• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store Records 61 Million Monthly Active Users During "The Vault" Free Game Campaign

llien

Havas Media the agency hired to manage the Epic Games Store recent game giveaway campaign "The Vault", which ran from May 14th through June 18th has revealed some new statistics on the success of the program. The Vault campaign focused on 21 key markets where several major titles were given away for free such as Grand Theft Auto V, Civilization VI, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, and Ark: Survival Evolved.

The campaign provided a major boost to the Epic Games Store setting many new user milestones, including average Peak Concurrent Users (PCCU) on PC of 13 million and Monthly Active Users (MAU) on PC of over 61 million. This brings the store much closer to Steam which had 95 million monthly active players in 2019 and has 14 million to 20 million peak concurrent players each day.

"Since launching the Epic Games Store, we've always wanted to create a huge event around our very successful Free Games weekly program to give something awesome to players worldwide, and we decided to go big. We invested in acquiring the rights to give four of the biggest games in the world away free. The results have exceeded our expectations," said Steve Allison, GM Epic Games Store. "In 2020, we've been growing at a historic rate. Epic Games Store partners have a huge audience of players to sell their games to and receive 88% of the revenue, instead of only 70% as on other platforms."

TPU

I wish I knew who counts as an "active user".

thief183

As I said before, I have a Computer repair shop, and 90% of the kids that bring their Pc here have only the Epic Store installed with around 20 games bought or in library.

Fortnight is a beast with youngster, and Steam is going to need a hit to keep being N.1 in the future, imho

Kuranghi

As I said before, I have a Computer repair shop, and 90% of the kids that bring their Pc here have only the Epic Store installed with around 20 games bought or in library.

Fortnight is a beast with youngster, and Steam is going to need a hit to keep being N.1 in the future, imho

Maybe it will die down when Fortnite becomes less popular, I don't know if it has the staying power of Minecraft.

thief183

Maybe it will die down when Fortnite becomes less popular, I don't know if it has the staying power of Minecraft.

Fortnight will die, but the ppl who uses the store will remain, I think it will become the new Steam for younger ppl.

I also think when the next big store will come up there will be another "We already have Epic Store!! We don't need another Store!!"

And then again it will happen again.

Kuranghi

Every game I've bought on EGS has been in a deep discount, wait, actually I paid full price for Wattam lol.

I view the store as somewhere I get free games occasionally and deep discounts on mostly older stuff with occasionally amazing deals on very recent stuff but I usually already have those games on steam. Example: £13.99 for Control and £4.19 for Journey to the Savage Planet.

I get my steam keys from grey key sites if I can, (unless its a dev where I want them to get as much money as possible) and if they aren't available there I buy direct on steam, as long as its not over ~£35. In that case I just don't buy it and wait for a sale/cheaper keys. I still haven't played Doom Eternal because its £50 on steam, its £26 on grey key sites, which is a very very reasonable price (I'd pay £35 for it on steam) but thats for that Bethesda Launcher and I don't want just one game on another service, I'd forget I owned it eventually.

EGS doesn't do any sort of bulk key selling or regional pricing so they don't really get a lot of money from me 🤷‍♂️ their loss.

lukilladog

How many people actually are in that 90% group and how many of those games are freebies?.

thief183

How many people actually are in that 90% group and how many of those games are freebies?.
Let's say, I have around 50 kids that comes on a regular base, only 7/8 of them have Steam installed, the majority don't even know what it is.

As for the games I don't know, I've noticed a lot of famous free ones. Don't know for sure.

Fact is that if they will buy something it will be there

GHG

Let's say, I have around 50 kids that comes on a regular base, only 7/8 of them have Steam installed, the majority don't even know what it is.

As for the games I don't know, I've noticed a lot of famous free ones. Don't know for sure.

Fact is that if they will buy something it will be there

Well I'm at least thankful these kids are also getting exposed to some real games other than Fortnite.

I got (among some other titles) Kingdom Come Deliverance for free on the epic game store and recently bought the DLC for a tenner. I felt a little guilty for playing the game for 40 hours without paying a cent for it. I know Warhorse studios probably got paid for the giveaway of their game but still.

Client is still absolutely bare bones compared to steam though.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
All the free games make me feel less bad about giving my son money to buy Fortnite crap. So in that sense it's working. I actually played some Borderlands 3 last night and enjoyed it.

Birdo

Banned
tenor.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Epic bad!

Fortnite bad! Fortnite fad! Fortnite a bad fad!

Free games bad!

Competition bad!

More money going to developers bad!

Epic bad!!!

Last edited:

Stuart360

And Steam gets about 180mil users monthly, and that was reported years ago, its probably higher now. No bribes involved as well.

Top Bottom