• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII Rebirth Graphics or Performance Mode?

Perfomance vs Graphics Mode

• Graphics, 30fps - Higher Res

Votes: 115 42.8%
  • Perfomance, 60fps - Lower Res (Terrible TAA)

Votes: 103 38.3%
  • Graphics, 30fps - Higher Res (OLED)

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Perfomance, 60fps - Lower Res (Terrible TAA) (OLED)

Votes: 25 9.3%

• Total voters

TYRiAX

I tried to give 30fps a shot as I just came off 50 hours in PS4 Death Stranding so I thought my brain was adjusted to 30, but after a few battles I had to switch it to 60.

For some reason I feel I can handle 30 in games that only support 30, but I can never get used to 30 when games support 30 & 60. Does anyone else feel this way too?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They need to at least patch better motion blur on the 30 fps mode, cause it feels choppy. But I'll still take it over the Vaseline mode. The open zones are very dense with incidental detail and vegetation and the performance mode just turns it into smears.

DeVeAn

I’m still contemplating if I wanna buy this game. I’m a huge fan of Final Fantasy 7 and the remake but, this crappy looking performance mode really really turns me off though. I do want to play the game I’m torn.

paolo11

They need to at least patch better motion blur on the 30 fps mode, cause it feels choppy. But I'll still take it over the Vaseline mode. The open zones are very dense with incidental detail and vegetation and the performance mode just turns it into smears.
I wish they do a patch. Knowing Square, they rarely fix their games or listen

TexMex

I can normally barely tell the fidelity hit between performance and graphics modes, so I always go performance. But here, my god - it completely destroys the image quality. It's so blurry it feels like I'm playing without my glasses on.

Fidelity mode, that 30fps frame rate feels even sub 30 (though I'm sure it isn't) - it just feels awful to play.

This is one game where there's really just no good choice. I'm playing performance, but I hate it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I started with 30fps and was greeted by a choppy mess.
Yes 60fps is very soft due to the lower resolution, but i can’t take anything else.

Killjoy-NL

Performance.

Have to admit that I've finally reached the point where I get the people that keep demanding higher framerates.

It's not like I mind 30fps per sé, but in this game 60fps easily justifies the drop in IQ, even on my A90J.
It's still looks fine to me, although a bit more blurry.
But it should be fine on my Portal.

What worries me more is the absolutely terrible audio on my surround set. Is it bugged or something.
Something's way off with the audio.

Killjoy-NL

The mixing is wack. Lower the music to 8 and effects to 7 (or even 6).
Yeah, already did, but even then it's still trash.
5.1 channel mixing (or whatever you call it) is a problem regardless.
Front and centre-speakers are way softer than the rear-speakers.
Seen some youtuber post a temporsry fix by going into the PS5 settings and change audio channels from 5.1 to 2 speakers, but it's not the same.

They really need to hotfix it, audio is 50% of the experience in any FF, imo.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, already did, but even then it's still trash.
5.1 channel mixing (or whatever you call it) is a problem regardless.
Front and centre-speakers are way softer than the rear-speakers.
Seen some youtuber post a temporsry fix by going into the PS5 settings and change audio channels from 5.1 to 2 speakers, but it's not the same.

They really need to hotfix it, audio is 50% of the experience in any FF, imo.

I'm playing with the Pulse headsets (not the new ones, the previous model) and the speech mixing was way too low for me, the game has a lot of incidental sounds like Cloud's sword cling clanging which was too loud by comparison, the default mix is weird. Now it's somewhere to my liking.

Last edited:

Neilg

If you've JUST played something at 60fps+, 30 looks dogshit, but if it's the only game you're playing for the next 4 weeks you genuinely get used to it within one evening.

If performance mode looks similar/decent, your TV isn't big enough and you never needed a 4k set. And that's ok! If I had a 40inch TV I'd play in 60fps. That's why we have options.

And on audio - I reduced all sound volume except for dialogue to 7. Mixing was done by people in too much of a controlled environment, they were too used to hearing it a hundred times and forgot what it's like to hear a moment for the first time. Same issue Christopher Nolan has.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I'm playing with the Pulse headsets (not the new ones, the previous model) and the speech mixing was way too low for me, the game has a lot of incidental sounds like Cloud's sword cling clanging which was too loud by comparison, the default mix is weird. Now it's somewhere to my liking.
Yeah, was thinking the same. As well as moving over to Portal at the same time, since playing at performance-mode already takes away some of the IQ, so what the heck?

Or maybe I'm just going to put it on hold until they fix it, but then I'll probably have to try and dodge spoilers like the plague.

A shame really, was really looking forward to this, but first impression (still at the opening chapter) makes this a 7/10 game, imo. Mainly due to audio (I also don't really like the feel of the controls).

Performance. Performance. Performance. No contest, forever and always. I clocked nearly 10 hours yesterday with barely a hitch, rock solid 60 FPS 99% of the time. I played FFXVI in Perf Mode too and while that game was wildly inconsistent it held it where it mattered most: combat. Rebirth holds it everywhere and that's a beautiful thing, game looks gorgeous on my OLED, I'll take the "softer" look to the visuals as a trade-off 👌

buenoblue

This right here. Games like this is the reason why Samsung QLED + GMP are the best TVs for gaming.
Samsung QD OLED baby 😎☺️. I just replayed remake in performance mode and it was great. Rebirth in performance is just so bad at 65 inches. There is no detail at all.

Graphics mode looks insanely crisp on my 65 inch OLED. And with Samsung game motion plus it smooths it out nicely with no judder and still plays at sub 30ms input lag.

Rac3r

I’ll probably go for 30 fps when I start it later. Kinda pissed there’s no 40 fps/balanced mode. This was an issue on FF16 as well. Not sure why Square can’t implement it and/or why Sony isn’t supporting.

TrebleShot

Samsung QD OLED baby 😎☺️. I just replayed remake in performance mode and it was great. Rebirth in performance is just so bad at 65 inches. There is no detail at all.

Graphics mode looks insanely crisp on my 65 inch OLED. And with Samsung game motion plus it smooths it out nicely with no judder and still plays at sub 30ms input lag.
Can we have some info on this? is it the motion frame interpolation thingy that most tvs have?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am kinda happy it only has 2 modes. This or that. No vrr, unlocked fps, fps targets changing depending on 120 fps in ps5 menu and so on.
It’s simple. And it should be like this. I still think that console games should have no modes. Maybe only fps unlock in system settings for future consoles.

Anyway I am playing on 30 fps mode. It’s one of good 30 fps modes when it comes to controls and input lag. It’s responsive unlike demons souls when you switch it to 30 fps for example.
Although could very much use motion blur for camera like ff16. The one on animations looks great. And dead zones are a bit big. Better in ff16

TrebleShot

I am kinda happy it only has 2 modes. This or that. No vrr, unlocked fps, fps targets changing depending on 120 fps in ps5 menu and so on.
It’s simple. And it should be like this. I still think that console games should have no modes. Maybe only fps unlock in system settings for future consoles.

Anyway I am playing on 30 fps mode. It’s one of good 30 fps modes when it comes to controls and input lag. It’s responsive unlike demons souls when you switch it to 30 fps for example.
Although could very much use motion blur for camera like ff16. The one on animations looks great. And dead zones are a bit big. Better in ff16
Are you playing on OLED.

Added an option for OLED to be specified, could be interesting.

buenoblue

This right here. Games like this is the reason why Samsung QLED + GMP are the best TVs for gaming.

Zuzu

They really do need to patch that in as a minimum (but I have my doubts that they will). Also this game is just screaming out for a 40fps mode. It'd be so good. But alas, Square are unlikely to :lollipop_crying:

Last edited:

Bojji

I don't have any problem playing in 30 fps in VRR which takes it to atleast 45 fps.

VRR does nothing when game is locked 30fps.

Both modes have serious issues.

Performance has horrible upscaling, some form of reconstruction would be better.

Graphics don't have motion blur on camera and looks horrible on oled.

They have 2 easy fixed and one slighty more complicated:

- add motion blur in gfx mode
- add TAAU in performance mode
- add 40FPS mode that combines benefits of both

They will fix this game when I complete it, story of my life hahaha.

AT LEAST performance targets are met and game is vert smooth in performance mode, not all SE games are like that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
VRR does nothing when game is locked 30fps.

Both modes have serious issues.

Performance has horrible upscaling, some form of reconstruction would be better.

Graphics don't have motion blur on camera and looks horrible on oled.

They have 2 easy fixed and one slighty more complicated:

- add motion blur in gfx mode
- add TAAU in performance mode
- add 40FPS mode that combines benefits of both

They will fix this game when I complete it, story of my life hahaha.

AT LEAST performance targets are met and game is vert smooth in performance mode, not all SE games are like that.
Just normal taa and would be fine for performance mode. Not fsr god no. But why they decided on NN is insane.
As for 30 on oled. It’s not horrible lol. It’s fine. Just not ideal without motion blur. Far from it. It’s not 24 movie judder after all.

Bojji

Just normal taa and would be fine for performance mode. Not fsr god no. But why they decided on NN is insane.
As for 30 on oled. It’s not horrible lol. It’s fine. Just not ideal without motion blur. Far from it. It’s not 24 movie judder after all.

Yeah even normal upscaling will be ok, that's why I will play vanilla version.

30fps looks ok when you focus your eyes on close objects but once you see literal frames of motion on distant objects... It's a no, no for me.

Markio128

I’ve gone with performance mode because there is no benefit to the quality mode when using Portal. To be frank, it looks amazing on the small screen, with the only noticeable blemish being a bit of pop-in when in the open world areas. Other than that, it looks sharp and clean, and runs pretty smoothly, especially considering I’m streaming the game from PS5.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I played the demo on Quality Mode and was able to adjust to it. It did feel sluggish though.

Started the game last night and put it in Performance mode. I'm going to stick with this for now and flip between both. Performance is just so smooth in comparison.

Note my TV is a 1080p screen (still works perfectly and looks great) so that could be my saving grace.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah even normal upscaling will be ok, that's why I will play vanilla version.

30fps looks ok when you focus your eyes on close objects but once you see literal frames of motion on distant objects... It's a no, no for me.
Yesterday was tough but today I am used to 30.
The distant objects judder is really bad in panning shots at 24fps. 30 is much better. Far from ideal but makes me wish movies were 30fps not 24

TrebleShot

Yesterday was tough but today I am used to 30.
The distant objects judder is really bad in panning shots at 24fps. 30 is much better. Far from ideal but makes me wish movies were 30fps not 24
Opposite for me I’ve bounced off the 30 mode hard it was making me feel awful.

Performance mode with system forced to 1440p output works great.

Svejk

At the start of this gen, I was all about performance... I've now come to favor Graphics modes more now. Wish I could understand why. lol Just glad there's options.

th4tguy

So I’m updating from a 2008 Bravia lcd tv to a Bravia a80 oled this year.
Why are people saying 30 fps is worse on oleds?

//DEVIL//

The trick is to never see the graphics mode.

If you spoiled yourself then you are done for, wait for the PC version.

Play it in performance without looking at graphics mode as it doesn't exist.

30 fps needs to die. Period.

Bojji

So I’m updating from a 2008 Bravia lcd tv to a Bravia a80 oled this year.
Why are people saying 30 fps is worse on oleds?

Uybd8T0.jpg

Lambogenie

Tried Quality in Kalm. Panned the camera. Instant regret.

The lower visual look for a pleasant _gaming_ experience is superior. If you just want to stand still, Quality is where it's at....

Top Bottom