• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | DaiGOAT

Uraizen

Banned

Okay, seriously, NRS, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and thought with the increase in power with next gen consoles that you would give us improved netcode. If this is not the case, I don't see a reason to pick up another game from you since all I care about is playing with friends who do more than roll their thumb across the controller.

If there is one opinion I trust the most, it's Max. Not because of his experience (no offense, Max) but because our opinions are usually 1:1 when it comes to netcode. Will I miss NRS games? Yes. Is there a point to playing them if I can't play them with friends who know what they're doing? No.

EDIT: Top of 50ppp? Good.

Shackzam

Can we wait for more impressions before we just straight up calling it shit. There's only three people doing this before the game officially released. I'm not saying it's going to be good, but I don't like jumping the gun.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Can we wait for more impressions before we just straight up calling it shit. There's only three people doing this before the game officially released. I'm not saying it's going to be good, but I don't like jumping the gun.

This right here. Especially since we already know there's a day 1 patch.

I just played three matches with complete strangers in ranked. The first one felt a bit laggy but as the guy was spamming Eron slide all the time I don't know what to think. The second one was good and the third one too, against a Kung Lao and a Takeda.

4282363906.png

Stop freaking out. It's very playable right now and they can patch it day one.

Uraizen

Banned
Original Persona 4 Arena got a week one patch on 360 IIRC.

Never experienced that issue first hand, so I'll take your word for it.

BBCT and P4A 360 went from bad to awesome so far.

Like I said, my opinion is usually 1:1 with Max's. Can I get an idea of what ours is like? What is your opinion on 3sO's, SFxT's, Ultra's, UMvC3's, BBCP's, and Injustice's netcode? If you can't comment on all of them, that's cool, just need an idea.

Nyoro SF

Forget about the netcode for a moment, how does the matchmaking in the game work? Is there numerical ping or is it just colored bars? Can you set your region like in Xrd and SG?

Shackzam

I just played three matches with complete strangers in ranked. The first one felt a bit laggy but as the guy was spamming Eron slide all the time I don't know what to think. The second one was good and the third one too, against a Kung Lao and a Takeda.

4282363906.png

Are you in the U.S.? Just been hearing a lot of European impressions and most of the U.S. impressions have been mixed.

Westlo

So after Topanga 3 Daigo said...

He says Elena is so bad against Evil Ryu. He trained Ibuki matchup instead before Sako match.

While Sako was pretty much mindfucked, didn't feel like he could beat Daigo but that he would train to close the gap.

Tonight... Sako da gawd delivered a beatdown with Elena
rejoice.png

It actually opened the door for Momochi, who's beaten two of the players at 4-2 (Umehara and Xian) and faces the other two (Bonchan and sako) tomorrow. It's not entirely in his hands, but he has a decent shot at the championship.

He's so gonna unleash Evil Ryu on Bonchan.... not that Ken vs Gat is a bad matchup (ken wins comfortably) character wise but Bon's always been good against Ken for obvious reasons (two kens in topanga a league).

And if Bon counters with Ryu he can always go back to Ken. He took out Daigo's Ryu in Topanga 3...

Sako vs Momochi could be pretty pivotal... Sako was up 6-3 (he had advantage so that was 5-3 really) in that set they played at topanga 4 where Momochi ended up winning 6-8.

So basically Sako wants to win both games and hopes Daigo does the same because that would assure him first place.

They could be using the patch 1.01 development/testing weeks to polish up the netcode... but they've got four characters to work on in the mean time.

We can but hope. We now have two 2.5D games with at least competent rollback netcode - KI and SFxT. The fact that NRS are still using delay-based code when rollback is demonstrably better (and they're developing a title which will be most bought in the US/EU/CIS - not places known for Japanese/Korean levels of infrastructure) is foolish.

Then again it looks like they're still using the same basic training mode record/playback code they've been using since, what, MKvsDC?

Never experienced that issue first hand, so I'll take your word for it.

BBCT and P4A 360 went from bad to awesome so far.

Like I said, my opinion is usually 1:1 with Max's. Can I get an idea of what ours is like? What is your opinion on 3sO's, SFxT's, Ultra's, UMvC3's, BBCP's, and Injustice's netcode? If you can't comment on all of them, that's cool, just need an idea.

USF4 is ok, injustice was ok for me too. Last games i played online more were Uniel and Xrd. Uniel was perfect et Xrd soso.

Forget about the netcode for a moment, how does the matchmaking in the game work? Is there numerical ping or is it just colored bars? Can you set your region like in Xrd and SG?

Color bars. Did not Check the rest.

Are you in the U.S.? Just been hearing a lot of European impressions and most of the U.S. impressions have been mixed.

France.

Can you report back some matches vs Italian connections so I know if I have to have the same kicking policy as I do for USF4? ;)

If the netcode is bad then the game's RIP in peace. In the UK, MK9 lasted about... hmm. March -> August 2011. Five months before the scene gave up and it turned into a poverty game.

I'm not putting too much stock into any of the netcode impressions or even the impressions on the characters from those who got the game early.

Folks on Test Your Might were posting frame data and such for particular characters, but that stuff may very well be changed with the day one patch on April 14th. I'll see everything MKX has to offer in a few days, as will most other folks.

I'd expect more freemium mobile games from Marvel until the bottom falls out of that market. At the moment there's just far more money sitting there than on consoles.

FourMyle

This Spring fighter kind of came out of nowhere (at least for me). Pretty awesome though. Leaving it on in the background while I play some Bloodborne

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Well that sucks about MKX.

To be honest I take Max & LI Joe's impressions as gold standard. Most people don't really understand what makes a games netcode good. Even with delay based netcode they can't tell.

NRS are fucking idiots for not putting more money and man power to develop KI level netcode. :(

Xtyle

Sako vs Momochi could be pretty pivotal... Sako was up 6-3 (he had advantage so that was 5-3 really) in that set they played at topanga 4 where Momochi ended up winning 6-8.

So basically Sako wants to win both games and hopes Daigo does the same because that would assure him first place.

Is it just me or is this head to head rule really stupid. Basically, it does't matter if any of them win their 2 matches tomorrow...it comes down to doing that, and also depending on the outcome of other people's matches...it's confusing (even though reading the final results won't be, but it is confusing at figuring out who can win and in what situation).

Marceles

I have 50/5 internet and played 5 matches on the PS4 version.

2 were playable (both with the same guy), and by playable I mean if I do a jump in attack, the button will come out before I land. 3 were pretty awful to the point where I could only do MK2 Kitana 9% damage combos. It wasn't fun enough to be satisfied with the netcode. If the netcode will be how it is for ESL, god help all of the entries.

Max can get disappointed really easily if the netcode stinks or if a game isn't 60 FPS, but I'll have to agree with him on the netcode. Offline is done beautiful, hopefully the online is improved Tuesday or shortly later.

Horseress

All these mixed opinions on the netcode :lol

Weirdly, most good impressions about it are from Europeans, all Americans that have tried it says it sucks.

Tizoc

So I'm watching the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie and
1- Holy shit is 'Rayden''s raspy voice hilarious
2- Liu Kang's hair
3- Effin' Reptile lol
4- Dat dude flexing his body against Sub Zero, only to get 1 shot by an ice ball
5- Shang Tsung rockin dat black coat long before Wesker
6- Johnny Cage is the best thing about this movie
7- Holy shit Kevin Michael Richardson is Goro's voice
8- Dat Mortal Kombat theme playing at the mediocre fight scene
9- All dem poses in the first MK fight
10- Also black dude Liu Kang fights should've been an actual MK character
11- Dat chest cracking kick
12- "Your soul is mine!" "NOOOOOO!"
13- Scorpion vs. Johnny came out of fucking nowhere
14- Scorpion doing a fatality mid-fight is badonkers
15- People questioning Sub Zero vs. Liu Kang, and Cage beats Scorpion with weapons lol
16- What's up with Kitana fighting Liu Kang? Like why was Liu even on the beach? ...and why did Tsun allow them to even get close to each other, he himself didn't want her to be Liu's ally...
17- ...and now it's Sub Zero vs. Liu Kang, no effin' transition or explanation for why Liu was brought to fight Sub Zero.
18- How fast was Liu spinning the bucket that no water spilled from it on him lol.
19- So Goro's strategy for winning a fight is to just grab and throw people on the ground.
20- What's Sonya freaking out over the black dude Goro killed for? She barely even knew the guy.
21- Rayden shows up whenever the fuck he wants lol
22- That dick punch
23- "Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole"
24- Seriously that's all it took to defeat Goro? Kicks to the face?
25- ...and now Sonya becomes a damsel in distress all of a sudden...
26- How the fuck Reptile turn into a human ninja like that?
27- Dat flying kick and the flipping
28- Shang Tsung be using some Paid DLC shit in that fight against Liu Kang
29- Man Shang Tsung gets built up like he's this big somebody, but he gets humiliated so badly
30- They keep saying 'Flawless Victory' I don't think it means what they think it means.
31- Shao Khan showing up out of nowhere and then that's it lol.

I view this movie like I view the SF movie although I find the latter to have some better pacing.

I think what really got me about playing CotA was that the cabinet was right next to Street Fighter II, and it was interesting to feel how immediately different they were while sharing the standard six button layout.

This feeling, or lack thereof, was something that really bothered me in Injustice, in spite of thinking that it was a good game. In this case, even though alterations were made to the basic control scheme, the heroes and villains still "felt" like Mortal Kombat characters. Now, Injustice was a very different game from MK9, but I suppose I wanted the differences to be more stark and apparent, which may have never been their intention to begin with.

I just wanted Injustice and Mortal Kombat to co-exist in a similar way that SF and the "Vs."-styled games always have, and I thought that feeling of similarity, amongst other things, sort of keep such a scenario from occurring.

Horseress

"like injustice"

Yeah, he didn't said "bad" but "like Injustice" isn't a good thing at all

Rip @reepal
Tried some online practice mode last night (socal->socal) Felt like Injustice.

He probably knew the guy he was playing with, since it was online pratice mode.

Still, too early (hella early) to judge the netcode, we'll have to wait

Xevren

Yeah, he didn't said "bad" but "like Injustice" isn't a good thing at all

He probably knew the guy he was playing with, since it was online pratice mode.

Still, too early (hella early) to judge the netcode, we'll have to wait

Probably was playing with Rickstah, I really hope this day 1 patch really does improve it. NRS plz

Top Bottom