• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodWinked

Iol this fuckin guy’s skin is so paper thin I’m surprised he goes near water

Ben Collins is like the one guy that's pretty much known as the guy that spreads misinformation and a known liar. He's been suspended by nbc and even got into a fight with Nate Silver of fivethirtyeight

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Iol this fuckin guy’s skin is so paper thin I’m surprised he goes near water

No one is impervious to the addictive nature of social media it seems.

Ben Collins is like the one guy that's pretty much known as the guy that spreads misinformation and a known liar. He's been suspended by nbc and even got into a fight with Nate Silver of fivethirtyeight
He's not the author of the story, he's just sharing. Full story is here:

It's by the same 2 people that have been covering the Twitter story since Musk took over and probably before then too. They both are clearly anti-Musk. Their sourcing is always frustrating. They either won't provide a number of sources or it comes across as one disgruntled employee.

However, in reading the article it seems that Ben is being a bit selective in what he's sharing with his followers. Take a look at this quote:
But there were also legitimate technical reasons the CEO’s tweets weren’t performing. Twitter’s system has historically promoted tweets from users whose posts perform better to both followers and non-followers in the For You Tab; Musk’s tweets should have fit that model but showed up less only about half the time that some engineers thought they should, according to some internal estimates.

That's not to say the article is in defense of Musk. The very next lines go back to dunking on him:
By Monday afternoon, “the problem” had been “fixed.” Twitter deployed code to automatically “greenlight” all of Musk’s tweets, meaning his tweets will bypass Twitter’s filters designed to show people the best content possible. The algorithm now artificially boosted Musk’s tweets by a factor of 1,000 – a constant score that ensured his tweets rank higher than anyone else’s in the feed.

In general, I do think these articles are worth reading when something new or relevant comes out, but as always, it's important use critical thinking. If the number of sources is not listed, it's a bit suspicious. If a screenshot could be provided to the reader but is not... well, you get the idea.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

It’s also being reported by Yahoo (via Bloomberg):

Let’s just say it lines up with everything else he’s been doing while there…🤷‍♀️

Also lines up anecdotally with him all the sudden all over everyone’s For You feeds.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

oM6bARG.png

Muskva is recognizing his rapidly sinking influence with Twitter. Unsurprising that he turned to deceit. It will make it look like it's keeping him from spiraling down the drain on twitter for awhile if no one cares to look to close or bring it up. Super green!

VN1X

Banned
How did you know I clapped?
Sorry, wasn't meant to be a personal call out or anything btw but this idolization of a multi-billionaire by the masses is mind boggling to me. Dude is best buddies with the worst of 'em.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Sorry, wasn't meant to be a personal call out or anything btw but this idolization of a multi-billionaire by the masses is mind boggling to me. Dude is best buddies with the worst of 'em.
Him snacking with Rupert Murdoch at the Super Bowl made me nearly choke on my beer I was laughing so hard. He has gone completely mask off at this point.

Him snacking with Rupert Murdoch at the Super Bowl made me nearly choke on my beer I was laughing so hard. He has gone completely mask off at this point.

He needs all the help he can in trying to run a successful media platform. Or he's hoping Murdoch has forgotten about MySpace and wants to buy a fab social network for $44 billion.

BlackTron

Oh no, the President of the United States got more views than me, EMERGENCY MEETING CHANGE THE ALGORITHM

Are you fucking kidding me? This is below clown level.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Falling subscriptions are probably better for overall engagement on the platform, at least. Because everyone knows to insta-block anyone with that blue check mark, as they're very likely to be unpleasant, and/or one of those insufferable members of the minuscule group locked in an intense parasocial relationship with Musk (well, I guess I'm being redundant here).

And I bet the reason so many users retain their checks to be counted for weeks to months after cancelling is because the engineers responsible are afraid of being fired for presenting reality to Space Karen.

Last edited:

Sonik

That makes sense. There's always a bit of truth in these hit piece articles, wrapped up alongside all the bad-faith and hyperbole.

The gargantuan news site known as platformer dot news might have been talking out of its ass????

The same site has another fair and balanced "news story" called Inside the Twitter Meltdown

Btw this story has been copy pasted by """""""""""""journalists"""""""""""""" all over the web, gee, I wonder why no one trust them anymore.

Last edited:
100% of useful idiots unquestioningly trust and repost polls that favour their bias.
Are you suggesting that Gallup polls are rigged? I think there's only two ways to question poll results, otherwise you ironically enough end up with conspiracy theory. The first is to question the wording of the question asked, which is provided by the poll results themselves in this situation. The second is to question the who was being asked and in what context. But that sort of intentional manipulation doesn't seem like it would be an issue with a Gallup poll, unless you're suggesting otherwise.

Gallup not reputable enough for you? How about all the other polls that show trust in journalism to be at some of the lowest levels in recorded US history?

RAÏSanÏa

Journalists are protecting the status quo and poll companies are owned by the same rich fucks that own the media (sometimes they're the same company). If the polls are rigged they're certainly rigged in favor of journalists.
It's not that journalists are ideally protecting the status quo so much as the advanced civilizations they exist in and protecting journalistic standards of verification to have reality support their work. There needs to be legal oversight and ways of checking things to continually scrub corruption. The polls while condemning of opinions of those sources don't indicate where trust in twitter was before or now.
The trust that was developed with Twitter before the takeover, was erased by Musk's changes. There was an opportunity to make small changes and keep the established trust and work with it, but the scramble since his takeover burned a lot of trust as well as bridges that won't be easily, if ever, repaired. Twitter isn't completely useless for checking journalism, there's still legacy accounts that people trust, and for clips of events.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Are you suggesting that Gallup polls are rigged? I think there's only two ways to question poll results, otherwise you ironically enough end up with conspiracy theory. The first is to question the wording of the question asked, which is provided by the poll results themselves in this situation. The second is to question the who was being asked and in what context. But that sort of intentional manipulation doesn't seem like it would be an issue with a Gallup poll, unless you're suggesting otherwise.

Gallup not reputable enough for you? How about all the other polls that show trust in journalism to be at some of the lowest levels in recorded US history?
It's not about direct manipulation during poll taking but the use of results. It doesn't indicate any trust in twitter. It points to an opportunity to build trust, one that twitter for years was learning and slowly taking advantage of, and there was an opportunity to build upon the trust people had for twitter and its system, however, while changing things dramatically and chaotically the last few months, that opportunity was squandered.

And while I'm here, yes, I do think putting 2FA behind a paid service was a bad idea. Maybe not for Twitter, but certainly for the user experience. If it's an issue where it isn't secure, it shouldn't even be an option then.

It is pretty funny how Facebook is now going to have a paid verified feature, though.

Bragr

Banned
26% gullible individuals is still kinda high.
What about the 74% of others who take news from blog sites?

Look at all the people in here who jump at Musk because of something they see on Twitter that is obvious bullshit.

People have no idea how to curate news, whatever they are following.

thefool

What about the 74% of others who take news from blog sites?

Look at all the people in here who jump at Musk because of something they see on Twitter that is obvious bullshit.

People have no idea how to curate news, whatever they are following.

While that is, most likely, a very relevant subject, that's not the question in the poll. The media eroded away its credibility and, a vast majority, recognizes its diminishing role and its misdealing actions. If the current alternative is not particularly credible (or positive, to use the poll nomenclature), it doesn't take away from the fundamental issue that is the discredit of news organizations.

Bragr

Banned
While that is, most likely, a very relevant subject, that's not the question in the poll. The media eroded away its credibility and, a vast majority, recognizes its diminishing role and its misdealing actions. If the current alternative is not particularly credible (or positive, to use the poll nomenclature), it doesn't take away from the fundamental issue that is the discredit of news organizations.
Well, the flipside to that is that the nature of the internet and the increase in information sources was always gonna destroy traditional news outlets no matter what. Since the nature of people is to piecemeal together information to what suits their bias, the entire information sphere will get bombarded with distrust, because when they hear something they agree with from one source, and see the big news outlets say anything else, they will go against the big outlets, even if there is just one thing they disagree with.

People absolutely love to have big targets "news is corrupt, politicians are always out for themselves, corporations are evil".

I think if they polled differently, they would find that all news sources as distrusted, not just the big famous ones.

Elon Musk is such a pussy lol. He wants freedom of speech until you say something against him lol
People keep repeating this, yet there are loads of people on Twitter who are critical of Musk, many of them getting pretty hateful and insulting about it. The only ones who have been removed from the platform are generally the same ones who broke rules that have existed before he even bought twitter. As far as I'm aware, none of the actual rules have changed, just the edge-case enforcement.

If Musk bans someone who is critical of him, I'm sure there's another reason why that person was actually banned. Now, if you want to be critical of those bans, that's fine, but anything they did to get themselves banned you need to defend when ANYONE does that sort of thing. Does that seem fair?

Reactions: Fuz
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom