• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

I got to Drop 6 before I discovered that the screen on the Wii U gamepad displays more information than on the TV. You can see those floating orbs around and it'll tell you if your shot will be a critical one. I'm enjoying the combat a lot more now that I'm landing critical hits left and right.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just finished the trial version and wow! Talk about atmospheric. The Prologue and first chapter are pretty subpar, but once you're in the woods, it's like the Japanese version of the Blair Witch!

There's that scene where you hear banging in the distance, and when you get to the source, you see a bunch of stick figures nailed to a tree. It's dope.

I was nervous at first, due to the mixed reviews. But the game is great, it's scary, and it's my first entry in the series I've heard so much about! I'll definitely be buying the full version.

I was going off a bit about this in the underrated 2015 games topic, but it makes me sad that I think the reason the reviews were so mixed is because Fatal Frame 5 is a Fatal Frame game. What I mean by that is, instead of modernizing itself, FF5 changes things to its own formula but doesn't really... "Modernize" itself in the direction of keeping up with industry trends and expectations. Almost all the complaints in negative reviews for the game are things that are true of other entries in the series as well. It's a sad realization, but I think the mainstream doesn't like old-school horror games anymore, even though they haven't existed in years really, and Fatal Frame never achieved the popularity of Resident Evil or Silent Hill, so it can't get away with, "Going/Sticking to the Roots," like those series can.

I think there's some mentality that all games need to be held to some gold standard and we can't go back to certain things, and while I somewhat understand I think games are big enough that we can have old-school games along with the new. I think FFV will find its audience, and maybe it is a niche, but I think many took the mixed reviews as to say this game is a bad FF game, when that's not true at all, it's a solid entry in the FF series, just critics apparently aren't that big on FF anymore it seems.

FFV is't the best entry in the series, nor the worst (though I very much enjoyed what I even consider the worst entry in the series), but it's a Fatal Frame game, that much is true, and I guess if you like FF or not is going to help/hurt your opinion on this game. All the Fatal Frame games are quite slow pace-wise, involve back-tracking and returning to areas, they are quite atmospheric (though I've never personally been too scared by them outside a few moments, but enjoy them and like their stories and find the combat fun), and they keep to a lot of old-school design philosophies. They have changed slowly over time, but are basically the only on-going horror series that hasn't "lost" itself, though apparently by not doing this people then criticize it for not changing. Can't please everyone, apparently.

Kebiinu

Banned
^Exactly!!

I'm curious to see the sales of this game. I wonder if a future entry will deviate more towards more "modern" gameplay.

Bl@de

^Exactly!!

I'm curious to see the sales of this game. I wonder if a future entry will deviate more towards more "modern" gameplay.

Fatal Frame never sold well but the numbers are pretty good for Japan (blue bar is first week, red bar represents lifetime sales, still no data on FF5). I think we will get a FF6. The question is: Will it come to the west? It took a year and a lot of hoping to get FF5.

fatal-frame-comparison.png

Another info: Its total sales in 2014 reached 46,099 units, putting it at #142 in the year's best-selling game titles.[35]

@DuskGolem
Great post. Also makes me feel sad that somehow classic survival-horror games are bad now, just because it's 2015. I can't understand reviews sometimes. Resident Evil Remaster HD gets great ratings (a remaster of a old school game), while a new entry that stays true to the franchise suddenly is bad (FF5). Already looking forward to RE2 and how that will turn out (including reviews)...

I'm still waiting to see how FF5 reviews on 4Players (the classic games all rated 78-85% there). One of the few sites that I like. But it seems like I have to just buy games on a hunch because most reviews will don't reflect my tastes of the horror genre anymore.

Semajer

I finished it last night and enjoyed it a lot. Does anyone know if there is a Spirit List in the game that shows all the disappearing ghosts? Is there a Mission mode?

Bl@de

I finished it last night and enjoyed it a lot. Does anyone know if there is a Spirit List in the game that shows all the disappearing ghosts? Is there a Mission mode?

Yes there is a ghost list. But I don't remember under what submenu right now. Maybe in the mission selection or somewhere in the menu (When you press -). You can replay missions at any time to get better ratings.

I also agree with the sentiment; Project Zero 5 is oldschool, a PS2 game releasing in 2015 and if seen in context with the series, it is an enjoyable game! I mean I understand some of the critics, but often there are things put as a negative which I personally see as a positive. E.g. reading notes about the background of the game world (which add to the slow world building and not seeing everything as a flashback cutscene really starts up imagination), revisiting areas (which leads to another sort of horror with the familiar...), the often very slow pace. I kind of agree with control issues, but I have no problems with them anymore (at drop 9 now). And I sometimes feel I would prefer less battles actually because the regular battles started to get a bit repetitive.

Overall, though, this game has been a great experience for me so far and I'm glad I got the European LE. What needs to be highlighted IMO is the amazing sound design of the game. Playing this over my surround system is a blast, the sound does a lot to enhance the pressure and atmosphere. And I am enjoying the background lore a lot, it is eerie, a bit melancholic and nostalgic, creepy at times - I did not have many moments of being totally scared, but I feel the dread and hopelessness and I enjoy that a lot more than killing dozens of zombies or being jumpscared over and over again. Really hoping for a cool finale :)

Semajer

Yes there is a ghost list. But I don't remember under what submenu right now. Maybe in the mission selection or somewhere in the menu (When you press -). You can replay missions at any time to get better ratings.

I know there is one that lists all the hostile ghosts. Previous games listed all the disappearing and hostile ghosts together. It'll be a shame if the disappearing ghosts aren't recorded somehow, finding, shooting, and reading about them was one of my favourite parts of previous games.

Bl@de

I know there is one that lists all the hostile ghosts. Previous games listed all the disappearing and hostile ghosts together. It'll be a shame if the disappearing ghosts aren't recorded somehow, finding, shooting, and reading about them was one of my favourite parts of previous games.

Hmm, I thought that is the list with disappearing spirits. But I didn't check closely because there were so many entries^^ In that case I can't help.

But make sure to post if you find out. Would like to know that too.

Semajer

Hmm, I thought that is the list with disappearing spirits. But I didn't check closely because there were so many entries^^ In that case I can't help.

But make sure to post if you find out. Would like to know that too.

I just had another look and the only Ghost List I can find contains the hostile ghosts, no disappearing ones. Couldn't see a Mission Mode either, which is a shame. The last time we got something like that was Spirit Camera.

Does anyone know what the highest rank is? I've managed S+, but previous games went up to SS.

Yeah, but it didn't work, the red signal just jittered like it was spazzing out. Got it to work after restarting the console, phew would've soured me on the game for good otherwise.

I though it was a bug for a while, then I realised you're meant to lock on to the object first with ZL, then rotate. Wasted about 50 shots rotating around un-locked-on before I finally managed to get it to show ;___;

Also, Nintendo UK Online Store has the Limited Edition back in stock if anyone is looking for it.

Bl@de

Also, Nintendo UK Online Store has the Limited Edition back in stock if anyone is looking for it.

Just as I thought. On Amazon Germany all copies are gone. Limited edition prices are now 70-120€ -.- Good thing I bought it Day 1. This edition will be 150-200€ on eBay in a short time.

OrochiJR

The LE seems to not be so rare after all, or maybe some people just cancelled after the whole censoring stuff became known. There was a picture of a Media Markt store (one of the biggest electronics store chains in Germany and Austria) where they had loads of copies available, and my preferred online retailer in Austria also has it in stock again despite claiming all the copies where out of stock due to preorders prior to release.

Anyway, buy that stuff to support the franchise guys!

I'd take one of these oldschool PS2-esque flawed gems over focus tested to death games that have absolutely no creative spark and imagination....or even ambition outside of sheer production values .

marmoka

Banned
I gived a try to the trial version this weekend. I had some shocks in some situations. It really scares you.

Even if the graphics are not much, their low quality fits well with the game's environment.

Just a stupid question: Do we always need to follow the spectres? I mean, press ZR to know which way do we have to take. I always followed the the spectre, but I saw different paths at the same time. Is there a problem if I follow one of these paths instead of the "official" one?

ohlawd

no, you don't have to follow them directly. it really depends on how non-linear the direction of the ghost is headed

like if their destination is the house in the forest, you can follow them and that'll be the shortest way or you can loop around but still end up where they're going. it's really up to you. there are always items in every nook and cranny of the area so if you feel like stocking up, take the long way. if not, follow 'em.

marmoka

Banned
no, you don't have to follow them directly. it really depends on how non-linear the direction of the ghost is headed

like if their destination is the house in the forest, you can follow them and that'll be the shortest way or you can loop around but still end up where they're going. it's really up to you. there are always items in every nook and cranny of the area so if you feel like stocking up, take the long way. if not, follow 'em.

Got it. Next time I will follow my own path, and see how the chapter goes if I do that. Thanks!!

llehuty

I'd take one of these oldschool PS2-esque flawed gems over focus tested to death games that have absolutely no creative spark and imagination....or even ambition outside of sheer production values .
Well said. I wish middle tier type of games made a comeback, the current market doesn't have space for any creative risk outside from zero budget indie games.

correojon

I just tried the demo for 10 minutes yesterday and I noticed that during cutscenes the sound wasn´t playing through the Gamepad (I was playing OffTv with headphones plugged into the Gamepad), however as soon as you regained control sound was back. Has this been mentioned already?

TheMoon

I just tried the demo for 10 minutes yesterday and I noticed that during cutscenes the sound wasn´t playing through the Gamepad (I was playing OffTv with headphones plugged in the Gamepad), however as soon as you regained control sound was back. Has this been mentioned already?

Yes, mentioned several times.

If you look at the overview table in the OP, you'll see how it says Off-TV is not supported. The box of the game even specifically mentions that you need a TV, if only for the audio.

The LE seems to not be so rare after all, or maybe some people just cancelled after the whole censoring stuff became known. There was a picture of a Media Markt store (one of the biggest electronics store chains in Germany and Austria) where they had loads of copies available, and my preferred online retailer in Austria also has it in stock again despite claiming all the copies where out of stock due to preorders prior to release.

Anyway, buy that stuff to support the franchise guys!

I was curious about this so I visited several stores in Belgium and couldn't find any copies.

-shadow-

Yeah the lack of audio in the cutscenes is a really odd choice by the developers. And even weirder that they didn't add it in the localized version. Doesn't break the game, but still.

The controls are a bit clunky but at the same time feel very Fatal Frame, so I'm not too bothered by it.

Wii U gamepad camera is amazing, and something that I was hoping would happen when I first saw the gamepad announced.

Overall, I cleared Drop 2 now and while the Prologue and Drop 1 were kinda boring Drop 2 was really good. Looking forward to playing more.

correojon

Yes, mentioned several times.

If you look at the overview table in the OP, you'll see how it says Off-TV is not supported. The box of the game even specifically mentions that you need a TV, if only for the audio.

Well that sucks, as audio is indispensable to set the mood correctly in games like this. Odd choice as it seemed perfectly playable in the GamePad, though I only played for 10 minutes and don´t know if there is something else that requires both TV+Gamepad later in the game.

bomblord1

Banned
I was deadset on buying this game but after playing the trial I'm just not sure. Nothing really hooked me and it certainly wasn't scary. Does it get better or worse?

Felt inclined to put this together, if only to warm my own heart to see a collage of lots of copies that were picked up over the launch weekend (pics were mostly twitter scrounged)

finalvxpty.jpg

Sorry America

Kebiinu

Banned
I gived a try to the trial version this weekend. I had some shocks in some situations. It really scares you.

Even if the graphics are not much, their low quality fits well with the game's environment.

Just a stupid question: Do we always need to follow the spectres? I mean, press ZR to know which way do we have to take. I always followed the the spectre, but I saw different paths at the same time. Is there a problem if I follow one of these paths instead of the "official" one?

The spectres are like the guide in Dead Space —if you've ever played the series— so it's not necessary to follow them. They're there for when you get lost.

In fact, I recommend exploring as much as you can to get film/items/and disappearing ghosts. You also fill in the map, the more you explore. So when you need to backtrack, you can see what paths you need to take to avoid the water. In this game, the more wet you are, the more susceptible you are to ghosts! I think the trial sold me on the game.

I was going off a bit about this in the underrated 2015 games topic, but it makes me sad that I think the reason the reviews were so mixed is because Fatal Frame 5 is a Fatal Frame game. What I mean by that is, instead of modernizing itself, FF5 changes things to its own formula but doesn't really... "Modernize" itself in the direction of keeping up with industry trends and expectations. Almost all the complaints in negative reviews for the game are things that are true of other entries in the series as well. It's a sad realization, but I think the mainstream doesn't like old-school horror games anymore, even though they haven't existed in years really, and Fatal Frame never achieved the popularity of Resident Evil or Silent Hill, so it can't get away with, "Going/Sticking to the Roots," like those series can.

I think there's some mentality that all games need to be held to some gold standard and we can't go back to certain things, and while I somewhat understand I think games are big enough that we can have old-school games along with the new. I think FFV will find its audience, and maybe it is a niche, but I think many took the mixed reviews as to say this game is a bad FF game, when that's not true at all, it's a solid entry in the FF series, just critics apparently aren't that big on FF anymore it seems.

FFV is't the best entry in the series, nor the worst (though I very much enjoyed what I even consider the worst entry in the series), but it's a Fatal Frame game, that much is true, and I guess if you like FF or not is going to help/hurt your opinion on this game. All the Fatal Frame games are quite slow pace-wise, involve back-tracking and returning to areas, they are quite atmospheric (though I've never personally been too scared by them outside a few moments, but enjoy them and like their stories and find the combat fun), and they keep to a lot of old-school design philosophies. They have changed slowly over time, but are basically the only on-going horror series that hasn't "lost" itself, though apparently by not doing this people then criticize it for not changing. Can't please everyone, apparently.

This argument doesn't hold up because of two things. Firstly, reviewers not long ago gave the remake of PZ2 much more favorable reviews, despite much clunkier and non-optional wiimote battle controls. The amount of reviews right now is also still somewhat comparable. Secondly, this game isn't oldschool survival horror at all. It's structured completely different and mostly just keeps the bad trademarks from the past, while introducing new significant downsides, which become more apparent the longer the game goes on. It's a good game at first and then gradually becomes worse. I have to finish the final two chapters before elaborating further though, but I don't see a big enough turnaround coming (right now it's a 12 chapter game that literally peaked at chapter 4...).

Does the game have a grainy filter?Can it be turned off?

It does have a grainy filter during certain disturbing scenes/flashbacks, but not during most of the game, no.

Well said, man, well said. Agree with the sentiments. It's a blessing that we still have Makoto Shibata still making the Fatal Frame series, for me, he's never faltered. Every game in the series is at least "very good". He's probably my favourite horror game director ever now, quite honestly. Toyama and Mikami are masters too, of course, but they went in other directions outside of horror (and I love them for that, of course, those games are amazing), Shibata just stuck to making horror and is really good at it. Both with the direction and the writing (which is the most underrated part of the series, imo).

h0tp0ck3t

Halfway (maybe? just made it
back to the cable car after saving Miu
) through drop 6 and damn shit's getting real.
Fighting two or three ghosts at a time
, getting low on quality film,
first encounter with the quintessential "run for your damn life" unkillable ghost
. Man I'm loving this

I've just tried the demo. This is the first Fatal Frame I play. Sadly, I can see this is not my cup of tea: characters and dialogue sound a bit silly to me, and controls are driving me crazy. I think I'll pass.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This argument doesn't hold up because of two things. Firstly, reviewers not long ago gave the remake of PZ2 much more favorable reviews, despite much clunkier and non-optional wiimote battle controls. The amount of reviews right now is also still somewhat comparable. Secondly, this game isn't oldschool survival horror at all. It's structured completely different and mostly just keeps the bad trademarks from the past, while introducing new significant downsides, which become more apparent the longer the game goes on. It's a good game at first and then gradually becomes worse. I have to finish the final two chapters before elaborating further though, but I don't see a big enough turnaround coming (right now it's a 12 chapter game that literally peaked at chapter 4...).

Look at the review outlets that reviewed Project Zero 2 Wii Edition, and those that reviewed Fatal Frame 5. You won't see many that crossover. It's harder to judge because of specific tastes, but Project 2 Wii got far fewer reviews than Fatal Frame 5. Fatal Frame 5 also received a variety of 9's and 8's from various outlets, and about as many 6's, 7's, and a few 5's.

The game is literally structured almost the same as Fatal Frame 3, and Fatal Frame 4, despite being a 'new' mission structure, it's just called that more now despite doing what those games pretty much did, just some presentation/replayability tweaks, the missions are basically what chapters were in those two games. Each chapter you played as a character who had a beginning and ending point, often the game would go Character 1 > Character 2 > Character 3 in order, and did so a few times, and you'd often return to areas previously visited with some new twists on them.

I beat Fatal Frame 4 literally a month ago for the first time, but I quite liked it, but I was thinking, "I can see this not going over well with the West due to its structure, and if FF5 is similar I bet many fans will love it, but not the general public', and it seems to be on the money. FF5 is very similar in a number of ways to both FF3 and FF4.

It does retain a lot of old-school philosophies, but while you may have a negative taste in your mouth and that's fine because of it, there's also many who are enjoying it in this topic and the FF community. I'm not sure if you played FF3 or FF4, but if you did and knew about this game you'd know pretty much what to expect since it follows in-line with those entries, really.

But if anything, receiving mixed reviews has always been part of Fatal Frame's thing. The reviews are actually really close to Fatal Frame 1'st in aggravated score and points, despite being liked by quite a few.

I'll share my whole opinion on the series a bit later, but I'll just say FF5 is not far-detached from the rest of the series in the slightest or is some marginally worse than the rest of the series or anything like that.

Look at the review outlets that reviewed Project Zero 2 Wii Edition, and those that reviewed Fatal Frame 5. You won't see many that crossover. It's harder to judge because of specific tastes, but Project 2 Wii got far fewer reviews than Fatal Frame 5. Fatal Frame 5 also received a variety of 9's and 8's from various outlets, and about as many 6's, 7's, and a few 5's.

The game is literally structured almost the same as Fatal Frame 3, and Fatal Frame 4, despite being a 'new' mission structure, it's just called that more now despite doing what those games pretty much did, just some presentation/replayability tweaks, the missions are basically what chapters were in those two games. Each chapter you played as a character who had a beginning and ending point, often the game would go Character 1 > Character 2 > Character 3 in order, and did so a few times, and you'd often return to areas previously visited with some new twists on them.

I beat Fatal Frame 4 literally a month ago for the first time, but I quite liked it, but I was thinking, "I can see this not going over well with the West due to its structure, and if FF5 is similar I bet many fans will love it, but not the general public', and it seems to be on the money. FF5 is very similar in a number of ways to both FF3 and FF4.

It does retain a lot of old-school philosophies, but while you may have a negative taste in your mouth and that's fine because of it, there's also many who are enjoying it in this topic and the FF community. I'm not sure if you played FF3 or FF4, but if you did and knew about this game you'd know pretty much what to expect since it follows in-line with those entries, really.

But if anything, receiving mixed reviews has always been part of Fatal Frame's thing. The reviews are actually really close to Fatal Frame 1'st in aggravated score and points, despite being liked by quite a few.

I'll share my whole opinion on the series a bit later, but I'll just say FF5 is not far-detached from the rest of the series in the slightest or is some marginally worse than the rest of the series or anything like that.

FF2R has about 30 reviews listed, FF5 about 40. The former still has more positive reviews than the latter. The trend is clear, FF2R wouldn't get from 77 to 66.
Obviously not many people played FF4, but if that is also like this, then it also isn't classic survival horror. The reviews aren't low because people supposedly can't take PS2 mechanics anymore, but because certain things are simply wrong with FF5 and that's further highlighted through the fact that - to the contrary - it actually misses lots of stuff that made old survival horror good. Backtracking in old (good) survival horror games is an entirely different thing than backtracking in this title.

Akibared

Just finished up Drop 8 the scariest one so far but
come on Ren you had ONE job!!!

I got to Drop 6 before I discovered that the screen on the Wii U gamepad displays more information than on the TV. You can see those floating orbs around and it'll tell you if your shot will be a critical one. I'm enjoying the combat a lot more now that I'm landing critical hits left and right.

Yeah I've realized that still the best way to play because of that plus you only get the camera borders on the gamepad. It's still really nice I can have the HUD on screen for spectators.

My copy finally arrived.

Opened the box to find it open with half the contents hanging out loose, with the folds on the box heavily creased. Thanks EB Games!
I even bought it more to have as a collector's item than to actually play (not into horror).

4zIk1wp.png

Just beat it, the last level left a sour taste in my mouth
if its not a character action game, I don't want to run the gauntlet of the same enemies I've faced throughout the game, especially since it got to the point where I was predicting enemy placement and the ghost hand appearances were cranked up, I really liked the subtly the game had in the earlier levels with encounters and general creepy shit but I was actively annoyed by the entire last level.
I really liked how the story wrapped up in the end though I got everyone's good(?) ending. Its the only horror related game I played around Halloween and I enjoyed it overall. Its flawed but I don't regret my time with it overall.

Fatal Frame never sold well but the numbers are pretty good for Japan (blue bar is first week, red bar represents lifetime sales, still no data on FF5). I think we will get a FF6. The question is: Will it come to the west? It took a year and a lot of hoping to get FF5.

I am worried for the future of Fatal Frame now that Iwata's gone. Anyone know how much of Iwata's influence was it that pushed for these niche titles?

Top Bottom