• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 27 - Feb 2 | The Power of Gamers

slash5150

Neo Member
P.S. Not moving out of SoCal lol

Mid-Cal?

But on a serious note. I think what ESGN has shown to the community is great. The concept was spot on and it gave a fresh experience into what content could really become.

I don't know what the other episodes hold in store since we don't know their production schedule, but it felt like they were trying to generate a League of Legends/Starcraft 2 formula and then apply it to a fighting game event. I know the concept could work, it just feels the first episode of ESGN was rushed.

The framerate was a bit bothersome to me too because that it was only the game that was choppy and not the actual stream.

They should drop the girls, or at least have them wear something less embarrassing.

agreed.

also Horsehead bets.
funny-horse-head-gif.gif

I am watching this ESGN TV rebroadcast. I am probably not the target audience, but it seems really cheesy to me.

I just want the matches. Clean overlays, instant replays in between matches when applicable, camera on player faces in the corners, player profiles and older match highlights on the ready on the small downtimes, a ticker at the bottom of the screen or info pop ups on the screen for other stuff as needed.

Maybe I watch too much sports (which I do), I want the game to be the game, save the other stuff for the pre/post game, the highlight shows, the preview shows during the week that build the hype and profile the participants.

I know this is like a game show or reality show set up, but whatevers. The framerate sucks as well, but that is something I hope they can just fix. I hope that is not the target look.

ismk

The Excellent Adventures trailers is amazing. I can watch it 100 times and never get tired of it. The lottery numbers bit is the best.

Omega

Banned
Are people never going to learn that you can't make real money playing fighting games?

Funny, people said this about all video games in general 10 years ago

A CoD player makes six figures now. And plenty of people make around that or more by playing video games.

The Excellent Adventures trailers is amazing. I can watch it 100 times and never get tired of it. The lottery numbers bit is the best.

Same fucking here! That trailer is hilarious, I must have watched it at least 20 times today. The lottery numbers part is hilarious and Mike Ross adds to that because his reaction to Gootecks is like "holy shit, Gootecks has ascended and it's amazing and scary!"

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I hate Flash with a passion.

Last week when Dailymotion disconnected for everyone with the Gootecks & Mike Ross Show, it kept crashing constantly every single time I refreshed, and now it's doing the same shit again. So damn annoying especially since I was enjoying that just now. Damn it.

Nabs

Last week when Dailymotion disconnected for everyone with the Gootecks & Mike Ross Show, it kept crashing constantly every single time I refreshed, and now it's doing the same shit again. So damn annoying especially since I was enjoying that just now. Damn it.

Make sure to catch the archive. This stuff is great.

ismk

I think it's Dailymotion's live streaming service not Flash but Flash is still ass though.

Rob the Magician is the best guest yet.

is it weird i thought you were talking about flashmetroid for a second

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Make sure to catch the archive. This stuff is great.

I missed the whole end of the magic part, but I caught all of Rob the magic guy's Dan play, Mike's fraudulent "smart" Cody, and that XBL message asking Gootecks who is next to him and the magician guy.

Tears are in my eyes from all of the laughter, I will definitely watch the show archive from the beginning, this is brilliant.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I think it's Dailymotion's live streaming service not Flash but Flash is still ass though.

Rob the Magician is the best guest yet.

You're right, since it's happened both times with only the live streaming, I've never had any crashes watch regular Dailymotion video. I even came to that conclusion last week too, but I guess I was so annoyed just now I straight-up blamed (Adobe) Flash for it.

is it weird i thought you were talking about flashmetroid for a second

Hahahaha - nah, I should have realized that possibility in a FGC thread...

Some things I said about ESGN on Twitter:

"I like the efforts being put on by ESGN. Something different to watch supporting some of our best players/personalities. Always room 4 more!

I wouldn't nitpick on the production quality so much as to the potential of the show. Producing shows is that new new to bring in eyes.

What's cool about ESGN Fight Night, they put on a show that made you think of the community rather than just the match being played."

P.S. Not moving out of SoCal lol

i like that it's a different take on a fighting game event and that tasteless is trying to commentate it, i think both of those things should bring new people in. i also like that they're experimenting with a very different type of exhibition, and i like the attempt at production value.

my critiques are
a) give it a rest with the sexist schoolgirl bs
b) up the frame rate
c) always show matches in full, don't pull away during the action for shots of the players and don't hop into a round 5 seconds after round start
d) the fake crowd noise is weird and distracting

i don't think those are nitpicks at all, they're problems that i hope esgn will solve. i wish them all the best

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Whatever happened to Dr. SubZero?

Cross Assault kinda revived him

He honestly disappeared afterwards from what I'm seeing, probably someone has concrete info as to what has happened to him. Also, I really hope Capcom has it in them to do a cheap reality show with some FGC players. If FChamp is included with Combofiend and CJ ShowStopper, I am donating money to support the show.

Exr

Whatever happened to Dr. SubZero?

Cross Assault kinda revived him
After breaking the long slience since his podcast days he has left the scene again. I dont think he'll be comming back. Hopefully he doesnt isolate himself and get depressed again...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
i like that it's a different take on a fighting game event and that tasteless is trying to commentate it, i think both of those things should bring new people in. i also like that they're experimenting with a very different type of exhibition, and i like the attempt at production value.

my critiques are
a) give it a rest with the sexist schoolgirl bs
b) up the frame rate
c) always show matches in full, don't pull away during the action for shots of the players and don't hop into a round 5 seconds after round start
d) the fake crowd noise is weird and distracting

i don't think those are nitpicks at all, they're problems that i hope esgn will solve. i wish them all the best

I completely agree with this. Just bringing in the models just shows how much of a sellout it is. I understand people are desperate and can't seem to control themselves when they see an attractive woman, but keep it out. These guys want to maintain professionalism, keep the BS models out of it and concentrate on what made this scene in the first place, two sticks and two people.

Also, ESGN is tapping into a lot of potential but sadly I think it won't last. They will sponsor it for a while and realize the format they are doing it in won't work too well for this crowd and instead of re-formatting it to appease the audience, they'll just jump ship and leave an audience craving for more of this.

kazuo

It has the best netcode of any game I've played personally. The low end is far better than other games (even shitty red bar connections can be playable though they aren't perfect) and the top end is pretty much like sitting next to the person.

How do you know the netcode for Full Boost is the best of any game you have played personally, when it doesn't come out for three days?

Clawww

as for an actual nitpick: the set design is pretty goofy. it doesn't really sell the competitive angle to have all the players kinda just chillin aimlessly on the couch together. not digging the cheap game show brightly lit colorful studio look, either. on the other hand I'm also relieved it's not going for some ugly edgy thing.

but yea, it's a cool venture and I can get behind it.

Shouta

How do you know the netcode for Full Boost is the best of any game you have played personally, when it doesn't come out for three days?

Previous version of the game. Unless they're dumb and changed the netcode, it's good shit.

CurlyW

So apparently ESGN did a Fight Night for Starcraft 2 last week (and yes, it was also called "Fight Night"). SC2 fans had the same complaints that we did.

Pretty is indeed the best word i could find. The studio, desks, player area, everything looks really, really good. A joy to watch. (Would be even better if there actually was a crowd live, but that is a different story I guess.)

Anyhow, my main comment is about all of the cheesiness everywhere! The wheel, the hosts white suit (3 x:s too large) the scantily clad girls and your way of just overdoing.

Please, keep the pretty studio but tone it down a bit. And either give the girls some clothes or preferably just take them [the girls] away.

It also looks like the SC2 Fight Night had framerate issues as well.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I helped with the planning of ESGN and thought it was a great series/event. I can't wait for future ones. It should give an excellent way of storytelling for people within/outside the community. This is just one flavor ppl, I'm sure... like with most things that has criticism stemmed from the community, it will get better in time. almost beastlike. ;)

Dahbomb

Cool story bro.
Wow...

My first exposure to the ESGN thing was through the Hearthstone invitational. Similar format as the Street Fighter.

There is definitely a place for this although I am not sure how long they can keep this up with the big prize money and high production values.

Top Bottom