• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout PS4 numbers: Over 8 million players, 48 games average per account

PresetError

Neophyte
I would love to see it throw in more mini games per season to extend its life . Rocket league did this with the arenas and game modes and that was key to its longevity

They already announced a stage from the beta joining the final game with the firts update and more new stages to come next month. They know they need to do this consistently if they want to keep people playing.

manfestival

I think the biggest appeal of this game is that it not only is great for streamers, it is just a ton of fun solo or with friends.

Picked it up and have played it a bit. It is a nice gap filler kinda game where I can play it for 30 minutes and move onto the next title. I love all of the outfits in the game. The bean people are awesome.

They need to hurry up with crossplay(I know they are fixing servers issues first) so I can play with my PC friends that I manged to talk into buying the game LOL

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would love to see it throw in more mini games per season to extend its life . Rocket league did this with the arenas and game modes and that was key to its longevity

I don't really think that's what made RL stick around for so long. It's the very simple basic gameplay combined with an astronomically high skill ceiling, giving you a drive to keep playing and improving. This game has the simple gameplay, but none of the depth.

Neolombax

To those asking if you should play this or not, if you have PS+ there really is nothing to lose. The game size is small, matches dont last that long so even if you hate it, you wouldn't have wasted too much time.

I personally like it, don't love it...yet anyways. Can't play it more than maybe 3 games in a row before I start losing interest in it. go in and be prepared for a silly game.

Whitecrow

Banned
The difference is that Rocket League has infinite depth and room to improve as a player, while Fall Guys has none. It's fun for a few rounds, but it's not gonna have any staying power IMO.
I disagree. With higher quality levels and more gimmicks, like ropes, jump pads, whetever... the possibilities are insane.

Just like Little Big Planet, give me something to move, and give me levels. It works.

quickwhips

Renewed ps+ cause trailer looked fun. Downloaded and im sorta done. It was fun for about 30 minutes. Way worth the 9.99 but meh.

Used-ID

I find it fun, but only for a few rounds/episodes at a time. There isn't any skill to the game but it reminds me of the TV show Takeshi's Castle.

It has promise though. Quite a bit of promise. Much more so than that poster Enjoy.

These type of cartoon and colorful type of games seem to do good everywhere expect Bugsnax to sell 10 million copies and also win GOY.

cormack12

Gold Member
As long as they roll out a few new stages and fine tune or drop the bullshit like Royal Fumble then it will have a long future. This game, for most people makes to fun to lose and exhilirating to win. It offers quick harmless griefing with chance based games balanced against skill based ones. For casuals this wil be like RL was for competitive gamers, and there are a lot more casuals. I can see it tailing off at the end of season 1 then season 2 to come back with a lot more content and go from there.

The discord alone has enough ideas, new levels, bug fixes and feature enhancements to keep them ticking over for about 2 years aleady.

Kev Kev

Damn! With this and Rocket League, PlayStation's new slogan should be 'We Make Franchises!'
uuuhhh maybe there something i don't know but..... i'm so confused by this reply

i played rocket league on xbox, i didn't even know it was on playstation. and sony didn't make either of these? why are we giving sony so much credit here lol

Last edited:

Portugeezer

uuuhhh maybe there something i don't know but..... i'm so confused by this reply

i played rocket league on xbox, i didn't even know it was on playstation. and sony didn't make either of these? why are we giving sony so much credit here lol
I guess he means that it launched on PS+ for free and blew up (because it was free and also happened to be a fun game)

Fall Guys would never have 8 million players in a week under normal circumstances.

Kev Kev

I guess he means that it launched on PS+ for free and blew up (because it was free and also happened to be a fun game)

Fall Guys would never have 8 million players in a week under normal circumstances.
rocket league was released on steam the same day as ps4? lol he's obviously just trying to start shit

EDIT: oh because it was free in ps+ or something? ok i gotcha.... still don't agree that sony deserves so much credit just for that. god i hate console warring douche bags

Last edited:

YoodlePro

rocket league was released on steam the same day as ps4? lol he's obviously just trying to start shit

EDIT: oh because it was free in ps+ or something? ok i gotcha.... still don't agree that sony deserves so much credit just for that. god i hate console warring douche bags
I mean it did propel it to popularity. There was no other platform for a decent amount of time where there were so many players at any one time.

The game had 1.5 million players within the first 24 hours (PS4 + Steam).

Yet this graph shows 3 million on PS4 alone.
rPzfInO.png

Seems like this tracker is not accurate at all.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The fall is gonna be fast and hard. Like overwatch.

Overwatch is still one of the most played console games today. Currently 14th most played game on XBox Live. Fall Guys is already a smash success, but if it sticks around for the next three years like Overwatch...I just don't see it happening.

That happens when your servers get overrun by millions when you only expected a few hundred thousand at most.
Let's be honest, it's not like launching a fun multiplayer game on PS+ is without precedence. One look at Rocket League's launch will tell you all you need to know, but they simply didn't prepare as well as they should have.
Hell, I just googled this up:
Mediatonic revealed in the Reddit AMA that 2015’s Rocket League was one of Fall Guys‘ inspirations, and confirmed that the vehicular soccer game’s success is part of the push for the PlayStation Plus launch.

“Really early on we’d talked about launching on PS+ being the dream because it would give us a ton of players at launch and really fill the servers up."
So yeah, they definitely expected it... just failed to handle it adequately at lauch. I haven't played much over the past few days though so I'm not sure if it's improved (I sure hope it has).

Yoboman

Let's be honest, it's not like launching a fun multiplayer game on PS+ is without precedence. One look at Rocket League's launch will tell you all you need to know, but they simply didn't prepare as well as they should have.
Hell, I just googled this up:

So yeah, they definitely expected it... just failed to handle it adequately at lauch. I haven't played much over the past few days though so I'm not sure if it's improved (I sure hope it has).
Rocket League went through this as well

I think its to be expected. You cant overinvest in servers with no guarantee you'll gave a huge success. For every Rocket League on PS+ there have been 10 games not to take off
True, but a lot of people (not just the guy I originally quoted) have the impression that Mediatonic expected "a few hundred thousand at most", when that couldn't be further from the truth (as evidenced by the article I linked previously). If they had said "they were being cautious with opening up more servers", then that's an entirely different story.

MrS

Banned
The game is good for 10 minutes then it's boring as fuck. I agree with the others who have said it doesn't have staying power.

Xanine

Neo Member
I actually think Roll Out could be salvaged if they added challenge by making the cylinders speed up over time, or making each rotating part have varying speeds.
I believe Roll Out does get faster over time, but it takes a while before it gets any notable speed.

JonnyMP3

You're on a Ps4 thread talking about a game on PS+ doing big numbers. Just like you've been informed that Rocket League also did the same thing 7 years ago.

And you bring your xBox into it???
OK Douche bag! Take a good long hard look in that mirror and remember that you hate yourself!

Top Bottom