• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex- NHL Player, Adam Johnson, 29, dies after getting his neck slashed by a skate in freak accident during game.

Xenon

It's nice to see they actually followed through with this. But I don't think he is gonna see any jail time. Also, the league had HD footage as well. And it sounds like they didn't do anything. I am totally shocked.

FeralEcho

Man here i come to this thread after not checking it out since october and Represent. is like
excited pumped up GIF by WWE

trying to defend the player.Are we sure he ain't the guy's brother or sth.He seems faaar too invested.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Every gif you share, you are showing collisions.

Homeboy touched nobody and came in with a blindside kick well above the waist.

Just stop.

I've been trying to keep an open mind, but I see no reason for the leg to be that high. Ice hockey is ice hockey, but the sport's nature doesn't invalidate the danger of a fast moving metal blade with the weight of an adult human behind it.

I don't care how engrossed in an aggressive sport you are, if I'm that player I'm not letting my leg get that high if I have any say in the matter -- which I think he did.

I'm not saying he deserves to be charged with manslaughter, and I don't know he will be. But I don't doubt that it was reckless and I believe it was an avoidable death.

Last edited:

Tams

CNN - Man released on bail following arrest on suspicion of manslaughter over death of ice hockey player Adam Johnson, police say

In an update on Wednesday, police said that the man has been released on bail as the investigation continues.

Interesting he wasn’t just released and free to go. He bailed out as investigation continues. So I guess we’ll see if criminal charges are next.

Complete supposition, but I reckon the police are being extra cautious and diligent over this because of you know why. Plus, they aren't the Met.

Still sickening to see people giving him a standing ovation.

If it helps, he was arrested for manslaughter, which means that he was either committing an unlawful act (karate kicking a guy in the chest when he has pads on) or was criminally negligent, when Johnson was killed.

If they thought he was deliberately trying the cut the guy, it would have been an arrest for murder.

FWIW I think any jury would convict for involuntary manslaughter with that video - he has just kicked him.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I doubt his intentions were to murder. But it's pretty clear he had intentions of hurting the other player.
But he miscalculated and murdered a man. Like you said, guilty as fuck.
Aye there was probably no intention but christ, the one place you don't want a skate to hit!

From the videos he sure knows what he's doing though. I'd book the bastard. I've just read he's out on bail anyway.

I guess kicking someone in the throat killing them isnt enough to keep you in these days 🤷‍♂️

I'm starting to wonder what does keep you locked up these days apart from pretend stuff.

Ogbert

If it helps, he was arrested for manslaughter, which means that he was either committing an unlawful act (karate kicking a guy in the chest when he has pads on) or was criminally negligent, when Johnson was killed.

If they thought he was deliberately trying the cut the guy, it would have been an arrest for murder.

FWIW I think any jury would convict for involuntary manslaughter with that video - he has just kicked him.
Yes, involuntarily manslaughter is a given, but that’s little more than agreeing it was an accident.

The test will be if they can prove the criminal negligence which, in sporting terms, means recklessness. They *could*, but it would be exceedingly difficult.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Personally I think it would be hard to prove there was intent in it. I think he was wild and trying to kick. Not trying to kill. Death is what happened though. What is suitable as a result. Does he get tried for involuntary manslaughter and convicted, is that a fine with restitution to the family. Is he banned from the game. What constitutes proper penance.

Tams

Pretty sure if u punch somebody in the face and he ends up dying, u are going in for murder. I don't see how this is different.

The problem with that comparison is that punching someone in the face is undoubtedly intention to cause serious harm. The intent in this though is much harder to judge.

He certainly intended to foul him, but other than that?

I reckon what will happen is that he will go to prison for a few years for manslaughter. I'd hope he never plays ice hockey again, but judging by the standing ovation the clowns gave him, he might well play again. If at that point other players don't just refuse to play with him... well then maybe the government should shut down the league.

stn

As much as it was an accident and I doubt he intended to commit murder, why was he kicking in the first place? Body checks are normal in hockey, not raising your legs. Messed up and awful for everyone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can’t punch someone in the face by accident, that’s a deliberate move. This was a freak accident. Completely different scenario

Edit: released on bail I see
He didn't lift his leg in a donkey kick fashion "by accident" either. Especially when skates are sharpened to bite into the ice to keep you from recklessly sliding around. You have to want to lift your leg like that.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Yeah, I'm most likely going to be proven right in the end, as usual. He aint gonna be charged with shit, as it was clearly a freak accident.
I'll let them do a thorough investigation though. But I dont see how anyone can prove INTENT. They cant. They wont.
But hey, Im the dumbass.

none of you know shit about fuck
kaz.png
will2.png

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
Yes, involuntarily manslaughter is a given, but that’s little more than agreeing it was an accident.

The test will be if they can prove the criminal negligence which, in sporting terms, means recklessness. They *could*, but it would be exceedingly difficult.
i hope he gets off

rkofan87

Gold Member

Yeah, I'm most likely going to be proven right in the end, as usual. He aint gonna be charged with shit, as it was clearly a freak accident.
I'll let them do a thorough investigation though. But I dont see how anyone can prove INTENT. They cant. They wont.
But hey, Im the dumbass.

none of you know shit about fuck
kaz.png
will2.png

imo you do not deserve the hate my man be strong.

DJ12

I hope no one kicks the sympathisers in the throat while ice skating if it's just an accident that can happen to anyone.

He kick him with fucking skates on. He didn't intend to kill the guy but he did.

I punch some in the face and they die is the fact I didn't mean for them to die get me off in a court of law?

Get real.

If he fell or otherwise slipped and his leg was that high, ok accident, but this was a deliberate action the twat took of his own volition and an innocent person died as a direct result.

Represent.

Lmao at you folks not being able to distinguish the difference between deliberately punching someone in a fight, and playing a hockey game and accidently kicking someone with your skate while skating at 30km/h.

Just.. Holy shit lol

Last edited:

DJ12

Lmao at you folks not being able to distinguish the difference between deliberately punching someone in a fight, and playing a hockey game and accidently kicking someone with your skate while skating at 30km/h.

Just.. Holy shit lol
Kick someone in the shins, fair play.

Neck get the fuck out of here. He kicked the man on purpose.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Just.. Holy shit lol
He deliberately lifted his skate to that height. What part of that is hard for you to understand?

Soodanim

Gold Member

What I don't think you're getting is that no one disputes physics or that legs coming off the ground is possible. Posting examples of entirely different scenarios doesn't help with this particular case, because to many people it looks like he was in full control of his actions.
skating at 30km/h.
I very much doubt the speed was anywhere near that.

Just.. Holy shit lol
Tell me you've never played hockey and don't understand the sport... Take a look at all the videos you posted and compare to the incident being discussed in this thread. There are some glaring differences, which are, in my opinion, the reason he has been arrested.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Tell me you've never played hockey and don't understand the sport... Take a look at all the videos you posted and compare to the incident being discussed in this thread. There are some glaring differences, which are, in my opinion, the reason he has been arrested.

Precisely. There literally isn't an example anywhere NEAR what Petgrave did. People weakly flailing after are a fall and a straight legged kick to the neck are so wildly different that it's intellectually dishonest to suggest they are the same or even similar.

Represent.

Tell me you've never played hockey and don't understand the sport...
I watch hockey literally every day and have watched every single Leaf game for the past 13 years. Throw anything you got at me.
Take a look at all the videos you posted and compare to the incident being discussed in this thread. There are some glaring differences, which are, in my opinion, the reason he has been arrested.
Differences yes, but they are cousins. They all have one thing in common. Missed hit + momentum + foot in the air after missed hit.

He was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and released 17 hours later. While the investigation continues. The chances of him actually getting sentenced to anything are slim to none. imo

Last edited:

dem

As someone who watches entirely too much hockey... and will be at the hockey rink every single day this week.

It was an accident that he got his foot up THAT high.... it wasn't an accident that he got his leg up. He was trying to make contact.

He won't get convicted of anything. Pretty much an impossible case to make.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member

Just.. Holy shit lol

Lmao at you not being able to tell the difference between "he kicked him on purpose" and "HE KICKED HIM IN THE THROAT INTENTIONALLY WITH THE INTENT TO MURDER."

Just...holy shit lol.

Trilobit

I've been avoiding the gif of the accident, but now I finally watched to form my own opinion. That was an incredibly unnatural motion of the left leg unless he was trying to make some sort of contact. Don't think he meant it to go that high up, but it looked very reckless. If I drive my car and make a reckless over-take and it kills another driver I can't see myself getting off scot-free, but I'm not a lawyer.

“I stabbed him on purpose and he died. I didn’t mean to kill him!”

That’s your stupid ass argument.

Now stop quoting me.
I'm just delighted that you're happy for them to go ahead and "do their investigation"... Thankyou soooo much for letting them do that.

Christ, I don't know what planet you're on buddy - I didn't realise you were the head of everything!

In reality I think you're more akin to a 'wet fart'.

Love you! 😘

simpatico

It doesn't happen only here on GAF. I've seen a ton of randos on X and FB who vehemently defend this guy. I don't get it.

Top Bottom