• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

Sephzilla

Why is everyone wanting Desteroyah? Like I said, he was cool to look at, but overall he was pretty shitty IMO.

He's a monster born from the only thing that can destroy Godzilla, and he fought probably the strongest form of Godzilla ever and held his own.

Destroyah is pretty solidly above Ghidorah on the Kaiju food chain, at least if you view the Heisei era as a common denominator.

DrArchon

Calling it now, the Oxygen Destroyer shows up as a background prop that never gets referenced and it's just there for fanboys to get excited over even though it plays no role in the story.

Like the stuff The Collector had in GotG 1.

Why is everyone wanting Desteroyah? Like I said, he was cool to look at, but overall he was pretty shitty IMO.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Destoroyah even though I like that movie. I think most of the hype comes from the things surrounding Destoroyah rather than Destoroyah itself. The interesting origin, how it was defeated involving the burning G subplot, and the death of Godzilla. Destroyer is surrounded by a lot of interesting stuff but the monster is sort of too bulky for it's own good. It can barely move and looks a little too dorky when flying.

At least it's more fanservice than Godzilla 2014, where you got basically nothing at all.

God I hope this movie is better than that one.

Bollocks.

The roar, the tail whip, the atomic breath, the "my job is done, I'm off for a nap" ending, shitty human characters getting in the way of all the Godzilla action.

It was a great Godzilla movie.

We have a totally different Serizawa now, and at the moment I can't really square away how he'd want to create something like the Oxygen Destroyer. ._.

Might be that instead of trying to use it to destroy Godzilla, Serizawa builds the Oxygen Destroyer to kill King Ghidorah if Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan aren't able to beat him themselves?

I can think of alternate routes they can take with Serizawa making the Oxygen Destroyer in this film-verse.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Calling it now, the Oxygen Destroyer shows up as a background prop that never gets referenced and it's just there for fanboys to get excited over even though it plays no role in the story.

Like the stuff The Collector had in GotG 1.
Thats I also expect

It was, and slightly better than Shin Godzilla for me.

Bollocks.

The roar, the tail whip, the atomic breath, the "my job is done, I'm off for a nap" ending, shitty human characters getting in the way of all the Godzilla action.

My men <3

Bollocks.

My favorite part in a Godzilla movie is where Godzilla is about to do cool shit and the camera looks away, it was great to watch as 2014 Godzilla delivered this in spades.

DrArchon

Bollocks.

Certainly wasn't a great movie in general. Maybe a great last act of a movie. Might have been a great movie if we had Bryan Cranston instead of ATJ as the main character. At least he was emoting.

That cock-tease with Hawaii was bullshit though.

Sephzilla

Godzilla 2014 was a good movie but it had its flaws. The best character in the movie doesn't even live long enough to see Godzilla, and the movie cockteases monster fights twice before we finally get a payoff. These are part of the reasons I thought Skull Island was a better movie.

Certainly wasn't a great movie in general. Maybe a great last act of a movie. Might have been a great movie if we had Bryan Cranston instead of ATJ as the main character. At least he was emoting.

That cock-tease with Hawaii was bullshit though.

Nah.

He spent decades mourning the loss of his wife and trying to prove to the world that he wasn't a crackpot, causing him to become estranged from the family he had left. In the end he proved to his son that he was right all along and having been redeemed, ends up dying at the power plant where his wife died to kick everything off in the first place.

His arc was done and there was nothing else his character could have added to the story.

Godzilla 2014 was a good movie but it had its flaws. The best character in the movie doesn't even live long enough to see Godzilla, and the movie cockteases monster fights twice before we finally get a payoff. These are part of the reasons I thought Skull Island was a better movie.

You are a terrible person.

Sephzilla

You are a terrible person.

John C. Reilly's character in Skull Island was better than everyone in Godzilla 2014, the movie didn't cocktease monster fights, and the fights weren't half covered in darkness.

Godzilla 2014 is a pretty clear homage to the Showa Era Godzilla movies, except the Showa Era Godzilla movies actually showed fights.

DrArchon

Nah.

He spent decades mourning the loss of his wife and trying to prove to the world that he wasn't a crackpot, causing him to become estranged from the family he had left. In the end he proved to his son that he was right all along and having been redeemed, ends up dying at the power plant where his wife died to kick everything off in the first place.

His arc was done and there was nothing else his character could have added to the story.

I didn't say he needed to be the same character. I just said he needed to be in more of the movie because he's a way better actor. He could've been a completely different character and in all likelihood the movie still would've been better simply because Bryan Cranston is that good at his job.

Fuck it, scrap his whole character if it means Cranston doesn't bite it before anyone says the name "Godzilla".

Sephzilla

Still better than Godzilla 2014

djgtu52.gif

I'm no fan of 2014 Godzilla, but at least with that movie I got the impression they were earnest in trying something interesting even if failing at it. I found Skull Island so incredibly boring and rote that I was actually thinking back to the 2014 Godzilla with wistfulness, at least that movie had Cranston putting in effort.

Yes to Oxygen Destroyer. No to Destoroyah. Or at least not right now, I want Ghidorah to be a multi-movie big bad. And just being reminded of the vs Destoroyah movie puts me to sleep.

And this is a golden era for monster movies, the last one I didn't like was... I don't know, Millenium, maybe? Skull Island was dumb fun and Shin and 2014 were aquired tastes for me but I ended up enjoying them quite a bit upon rewatch for very different reasons.

Sephzilla

Ghidorah should be the villain for Godzilla 3 because the marketing for Godzilla 3 having a 3 headed monster as the villain pretty much writes itself. Godzilla going from fighting Rodan/Mothra and then Ghidorah to fighting Kong feels like a step down to me.

Fuck both Godzilla and skull island. I think this one will be good though. I like this director a lot more than Edwards who has solely been involved in duds imo

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't get the people that complained about all the human drama in the first film. That's what almost all godzilla movies focus on

Godzilla 2014 is a pretty clear homage to the Showa Era Godzilla movies, except the Showa Era Godzilla movies actually showed fights.

This is a joke, right? Godzilla 2014 does show the fights. Yes, it does the cutaway thing one time too many, but the last 20 minutes of the movie centers on the monsters.

Sephzilla

This is a joke, right? Godzilla 2014 does show the fights.

It only shows one of the three monster fights that happens during the movie. It cuts away just before the Hawaii fight starts and also cuts away just as Godzilla is about to fight the MUTO in San Fran. We don't actually get solid monster fighting until the nighttime bit.

Imagine if Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla cut away to a different scene just as Godzilla shows up to fight Imposter Godzilla.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Destoroyah even though I like that movie. I think most of the hype comes from the things surrounding Destoroyah rather than Destoroyah itself. The interesting origin, how it was defeated involving the burning G subplot, and the death of Godzilla. Destroyer is surrounded by a lot of interesting stuff but the monster is sort of too bulky for it's own good. It can barely move and looks a little too dorky when flying.
Basically. When the basis of most of these monsters is their design and backstory I think Destoroyah is pretty cool as far as Kaiju go.

I'd be totally down for him being the villain in the third one since he's a neat "personal" villain for Godzilla, that is if they go the whole Oxygen Destroyer route.

The cutaway from the airport fight never bothered me, honestly. I always liked the framing of the kid waking up with all his dinosaur toys to seeing actual dinosaurs fighting on TV; it immediately calls to mind what watching a Godzilla movie was like as a child -- seeing these awesome dinosaur monster come to life and fight each other. Plus, we at least get some highlights of the fight from the news footage; if we had cut from Godzilla's first appearance to the following morning of Major Kickass looking for the monorail kid's parents, THAT would've been bullshit.

The second cut, just before the fight in downtown SF, was too much, I agree -- even if the scene it's cutting to is the HALO jump.

But once the soldiers land and Godzilla issues that challenge to the female MUTO, it's all monster action, and it's some of the best in any G film, ever.

Sephzilla

The final 20 minutes of Godzilla 2014 are definitely some of the best monster fights in a Godzilla movie, 100% agree with you there. I just wish I didn't have to sit through a boring as hell middle act to get to it.

Final Wars figured out the best way to fill gaps between awesome Godzilla fights is to fill it with crazy human fights.

The final 20 minutes of Godzilla 2014 are definitely some of the best monster fights in a Godzilla movie, 100% agree with you there. I just wish I didn't have to sit through a boring as hell middle act to get to it.

Final Wars figured out the best way to fill gaps between awesome Godzilla fights is to fill it with crazy human fights.
Agree with all of the above.

Final Wars was such goofy fun. Proof, if it were needed, that clusterfucks can work.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Make it. I need to know which Godzilla comics that are available on CMX EU are actually good.
Read Half Century War. Or hunt down the Hardcover. Its super beautiful and great, you can have a look at it in my Godzilla Review LTTP Thread.

And I am passing on making that OT, my Photoshop skills are shit and I think someone who has seen all Godzilla movies should do it - I am still missing most Showa Movies and all the Extended Universe Movies like Mothra or War of the Gargantuas.

Vectorman

Banned
Real talk: I totally want Godzilla '14 vs Shin Godzilla. Godzilla '14 totally would need his buds Rodan and Mothra and the humans to defeat Electric Boogaloo Godzilla.

Gravidee

Final Wars was the worst trash. Sorry. No way it was better then 2014.

I'll always remember seeing the movie in Japanese theaters back in late 2004/start of 2005. I was hyped to finally see a Godzilla movie in theaters for the first time in its home country. But the style of the movie and its cheap production values was such a turnoff, that by the time it finished I walked out silent, and completely disappointed at just how bad the movie was.

Sephzilla

Final Wars is pretty much the pinnacle of cheesy B-Movies. I adore that movie and how unafraid it was to go balls to the wall with its absurdity.

If you're going to go crazy, you go to 11 with it.

Well I moved into a new place with my girlfriend, went on vacation, and work got busy! im sorry! :(

Real talk: I totally want Godzilla '14 vs Shin Godzilla. Godzilla '14 totally would need his buds Rodan and Mothra and the humans to defeat Electric Boogaloo Godzilla.

I want Shin Godzilla vs Burning Godzilla.

Shin Godzilla is basically a glass cannon while Burning Godzilla is basically a tank

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Final Wars is pretty much the pinnacle of cheesy B-Movies.
Problem is, when you come of +10 serious meant and well produced Godzilla movies, that one is just such a change in tone that it hurts.
Well I moved into a new place with my girlfriend, went on vacation, and work got busy! im sorry! :(
Thats not an execuse!
Its ok :p

Sephzilla

Problem is, when you come of +10 serious meant and well produced Godzilla movies, that one is just such a change in tone that it hurts.

Thats not an execuse!
Its ok :p

Man, I dunno, I didn't think a lot of the Godzilla movies leading up to Final Wars were that serious. Most of the Millennium era movies were pretty silly, aside from GMK. Godzilla vs Megaguirus has Godzilla doing a flying cross body, catching a stinger that's going like mach 3 with his teeth, while the humans ready a black hole weapon (and nobody apparently has issue with Japan having a weapon that creates black holes). And Kiryu was pretty much an anime mech built to fight Godzilla who becomes self aware and can shoot an ice blast so cold it should logically cause massive environmental issues.

Final Wars was basically them looking at all of the Showa & Millennium Era plotlines and being fully self aware that it was goofy schlock. So the end result is knock off Power Rangers fighting Kaiju while one of them flies a fighter jet into the totally not Death Star Epcot Center while Godzilla shoots an asteroid out of orbit with an atomic blast kamehameha. All while Japanese Keanu Reeves unlocks his hidden potential to become Super Saiyan Neo so he can beat K-Pop Vegeta. I fucking love this movie

Top Bottom