• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
No because I don't know them lol

Isn't mahvel anime too?
zmm8oXO.png

Kumubou

why such a low number for bbcp?
The game is on 2.0 in Japan whereas the US is still on 1.1; feedback on 2.0 seems rather negative and there's a bunch of fresher games. Honestly, BB has never really had a strong presence at events in the US outside of the few months following BBCP's console release.
im kinda surprised. I thought they rubbed people the wrong way when they were taking down hitbox guides on youtube.
That sort of thing is going to irritate the community (it certainly pissed me off) but it's not going to kill it outright unless they're pulling everything.
Dem anime NEC numbers:

UNIEL 117
P4U 86
GG 66
BBCP 60
I could see P4AU breaking 100 after late registrations. UNIEL could surpass BBCP's number last year (which was 150 or so), which would be nuts. If it hit that, the only game with more entrants would be USF4.

Beckx

Hey Q, I know you really liked Hyrule Warriors. Sell me on it?

I ain't Q, and it was my first musou, and I'm loving it. There's a lot to do and the challenges in the adventure map keep me coming back to it.

The DLC has been fantastic for Zelda fans - Epona, Twili Midna. Very interested to see what characters the Majora's Mask pack has (Skull Kid? Kid Link?). Amiibo support is fun, my first time through one of my amiibo unlocked a version of Epona stronger than any other weapon I've gotten playing, while another one unlocked one measly rupee.

B3p5CoYIQAAsVsI.jpg

I ain't Q, and it was my first musou, and I'm loving it. There's a lot to do and the challenges in the adventure map keep me coming back to it.

The DLC has been fantastic for Zelda fans - Epona, Twili Midna. Very interested to see what characters the Majora's Mask pack has (Skull Kid? Kid Link?). Amiibo support is fun, my first time through one of my amiibo unlocked a version of Epona stronger than any other weapon I've gotten playing, while another one unlocked one measly rupee.

B3p5CoYIQAAsVsI.jpg
I normally loathe musou games, but the fact that you and Q like it makes me interested. Is the combat interesting? Or is it just mashy crap with lots of fanservice?

Beckx

I normally loathe musou games, but the fact that you and Q like it makes me interested. Is the combat interesting? Or is it just mashy crap with lots of fanservice?

It can be mashy, especially on lower difficulties. So playing on normal you're mostly in it for the fanservice (but two months in I'm still not tired of seeing these animations). But the adventure maps and the higher difficulties are what make it interesting for me. Tight time frames to beat a set number of enemies, enemies that kill in two hits, high score requirements for gold unlocks.

I can't say how it stacks up compared to other musou though.

Oh, and co op is great, it's another one where one player uses the gamepad screen so you both have a full screen to yourself.

Astarte

It can be mashy, especially on lower difficulties. So playing on normal you're mostly in it for the fanservice (but two months in I'm still not tired of seeing these animations). But the adventure maps and the higher difficulties are what make it interesting for me. Tight time frames to beat a set number of enemies, enemies that kill in two hits, high score requirements for gold unlocks.

I can't say how it stacks up compared to other musou though.

Oh I was about to ask on how it compares to Sengoku Basara :X

Kimosabae

Banned
Don't know much about Xrd yet, but I can't imagine it wouldn't work against most of the cast. You'll get more or less reps depending on size and fallspeed, but I can't see most characters not succumbing to at least two reps, just like +R

Don't know much about Xrd yet, but I can't imagine it wouldn't work against most of the cast. You'll get more or less reps depending on size and fallspeed, but I can't see most characters not succumbing to at least two reps, just like +R

My problem with most characters is hitting with the 2C after the first rep. I guess a certain amount of air time is required for each character. 30% of the time I can complete it but I'm not sure what I did differently (talking about other ways to start the loop here not just throw RC).

I can't wait for training mode.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hey Q, I know you really liked Hyrule Warriors. Sell me on it?

Can you post the rest of the numbers for comparison?

I typed up a super long thing on my phone earlier while I was still in bed but I guess it never posted and now it's gone :D

In short, Don't play any of the Musou games for their combat unless it's a game from the Orochi Series, the Musou games overall are glofied beat em up games with huge empheisis on time and place.

A lot of the reason people get burned out is they try to fight everything they see and that's not how the games are ment to be played. Think of it like say an RTS and you are controlling a super broken hero unit. Your goal is to destroy the bases and other hero units not all the fodder.

The best thing about Hyrule Warriors is the fact the characters all play pretty damn differently from each other once you max their attack chains out, with a large chunk of the weapons/characters have their own unique little gameplay mechanics.

Then there are the standard zelda items bombs/boomerangs/hookshot/arrows which you use on bosses like a standard zelda fight but you also have them for use all the time so you can do some fun things with them :D

The Story mode last about 15 hours on hard and with the dlc the adventure mode is well over 200 hours and has a large variety of little missions to do for every character for unlocks and upgrades.

Exr

Dynasty Warriors is a great series and it took a Zelda skin for lots of people to give it a chance...just goes to show what a known ip can do for a series. Wonder if people will go back to smack talking the next 47 Dynasty Warriors games.

CurlyW

Will NEC pools and/or brackets be posted sometime before Friday?

Also numbers this year for NEC seem higher than usual. NEC traditionally has gotten most of its attendance through at-the-venue registrants. Nice that they've seemingly worked harder to get people to pre-reg.

Dynasty Warriors is a great series and it took a Zelda skin for lots of people to give it a chance...just goes to show what a known ip can do for a series. Wonder if people will go back to smack talking the next 47 Dynasty Warriors games.

dw8 is so good though (not dw 3-5 tier, but up there)

Shouta

UNIEL still healthy is awesome. Looks good for the NA release next year.

It's kind of the new SFxT, lol Most of the SFxT players that I know of have transitioned over to that game. I don't know how long it'll last though. I don't really see it played much much anywhere anymore except at a few majors.

XB1 stick is here

XB1 stick is glossy compared to the matte finish of the PS4 stick.
Where did you purchase it? I can't find a good place. Any thoughts on its build and features?

I typed up a super long thing on my phone earlier while I was still in bed but I guess it never posted and now it's gone :D

In short, Don't play any of the Musou games for their combat unless it's a game from the Orochi Series, the Musou games overall are glofied beat em up games with huge empheisis on time and place.

A lot of the reason people get burned out is they try to fight everything they see and that's not how the games are ment to be played. Think of it like say an RTS and you are controlling a super broken hero unit. Your goal is to destroy the bases and other hero units not all the fodder.

The best thing about Hyrule Warriors is the fact the characters all play pretty damn differently from each other once you max their attack chains out, with a large chunk of the weapons/characters have their own unique little gameplay mechanics.

Then there are the standard zelda items bombs/boomerangs/hookshot/arrows which you use on bosses like a standard zelda fight but you also have them for use all the time so you can do some fun things with them :D

The Story mode last about 15 hours on hard and with the dlc the adventure mode is well over 200 hours and has a large variety of little missions to do for every character for unlocks and upgrades.
Thanks for typing this up twice!

It's kind of the new SFxT, lol Most of the SFxT players that I know of have transitioned over to that game. I don't know how long it'll last though. I don't really see it played much much anywhere anymore except at a few majors.
What do you think it is about UNIEL that draws SFxT players in?

Shouta

It's not SF4 but plays in a similar-style would probably be the big thing It's also a lot more free form and combo-like which was the the big thing with SFxT. I'd like it for those reasons if the core design choices weren't out of sync with the type of game it is.

jbug617

Banned
Where did you purchase it? I can't find a good place. Any thoughts on its build and features?

I got it from Amazon. The stick is glossy so there will be fingerprints on it. Seems heavier than the Hrap V4 and the door to hold the cable seems flimsy.

It's not SF4 but plays in a similar-style would probably be the big thing It's also a lot more free form and combo-like which was the the big thing with SFxT. I'd like it for those reasons if the core design choices weren't out of sync with the type of game it is.

can you elaborate on that?

Lemstar

If anyone was planning on getting KOF13 Steam during the daily sale, I can save you some money - I have a Steam gift copy that I never got around to redeeming; you can have it for the $7.54 I paid for it.

Did anyone besides onionfrog buy an XB1 recently? Today's the last day for the Titanfall Deluxe $12.49 sale, I believe.

There was always something familiar about UNIEL that I couldn't place. This made it click. It's a less garish SFxT with actually good, nice-feeling movement instead of rotten ass from a snail that drowned in molasses.

Shouta

can you elaborate on that?

The two biggest issues I have with UNIEL are its lack of a proper back and forth game flow and the fact that char design and screen real estate is incongruent. They're somewhat related but slightly different as well.

The back and forth thing is something most games do by balancing out the advantage and start-up of big and small moves. It's usually done in such a manner that someone that accidentally puts the wrong big button there or hits too many weak attacks becomes susceptible to retaliation with normal moves. The defending player then gets to take their turn and start their offense up as a result. But in UNIEL, thanks to the minutia of frames and the chain system, everything is basically minimized to the L button or your jab in regards to advantage/star-up. All the big moves can go into L to avoid their recovery and even their block stun as I recall. It basically means that your ability to punish and start your offense, or take your turn, becomes far more difficult. They have systems to help this a bit but it's kind of a bandaid over the problem, IMO.

Then there's the fact that it's set to a SF style stage with no vertical element to it. Big buttons that can have their recovery reduced to near nothing means that they can be used as much as you want and there's not as much some characters can do about it. In ArcSys games with crazy buttons, vertical space and airdashing allows you another avenue to get in to avoid certain attacks. If big buttons could be properly punished then it would be a bit different but nope.

I mean take a look at the top 3 in the game, Wald, Merkava and Gordeau. Big buttons everywhere. Look at the next few chars like Hilda and Vatista, both being projectile/big button chars too. It's really no surprise at all. when you think about it, They can do whatever they want most of the time.

I think the game is pretty interesting but it could use a bit more of a critical design review.

Anne

Every time I read things like this and every time I see or mess with the game again it makes me want to give UNIEL another shot. Maybe I should.

You know I'm here for you baby, noodle void creature arms outstretched.

Also, there is my turn really hard in UNiEL, but you're a bit off base on neutral. Like Merkava is def like that where you're going to hold that L in neutral quite a bit cause buttons, but in the tier right after the S tiers you have Eltnum (who has big buttons but not like that) and Linne. Bad whiffs and bad neutral happen and you die, they just happen at different ranges than what most consider "normal" for a fighter.

On top of that now that I think about it, a lot of interactions in UNiEL do come down to challenging buttons and finding those spaces and frames. Like I get what you're saying, but there are more nuances to it other than "you can't properly punish big buttons".

Shouta

You know I'm here for you baby, noodle void creature arms outstretched.

Also, there is my turn really hard in UNiEL, but you're a bit off base on neutral. Like Merkava is def like that where you're going to hold that L in neutral quite a bit cause buttons, but in the tier right after the S tiers you have Eltnum (who has big buttons but not like that) and Linne. Bad whiffs and bad neutral happen and you die, they just happen at different ranges than what most consider "normal" for a fighter.

Oh, there's definitely "My Turn" in UNIEL, but there's not as much ebb and flow to it. It's either you get hammered or you're doing the hammering. Where as a game like VF, or even SF, the back and forth is noticeably there.The Grid system materializes this into a system but most games usually have this as a part of the game.

Poor decisions are poor decisions which is what whiffing at a bad range is, lol. They don't really factor in when looking at the game's design choice in my view.

There are certainly nuances to it but it's not even about just not being able to punish big buttons. It's the affect it has on the gameplay. I'd be fine if a big button wasn't punishable but couldn't recover so fast, allowing other chars to close the distance where necessary.

Anne

Thats What I mean by my turn. I agree it is insane how much you can impose will. The thing about big button reverse beat is you can challenge in different ways unless you really got the short end. Idk I just see it differently.

jbug617

Banned
Can you go into more detail about why the buttons aren't good?

I know Markman said something similar, and I respect his opinion.

They feel more stiff compared to the Madcatz buttons (I think they are Sanwa) and also sometimes it squeaks when you push it.

Top Bottom