• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burly rugby player has a stroke after freak gym accident… wakes up gay and becomes a

Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyD said:
Your brain is wired a certain way at birth. But a stroke can affect your brain I guess?

a stroke is a lack of blood flow to the brain. thats why you often see people with motor or speech impairment. Its destroyed or damaged parts of their brain. But I'm no doctor so I'm sure Doctor-GAF will correct me.

AndyD said:
Your brain is wired a certain way at birth. But a stroke can affect your brain I guess to this extent? No one knows.

We need the magnets gif, but with brain subtitle.

Brain is too complex to say people are just wired that way. we haven't even begun to understand whats on the layer of the brain let alone understand how it works

Personality change, particularly related to sexual preference or appetite, after head trauma is not unheard of. The John Waters film A DIRTY SHAME uses it as a premise.

Al-ibn Kermit

ciD_Vain said:
This happened to my bf but without the stroke. He was straight his whole life (girlfriends his whole life) until he moved to america, then a year later he went to new york and some random guy that walked passed him caught his eye. he went up to talk to the guy because it was the first time he found a guy to be sexually attractive and from that point on he felt he was gay and no longer felt sexually attracted to women. it's been 3 years since he turned gay. i don't quite understand, but it's a curious thing indeed.

It sounds like he was bisexual or in denial.

rdrr gnr

In before some radical religious group drops gay kids on their necks hoping they'll come out of their coma straight.

TheMan said:
pretty good fodder for the anti-gay crowd.

And why is that? I would say just the opposite; it's strong evidence that the brain is wired a certain way when it comes to sexuality. It has long been established that trauma can alter brain chemistry dramatically. It doesn't imply that being gay is effectively brain damage if that's what you're getting at.

ultron87

TheMan said:
pretty good fodder for the anti-gay crowd.

How so? In fact it shows that changes in the brain outside of a person's conscious control can result in a change in sexuality. This flies almost directly in the face of "it is a choice".

TheMan

echoshifting said:
And why is that? I would say just the opposite; it's strong evidence that the brain is wired a certain way when it comes to sexuality. It has long been established that trauma can alter brain chemistry dramatically. It doesn't imply that being gay is effectively brain damage if that's what you're getting at.

It will imply exactly that to uneducated rednecks, actually.

They'll say that homosexuality= sickness.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
Mortrialus said:
Is such a thing even possible?

yesitis2.gif

TheMan said:
It will imply exactly that to uneducated rednecks, actually.

They'll say that homosexuality= sickness.

Well, that's a group that's pretty locked in its belief one way or the other, and given the body of research out there to shut that argument down, I don't think that suggestion is too troublesome. That the actual facts of the case actively work against their argument would make waving it around in the limelight a serious error in judgment.

ciD_Vain

echoshifting said:
That sounds like a much more normal case of self-discovery and sexual exploration. Not quite the same thing as your brain rewiring itself. Your boyfriend likely felt more comfortable free of certain societal pressures in his home country, and this allowed him to explore a latent interest in men.

I don't know him, and I won't pretend to...I'm just saying there's an important distinction between a pattern of normal exploration and a spontaneous change brought on by trauma. Lots of homosexuals start out believing they are heterosexual or bisexual.
Yeah i guess you're right, it is pretty different than the brain rewiring itself. Maybe it could have been due to societal pressures from his home country like you said, but i don't think that was the case with him. His best friends from his home country were gay and were always around his family so i don't think he felt much pressure to be straight. From knowing him personally, i can tell you i know he is not or was not bisexual.

I find it really interesting because when i was younger i never "thought" i was straight, i knew that i liked guys. i did question whether i was bisexual or not, but i soon realized i wasn't. for my bf though, he tells me he never questioned his sexuality. he knew he liked only women for his first 23 years of life. it wasn't until he saw the random guy that his brain immediately shifted to being gay.

Fari

Count Dookkake said:
Is it really that untrustworthy? I mean, I understand bias, but do they just make stuff up?
You should assume that everything written in the Daily Mail, or any British tabloid for that matter, is a lie until proven otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom