• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex- NHL Player, Adam Johnson, 29, dies after getting his neck slashed by a skate in freak accident during game.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
the video the guy isn't really falling down and losing control of his skates like in your photo though, he clearly aims and kicks where his head is facing in a similar manner to someone aiming to kick an apple off someone's head
Disagree. He looks like he might have interfered with the leading player, and you can see his left leg starts sliding out after his upper body appears to make contact followed closely by his right leg too. I’m not sure who he was going after, but he either clipped the leading player and lost his footing or just lost it going for hit on the victim. The former is more likely, and is also what the media is reporting (which they can fact check with the third player). I’m not sure what you mean about his head or kicking - it’s clear that he’s facing away from the victim and his left knee is in flexion when he makes contact with him.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often. Buffalo Sabres had this happen to a goalie in the 1980s, but he survived. Those neck guards sound like a good idea.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Saw this this morning. Looks intentional to me, but it looks like he was trying to trip him and maybe his leg went up too far. I don't know...
People were saying that he has a record of being a shit player, but I haven't done the homework on that one. He comes off as an asshole, however. I think he knew he did something and he skated right out of there. Also, it appears that his blade hit his neck then bounced up quickly* and went through, then over his helmet.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Saw this this morning. Looks intentional to me, but it looks like he was trying to trip him and maybe his leg went up too far. I don't know...
People were saying that he has a record of being a shit player, but I haven't done the homework on that one. He comes off as an asshole, however. I think he knew he did something and he skated right out of there. Also, it appears that his blade hit his neck then bounced up quickly* and went through, then over his helmet.
I think people are getting too in their feelings over the word "intentional."

So, not directed at you, but let's be clear.

It looks like he INTENDED to kick the guy.

We are not saying he INTENDED to kill him. The loss of life was 99.99% unintentional. The kick was 100% intentional.

In my OPINION. Those arguing he wasn't trying to kick the man need to at least accept the possibility that he was. Assuming there's zero possibility that he kicked him on purpose is silly. He was probably trying to kick him in the chest to stop his drive. That doesn't excuse him. A man died for fucks sake.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

We are not saying he INTENDED to kill him. The loss of life was 99.99% unintentional. The kick was 100% intentional.

In my OPINION. Those arguing he wasn't trying to kick the man need to at least accept the possibility that he was. Assuming there's zero possibility that he kicked him on purpose is silly. He was probably trying to kick him in the chest to stop his drive. That doesn't excuse him. A man died for fucks sake.

Yeah, I think he just wanted to play dirty and it got out of hand. He should probably face something, but Murder? Not for me to decide or the court of Fucking Public Opinion. That's why we pay taxes. So they can figure it out.

I dont think he was trying to drop kick him.. Looks more like he was trying to throw his leg out in hopes of making contact, lost some balance perhaps from incidental contact and his foot got way higher then he intended..

But that still means its a dirty AF wreckless play that has no need on the ice. Manslaughter should definitely be on the table, and dont rule it out. Investigations take time and they wont just arrest the guy right away.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You guys have never played hockey. Or watched it for that matter, Twitter is full of fools looking for controversy. No one tries to kick someone with skates on, because its common knowledge what can happen.

We've seen a player almost lose his life due to a wrist getting slashed just last year in the NHL (Evander Kane), and a couple years before that same thing (Ilya Mikehyev). These things happen and they are literally NEVER intentional. lmao

You guys showing the video in slow motion never watch sports? Slow motion 100% make everything look worse.

Anyways RIP to the guy, hopefully this fucking gets neck guards mandated eventually

Last edited:

Doczu

You guys have never played hockey. Or watched it for that matter, Twitter is full of fools looking for controversy. No one tries to kick someone with skates on, because its common knowledge what can happen.

We've seen a player almost lose his life due to a wrist getting slashed just last year in the NHL (Evander Kane), and a couple years before that same thing (Ilya Mikehyev). These things happen and they are literally NEVER intentional. lmao

You guys showing the video in slow motion never watch sports? Slow motion 100% make everything look worse.

Anyways RIP to the guy, hopefully this fucking gets neck guards mandated eventually
You should wear your tag like a badge so all can see before they hear you.

This was a dirty trick gone wrong.

violence

Watching the video has been messing my head up and thinking of life in general. I’m glad the NHL is full of professionals who are careful.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm one of those people who hasn't ever watched Ice Hockey but I just can't believe a player would try and kick above shoulder height with blades on their feet, I just can't imagine that a professional would be prepared to risk so much. If people really think that he was out to kick the guy in the face with a blade, I just can't understand what kind of world we're in. This is not a gang fight, it's two professional sports teams.

Whatever's going on, a sad outcome for all.

Represent.

There’s a reason it’s only twitter nerds and people who have never watched a second of the sport who think it’s on purpose.

Yes, a man who has zero history with the deceased player decided to kick him in his throat with skates on. What a stupid take.

It’s the fastest sport on earth. You’re playing with a rubber puck on ice with knives of your feet. It’s a physical sport. Shit happens. After a big hit, sometimes your feet fly in the air.

Literally not even his family is saying it’s intentional. Literally only people who don’t know shit about the sport and angry twitter nerds who seek controversy at every turn. If it was intentional, his family would be asking for justice. But as usual it’s just a loud as shit minority blabbing their stupid mouths off.

But ok. Let’s go with he purposely hit the man in the neck with skates on for no reason and ruined his life for no nothing.

Last edited:

Doczu

There’s a reason it’s only twitter nerds and people who have never watched a second of the sport who think it’s on purpose.

Yes, a man who has zero history with the deceased player decided to kick him in his throat with skates on. What a stupid take.

It’s the fastest sport on earth. You’re playing with a rubber puck on ice with knives of your feet. It’s a physical sport. Shit happens.

Literally not even his family is saying it’s intentional. Literally only people who don’t know shit about the sport and angry twitter nerds who seek controversy at every turn. If it was intentional, his family would be asking for justice. But as usual it’s just a loud as shit minority blabbing their stupid mouths off.

But ok. Let’s go with he purposely hit the man in the neck with skates on for no reason and ruined his life for no nothing.
I try to be nice, understaning and courteous to others online, but you should work on your reading comprehension. It's that oryou're just playing dumb here.

I've bolded the statements you should cross examine with the posts in this thread and anything you find on twitter. Take out the blatantly emotional, over-reactive types and you'll find whats missing: "un-"

You have to know you have weapons on your feet though. To me, this would be like saying yea I had a knife and I threw a cross punch at his throat, I intended to punch him, not slice his throat open and kill him.
The vid looks absolutely intentional, what could possibly be going through your head to do that with blades on.

Tams

It’s the fastest sport on earth. You’re playing with a rubber puck on ice with knives of your feet. It’s a physical sport. Shit happens. After a big hit, sometimes your feet fly in the air.

Bruh, he didn't hit anyone before hitting Johnson.

And Matt Petgrave has the worst record for penalties and abuse in the league by a country mile.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
You have to know you have weapons on your feet though. To me, this would be like saying yea I had a knife and I threw a cross punch at his throat, I intended to punch him, not slice his throat open and kill him.
The vid looks absolutely intentional, what could possibly be going through your head to do that with blades on.
Yea, totally agree. I'm sure he didn't intend to do anything other than kick him or trip him up but it doesn't matter. You run a red light and tbone someone you're culpable. You did something reckless wether you meant to hurt anyone or not.

Agreed with this kid... The comment above - it looks bad in real-time. Go hit the ice and stop pretending to be a professional ice-hockey player you massive WHOPPER!

BossLackey

Gold Member

All I know is, I watched it literally 50 times in a row. Half of which in slow motion. And I simply cannot un-see his intent.

He sees Adam, lines up with him, accelerates, uses the other player as a visual screen, and piston kicks him. His leg did not SWING as if he were slipping. He kicked it directly OUT from his body HARD.

When you are slipping, your movement is not entirely lateral to the playing surface. It's largely parabolic. This was an almost completely lateral piston kick.

I would bet ever cent I have that he intended to kick him. Nobody is saying he meant to kill him (which I see a ton of people conflating online). But this was a dirty play gone wrong.

As for your anecdotal "well I watch hockey" comment, I've read about 100 messages on various platforms that believe it was intentional saying they've been playing for X years and/or watching for X years and they're positive it's intentional (I arrived at my conclusion well before seeing these and they have zero bearing on my opinion). So that's entirely moot.

I understand biomechanics. I know physics as it pertains to the human body. I understand momentum. I've watched a decent amount of hockey. Nothing anybody says will ever convince me that this wasn't in an intentional kick to the mid-body that went too high.

Last edited:
All I know is, I watched it literally 50 times in a row. Half of which in slow motion. And I simply cannot un-see his intent.

He sees Adam, lines up with him, accelerates, uses the other player as a visual screen, and piston kicks him. His leg did not SWING as if he were slipping. He kicked it directly OUT from his body HARD.

When you are slipping, your movement is not entirely lateral to the playing surface. It's largely parabolic. This was an almost completely lateral piston kick.

I would bet ever cent I have that he intended to kick him. Nobody is saying he meant to kill him (which I see a ton of people conflating online). But this was a dirty play gone wrong.

As for your anecdotal "well I watch hockey" comment, I've read about 100 messages on various platforms that believe it was intentional saying they've been playing for X years and/or watching for X years and they're positive it's intentional (I arrived at my conclusion well before seeing these and they have zero bearing on my opinion). So that's entirely moot.

I understand biomechanics. I know physics as it pertains to the human body. I understand momentum. I've watched a decent amount of hockey. Nothing anybody says will ever convince me that this wasn't in an intentional kick to the mid-body that went too high.
BINGO!

Wayne Gretzky and his comments above need to 'cool' down. 😂😂

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That’s the problem with hockey first your teeth than your neck a simple solution is better equipment but that ticks off the try hard asses.

TurboGrafx16

Neo Member
My honest first impression was that it was “intentional” as in it was a dirty play gone tragically wrong. If the dirty play went as intended and nobody was seriously injured or died I honestly think he would’ve have gotten a foul at minimum if the game continued on.

The question then becomes if dirty plays that would otherwise result in fouls but end up killing someone, is that criminal, is it manslaughter. That’s for the authorities to decide.

However seeing the .gif posted in this thread of what appears could be a double kick, it really makes me question the above. If it really was a double kick that seems FAR more intentional and reckless then I ever initially thought.

U9ync8h.gif

Represent.

He goes for a body check at full speed, loses balance, and his leg gets raised in the air as he loses balance. Thinking he intentially fucking drop kicks a guy with skates on is just plain stupid. Adam Johnsons family isnt even calling it intentional. So why are you? W WhatDidHeSay? you too.

Here are gifs of players legs getting raised after making a big hit.

Here: If the victim in white falls forward, there goes his throat.

giphy.gif

Did this guy try to kick this man after he got hit? His leg comes up way high

9rte.gif

Literally the same exact thing here. No throat in the way though. Because the victim fell backwards. Orlov raises his foot though.

Player gets hit into the bench. Feet flying in the air. Same result could have happened. No throat in the way

byfuglien-hit.gif

Oh look. Another hit. Another foot in the air. No throat in the way.
de126ed0a26402479f9d094d423f2959.gif

Oh look. Another example. Another hit. Another raised foot. No throat in the way.

200.gif

I could do this for fucking hours,. You get the point. He hit the man. His foot went in the air. Johnson was in the wrong place. He did not intentionally kick the man in the goddamn throat. These people all do the exact same thing, thats why this case is a freak accident. The league isnt even suspending the player. LMAO. If it was intentional he would be banned for life. Come on. You guys with this weak ass argument are ridiculous.

Notice how the players doing the hitting have their leg kick up after literally every hit. What made this a FREAK accident is Petgraves leg hit a throat, and his leg went a higher than usual. He did not fucking drop kick the man with skates on on purpose. Nor was that his intent. Thats such a stupid and wreckless take.

These hits happen in literally game on every shift. This one had a bad outcome.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Whats stupid and reckless is to play a game on ice with 2 blades under you feet that can slam into necks that can kill players.

Freak accident my ass, the sport is unsafe as fuck.

Represent.

9rte.gif

The same thing could have easily happened here. It didnt. Which makes it a freak accident.

Sometimes: When you get hit, your legs swing up.

Sometimes: When you HIT, your legs swing up.

Its an unbroken rule to try to keep your fucking legs down. But it doesn't happen all the time. Players lose balance. They're skating on ice at 32km/h

Could he have been less wreckless? Sure. But he did not seek out the guys fucking neck and say yea im gonna kick him.

Fuck off with that take

BossLackey

Gold Member
He goes for a body check at full speed, loses balance, and his leg gets raised in the air as he loses balance. Thinking he intentially fucking drop kicks a guy with skates on is just plain stupid. Adam Johnsons family isnt even calling it intentional. So why are you? W WhatDidHeSay? you too.

giphy.gif

9rte.gif

Literally the same exact thing here. No throat in the way though. Because the victim fell backwards. Orlov raises his foot though.

Player gets hit into the bench. Feet flying in the air. Same result could have happened. No throat in the way

byfuglien-hit.gif

Oh look. Another example. Another hit. Another raised foot. No throat in the way.

200.gif

I could do this for fucking hours,. You get the point. He hit the man. His foot went in the air. Johnson was in the wrong place. He did not intentionally kick the man in the goddamn throat. These people all do the exact same thing, thats why this case is a freak accident. The league isnt even suspending the player. LMAO. If it was intentional he would be banned for life. Come on. You guys with this weak ass argument are ridiculous.

Notice how the players doing the hitting have their leg kick up after literally every hit. What made this a FREAK accident is Petgraves leg hit a throat, and his leg went a higher than usual. He did not fucking drop kick the man with skates on on purpose. Nor was that his intent. Thats such a stupid and wreckless take.

Great examples of my EXACT POINT.

Literally every one of these shows them swinging their legs. That is NOT what Petgrave did.

Limp legs, out of control, bent at the knees, parabolic motion of the skates/feet.

Petgrave had straight legs, far apart, one on the ice, force moving linearly from hip to foot in a piston action.

That simply isn't even CLOSE to what he did.

Represent.

Great examples of my EXACT POINT.

Literally every one of these shows them swinging their legs. That is NOT what Petgrave did.

Limp legs, out of control, bent at the knees, parabolic motion of the skates/feet.

Petgrave had straight legs, far apart, one on the ice, force moving linearly from hip to foot in a piston action.

That simply isn't even CLOSE to what he did.
Again. Watch the sport. If it was in anyway intentional. His teammates would have been ALL OVER him in seconds.

THIS is what an intentional kick looks like

Look at the reactions. Instant.

You think if a player kicked someone on purpose, he wouldnt be swamred by the opposing team? That is a BIG thing in hockey. Player gets hit? Other team comes into protect.

And stop ignoring my point about not even the family not saying it was intentional.

Also stop ignoring my point of the player not even being suspended for a game.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member

Here: If the victim in white falls forward, there goes his throat.

giphy.gif

9rte.gif

byfuglien-hit.gif

200.gif

Can't take you seriously. None of your hits look like the one that killed this man. None of them. You're delusional. Who cares what Adam Johnson's family is saying? I bet if they were saying it was intentional you'd be in here saying "but they don't play hockey derp."

Represent.

Who cares what Adam Johnson's family is saying?
What a stupid post. Lol.

Yeah, lets take the comments of angry twitter mob more seriously that his own family.

And literally all of those gifs I posted show a kicking motion that didnt result in injury. Thats the point. You are blind and slow. Watch the sport. Shit happens.

UnravelKatharsis UnravelKatharsis Smart guy, if it was intentional, why hasn't he even been suspended for a game?

Lets hear your smart guy logic.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
What a stupid post. Lol.

Yeah, lets take the comments of angry twitter mob more seriously that his own family.

And literally all of those gifs I posted show a kicking motion that didnt result in injury. Thats the point. You are blind and slow. Watch the sport. Shit happens.

UnravelKatharsis UnravelKatharsis Smart guy, if it was intentional, why hasn't he even been suspended for a game?

Lets hear your smart guy logic.
Logic is useless with you. You keep equating "he kicked him intentionally" to "he kicked him in the throat with the intent to murder him."

And good job taking my words out of context on purpose.

If Nicole Brown Simpsons parents said "we don't think OJ killed her" is the police supposed to give a shit? Oh, her parents think he's innocent, call off the investigation guys.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think once you see it one way it's hard to see it another.

It looks a lot to me like the guy piled into the other player. All his momentum is going toward the other player, he collides and his left foot is way over to his right hand side, and he will fall. He goes to put his left foot ahead of himself to bear the weight, it gets caught on the other guys skate.

He leans away from the momentum to stop himself falling and puts his foot up high to counterbalance himself, and that's when the connection occurs.

In the zoomed in slowmo versions of this, you don't get that sense of momentum and even can miss that his left foot appears to catch on the other guy's skate.

I assume there's no other footage of the incident to give a clearer representation of what's happening, it's difficult to make anything out in the blurry videos at this angle, but the second "kick" I'm not even convinced it's not the guy's gloved hand coming up that with the movement, the blur and the lack of frames to actually look at means it's open for interpretation, and like I say, I think once you perceive it one way it's hard to see it another.

Last edited:

Represent.

Logic is useless with you. You keep equating "he kicked him intentionally" to "he kicked him in the throat with the intent to murder him."
If you kick someone INTENTIONALLY with SKATES ON.. Then your INTENT is to INJURE that player. Period. That's what you and the other clowns are implying he did.
And good job taking my words out of context on purpose.

If Nicole Brown Simpsons parents said "we don't think OJ killed her" is the police supposed to give a shit? Oh, her parents think he's innocent, call off the investigation guys.
Why hasn't he been suspended by the league? Stop ignoring the question.

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I think once you see it one way it's hard to see it another.

Well, let's take your argument into consideration for just a moment. Imagine you're running at full speed and you lose your balance mid left leg stride, do you have time, unplanned, to lean all the way on your right leg and kick your left leg out? Or do you simply fall over to the left with all your momentum already committed to the stride? I'm trying to see it your way but if I think about it it just doesn't add up.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
If you kick someone INTENTIONALLY with SKATES ON.. Then your INTENT is to INJURE that player. Period. That's what you and the other clowns are implying he did.

Why hasn't he been suspended by the league? Stop ignoring the question.
You absolute dunce. We're giving him the benefit of the doubt. If you want to argue your stupid opinion then fine I guess he intended to injure him. Thanks for seeing the light finally. I'm not ignoring your questions they're just brainless and disingenuous. I can't speak for the league. I'm sure a decision will be made soon enough. What will you say then when it doesn't align with you "professional" opinion?

I know what ill say if it doesn't align with mine. Cest la vie. I'm done with you homie.

Represent.

You absolute dunce. We're giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Cut the crap. You're saying he kicked someone with skates on intentionally. That implies he intended to injure a player. Period. Now you wanna soften your words. Miss me with that shit.
If you want to argue your stupid opinion then fine I guess he intended to injure him. Thanks for seeing the light finally.
The only stupid opinion here is yours. Forget what the league thinks. Forget what the family thinks. Forget countless other examples that happen literally on a nightly basis. You are right. He kicked him on purpose with skates on. Lol

I'm not ignoring your questions they're just brainless and disingenuous.

Its a genuine question and one in which the answer makes your argument look retarded.

If he did it intentionally, he would be suspended indefinitely - and then later on banned after conclusive evidence was provided. He hasn't even been suspended a single day while they do investigations.

I can't speak for the league. I'm sure a decision will be made soon enough.
He would be suspended indefinitely until a "decision" is made. He wouldnt just be able to play while they work on making a decision. Lol. You know absolutely nothing about this shit, huh?

You should retire from this thread. You're clueless.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well, let's take your argument into consideration for just a moment. Imagine you're running at full speed and you lose your balance mid left leg stride, do you have time, unplanned, to lean all the way on your right leg and kick your left leg out? Or do you simply fall over to the left with all your momentum already committed to the stride? I'm trying to see it your way but if I think about it it just doesn't add up.

I don't think that's really what happens though, part of why this is so easy to come up with different opinions is that within literally 1 second of the video so much happens and it involves 3 people, all moving very quickly.

I also think that these guys are used to being on ice in a way that hardly anyone will be able to understand, and are incredibly used to being thrown around, putting maximum effort into propelling themselves forward and balancing on skates and on ice where the rules of momentum are going to be really different So, there are a number of ways that running isn't really the same thing. Lose your footing while running and you have zero chance of recovering it in the same way because your other foot will not glide along the ground, there'll be friction and will not stay under you, you'll fall and come to a complete stop.

I just typed up a long, description of my perception of the event, but watching the footage repeatedly through that process, I realised that the puck wasn't at all where I thought it was, and I didn't realise the injured player was in control of it. That makes things a lot muddier. When I viewed it originally, I wasn't sure if red shirt knew where the injured player was but now I think it quite likely he knew where he was and that he was actually trying to get close to him, it looks like he's been blocked by white shirt, who I thought was where he was trying to get to originally and after being blocked was actually trying to lash out at his original target, the injured player.

I think that's probably what I think is the most likely sequence of events now.

Yes, it can be difficult to fully judge intent, but when I watch the clip, I see no display of motion and physics that would indicate the trajectory of the skater and his legs/feet that could have resulted from external influences. He seems to purposefully move towards the player that died, and even more damning is the clear second kick of the leg/skate reinforcing the idea of original intent - in terms of his intent to flail wildly towards the body of the deceased player. Whether he thought of the possible outcome or shudder, even *hoped* for such an outcome is something only he knows. It's something he'll have to live with, but if he is the type of psychopath who would intentionally and forcefully raise a sharp blade towards the head/face/neck of another, maybe he's not bothered at all. Such a shame.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
The only stupid opinion here is yours. Forget what the league thinks. Forget what the family thinks. Forget countless other examples that happen literally on a nightly basis. You are right. He

It's ironic how many times you've said the exact right words in this thread just directed at people other than yourself.

I was at a Halloween party a few years back and there was a bonfire. After one particularly large flare up of the fire, this woman says "if it flares any more its going to catch the yard on fire. I would know, I'm a meteorologist." To this day my wife and I still quote her brainless comment to make fun of her.

That's you. You're the "meteorologist."

Almost everyone in here is willing to accept that it was an accident. Reckless, but an accident. But you? You're unique. You believe in the impossible. That there's not even the slightest chance that this incident was in ANY way intentional. Even if not in the manner that it happened. You're special.

Represent.

Almost everyone in here is willing to accept that it was an accident. Reckless, but an accident.
Thats literally my argument, smart guy - It was an accident. You? Intentional. Murder. Manslaughter at minimum.

That there's not even the slightest chance that this incident was in ANY way intentional. Even if not in the manner that it happened. You're special.
Correct. Because its fucking stupid to think this was intentional. Period. I've explained why. I've shown countless examples of the same thing happening with a different result. You ignore it. Thats a you issue.

If I'm the meteorologist, you're the the genius who puts an electrical fire out with water.

You're embarrassing yourself in this thread

A bunch of blind people laughing at the man with one eye.

Delt31

Represent. Represent.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You also clearly have never played ice hockey (in real life). Please stop talking, as someone who has actually played ice hockey forever.

I'm not saying this guy intended to kill someone however he was going for a dirty dirty play and it got out of hand. That previous video of him tripping the other player, is another dirty play. This guy should be banned from hockey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom