• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76 gets 60fps patch for PS5 and XSX.

Meicyn

Gold Member
What can other players do to you in this game? Because, I don’t mind seeing others around but not if they can murder me lol.
You can turn pacifist mode on which essentially disables PvP. Only exception is if you take a workshop which opens you up for PvP at that specific workshop if another player contests you for it.

You do not need workshops, but they are useful. Just aren’t mandatory or anything.

The game can functionally be played solo if desired.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I’m not sure, I played it on PS not too long ago. I can’t speak for game pass. I believe it does have a separate sub to get extra stuff with a monthly sub price, but the base features are nothing on top of whatever you paid for the base game. I imagine it’s like GAAS with the base price and add ons like a season pass. Similar to Battlefield 2042s set up.

Just to update, some posters on Era have clarified that you do not need to pay anything extra if you already have the game via GPU, all game updates are also free. The only thing you *can* optionally pay for is Fallout 1st which is optional, gives you some extra perks and private servers (no idea what benefits those are). So it looks like you can play this game entirely via a subscription service if you're already on it.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Just to update, some posters on Era have clarified that you do not need to pay anything extra if you already have the game via GPU, all game updates are also free. The only thing you *can* optionally pay for is Fallout 1st which is optional, gives you some extra perks and private servers (no idea what benefits those are). So it looks like you can play this game entirely via a subscription service if you're already on it.
Yep I was just reading about that as well. Looks like the monthly sub is for cosmetics, private servers, and storage space, etc. Still beyond me how they think it’s okay to charge a sub for storage space when the game clearly revolves around collecting random items to create items..idk, it felt bland, empty, and too much like an inventory management sim for my taste. Try it out and let us know what you think though.

Thought I'd mention it for the few faithful out there still playing, but today's patch for Fallout 76 now has the game running in native 60fps (and I think 4K too) on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

Previously you could only get 60fps via Game Boost on XSX but it reverted to Xbox One S mode rather than One X.
Looks like it is time for me to test Fallout 76.

Riky

$MSFT
Good news as being playing this recently with FPS boost, now I get the resolution back.
It's quite enjoyable playing single player on the title now.

To each his own but I played and enjoyed 76.... a Little more than Fallout 4 and New Vegas... I could not Fathom where the hate was coming from. I did wait until it was being heavily discounted however.... Same thing happened with Andromeda... Waited because of the hate... but once I got to it, I those games I had a loooot more fun than revered entries in those series.

I will reinstall because of this actually... I moved on to ESO because I could not tolerate the framerate and graphics of 76 after playing for months.... I played and enjoyed ESO a lot more than I ever thought I would.

I must be the only one one who likes, enjoys, and support new online Bethesda over the old one... Everything on paper and the community says I should hate... but I think it should be criminal the way people approached 76 and ESO... At least from my perspective.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

I was hoping the Fallout 4 update would drop sooner rather than later.

Come September I’ll be playing Starfield 24/7.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
To each his own but I played and enjoyed 76.... a Little more than Fallout 4 and New Vegas... I could not Fathom where the hate was coming from. I did wait until it was being heavily discounted however.... Same thing happened with Andromeda... Waited because of the hate... but once I got to it, I those games I had a loooot more fun than revered entries in those series.

I will reinstall because of this actually... I moved on to ESO because I could not tolerate the framerate and graphics of 76 after playing for months.... I played and enjoyed ESO a lot more than I ever thought I would.

I must be the only one one who likes, enjoys, and support new online Bethesda over the old one... Everything on paper and the community says I should hate... but I think it should be criminal the way people approached 76 and ESO... At least from my perspective.

Holy shit, I know that opinions are like buttholes but damn boy, this is one ugly butthole.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I was hoping the Fallout 4 update would drop sooner rather than later.

Come September I’ll be playing Starfield 24/7.

I can't wait for Fallout 4 update. I'm playing it again on PC right now. Max settings, no mods, just a very tasteful EMB and the game holds up pretty well graphically. I definitely dig the world and art style of 4 more than 76.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Bruh, I also enjoy playing a lot of terrible games but going down that road means that you also need to learn to acknowledge that they're bad. It'll be more healthy for you than getting irate that everyone else shits on them (and deservedly so).

Riky

$MSFT
Series S has the patch too, these are not proper next gen patches as the game still shows as last gen version, looks like just a 60fps patch.

Bruh, I also enjoy playing a lot of terrible games but going down that road means that you also need to learn to acknowledge that they're bad. It'll be more healthy for you than getting irate that everyone else shits on them (and deservedly so).

I'm not that Irate I think... I am struggling to see the flaws, but then again my favorite games are Remnant and Code Vein... The other day I wondered how I even gave games that are rated that low a chance... I am very glad I did.

Games feel so much more clear and playable at 60fps or more, instead of looking like a shitty dirty old flipbook.

1897_Iowa_tumblr_Corbett.gif

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm not that Irate I think... I am struggling to see the flaws, but then again my favorite games are Remnant and Code Vein... The other day I wondered how I even gave games that are rated that low a chance... I am very glad I did.
Again, I think it's okay to enjoy bad games but if you're genuinely curious about why these particular ones were so poorly received, then it's not difficult to find plenty of opinions or videos online discussing the subject. The gist of it is that both games were released in a terrible state, and they offered hollow experiences that couldn't measure up to their predecessors in terms of quality or expanding their respective franchises.

I can speak a little more about Andromeda, in particular, because I spent a lot of time playing that game. The biggest problem with that game was its narrative and characters. It essentially presented a poorly executed retelling of the original's story, but with a less interesting, badly paced, and uneventful plot. The villain was boring, the dialogue was awful, and the characters were either dull or rehashed from earlier Bioware games, except not as witty or interesting. To make matters worse, Andromeda followed the same overall structure and excessive amount of pointless fetch quests from DA: Inquisition, which made the entire experience feel tedious and repetitive. It's a shame because the combat and driving around in the Nomad were actually enjoyable. However, without a compelling story to give meaning to the gameplay, the overall experience felt hollow and meaningless. All you did was follow map markers to complete a list of arbitrary tasks that had zero impact on the game's main story which, again, wasn't even that interesting to begin with. It really needed that "oomph" in the main plot, similar to how the Reapers and Vigil elevated the otherwise ordinary plot of the original Mass Effect, or how great characterisation and lore elevated a fairly generic fantasy story of Dragon Age: Origins. Andromeda also really needed much stronger writing for its main characters to make the entire experience work. I could even forgive the grindiness and the lack of purpose in most side quests if the story and characters were more engaging. Dragon Age: Inquisition suffered from a similar issue with its side content, but because I loved the characters and was actively invested in the game's story, I didn't mind the grind.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Awesome, thanks for the news, saw it this morning but didn't have the chance to reply :)
Anyhow not sure it will make me enjoy the game but will give it another try.

adamsapple

My friend keeps telling me about this. How long ago was it announced and is it cancelled?

They announced it last year around Oct/Nov. No update on it since then and no news about it being canceled either.

This patch came out of nowhere, I have to imagine the FO4 will be coming shortly as well.

Kacho

Is the Fallout 4 patch supposed to be a Skyrim Anniversary situation where they include loads of Creation Club content?

adamsapple

Is the Fallout 4 patch supposed to be a Skyrim Anniversary situation where they include loads of Creation Club content?

Yep, no idea how much but it will have CCC and also supposedly more enhancements than just frame rate.

FALLOUT 4 IS GOING NEXT-GEN

Prepare for the future: A next-gen update is coming to Fallout 4! Coming in 2023, this free update will be available for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and Windows PC systems, including performance mode features for high frame rates, quality features for 4K resolution gameplay, bug fixes and even bonus Creation Club content!

Kacho

Yep, no idea how much but it will have CCC and also supposedly more enhancements than just frame rate.
That's hot.

With Starfield releasing so soon, mayhaps they plan to release the Fallout 4 update closer to when the show drops?

Top Bottom