• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Community |OT| "We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

Kev Kev

FFXII RTTP #3

still loving the shit out of this game. the story is a little hard to follow, i even had to look up a synopsis of the first few chapters to make sure iw as understanding evrything correctly, but i got the gist of it, and its pretty interesting so far!

i actually really like the combat. im enjoying doing hunts and checking off the bestiary entries, learning more about the game world as i complete each monsters required kill count (usually 10 for weak mosnters, less for the stronger ones. im having fun playing with gambits and i like the weapons/items systems they are using, licensing is great too!

my only new complaints are that im not using magic and technicks as much as id like to be. i assume i will be digging more into them as they game goes on, but im around lvl 15 for all my char's and havent seen enough black magic opening up on their license boards. or in some cases, like ashe i believe, they dont have fire available on their license board, only fira, but i cant find fira in shops, so me making her a red battle mage is kind of useless until i can get my license tiles activated AND find the spells in shop. that part of th system seems a bit redundant, but its still fun and it works. pretty minor complaint really, as the battle is still fairly simple and easy so far.

im about the enter the sandsea west of westersand, heading for tomb of the wraith king (or something like that?). so far im liking this game even more than ffx which i just played through recently. the game world feels so much more open and explorable. it really feels like a great FF, although different in its approach. at this point i still have to highly recommend this to anyone who passed up on ffxii, or only made it a couple hours in. it hold up well, you just have to be ready for a little bit of a different FF experience.

edit: oh, and i also have to make one note: the different towns and areas you go to arent varied looking enough for my taste. each town and area looks for brown and tan, desert looking and just in general seems like the reused a lot of assets. im holding out hope for some different looking area (snow, mountain, grassy, swamp, etc.) but at the same time i cant remember an FF that took place in mostly desert locales, so im okay with it for now... but itd be nice if they changed up the aesthetic a bit
FFXII LTTP #4

At this point, it’s a “late to the party” scenario. I only ever made a few hours into FFXII my first try, and long story short, I didn’t care for it and gave up, declaring the worst FF by far and saying FFX was the last good FF… until now.

FFXII is one of the last good FFs (lmao)and it is fantastic! Yeah it has some things I don’t like, such as fleeing is annoying because they chase you and they’re as fast as you so you really have to go to another zone if you want to flee, I haven’t used much magic despite having -ra level spells on a few different chars (hardly ever used the level 1 fire, blizzard and thunder), I don’t like that the “Hunt” monsters will go crazy as they reach a sliver of HP left and just devastate your entire team (it’s seriously annoying af), and I have yet to be able to defeat an elemental, so buying that grimoire for 25,000 Gil has pretty pretty useless at this point, poach is useless, Libra only works on lesser monsters so with the bosses and the hunts I have no clue what their weakness and strength are and as a result I’m just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, the elements are weird for instance an ice elemental is weak to lightning by (shouldn’t that be fire???), and more…

But man, I am enjoying so much about this game! It feels big, open, adventurous, the story is great, and over all I just feel like it is a solid entry into the FF world. It feels more like Tactics or an FF spinoff but at the same time it’s really big and there is plenty to do! The atmosphere and music is awesome, the NPCs having funny/charming little quips and comments, the battle is fun, smooth and engaging, the towns and varied areas (desert, plains, forest, snow, mountains, etc) are paced nicely throughout the journey, and more. I love it! And it’s a weird feeling because for over 15 years now I declared this was one of the worst FFs, lol.

Just got past the part where you find out ***SPOILERS for a side character death*** the king was assassinated by Vayne and I’m at the Miriam shrine to get some fancy sword. What a game this has been so far. Looking forward to exploring more of the world and unraveling the story.

Last edited:
FFXII LTTP #4

At this point, it’s a “late to the party” scenario. I only ever made a few hours into FFXII my first try, and long story short, I didn’t care for it and gave up, declaring the worst FF by far and saying FFX was the last good FF… until now.

FFXII is one of the last good FFs (lmao)and it is fantastic! Yeah it has some things I don’t like, such as fleeing is annoying because they chase you and they’re as fast as you so you really have to go to another zone if you want to flee, I haven’t used much magic despite having -ra level spells on a few different chars (hardly ever used the level 1 fire, blizzard and thunder), I don’t like that the “Hunt” monsters will go crazy as they reach a sliver of HP left and just devastate your entire team (it’s seriously annoying af), and I have yet to be able to defeat an elemental, so buying that grimoire for 25,000 Gil has pretty pretty useless at this point, poach is useless, Libra only works on lesser monsters so with the bosses and the hunts I have no clue what their weakness and strength are and as a result I’m just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, the elements are weird for instance an ice elemental is weak to lightning by (shouldn’t that be fire???), and more…

But man, I am enjoying so much about this game! It feels big, open, adventurous, the story is great, and over all I just feel like it is a solid entry into the FF world. It feels more like Tactics or an FF spinoff but at the same time it’s really big and there is plenty to do! The atmosphere and music is awesome, the NPCs having funny/charming little quips and comments, the battle is fun, smooth and engaging, the towns and varied areas (desert, plains, forest, snow, mountains, etc) are paced nicely throughout the journey, and more. I love it! And it’s a weird feeling because for over 15 years now I declared this was one of the worst FFs, lol.

Just got past the part where you find out ***SPOILERS for a side character death*** the king was assassinated by Vayne and I’m at the Miriam shrine to get some fancy sword. What a game this has been so far. Looking forward to exploring more of the world and unraveling the story.
I'm playing FFXII TZA too and having a wonderful time with it. I'm in awe at the worldbuilding conveyed through NPC dialogues, locations, and the logs in the bestiary. The Zodiac Age makes exploration and regular battles such as smooth process, and I suspect the loot earns me more money than in the original PS2 game, because I'm able to buy most weapons. Also the licence board is so satisfying to gradually fill.

The hunts that become too strong in their death throes are quite annoying indeed, I save the quickenings until they reach that stage and use them before my party gets decimated. That being said, some of them are quite easy despite me not grinding. And yeah you can get through most fights without black magic. I find the fire/thunder/ice spells to be worth using when there are many enemies around. Healing and buff spells on the other hand are a must.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Thinking about turning voice acting off if possible for these games. I remember watching others play Oblivion and Skyrim back in the day and VA in RPGs seemed like the wrong choice; there's nothing natural about flow of anything during those conversations. Unless it's in a cutscene or the characters are on the move and talking in-game. All those face-to-face encounters where a casual convo took place between the main character and a NPC seemed odd with all the pauses and silence while two are standing there. It's better to read text and let the imagination take its course for the fuller experience

FFXV might be the only exception where voice acting would be acceptable since it's modern and an action RPG. Maybe it's possible to move around during an interaction? That's going to be the best option. Because I still remember the awkward one to one dialogue in Skyrim w/ the voice acting

Kev Kev

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam i could not agree more. ive been turning off VAs for my last couple FF run throughs and it has made the experience way better. you hit the nail on the head, the flow just isnt right. maybe they will get there one day. but even if it does flow right one day, i just like the idea of imagining that stuff in my head. the same reason people prefer to read a book rather than listen to an audio book. i want to use my imagination, its just more fun and enjoyable that way. and i dont get hyper focused on the terribl flow and weird grunts and moans and stuff that you hear in the over dubs.

question for everyone...

how has your favorite FF list changed over the years?

mine used to be 7, 8, 10, 9 (didnt like 12 or 13, and hadnt played any others yet)

now its 6, 7, 9, 12, 8, 10, 7R, 15 (finally played 12 and im loving it, still havent gotten back into 13)

8 took a dive down to 5th place, 10 got bumped way down (i still love it tho), 9 got bumped up, 6 took 1st bc its fucking amazing, im currently finishing 12 and if its not careful it may find its way into my top 3 (lol im loving the shit out of it), and oh yeah 7R and 15 whatever...

its strange how my tastes have changed over the years, but im still enjoying the old FFs and im looking forward to trying out 13 again now that i apparently feel differently about some of these games. i guess getting older and not playing as many games, or being able to appreciate other things about them (in light of recent FFs being, oh how do i say this, not exactly what i wanted...?) has changed my approach to what im expecting to get, and i suppose im just more open minded and accepting of these different approaches to the FF series.

what about you guys? has your list always been the same? changed over they years?

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’m with you on that, VA for RPGs is something I’ve been weary of from the very start. Watching others play Oblivion in like ‘06 and then later when Skyrim came out sort of told me all that I needed to know. Would rather allow the imagination to take flight

And after playing FFIX, idk, I sort of expect it to remain in the top five. But who knows with the Final Fantasy games, because FFVI, FFX, FFXII, FFXIV, FFXV, and FFXVI all look epic

FFXVI is the kind of game that will sell systems, PS5 consoles like hot cakes. The game has someone like me who has not owned a Playstation console of my own since the actual Playstation, saving up just to play. That could be sort the “BOTW” of the FF series so to say. And I mean that purely in that it’s (FFXVI) going to revitalize the fanbase and show gamers as a whole why FF is such a staple in gaming. Statement game coming up with FFXVI imo

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam i could not agree more. ive been turning off VAs for my last couple FF run throughs and it has made the experience way better. you hit the nail on the head, the flow just isnt right. maybe they will get there one day. but even if it does flow right one day, i just like the idea of imagining that stuff in my head. the same reason people prefer to read a book rather than listen to an audio book. i want to use my imagination, its just more fun and enjoyable that way. and i dont get hyper focused on the terribl flow and weird grunts and moans and stuff that you hear in the over dubs.

question for everyone...

mine used to be 7, 8, 10, 9 (didnt like 12 or 13, and hadnt played any others yet)

now its 6, 7, 9, 12, 8, 10, 7R, 15 (finally played 12 and im loving it, still havent gotten back into 13)

8 took a dive down to 5th place, 10 got bumped way down (i still love it tho), 9 got bumped up, 6 took 1st bc its fucking amazing, im currently finishing 12 and if its not careful it may find its way into my top 3 (lol im loving the shit out of it), and oh yeah 7R and 15 whatever...

its strange how my tastes have changed over the years, but im still enjoying the old FFs and im looking forward to trying out 13 again now that i apparently feel differently about some of these games. i guess getting older and not playing as many games, or being able to appreciate other things about them (in light of recent FFs being, oh how do i say this, not exactly what i wanted...?) has changed my approach to what im expecting to get, and i suppose im just more open minded and accepting of these different approaches to the FF series.

what about you guys? has your list always been the same? changed over they years?
I was thinking about this not long ago while playing XV and replaying VIII. Would VI still fit in my top 3? I don't know.

Ranking my favorite FFs is so hard because each one has something unique going for it while being a bit lacking in certain areas. XII has the best aesthetic and great characters, but feels like story chunks were cut and it lacks the melodic highs of other FFs' soundtracks. VI has a fantastic soundtrack and memorable set pieces but I'm not sure if the moment-to-moment gameplay aged well. And I'm constantly torn between VII and IX. I guess I have no definite ranking yet. I would bump XV higher for the world, music and final emotional payoff but the story is so incomplete and the combat is awkward.

If I had to give a ranking I'd say XII > VI > IX = VII > VIII > XV = X > XIII

Then again, VI might go a rank down if I ever replay it.

GeekyDad

I'm still merrily making my way through FFTA2. Don't know why I'm having so much fun with it. I remember really enjoying it when it released, but I'm not sure I ever finished it. But it's just got such a good formula for me right now. Lighthearted yet everything is kinda linked together. You don't find many games that find ways to link the sidequests to the main theme of the game's story. Right now I'm kinda locked into the "catch 'em all" thing of nabbing all of the abilities for the jobs I've decided on for my main units. About 90 hours in, and I still haven't had Vaan join my party. :D

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I love almost all the games, regardless of if they have voice acting or not. I can't say that VA alone can hinder a product. I loved X, XII, XIV, and enjoyed XV. VAing didn't cause any issues with any of them for me.

The things that did cause issues were at the core of development. XIII wasn't the first linear Final Fantasy title, however it was the most blatant and egregious. There were almost no side paths to go down, side content to explore, or world to really feel like you were inhabiting. The story was nonsensical and hidden via codex-style passages, and the world didn't feel like a world at all.

XIV's world, at least with 1.0, was very similar. It didn't feel real. It felt like it was copy pasted of only a few assets (because it was) and the interactivity was almost nil.

XV also felt this way to a degree. You had a few areas that truly felt lived in, but you couldn't *do* a lot in those areas. It didn't feel like you were inhabiting the world.

Meanwhile you have FFX, XII, FFVII Remake, and XIV 2.0 onwards. Each world, even if they were linear, felt massive. They felt like real places with cultures, mythos, etc. It felt like you were interacting with it, not simply staring at a glass panel to museum diorama behind it.

The ones that didn't hit the mark failed to make believable, interesting worlds. They felt rushed. They felt like train sets that limited you to one of two directions with the rare junction point that ultimately merged back to the same track.

I'm still merrily making my way through FFTA2. Don't know why I'm having so much fun with it. I remember really enjoying it when it released, but I'm not sure I ever finished it. But it's just got such a good formula for me right now. Lighthearted yet everything is kinda linked together. You don't find many games that find ways to link the sidequests to the main theme of the game's story. Right now I'm kinda locked into the "catch 'em all" thing of nabbing all of the abilities for the jobs I've decided on for my main units. About 90 hours in, and I still haven't had Vaan join my party. :D
I always wanted to play that one but never had a DS. I love how they improved the spritework and colors from the first Tactics Advance, which I had sunk many hours into. The prices on eBay nowadays are crazy...

so, I don't play FF: Brave Exvius (the mobile game), but this came across my Youtube recommend and it looks pretty good. figure I'll post it here.

edit: I just want to say, as a huge FFXI fan, that the Shantotto "fuck you here's a moon bowling ball" attack is making my day.

Last edited:
so, I don't play FF: Brave Exvius (the mobile game), but this came across my Youtube recommend and it looks pretty good. figure I'll post it here.

ffbe plays itself with broken characters, you can beat all the story without doing anything, few rare tough bosses with broken nasty mechanics that essentially need collect ton of drops and guides, but otherwise most stuff easy autoplay.

I basically just log in to collect waifu videos like the following

rarely spend on gacha but went whale for alma, 200+$ dolphin strong.

Kev Kev

FFXII LTTP #4

FFXII LTTP #5

Still absolutely loving this game. Hands down my best FF experience since playing FFVI for the first time back in 2015, and before that it was FFX back in the 00’s.

That being said… traps are borderline ruining the experience for me 😕

They are annoying, pointless and needlessly punishing. There is absolutely no reason for them. They aren’t fun, interesting or creative, and they add nothing of value to the experience. Absolutely horrible design choice. It’s shit like that that reminds what kind of morons we are dealing with over at Square. Just awful, not sure what else to say about it.

Other than that, its fantastic! I’m doing almost all the hunts, exploring each area, finding hidden spells and weapons, leveling up my chars, acquiring all equipment and useful items from vendors, I’ve nearly completed both license boards for each character, and over all I’m really blown away with how much better of an experience this game is compared to when I first tried it upon release.

Just took the Strahl to the Ridorana Cataract. I was finishing up hunts while I still have Reddas, but I got tired of that and decided to move on. I’m hoping I find another town with more equipment and more hunts before I lose him. I’ve read he is the last guest that you get, so I want to finish as many hunts as I can while I still have him.

Looking forward to seeing how the story plays out. It’s still really interesting so far

Last edited:
FFXII LTTP #5

Still absolutely loving this game. Hands down my best FF experience since playing FFVI for the first time back in 2015, and before that it was FFX back in the 00’s.

They are annoying, pointless and needlessly punishing. There is absolutely no reason for them. They aren’t fun, interesting or creative, and they add nothing of value to the experience. Absolutely horrible design choice. It’s shit like that that reminds what kind of morons we are dealing with over at Square. Just awful, not sure what else to say about it.

Other than that, its fantastic! I’m doing almost all the hunts, exploring each area, finding hidden spells and weapons, leveling up my chars, acquiring all equipment and useful items from vendors, I’ve nearly completed both license boards for each character, and over all I’m really blown away with how much better of an experience this game is compared to when I first tried it upon release.

Just took the Strahl to the Ridorana Cataract. I was finishing up hunts while I still have Reddas, but I got tired of that and decided to move on. I’m hoping I find another town with more equipment and more hunts before I lose him. I’ve read he is the last guest that you get, so I want to finish as many hunts as I can while I still have him.

Looking forward to seeing how the story plays out. It’s still really interesting so far
There is an accessory that lets you see all traps, I don't know what it's called in English cause I'm playing the French version, but yeah traps can be pretty annoying in the long run and aren't fun from a game design viewpoint. They should have been limited to just a few areas.

You know it's funny because I just reached the Ridorana Cataract last Saturday! And thankfully you won't have to worry about traps in the lower part of the Pharos. There's a boss right before you enter the Pharos, be sure to equip the accessory that prevents confusion. The other status ailments can be healed with Esuna and Remedies (pick whichever character has the license that lets Remedies heal the disease status).

I did 20-something hunts and got burned out on them. I don't have the time to grind to a level where I can defeat the harder ones like Fafner of the King Behemoth. Same for the Espers, I don't think I'm gonna get them all. As much as I'm loving FFXII, after 45 hours I want to move on to other games. That being said the hunts and espers make for really nice side bosses.

Ixion

There is an accessory that lets you see all traps, I don't know what it's called in English cause I'm playing the French version

Using Libra will show the traps, and to make it easier you can just equip the Ribbon accessary to one character, which will give auto-Libra. I usually have one character with that on.

Kev Kev

Using Libra will show the traps, and to make it easier you can just equip the Ribbon accessary to one character, which will give auto-Libra. I usually have one character with that on.
Oh so there IS an auto Libra. Ok that makes it better.
Still tho, allies running head first into traps that they can clearly see is the most infuriating shit. Even if I go down to one party member, if I have a guest I can’t kick them from the party, and sometimes they will run into it. So I have to either change everyone’s equipment, or change party member, and blah blah blah it’s just such a pain in the ass and so unnecessary.

I have yet to see Ribbon yet though, I was really hoping I’d be coming across that soon since these stronger hunt bosses really lay on the status ailments.

Thank for the heads up ValiantTraveler ValiantTraveler and Ixion Ixion

Kev Kev

FFXII LTTP #5

FFXII LTTP #6 (Final)

man what an amazing game. about 130 hours total and i enjoyed every minute. got my chars to arond level 65, picked up almost all of the abilities and magic, competed almost all hunts (i passed on the final three as they were duper difficult), went back and explored each area with head phones to really soak in every part of ivalice (turned the music off sometimes too just to be immersed in the world and all of its natural sounds), picked up almost all of the espers (possibly all? i dunno), finished off sidequests, made sure to talk to everyone one mroe time, bought all of the items i found useful, finished both license boards for each character and anything else i encountered along the way.

Wow is all i can say, im blown away with how much i enjoyed this game. the music, the story, actual good scripts and VAs, etc. the whole package. this game is a 10/10 in almost every way and it has joined the ranks as one of my favorite FFs and one of my favorite game experiences ever.

its been a wild journey with ff12, going all the way back to 2006 when it released and i hated it, to beating just a few moments ago and loving it. but im really glad i decided to come back and finish the journey. i look forward to doing another replay some time later in my life. this is a great game meant to be enjoyed more than once.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

translation of latest Naoki Yoshida's FFXVI development update from WasyaganaTV live stream:

“We’ve been prioritizing English voice recording. And we’re specifically doing it in British English. We’re using facial capture, so later on, we won’t have to adjust by hand each of the faces during cutscenes. And it’s full capture, as in, the motion capture actors are also doing the voice acting simultaneously. Well, we’re not doing it for every single cutscene though. But anyway, that’s why English dubbing has progressed the most. The Japanese dubbing will start soon.”-Naoki Yoshida

so they prioritize english version first before move to japanese dub.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
translation of latest Naoki Yoshida's FFXVI development update from WasyaganaTV live stream:

so they prioritize english version first before move to japanese dub.

Well that's some very good news considering how good the eng VA and script is in XIV. Do we know if they're working with the same studio for it?

Kumomeme

Well that's some very good news considering how good the eng VA and script is in XIV. Do we know if they're working with the same studio for it?
probably. there lot of fans said they recognize John Hopkisn voice in the trailer (Hendrick in DQ11) and if i not mistaken the recording studio that he working with also handle the other game like with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and FFXIV.

I've played 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-12-13-15 and tactics
Haven't played the mmorpg ones since those take too much time

Best gameplay is 12, basically automatic once setup with minor interventions needed.

As for the stories that caught my eye 1, 4, 5 6, 7, 8 are my top ones.

I'm particularly fond of Terra, Chaos, Sephiroth, Kefka, Exdeath, Cloud, and Ultimecia.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I still can’t get over the ending of FFIX. The music at the very end, when the FF theme starts playing in that heavenly tone…puts the entire game into perspective and it hits you all at once in that instant. Unbelievable.

Nobuo Uematsu. Now I know why this name his name I’ve seen so many times

I’m fairly close to deciding my next game. And I think it’s almost time for me to experience FFVII. There have been some back in forth doubts whether to play FFXII before it. Or to play FFXV before it. Both are spectacular and fans praise them often, but FFVII is hailed as a top game of all time

Labadal

I bought the FFI-III remasters. When will I play them? I don't know. I just want to own the entire series on PC. Only FFIV left, then I will own them all. The 3DS remakes didn't appeal to me. I've sold almost all of my physical copies of the games.

What I have left at home are FFVII and IX on PS1, FF games for PS2, and Crisis Core+Type-0+Tactics on PSP. All other physical copies are gone.

I still dream of Tactics on PC.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I was pondering this recently...

My top five used to be: FF7 > FF6 > FF10 > FF8 > FF9

Over time, though, I've garnered more appreciation for Final Fantasy X's overall brilliance, so now it looks like:

1 - Final Fantasy VII
2 - Final Fantasy X
3 - Final Fantasy VI
4 - Final Fantasy VIII
5 - Final Fantasy IX

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone playing the Steam releases of 1, 2, or 3? I am tempted to just get the whole bundle but I doubt I will play anytime soon. I have been itching to pick up an old school JRPG. It's been so long since playing 1 that I don't remember anything about it.

SkylineRKR

Bought FFVII R Intergrade on sale. Intermission is okay. I beat it on Normal, then restarted to do all Fort Condor till level 4. Did the FC on Hard as well. its a huge source of SP. FC can be cheesed. I did all ones on Normal legit, only Chadley is an ass. And on Hard I did 2 of them legit before stumbling upon the cheese tactics. Its hilarious how Johnny can be one shot by the sorcerer 2 board by casting all magic on his base from the first second. Chadley I beat by using Grandmaster board and only low level units. I think this would work for all of them, just send in a dog and overwhelm the enemy bases with adds.

I also beat both chapters in Hard mode. And as with the base game; its easier than Normal. Because you are level 50 (I was in the 30s when I started, but by Ch2 I hit 50), you know what to expect and you have a fully decked out weaponry with maximum slots by then. In this game Yuffie barely needs to use MP since she has Ninjitsu. At the final boss Sonon was nearly out of MP but it didn't matter, I had magnify+cure on Yuffie who was stacked still and I never really did need Pray and Chakra despite leveling them as they were clutch in the original (but its wise to sometimes drag out a fight against a lone weak enemy, so that you can cast them). Aside from the red robot boss, I one shot them all. And the robot was due to bad targeting on the arms during her laser phase, I eventually just threw a lvl 3 banishment on one to deal with it instantly. I was also surprised I one shot the final boss since he was a bitch on Normal, but he seems to be unaltered.

First 2 phases is just hammering him with sync and skills, wasting nothing. Third phase is ranged attacks until he is pressured, and summon. Fourth phase is limit break on the wing and congratulations you've won. Sephiroth was a fair bit tougher than this guy on Hard.

Yuffie is kinda cool once you know her gameplay. She has all elements on her weapon, has a just guard that gives you a perk depending on weapon (I settled with barrier/manawall). And her Brumal skill is an evade that goes through every attack and if you do go through you regain ATB so you can spam it. It will be interesting to see how they're going to implement them all into one game. I think Tifa and Yuffie are the most fun to play, then Cloud and then Aerith and Barret.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Bought FFVII R Intergrade on sale. Intermission is okay. I beat it on Normal, then restarted to do all Fort Condor till level 4. Did the FC on Hard as well. its a huge source of SP. FC can be cheesed. I did all ones on Normal legit, only Chadley is an ass. And on Hard I did 2 of them legit before stumbling upon the cheese tactics. Its hilarious how Johnny can be one shot by the sorcerer 2 board by casting all magic on his base from the first second. Chadley I beat by using Grandmaster board and only low level units. I think this would work for all of them, just send in a dog and overwhelm the enemy bases with adds.

I also beat both chapters in Hard mode. And as with the base game; its easier than Normal. Because you are level 50 (I was in the 30s when I started, but by Ch2 I hit 50), you know what to expect and you have a fully decked out weaponry with maximum slots by then. In this game Yuffie barely needs to use MP since she has Ninjitsu. At the final boss Sonon was nearly out of MP but it didn't matter, I had magnify+cure on Yuffie who was stacked still and I never really did need Pray and Chakra despite leveling them as they were clutch in the original (but its wise to sometimes drag out a fight against a lone weak enemy, so that you can cast them). Aside from the red robot boss, I one shot them all. And the robot was due to bad targeting on the arms during her laser phase, I eventually just threw a lvl 3 banishment on one to deal with it instantly. I was also surprised I one shot the final boss since he was a bitch on Normal, but he seems to be unaltered.

First 2 phases is just hammering him with sync and skills, wasting nothing. Third phase is ranged attacks until he is pressured, and summon. Fourth phase is limit break on the wing and congratulations you've won. Sephiroth was a fair bit tougher than this guy on Hard.

Yuffie is kinda cool once you know her gameplay. She has all elements on her weapon, has a just guard that gives you a perk depending on weapon (I settled with barrier/manawall). And her Brumal skill is an evade that goes through every attack and if you do go through you regain ATB so you can spam it. It will be interesting to see how they're going to implement them all into one game. I think Tifa and Yuffie are the most fun to play, then Cloud and then Aerith and Barret.

I am most excited to see how they work Vincent and Cait Sith with the new battle system. Going to assume Vincent will play similar to Barret with some melee abilities tossed in and transformations? Maybe just a retooled version of the Dirge of Cerberus style combat.

Cait Sith I have zero clue. Maybe a tank-like character? Mog as a heavy bruiser with Cait Sith giving commands while desperately trying to hold on?

SkylineRKR

Yeah I think the combat will be hugely improved for part 2. Yuffie is very distinct already and plays like you would envision her way back. The old game was of course very grounded despite being a sword master, a kung fu chick, a ninja etc. They can do lots of shit now. The best part of the remake is the combat imo, the level design and story beats i'm indifferent about. I think Vincent will be a medium range fighter, backup mage. He will probably be effective against armored guys with his firearms. Transformations might be just limit breaks again, where you change into a controllable beast for a set amount of time. I guess we're going to be able to tag in and out depending on the matchup.

Caith Sith was worthless. And I can't see that character to be made compelling. Perhaps he will be sidelined, or be used as a summon or support character with his shouts. Cid will ofcourse be a Dragoon with jumps etc. Red could be interesting, I reckon a fast glass cannon a bit like Tifa.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Anyone playing the Steam releases of 1, 2, or 3? I am tempted to just get the whole bundle but I doubt I will play anytime soon. I have been itching to pick up an old school JRPG. It's been so long since playing 1 that I don't remember anything about it.

I am currently playing III.

So far I am liking it a lot. Has a classic feel. I never played the 3D version it just didnt appeal to me.

Definitely old school so I think if that is what you want you should give it a shot.

SkylineRKR

I finally beat Top Secrets, the 7 star VR battle. I started to prep for this on the PS5 verison. Can't say its really fun. Its just a matter of arcane ward double casts and focus/true strike. Stunlocked Bahamut and never saw Ifrit lol. The robot is a joke boss so if you're past Bahamut you've pretty much won. Leviathan is an ass though.

I also beat Weiss. He's a shithead. My party wasn't maxed, because I skipped a handful of sidequests on Hard. I had a very bad run when I beat him. But I found out during my losses I couldn't consistently stunlock him during phase 2 and I just had to survive immaculate end. I didn't want Reprieve since those weapons suck. So I ultimately gave Tifa and Cloud Revive (they had 8500+ HP), and Magnify + barrier on Cloud. Phase 1 is easy. Tifa with Parry dodges everything and counter combos + focus strike. I did a shit job, only dropping his HP to 70% or so (I can easily get it to 50% otherwise). But phase 2 went well. Arcane Ward + Lustrous shield and just double cast with all chars while Tifa pulls him (she can easily outrun his bayonet charge). He had about 20-30% left and went into phase 3 which means he will do immaculate end. I had put Barrier on my party and healed Tifa and Cloud up. They survived, revived Aerith, Cure and I did Dolphin Flurry. He insta staggers and then dies after doing some random shit. Gotterdammerung doesn't work right? It does, it gives you 50% meter to start with.

One time I had a perfect run on him, but that shitty bayonet took Aerith just before Firaga got off. Fuck that guy. 2 Gotterdammerung from beating him, so limits for days on the full party, lol.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Because I needed more...
59983-final-fantasy-tactics-advance-game-boy-advance-screenshot-not.png

Adorable to look at, fun to play...yeah, this oughta tide me over for a bit. :)

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Listen to my story...

A bit less than 20 years ago, my father wanted to make me a gift and bring me to the supermarket and ask me which game I wanted.
I saw Final Fantasy X. I knew the Final Fantasy only by reputation. I remember have seen few minutes of FF VIII at a friend's place. He wanted to show us how the game is amazing.

Anyway, I took FFX and came back home with it.

It was a whole new experience for me. First time I played a JRPG (aside from Pokemon) and I was blow away by it. I completely immersed myself into Spira, exploring everything, speaking to everyone and spending hours on Blitzball. Several dozen hours later I defeated Sin and was again blow away by the adventure I just lived. The first thing I did after that ? Press "New game" and started a new playthrough.

On this one I grinded a lot for the late game content (dark aeons, ultimate weapons...). I don't know exactly when or why I stopped.

I checked my old saves. My first run was 72h and the second 227h... 300h on this game...

And today I finally restarteda new playthrough, after several years postponing it (partially I was scared to not like anymore and break my memories).

So nice to start again. I am 1h20 in and I already love the visuals and atmosphere. And I am surprised I don't remember correctly the beginning. I was thinking after the Zanarkand sequence, Tidus end up on Besaid island. I completely forgot the underwater ruins part... I guess I am in for a trip full of surprise again :)

Last edited:
Nice story. FFX was the last of the "classic" FFs I played, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Not sure what you kept doing during 300 hours :messenger_beaming:

I just got back into FFVIII Remastered with the intention to finish it. I reached Ultimecia's Castle. In the fight against Seifer, I don't know how that happened but Rinoa kept spamming spells after I chose one of her limit breaks, she kept using Death over and over which Seifer, like all bosses, is immune to... I wonder if this could happen in the original game or if it's because I had the battle cheats turned on. Speaking of battles, while I enjoy the effort to make an innovative system, it's deeply flawed and never provided me with a reliable set of choices. What I mean is, regular attacks and spells do laughable damage even at the endgame, even by Squall who is at level 48 and has 4 GFs junctioned to him. I always have to spam GFs and limit breaks with the cheats on. Maybe it's my fault because I didn't go out of my way to craft items, get spells, and maximize stats but that seems like too much of busy work for something that should be obtained through the main quest alone like other RPGs.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Nice story. FFX was the last of the "classic" FFs I played, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Not sure what you kept doing during 300 hours

On save with 227h I remember I was grinding for Dark aeons and der Richter (but I think this was only in Pal version of the game). Beat only few of them. I also spent a lot of time to get all the ultimate weapons. Probably a lot of time in Blitzball also.i loved it so much

DelireMan7

My save for FFX was also in the 180-200 hour range. Collect every monster and defeat every boss in the arena. Do all secrets and mini games, plus defeating every Dark Aeon, and Penance. Don't get me started on blitzball. I probably spent 30-40 hours on that alone.
I feel you !
I am now 10 hours in, just after Luca, and the Blitzball is now available... It looks like I will get addicted to it again. I spend 1h30 on it yesterday and I want more.

The combat system and sphere grid are still really good. I like planning my way on the sphere grid and then adapt it when I need it.

This game is so good !

Kev Kev

FFXIII LTTP

Chapter 1

it’s about what I remember, but I’m not as filled with disappointment and bitterness this time lol. I’m going to give the game a solid chance, knowing that it isn’t going to be exactly what I would personally want out of an open world FF, but hoping that I still enjoy it for what it is.

That being said I’ve made it through chapter 1 and so far so good. The beginning sequence was actually pretty fucking rad. The battle has been fun too! It feels like a mix of turn based and FFXII style gambit/auto fighting, and I’m digging it. The paths are very linear but there is still some hidden stuff to find along the way which, although not that well hidden, Is still very appreciated.

I actually like the star rating at the end of battle. It’s been fun trying different abilities and faster ways to defeat enemies. It’s also pretty easy so far, which I prefer in my games so yay.

The camera is too slow and sluggish tho. It’s a real shame because that’s a pretty big part of the game, moving the camera around, looking at stuff and finding hidden chests. And there are very little option for settings in this game, so no changing to speed. I’ll learn to live with it, but that is a big no bueno for me. We’ll see how those decisions age as I play through.

Over all I’m enjoying it. The codex or whatever it’s called is giving plenty of info and I haven’t minded reading through it so far. Seems less confusing this time around but still a lot to take in, even for an FF fan. The voice acting and cut scenes have been alright so far. Again with the options thing, I really wish they gave us the option to turn off VAs and adjust volume for music, effects and voice (really square? This is standard), but at least they aren’t annoying yet. Again, we’ll see how that decision ages.

Okay onto chapter 2 ✌️

Last edited:

Ghostdance

Neo Member
Hi I'm am not on any social media but Square Enix does not have any email account. Please tell them that we want final fantasy 1-6 on psn I have finished 7-15. but never played 1-5 and want to complete them to say I have completed all final fantasies. Ideally a physical copy would be great, but beggars can't be choosers so if it's a download that would be okay.

Kagey K

Banned
FFXIII LTTP

Chapter 1

it’s about what I remember, but I’m not as filled with disappointment and bitterness this time lol. I’m going to give the game a solid chance, knowing that it isn’t going to be exactly what I would personally want out of an open world FF, but hoping that I still enjoy it for what it is.

That being said I’ve made it through chapter 1 and so far so good. The beginning sequence was actually pretty fucking rad. The battle has been fun too! It feels like a mix of turn based and FFXII style gambit/auto fighting, and I’m digging it. The paths are very linear but there is still some hidden stuff to find along the way which, although not that well hidden, Is still very appreciated.

I actually like the star rating at the end of battle. It’s been fun trying different abilities and faster ways to defeat enemies. It’s also pretty easy so far, which I prefer in my games so yay.

The camera is too slow and sluggish tho. It’s a real shame because that’s a pretty big part of the game, moving the camera around, looking at stuff and finding hidden chests. And there are very little option for settings in this game, so no changing to speed. I’ll learn to live with it, but that is a big no bueno for me. We’ll see how those decisions age as I play through.

Over all I’m enjoying it. The codex or whatever it’s called is giving plenty of info and I haven’t minded reading through it so far. Seems less confusing this time around but still a lot to take in, even for an FF fan. The voice acting and cut scenes have been alright so far. Again with the options thing, I really wish they gave us the option to turn off VAs and adjust volume for music, effects and voice (really square? This is standard), but at least they aren’t annoying yet. Again, we’ll see how that decision ages.

Okay onto chapter 2 ✌️
Just a heads up, if you stop moving the camera gets much easier to pan.

McCheese

I bounced off FF XII for some reason originally, the story bored the younger me who hated cut-scenes. But it was bugging me I never finished it when I've completed all other mainlines, so I picked it up as a physical cart for dirt cheap on the Switch expecting to play for 10 minutes, remember why I got bored of it, and bounce back off it.

I've played like 20 hours in like 2 days, the gambit system is fucking awesome - it's a nice little meta game where you program your team, optimise it, then run around grinding EXP and items with them like pets. Quite why no game after has stolen or used this system is criminal, it's so much more rewarding and customisable than just assigning generic behaviours like 'healer' or 'damage dealer'

Story is still fucking boring, it has a similar vibe to the Star Wars prequels where they try to make politics sexy and exciting but it just comes off as pompous. Currently having to loot a tomb for some magical ball as the princess has no proof she is the princess, despite the fact everybody from the fucking continent came to her wedding in the CGI intro. I would say the music is also a stand-out, but this is a Final Fantasy thread so I guess that's just a given ;)

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I bounced off FF XII for some reason originally, the story bored the younger me who hated cut-scenes. But it was bugging me I never finished it when I've completed all other mainlines, so I picked it up as a physical cart for dirt cheap on the Switch expecting to play for 10 minutes, remember why I got bored of it, and bounce back off it.

I've played like 20 hours in like 2 days, the gambit system is fucking awesome - it's a nice little meta game where you program your team, optimise it, then run around grinding EXP and items with them like pets. Quite why no game after has stolen or used this system is criminal, it's so much more rewarding and customisable than just assigning generic behaviours like 'healer' or 'damage dealer'

Story is still fucking boring, it has a similar vibe to the Star Wars prequels where they try to make politics sexy and exciting but it just comes off as pompous. Currently having to loot a tomb for some magical ball as the princess has no proof she is the princess, despite the fact everybody from the fucking continent came to her wedding in the CGI intro. I would say the music is also a stand-out, but this is a Final Fantasy thread so I guess that's just a given ;)

I can definitely see where you are coming from! I felt the characters were similar to that of FFX. Mostly archetypes with no major depth, but interesting enough to follow to see where the story leads. Ivalice I adore ever since Final Fantasy Tactic and Tactics Advance (Which I played before XII).

Its a shame that there hasn't been a proper return to the setting since. We did get a little bit with Tactics A2 and FFXIV, but sadly FFXIV's was incredibly rushed.

Top Bottom