• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII Rebirth Graphics or Performance Mode?

Perfomance vs Graphics Mode

• Graphics, 30fps - Higher Res

Votes: 115 42.8%
  • Perfomance, 60fps - Lower Res (Terrible TAA)

Votes: 103 38.3%
  • Graphics, 30fps - Higher Res (OLED)

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Perfomance, 60fps - Lower Res (Terrible TAA) (OLED)

Votes: 25 9.3%

• Total voters

TrebleShot

Just started this on PS5 and of course the charm and characters instantly bring you in and its so enjoyable to play.

However the time old tale, which mode to play on?

I am on an LG OLED so 30fps usually feels utter dirt , but in this game it seems okay so far.

Of course the gold standard is the performance mode in terms of fluidity and smoothness.

However the resolution or TAA solution is beyond terrible.
It destroys the image quality and makes it look like sub 720p which for large screens makes it look particularly bad.

So lets find out, who is braving 30fps, who is sticking to the gold standard 60fps?

Waiting for PC? dont care.

Garibaldi

I'm having to deal with 30fps. Which is jarring until my brain adjusts as I've been playing the PC version of Remake at 120fps. Image is too soft on performance mode for me.

Missing the extra FOV ultrawide supplies too.

Last edited:
Why do you need fps when it's turn based?
hanna barbera lol GIF

If the visual quality doesn't bother you, go fps. Or maybe swap between, in a serious combat go performance, and when exploring go quality.

I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably stick with the performance mode, just like I did when I played the demo.

And yeah, I do play on a QD-OLED so 30 fps can feel especially jarring if the game doesn't have a good motion blur implementation.

Edit: A 40 fps mode with VRR would be the goldilocks for this game though.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'm waiting to see if they get the 60fps to look decently after a few patches (or at least add a 40fps mode).
Otherwise probably quality mode at some point down the line when it's on sale.

Games that make me choose between 30fps or ps3 era image quality aren't worth $70.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Performance, but with my current backlog and not being near my PS5 for another 3 months. Ill probably wait till PS5 Pro to play it lol

The Shepard

Performance + Portal is how I'm playing. With my ps5 connected to my router wired. I played the demo in both TV and portal and the updated demo looks good on the smaller screen in performance mode.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Quality mode made the game feel broken at 30fps.

Performance mode looks like shit for a modern game, it definitely feels like something out of early PS4, but man does the 60fps feel MUCH better.

Went with performance mode....but man do I wish Square would do right by their fans and not get in bed with Sony. A PC release would have helped sell truck loads more and we wouldn't have to choose between shit graphics and a functional fps.

Really enjoying the game though, queens blood is addictive and fun

Flabagast

Performance,

You really wasting the experience by going 30fps as the game relies on intricated animations and fast paced combat

omegasc

perf because 30 fps in lots of games is a slideshow in my LG C2. I don't know what to do to improve that. FF XVI was very good at 30fps. Same with Horizon 2, a slideshow at 30fps so I played it through from day1 on perf mode even with the "broken" method they were using.
I hope Square fixes the fix :p

AGRacing

perf because 30 fps in lots of games is a slideshow in my LG C2. I don't know what to do to improve that. FF XVI was very good at 30fps. Same with Horizon 2, a slideshow at 30fps so I played it through from day1 on perf mode even with the "broken" method they were using.
I hope Square fixes the fix :p
I have a C9. I see what you mean switching from 60 to 30. But if I leave it in Quality for maybe 2 minutes my eyes or brain simply adjust. I am used to 7900 XTX frame-rates on PC too. A good motion blur seems to help when used.

In this particular game… I have to do Quality mode. The distance stuff especially looks borderline wrong without.

vkbest

I love people who says 30 because the image quality, when 30fps modes have a horrible blur destroying the image quality.

Roxkis_ii

I'll wait. To see if they sort out the proformance mode. I trying to avoid having to play games in retro framerates.

Normally I go for performance but the drop in image quality for this game is so drastic in performance mode that I think it'll be graphics for me.

Usually, I'm squinting and flipping back and forth to see the differences in the picture, but it was easy to tell with this one.

I think my brain will adjust to 30 fps but I don't know if that blurriness of performance mode will ever stop annoying me.

Last edited:
I bought the game but I'm still in the middle of Cyberpunk 2077 + Phantom Liberty. Hopefully they have gotten the performance mode running better when I'll start the game because I can't stand 30 fps.

Blindy

Tried the demo last night on my OLED TV, it was night and day. Game looked really bad on graphical, as soon as I switched to performance, it got so much better. The former almost felt like a blur, it was tough to play through. I'm not even a FPS snob or anything but it was game changing switching that in the menu.

Last edited:
Performance, I'll take the hit to graphics. I just find it harder to go back to 30fps these days. I'll take smoother gameplay any day.

Tried the demo last night on my OLED TV, it was night and day. Game looked really bad on graphical, as soon as I switched to performance, it got so much better. The former almost felt like a blur, it was tough to play through. I'm not even a FPS snob or anything but it was game changing switching that in the menu.

Is this an OLED problem or something?

I have a normal LED and it is very smooth at 30fps

Top Bottom