• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Community |OT| "We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

Irobot82

You know i have been replaying FF8 and for the life of me, did they ever think of balance at all haha.
Playing cards, instead of levelling up the normal way is so damn broken. Not to mention you can get Squalls ultimate weapon before the end of disk 1.
I like it for its oddness in the FF series and how unlike the others it is in this regard.
It's a beautiful system, great game, story and characters, but hot damn it's broken. And grindy as fuck to suck the magic out. Shit I love that game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You know i have been replaying FF8 and for the life of me, did they ever think of balance at all haha.
Playing cards, instead of levelling up the normal way is so damn broken. Not to mention you can get Squalls ultimate weapon before the end of disk 1.
I like it for its oddness in the FF series and how unlike the others it is in this regard.
The gameplay is so fucked up in that game. Playing cards and drawing 99 of every spell are the best ways to power your character up.

but not just that... enemies are scaled to your level and it actually seems like you get less powerful the more levels you gain, unless you have the right GF abilities that give you stat bonuses at level up (which also means you permanently gimp yourself if you don’t have those).

What a weird game. I loved it back in the day but I don’t know if I can ever play it again, between the broken ass gameplay mechanics and the long, unskippable GF animations

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cloud is a buzzsaw I will remember FF7 fondly square did a great job and maybe the remake is a trend of things to come.

Lone Denjin

The gameplay is so fucked up in that game. Playing cards and drawing 99 of every spell are the best ways to power your character up.

but not just that... enemies are scaled to your level and it actually seems like you get less powerful the more levels you gain, unless you have the right GF abilities that give you stat bonuses at level up (which also means you permanently gimp yourself if you don’t have those).

What a weird game. I loved it back in the day but I don’t know if I can ever play it again, between the broken ass gameplay mechanics and the long, unskippable GF animations
It is not that clear cut. They scale yes, but there is a limit range to how powerful they get. And if you junction the right spells, you can 1 shot most trash. But even at level 7, Ultima and Omega weapon require following rules of the encounter more than just brute forcing it

Cutty Flam

Banned
What is the recurring theme with crystals within the Final Fantasy games?

THE LEGACY OF THE CRYSTALS
HAS SHAPED OUR HISTORY
FOR LONG ENOUGH

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
What is the recurring theme with crystals within the Final Fantasy games?

THE LEGACY OF THE CRYSTALS
HAS SHAPED OUR HISTORY
FOR LONG ENOUGH

Just a staple of the franchise as much as Chocobos, Moogles, and Black Mages at this point. It made for an easy way to tell a good adventure back in the day and they continued to evolve on that general concept with future titles (and even in their spinoffs, such as Bravely Default).

Not sure if there is any particular reason outside of series tradition, but maybe someone else may know.

xShaun

I'd anyone else annoyed when third party games are bring money hatted/put behind a huge pay wall?

This isn't just a Sony thing but with other consoles too. Everyone apart from owners of that one console lose out on an amazing game.

If FFXVI is any good, and let's face it, it will probably be a banger it will either lead the fans into having to buy a console for just one game, or for them to watch it on YouTube which would surely make them lose sales? Either way I have never tolerated timed exclusives.

Kev Kev

lol agreed. i still love the game tho. and although the story is poorly told, it really punches you in the feels and has a great pay off. but yeah its definitely one of the oddball FFs.

Almost halfway through my returning playthrough of FFIV. Some of the art in this is so good. Look at the cape on Golbez.

069.png

"Land of the Dwarves" from FFIV is so good. That synth intro! That is cool by itself. Then the song starts. It's like Herbie Hancock orchestrating the soundtrack to Lord of the Rings.

So good. When I got to this part of the game I just sat there and listened to the amazing bass line in total wonderment. :pie_blowing_kiss:

RolandGR77MidiBass.jpg

Last edited:

Myths

Darker version. WebM gave the best color support but there’s still banding and will look better once 4K has processed.

Didn’t spend too much time ironing out every single effect or transition (sound included)s

NahaNago

I'd anyone else annoyed when third party games are bring money hatted/put behind a huge pay wall?

This isn't just a Sony thing but with other consoles too. Everyone apart from owners of that one console lose out on an amazing game.

If FFXVI is any good, and let's face it, it will probably be a banger it will either lead the fans into having to buy a console for just one game, or for them to watch it on YouTube which would surely make them lose sales? Either way I have never tolerated timed exclusives.
Then the exclusive has done it's job and gotten you to buy the console to play the game. I'm not about to spend 40 or more hours watching a Youtube playthrough of a game. I agree on not tolerating timed exclusives. Make them full blown exclusives :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

I have a problem.

I'm playing FFVIII remastered and I've been rushing through it. Now the final boss (Griever with his Shockwave Pulsar to be precise) is one shotting me. My squad is about level 15 with Quistis at 22 and Squall at 25. He has the most hp (2200).

What to do?

1) Quit
2) Use some trick I don't know yet
3) Use an older save file and get more GF and a higher level

It's my third try to finish FFVIII and I kinda want to beat it but I also don't feel like doing a lot of extra work.

Lone Denjin

I have a problem.

I'm playing FFVIII remastered and I've been rushing through it. Now the final boss (Griever with his Shockwave Pulsar to be precise) is one shotting me. My squad is about level 15 with Quistis at 22 and Squall at 25. He has the most hp (2200).

What to do?

1) Quit
2) Use some trick I don't know yet
3) Use an older save file and get more GF and a higher level

It's my third try to finish FFVIII and I kinda want to beat it but I also don't feel like doing a lot of extra work.
Depending on your junctions and what skills you have unlocked on the GFs. Play some cards and look in to refining them in to spells to junction to HP and STR and VIT. There are plenty of guides on the internet for this. I can't remember if shockwave pulsar is magic dmg or not so juctioning to SPI could help also.

Depending on your junctions and what skills you have unlocked on the GFs. Play some cards and look in to refining them in to spells to junction to HP and STR and VIT. There are plenty of guides on the internet for this. I can't remember if shockwave pulsar is magic dmg or not so juctioning to SPI could help also.
Thanks. But I guess I fucked myself by depending on the invincible booster. I haven't played a single card game, have no idea on how to refine cards into spells and have only six GF.

I will never finish this game, it's my forever nemesis.

Lone Denjin

Thanks. But I guess I fucked myself by depending on the invincible booster. I haven't played a single card game, have no idea on how to refine cards into spells and have only six GF.

I will never finish this game, it's my forever nemesis.
The Card game is simple. Quetzalcoatl has the ability's you need. Bigger number always wins. You can always card the monsters as well to get the cards in the first place. Like pokemon, weaken them then use the card ability on them. then refine the cards in to items then use the GFs magic refines to make spells.
If you feel you have messed up, i would start again. Getting broken in this game is 1 hour of playing cards at the beginning. You can smash anything once you got a good spell like tornado juctioned to STR. Nevermind going for full broke and getting 100 flare on it and doing 9999 damage to Elvoret.

I was also unable to beat that boss (Griever) in FFVIII because I (wrongly) relied on spamming GF summons throughout the whole game and it consistently worked...up until that point. I completely missed on card refining (I thought that was unimportant) and I've made the BIG mistake to grind levels, when in reality the less you grind levels, the easier the game becomes (yeah...).
I still liked the game and played it for the first time when the remastered released. I really felt bad for not playing it much earlier as I think it definitely doesn't deserve any bad reputation. It's a very solid FF game with very interesting mechanics. FF8, I'm really sorry for not giving you a chance when I could.

Last edited:

Lone Denjin

I was also unable to beat that boss (Griever) in FFVIII because I (wrongly) relied on spamming GF summons throughout the whole game and it consistently worked...up until that point. I completely missed on card refining (I thought that was unimportant) and I've made the BIG mistake to grind levels, when in reality the less you grind levels, the easier the game becomes (yeah...).
I still liked the game and played it for the first time when the remastered released. I really felt bad for not playing it much earlier as I think it definitely doesn't deserve any bad reputation. It's a very solid FF game with very interesting mechanics. FF8, I'm really sorry for not giving you a chance when I could.
Well the game does not really help you in that respect. You go in with the same mentality as any other jrpg. Wack some trash, get stronger, kill bosses. The game gives you no first impression that it does anything differently. But i would say the game's real battle system is the card game. I bet the devs designed it as such. But put in the the traditional turn based battle as a front facing feature. As i am writing this i am at the end of disk one, and things have sort of messed for me concerning the queen of cards and i missed on getting the lionheart early. But the thing about this FF, is that it is quite forgiving and you can get yourself out of holes you have put yourself in.

NahaNago

I really do not like the redesign for squall in the remaster. I'm guessing they changed his hair color to match the cg version. He just looks like a generic anime character now.

Well the game does not really help you in that respect. You go in with the same mentality as any other jrpg. Wack some trash, get stronger, kill bosses. The game gives you no first impression that it does anything differently. But i would say the game's real battle system is the card game. I bet the devs designed it as such. But put in the the traditional turn based battle as a front facing feature. As i am writing this i am at the end of disk one, and things have sort of messed for me concerning the queen of cards and i missed on getting the lionheart early. But the thing about this FF, is that it is quite forgiving and you can get yourself out of holes you have put yourself in.
There seems to be something unique with FFVIII where a player can cheese the game and become crazy powerful very early on. I'm pretty sure that if it were possible to do "PvP" between my party (endgame lvl99 but without card refining) and yours still at disk 1, yours would wipe the floor with mine. In all honesty, I feel like it's a good thing as it encourages replayability.
The card game is fun, although the changing rules can get quite tedious towards the later stages of the game, and for that matter I still prefer FF9's Tetra Master (that one is more random, but also more consistent in its rules lol).

I really do not like the redesign for squall in the remaster. I'm guessing they changed his hair color to match the cg version. He just looks like a generic anime character now.
If I'm not mistaken, his redesign is just his Dissidia (PSP's FF fighting game remember?) model. Same goes for Laguna and the other characters seem to follow suit.

NahaNago

If I'm not mistaken, his redesign is just his Dissidia (PSP's FF fighting game remember?) model. Same goes for Laguna and the other characters seem to follow suit.
Wish they had just made newer versions but I can understand making a unified version. Still don't like him. Looks bland and much younger. Previous blurry squall looked emo, this news version looks like a shonen character.

Last edited:

Lone Denjin

Oh i have things to say about the models of the remaster. I get real uncanny valley vibes off Rinoa's model. Take a look at her, she has this almost frozen expression of pure obviousness. Squall is nothing like the CGI scene's for the game. The rest look okay. It is just the 2 leads.

Jooxed

Gold Member
After looking at the Final Fantasy Package on iOS last night. I realized i never played Final Fantasy 5. Is it worth it GAF? I bought all the old Dragon Quest games to play as well on my ipad.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
After looking at the Final Fantasy Package on iOS last night. I realized i never played Final Fantasy 5. Is it worth it GAF? I bought all the old Dragon Quest games to play as well on my ipad.

Dunno about the mobile port in particular, but FFV is probably in the series' top 3 when it comes to gameplay.

The FFV job system is mix n' match. You learn certain sub-abilities in one job & get to use them when you transfer to another job. Makes for very fun combinations. The flip side is its a super nintendo ff so unfortunately expect lots of random battles. Not even ones that have you manage resources over the course of a dungeon, but little mindless battles that just waste time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Final Fantasy 5 is one of the best games in the series, so yes.

The mobile port is pretty bad but (thankfully) only visually. And to be fair, it's not as jarring as something like the port of 6. I wish I could erase this game from my memory and play it again fresh.

TheAssist

So if anyone is interested , 4-8 Productions is doing a Final Fanthathon on Twitch and Youtube right now, where he is playing through all of the main line FF games in order. He is currently at FF5. I like watching him, he has tons of FF7 challenge mod runs and comes up with the coolest strategies for insanely hard bosses.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Final Fantasy 5 is one of the best games in the series, so yes.

The mobile port is pretty bad but (thankfully) only visually. And to be fair, it's not as jarring as something like the port of 6. I wish I could erase this game from my memory and play it again fresh.

Ya FF5 is the first or second FF game I played (also played FFVII around this time). Played the PS1 version which was amazing besides the long load times which I dont even really remember.

Such a dope game, the plot is pretty standard but the job system and everything else more than makes up for it.

Kev Kev

I played it after playing FF6 for the first time, which was about 5 years ago, and I didn’t care for it. Only made it about 10 hours in before I lost interest.

Now, that may have more to do with how amazing FF6 is rather than the quality of FF5.

I think it is widely regarded as the second best of the pre-PS1 era of FF games, behind FF6 of course. So I would say, yeah definitely check it out. I think I would enjoy it now that it’s been so long since I’ve played an old school FF. It just felt old and outdated coming from FF6.

Let us know how it goes! I’d love to hear some impressions and check it out again one day.

Krizalidx11

Banned
HDR makes the difference? Had the movie on Bluray but would like to re-watch it on PS5.

Oh man it sure does, give it some saturation if you don't mind some more colorful image

I mean the remaster of the movie that came out this month not the old one

Last edited:
Nearing the end of my Final Fantasy IV playthrough. I really think this may be the first time I have played all the way through this one.

It has been a wonderful experience overall. I like the drama, the main character being introduced basically as a villain, and he renounces his dark ways, becomes a Paladin, which is it's own big quest. At one point, a giant world-killing kaiju appears, predating the Ruby and Emerald Weapons by 3 entries.

There is a nice escalation of vehicles that you acquire. From Hovercraft, airship, lunar whale. The latter is super satisfying to get, a very high tech spaceship that can fly from Earth to the Moon, where you can sit in any chair to regain HP/MP, where you have your own Big Chocobo to store all the loot you will be mining from the moon.

Because once you get to the moon, it is mine time. If you ever wanted to grind, this is place is heaven, especially once you find Hummingway Home.

I don't think I ever made it to the moon as a kid, I'm not sure what point stopped me. But it is a real treat, and all the story twists and turns are very Star Wars. You can tell that these guys love their space opera. It's interesting because people always act like Final Fantasy used to be more about classical fantasy, but right from the start of this game you had the steampunk airships. It was always a tech X fantasy arrangement.

Anyways I am collecting endgame stuff and it is not that hard. I grinded for an hour or so and have not really had difficulty. A few bosses gave me issue, but I figured out a strategy and took them down. This is great, the way it is meant to be. The game is very well paced in this regard.

Escalation of collecting summons was perfect. By the time you get Bahamut, you are at the end of the game pretty much. Also I got Excalibur! Yes in this game you can get Excalibur and use it to fight giant robots on the moon.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I want a FFXV update so badly for next gen. I just booted up the free FFXV on PS5 and it’s just plain brutal. A clear step down from one X and not close to PC

Kumomeme

FFV is amazing. definitely on FFIV and VI level. it just people somehow rarely talk about it. it is first final fantasy game with job system + cross job skill. mechanic wise that game clearly ahead of its time.

Top Bottom