoying it a lot so far!

i only ever played a few hours of this game before, and always felt i didnt like it and it just kind of sucked. however im a few hours in now, still in the first city, and im loving it! i havent done much yet but it feels very final fantasy, it is really scratching that FF itch if you know what i mean, and im getting an old school vibe from it. ill update a little itt, as i go along. looking forward to playing through this!

FF12's story kind of gets off to a slow start, and I'm guessing the battle system might have also thrown you off a bit back then. It's a game that definitely needs at least 5 hours or so before you can really know if it's for you. But it has a very large, open, rich world, and I know you heavily favor open-ended exploration. So yeah you're going to like it a lot.

Kev Kev

FF12's story kind of gets off to a slow start, and I'm guessing the battle system might have also thrown you off a bit back then. It's a game that definitely needs at least 5 hours or so before you can really know if it's for you. But it has a very large, open, rich world, and I know you heavily favor open-ended exploration. So yeah you're going to like it a lot.
sounds good, thanks for the heads up! yeah i really liked that open desert zone right outside of the city. there were hidden pots and gil to find, plus a little oasis town, i even picked up a little side quest from talkin to the locals in the city. im really liking what i see so far! i think ack then i was still wanting them to go back to old school top down rpg, but im over it now. i may even giver 13 another try after this, although i know that one doesnt open up until way later in the game.

Kev Kev

FFXII RTTP

FFXII RTTP #2

Welp, I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I’m 10 hours into this game and I’m absolutely loving it. No idea why I hated it so much back then. Only thing I can assume is that coming off FFIX, I was disappointed with how linear FFX was, and although I enjoyed it, I was really hoping for a return to form with FFXI. FFXI turned out to be an MMO of course, and with a monthly sub, I disappointedly passed it up. So by the time FFXII came around, I was really ready for some good old turn based FF RPG... and long story short, I was heavily disappointed with XII. I remember hating the battle system, and thinking the world felt empty and plastic.

fast forward to now, and after being let down over and over again by square over the last decade, I guess I just kind of let go of the whole return to form idea. So when I popped in FFXII the other day, I didn’t have any expectations, even thought I might still hate it. And I guess that’s the big difference: my expectations and frame of my mind were more susceptible to accepting some of the changes, so I didn’t focus on the negatives.

Instead, I’m seeing a different but fun battle system, a much larger open world than we saw in FFX, plenty of fun game mechanics to play with, some hidden stuff and little puzzles to figure out along the way, actually great VA and cutscene work (I usually hate VAs but these just work for some reason), an awesome fantasy aesthetic and setting, a really interesting story, and much more.

Man, what a 180. Never thought I’d be enjoying this game as much as I am right now. I’m really excited about finishing up this play through. I’ll do short updates along the way. I just escaped from the dungeon after freeing Basch. Seems there is some fuckery afoot with the true story about the king and what the public has been told.

As usual, I am leveling my characters pretty heavily as I go, so the battle is just fun and enjoyable. The gambits and licenses are fun to upgrade and level up. Really enjoying the whole game so far, I have very few complaints. The only one I can think of atm is fleeing from battle, it’s like you can’t really get away because they keep chasing you, and they are pretty fast! Lol so it turns into a weird game of cat and mouse.

Other than that it’s great! I’d have to recommend to others who were in a similar position as me to try out FFXII again. Especially with the updated graphics and music! It looks and sounds great.

That’s it for now. It’s a good feeling to be discovering a new FF that still has one toe in the old school FF feel. Cant wait to see where the story goes.

Last edited:

Valonquar

My only complaint about XII is that it feels like the story ran out too early.
I feel like there should have been more with the Occuria. Also the Incredible Hulk-Bahamut was sorta... ok.

Last edited:

Ixion

FFXII RTTP #2

Welp, I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I’m 10 hours into this game and I’m absolutely loving it. No idea why I hated it so much back then. Only thing I can assume is that coming off FFIX, I was disappointed with how linear FFX was, and although I enjoyed it, I was really hoping for a return to form with FFXI. FFXI turned out to be an MMO of course, and with a monthly sub, I disappointedly passed it up. So by the time FFXII came around, I was really ready for some good old turn based FF RPG... and long story short, I was heavily disappointed with XII. I remember hating the battle system, and thinking the world felt empty and plastic.

fast forward to now, and after being let down over and over again by square over the last decade, I guess I just kind of let go of the whole return to form idea. So when I popped in FFXII the other day, I didn’t have any expectations, even thought I might still hate it. And I guess that’s the big difference: my expectations and frame of my mind were more susceptible to accepting some of the changes, so I didn’t focus on the negatives.

Instead, I’m seeing a different but fun battle system, a much larger open world than we saw in FFX, plenty of fun game mechanics to play with, some hidden stuff and little puzzles to figure out along the way, actually great VA and cutscene work (I usually hate VAs but these just work for some reason), an awesome fantasy aesthetic and setting, a really interesting story, and much more.

Man, what a 180. Never thought I’d be enjoying this game as much as I am right now. I’m really excited about finishing up this play through. I’ll do short updates along the way. I just escaped from the dungeon after freeing Basch. Seems there is some fuckery afoot with the true story about the king and what the public has been told.

As usual, I am leveling my characters pretty heavily as I go, so the battle is just fun and enjoyable. The gambits and licenses are fun to upgrade and level up. Really enjoying the whole game so far, I have very few complaints. The only one I can think of atm is fleeing from battle, it’s like you can’t really get away because they keep chasing you, and they are pretty fast! Lol so it turns into a weird game of cat and mouse.

Other than that it’s great! I’d have to recommend to others who were in a similar position as me to try out FFXII again. Especially with the updated graphics and music! It looks and sounds great.

That’s it for now. It’s a good feeling to be discovering a new FF that still has one toe in the old school FF feel. Cant wait to see where the story goes.

Yeah it was similar for me. I liked FF12 when I first played it, but I was a bit disappointed after my first playthrough since it didn't hit the same notes as games like FF7//FFX. But after playing FF13, with it being so repetitive in terms of gameplay and dialogue, I went back and played FF12, and it just felt so refreshing after that.

So yeah, you mentioned wanting to give FF13 another chance as well, but just a heads up that FF12 and FF13 are almost exactly the opposite games.

My only complaint about XII is that it feels like the story ran out too early.
I feel like there should have been more with the Occuria. Also the Incredible Hulk-Bahamut was sorta... ok.

Yeah the story running out of steam, and the main character being lame, are my two big negatives with the game. The battle system can also get a bit mind numbing after a while since it's so automated. With that said, the story issues aren't as bad with the Zodiac version, since you can speed up the grinding in the second half and improve the pacing.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

FFXII RTTP #2

FFXII RTTP #3

still loving the shit out of this game. the story is a little hard to follow, i even had to look up a synopsis of the first few chapters to make sure iw as understanding evrything correctly, but i got the gist of it, and its pretty interesting so far!

i actually really like the combat. im enjoying doing hunts and checking off the bestiary entries, learning more about the game world as i complete each monsters required kill count (usually 10 for weak mosnters, less for the stronger ones. im having fun playing with gambits and i like the weapons/items systems they are using, licensing is great too!

my only new complaints are that im not using magic and technicks as much as id like to be. i assume i will be digging more into them as they game goes on, but im around lvl 15 for all my char's and havent seen enough black magic opening up on their license boards. or in some cases, like ashe i believe, they dont have fire available on their license board, only fira, but i cant find fira in shops, so me making her a red battle mage is kind of useless until i can get my license tiles activated AND find the spells in shop. that part of th system seems a bit redundant, but its still fun and it works. pretty minor complaint really, as the battle is still fairly simple and easy so far.

im about the enter the sandsea west of westersand, heading for tomb of the wraith king (or something like that?). so far im liking this game even more than ffx which i just played through recently. the game world feels so much more open and explorable. it really feels like a great FF, although different in its approach. at this point i still have to highly recommend this to anyone who passed up on ffxii, or only made it a couple hours in. it hold up well, you just have to be ready for a little bit of a different FF experience.

edit: oh, and i also have to make one note: the different towns and areas you go to arent varied looking enough for my taste. each town and area looks for brown and tan, desert looking and just in general seems like the reused a lot of assets. im holding out hope for some different looking area (snow, mountain, grassy, swamp, etc.) but at the same time i cant remember an FF that took place in mostly desert locales, so im okay with it for now... but itd be nice if they changed up the aesthetic a bit

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Final Fantasy is a pretty cool dude. He Chaoses and HAHAHAHAHAHA and Bobby Corwens and doesn't afraid of anything.

Unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy XIII was great.

Unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy XV was pretty good.

Super Saiya-Jin Unpopular Opinion: The Tsviets from Dirge of Cerberus remind me of FOXHOUND.

Thabass

Okay, I'm here:

Here's the first of many hot-takes:

Final Fantasy XIV is the best Final Fantasy game. Period. Done. Fin.

Also FFVII Remake Battle System > FFVII Battle system.

Runs

Digity

qMuWBUi.png

I love Final Fantasy, VII, IX, X, and XII are my favourites. I couldn't stand VIII as a child but plan on going through it with cheats enabled to just enjoy the story. I still listen to the music of Nobuo Uematsu regularly.

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Summoned here by Cutty Flam!

Hello everyone! Playing FFXIV Shadowbringers at this moment and loving it, this a gem of a game.

(I've loved FF since the first and even with some ups and downs I'm still excited to buy the next mainline games.)

Alphagear

Favourite FF is FF7 though FF6 would probably be my favorite if it got a decent remake which it really needs.

Loved all FFs from FF4 to FF10. Then Sakaguchi left. FF isn't FF without Sakaguchi just like MGS isn't without Kojima.

FF12 was decent.

FF13 and FF15 were shite.

Korranator

Hell of a summons...... lol

I prefer the old ones. 7>6>4>1 Of the newer releases 9>10>12, stopped playing the series after 12. Just didn't care for it after the original creators left.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I enjoyed all the mainline games (haven't played XI and XIV)... Except for FFII.

Other non-mainline FFs I've played: Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, IV: The After Years, World of FF, Type-0, X-2, XIII-2, LR: FFXIII.

I'd probably say X is my most favorite due to the cast, the charm of the environment, the music, and the damn awesome summons.

Second is probably FFIV and FFVI (though I play IV much more).

I liked FFXIII in terms of graphical presentation and gameplay. Probably the best ATB system for me.

JeloSWE

May favorites are: FF7 and FF7R, FF8 and FF13. Could never bring my self to finish 9, didn't like the forced limit breaker after getting used to the way they worked in 7 and 13-3 was so ugly graphically and the battle mechanic wasn't engaging enough. I did like 10, X-2, 12, 13-2 and 15 but they were not mind blowing good.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ive been summoned Cutty Flam Cutty Flam ...

Really waiting for more details about the 1-6 remakes now. Although I have a bad feeling.

Ive never played 1-4. Well I played some of 4. I really wish these new versions will be the definative versions and for Steam also its my dream, but we are talking about SquareEnix here.

Last edited:

Andyliini

If those I-VI remakes ever come to Switch, I'll be there day one. Can't be worse than the PS1 ports I've been playing up to now.

Have had an urge to play or replay a Final Fantasy game lately, but haven't been able to get around to it. Maybe soon.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
If those I-VI remakes ever come to Switch, I'll be there day one. Can't be worse than the PS1 ports I've been playing up to now.

Have had an urge to play or replay a Final Fantasy game lately, but haven't been able to get around to it. Maybe soon.

PS1 ports were absolutley fine. FF1-2 for PS1 got the facelift, FF5-6 for PS1 were great ports and got the FMV intro and ending, just the load times were a bit annoying.

If we got these versions on Steam I would be completely fine.

I have a bad feeling though they will be more like the Android versions, with horrible UI optimized for phones and then just ported to PC like that with no thought or care.

Cutty Flam

Banned
"I'm looking for a truffle pig. Someone stole her"

-Nic Cage

Purchased Final Fantasy X earlier, and now have all the main FF games that Switch sells (VII, VIII, IX, X, XII)

The only issue has been deciding which one to play, but FFVII is likely next. It's been back and forth with FFVII and FFXV but for now it's like 95% locked that I'll play FFVII. I loved checking out the LTTPs from others when first learning about Final Fantasy series earlier in the year. My first ever LTTP ended up being for my first Final Fantasy game played as well, with FFIX. It was an outstanding experience; the LTTP as well as the game itself, especially. I'm usually the type to let gaming (single player) become sort of a meditation of sorts and when you do a LTTP I noticed that you look even closer into the game you're playing so that you can share it w/ others which can be great. It was a lot of fun. I think I'll try it again with FFVII maybe. A LTTP thread can help enhance a gaming experience in a variety of ways so I'd definitely recommend it

Overall thoughts with FFIX would be tough to summarize. That is a game for the ages, truly. It left me in an emotional state like no other game before has after having finished it, which completely threw me off as I was not expecting that at all. Actually, it took a good week or two before I had managed to calm down some from the effects FFIX had on me; it was that profound

Tbh I made a fucking ton of rookie mistakes even with all the help, guidance, tips, and knowledge sent my way from other members here at gaf, but even then, the playthrough was still one of a kind and wouldn't trade it for anything. You know it's a great JRPG game when you felt like you could have played the game a hundred different ways and still miss something. Anything I can say about FFIX is just scratching the surface. It's a legendary game. And you just have to play it to know it. When Square Enix gets around to remaking this game, it will probably floor the gaming community and those who will play it for the first time

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
"I'm looking for a truffle pig. Someone stole her"

-Nic Cage

Purchased Final Fantasy X earlier, and now have all the main FF games that Switch sells (VII, VIII, IX, X, XII)

Good write up. I only started FF9 years ago and I fell off but I have always wanted to give it another try.

Given the games you own I would play the remainder in order so 7, 8, 10, 12.

You are in for a real treat with 7. Glad you are playing the OG version.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Good write up. I only started FF9 years ago and I fell off but I have always wanted to give it another try.

Given the games you own I would play the remainder in order so 7, 8, 10, 12.

You are in for a real treat with 7. Glad you are playing the OG version.
There was only one 'mistake' I regret making during my playthrough with FFIX and that is that I did not invest nearly the right amount of time into battle. If I could go back in time I would have focused on growing every character in the party to incredible heights or strengths, acquiring and learning every single attack or defensive move, earning every ability for each character, and leveling them up further, much further. Even if it meant using the speed up cheat to do that at some points, it would have been worth it. To see each character reach further points of power and to use them equally while exploring the overworld, that would have been more fun. I primarily stuck to my four strongest but it would have been more exhilarating and even more rewarding in several ways were I to have taken more risks with my crew. Even if it meant having to start over and fight again. It would have been 100% worth it. That's what I'm going to do better in the next one, and I would personally hope that nobody makes that same mistake. Growing strong throughout the game with the characters is crucial imo for these JRPGs. If you decide to play it all the way through eventually, that would be my one tip - to invest in the entire party's development in all areas

The order in which to play them is so fucking tough to decide on. Idk what's wrong with me lol. Each one sounds like the right one to go with and I've heavily contemplated playing them all next. From FFVII to FFXV (excluding FFXI and FFXIII) I have thought seriously about playing each one next. Each game's story and protagonist(s) seem very intriguing, and it kinda makes it difficult to select one being so new to the series lol. But since I've listened closely to everyone who has talked to me here about the games, or has made a LTTP/RTTP etc. I know that each game is likely tremendous in its own way(s), and that there is no wrong choice. FFVII feels right though, probably gonna select it next unless FFXV or FFX does something to convince otherwise

And I can't wait to eventually begin FFVII. It might be a month until then but it's going to be a lot of fun seeing what the game is all about

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
There was only one 'mistake' I regret making during my playthrough with FFIX and that is that I did not invest nearly the right amount of time into battle. If I could go back in time I would have focused on growing every character in the party to incredible heights or strengths, acquiring and learning every single attack or defensive move, earning every ability for each character, and leveling them up further, much further. Even if it meant using the speed up cheat to do that at some points, it would have been worth it. To see each character reach further points of power and to use them equally while exploring the overworld, that would have been more fun. I primarily stuck to my four strongest but it would have been more exhilarating and even more rewarding in several ways were I to have taken more risks with my crew. Even if it meant having to start over and fight again. It would have been 100% worth it. That's what I'm going to do better in the next one, and I would personally hope that nobody makes that same mistake. Growing strong throughout the game with the characters is crucial imo for these JRPGs. If you decide to play it all the way through eventually, that would be my one tip - to invest in the entire party's development in all areas

The order in which to play them is so fucking tough to decide on. Idk what's wrong with me lol. Each one sounds like the right one to go with and I've heavily contemplated playing them all next. From FFVII to FFXV (excluding FFXI and FFXIII) I have thought seriously about playing each one next. Each game's story and protagonist(s) seem very intriguing, and it kinda makes it difficult to select one being so new to the series lol. But since I've listened closely to everyone who has talked to me here about the games, or has made a LTTP/RTTP etc. I know that each game is likely tremendous in its own way(s), and that there is no wrong choice. FFVII feels right though, probably gonna select it next unless FFXV or FFX does something to convince otherwise

And I can't wait to eventually begin FFVII. It might be a month until then but it's going to be a lot of fun seeing what the game is all about

Ya maybe give that strategy a try with the next FF you play. Maxing your whole party to level 99 plus all ultimate weapons etc can be fun, but it's a def grind. Also your team gets so OP it makes the end not as fun.

Kev Kev

I think I’ve figured out what’s been bothering me about FF since FFX…

You guys know how when you’re reading a book you have to use your imagination for the voices and the emotion and inflection and tone and everything? Well with VAs we don’t have to do that with FF anymore, and I think that’s really taking away from a lot away from the games. FF seems to have become more and more limited over the years, to the point that the worlds aren’t as big or explorable, the missions and side quests are by the numbers or just follow the blue arrow type of deals and the VAs are given to us without leaving anything up to our imaginations.

I know I’m not the only one who feels this way, and sometimes the VAs can be good, but for whatever reason I feel like going back and playing these old FFs is really revealing to me how much I enjoy using my imagination. It’s making want to go and read a book, at times.

As such, I’ve recently been turning off the VAs and just using subs, and not gonna lie, I’m really enjoying it more that way.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Specifically pertaining to the VA vs Subs but, but not limited to the idea that the games have limited the player more and more over the years, generally speaking .

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What are your thoughts on the matter? Specifically pertaining to the VA vs Subs but, but not limited to the idea that the games have limited the player more and more over the years, generally speaking .
I kind of had the same thought in reverse when they announced they were doing an animated Final Fantasy IX. There is no way in hell that any voice actors, regardless of how good they are, will do these characters justice over the way they sound in all of our heads.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I remember and old interview, I think it was with Sakaguchi, where he said that with older FFs you basically had to design the presentation as if you were designing a play/theatre.
Since the characters had no voice, they had to exaggerate the characters' body language to make them more expressive.
So in a way, playing those old FFs is like watching a play. Squaresoft mastered this on the PS1 era, and reached their peak with FF9.

Ultimately, both voiced and silent characters can work if done well.
I believe the problem with Final Fantasy is Square-Enix themselves. Without Sakaguchi and Uematsu they've lost their way.
Now it's just a company focused on making money above all else.

An interesting video:

Yes exactly. It was like watching a play or reading a book, and there was a sense of endearment you had for the characters because you were interacting with them through your imagination, because you had to. Sometimes my mind would wonder and I’d be imagining the whole scene, actually standing their with the characters and using my imagination the same way you do with comics or a novel. FFIX is a big fantastical, theatre based adventure novel in video game form. But it’s only like that because we are using the animations as cues for imagining their voices and what they might look like if they weren’t sprite in a video game.

Now, with all the extra polish, high quality VAs and animation, nothing is left up to your mind. They took the fantasy out of it, they stopped giving the player the freedom to fantasize being in that world and imagine what it would sound like, looks like, smell like, etc…

That video is pretty spot on top. The dude uses some pretty strong words lol, but I agree with most of what he is saying. They really don’t care about what made the franchise what it is, and they are going to keep pumping mediocre content in order to milk the cow.

FFVIIR is really the nail in the coffin for me. I love the FFVII world so much that I still played it and enjoyed it for what it was, but it was nothing compared to what it could have been. It broke my heart to see how much of the story they changed, all the stuff they are trying to stuff in there compilation wise (I didn’t play any of that stuff so I am kind of lost on some of it), the long hallways that we ALL complained about, the way they are kingdom hearts-ifyng the whole fucking thing, and so much more. They just don’t give a fuck. They just want to make a bunch of money and they know their anime wanker fan base will eat all this shit up. Smh, it’s a fucking shame man.

Anyway, I know we are supposed to try and be positive ITT, so I’ll drop the SE hating.

In other news, I’m 40 hours into FFXII (basically my first time play it), and I’m actually enjoying. It feels more like FF Tactics 2 than it does a main line FF entry, but I’m glad I came back to give it a shot. I guess 15+ years and little change of perspective can help change your mind about things 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom