• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

Musk has done literally nothing to earn that sort of benefit of the doubt lol
Then we agree. The rest of my post adds some important missing context. I don't think you should just give the benefit of the doubt to any platform who bans someone for a reason that they don't very specifically explain.

The only ones who have been removed from the platform are generally the same ones who broke rules that have existed before he even bought twitter. As far as I'm aware, none of the actual rules have changed, just the edge-case enforcement.

If Musk bans someone who is critical of him, I'm sure there's another reason why that person was actually banned. Now, if you want to be critical of those bans, that's fine, but anything they did to get themselves banned you need to defend when ANYONE does that sort of thing. Does that seem fair?

People should always be critical of social media bans, and Musk's version of Twitter is no exception.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sending SMS probably costs a lot more money than supporting authentication apps because phone providers are probably involved. It is a reasonable decision to charge extra for that.

Any company utilizing mass SMS messaging will be using a third party for the service and be paying some flat monthly rate that is going to be a lot lower than many think, a tiny drop in the bucket for a company Twitter's size. This is just about monetizing every little thing.

Elon Musk is such a pussy lol. He wants freedom of speech until you say something against him lol

He was never about free speech. His history already told us that even prior to purchasing Twitter, but also when he says silly things like "I am a free speech absolutist". First, that's something a teenager would say - someone lacking any wisdom of the world and unable to think about discourse in the public sphere with any nuance or responsibility in mind. Second, when someone says something that implies such extremes in their character, you can be sure they're going to practice the opposite of what they preach. Every time.

Last edited:
Then we agree. The rest of my post adds some important missing context. I don't think you should just give the benefit of the doubt to any platform who bans someone for a reason that they don't very specifically explain.

People should always be critical of social media bans, and Musk's version of Twitter is no exception.

Musk banned ElonJet because of whatever reason he wanted to make up at that time, so maybe you weren't aware that the actual rules had changed but you are now

Last edited:

SaintALia

So thread started Dec 18, and it's almost March, I'm guessing he wasn't planning to step down at all.

I'm guessing Twitter is gonna last until the 2024 US elections, though if Section 230 gets repealed or undergoes some sort of heavy reform, the platform as it is, is pretty fucked no? Even if all those lawsuits and unpaid bills get taken care of, and it manages to dodge all world regulatory bodies, the future doesn't look bright at all for the platform.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well, if any Twitter competitor has a chance at dethroning the king, surely it's the one by the guy that made the king.

Bluesky is essentially Mastodon with a corporate-backed protocol and actual investors. So it will probably gain some serious leverage as all of the various social media apps connect with it in time. Hopefully it does well, we need more competition in this space as Twitter has devolved and is unreliable (in numerous senses of the word) and Reddit is basically a testing ground for writing bots to repost old content these days.

I am into the Fediverse (the collection of apps that use ActivityPub) and it's swell and all, but it's not seeing the growth and support it needs basically because it's maintained by various tech workers out of the goodness of our hearts.

Also:

Things are breathtakingly bad over at Twitter now. Woof. And people still support Musk. He even fired that sycophant woman who was sleeping in the office. The winner of this entire debacle is clearly Jack Dorsey. The dude spun Bluesky as a separate project when he was still at Twitter. Gets Musk to overpay by tens of billions of dollars for Twitter, I assume predicting it would cave under his "leadership". Insures Bluesky development and IP was not part of the sale. Gets to hire a bunch of the quality engineers Musk fired to support this project as it enters beta. Jack fucking won, big time, and Bluesky hasn't even taken off yet.

Last edited:
Musk banned ElonJet because of whatever reason he wanted to make up at that time, so maybe you weren't aware that the actual rules had changed but you are now
I read the actual reasoning behind his decision and I agreed with it. He's still a hypocrite for doing so after saying otherwise, but I also still agree with the logic behind the choice. I've posted about it at length before. And the user wasn't permanently banned either, which is a lot more than I can say for the way the old guard ran things.

Anyhow, in other news:

I read the actual reasoning behind his decision and I agreed with it. He's still a hypocrite for doing so after saying otherwise, but I also still agree with the logic behind the choice. I've posted about it at length before. And the user wasn't permanently banned either, which is a lot more than I can say for the way the old guard ran things.

Anyhow, in other news:

You agree with the reasoning despite the user not being permanently banned? And not the journalists that reported it either. It’s either doxxing or it’s not, and Musk didn’t even stick to his own internal logic so it’s weird that you would.

You agree with the reasoning despite the user not being permanently banned? And not the journalists that reported it either. It’s either doxxing or it’s not, and Musk didn’t even stick to his own internal logic so it’s weird that you would.
I agree with the reasoning that the user was banned, but I'm glad they were not permanently banned. If you're going ban a topic from discussion on your platform, I believe you should do just that. Make it very clear was isn't allowed to be said, and ban the speech not the user. People should only be removed from platforms for repeated violations of clearly defined and openly stated rules that are as close to being objectively enforced as possible, IMO.

Last edited:
I agree with the reasoning that the user was banned, but I'm glad they were not permanently banned. If you're going ban a topic from discussion on your platform, I believe you should do just that. Make it very clear was isn't allowed to be said, and ban the speech not the user. People should only be removed from platforms for repeated violations of clearly defined and openly stated rules that are as close to objectively defined as possible, IMO.

so it's ok for users to be temporarily suspended or otherwise have their access limited on Musk's whims, but your line is drawn only on permanent bans?

RAÏSanÏa

Bluesky is essentially Mastodon with a corporate-backed protocol and actual investors. So it will probably gain some serious leverage as all of the various social media apps connect with it in time. Hopefully it does well, we need more competition in this space as Twitter has devolved and is unreliable (in numerous senses of the word) and Reddit is basically a testing ground for writing bots to repost old content these days.

I am into the Fediverse (the collection of apps that use ActivityPub) and it's swell and all, but it's not seeing the growth and support it needs basically because it's maintained by various tech workers out of the goodness of our hearts.

Also:

Things are breathtakingly bad over at Twitter now. Woof. And people still support Musk. He even fired that sycophant woman who was sleeping in the office. The winner of this entire debacle is clearly Jack Dorsey. The dude spun Bluesky as a separate project when he was still at Twitter. Gets Musk to overpay by tens of billions of dollars for Twitter, I assume predicting it would cave under his "leadership". Insures Bluesky development and IP was not part of the sale. Gets to hire a bunch of the quality engineers Musk fired to support this project as it enters beta. Jack fucking won, big time, and Bluesky hasn't even taken off yet.

A name and known workforce might give the sense of security that people/advertisers/developers/govs are looking for. Especially if it has a front end comms department ready to go and hit the ground running with previously established relationships.

For users though, given the way habits work it might take more than Musk driving people away to make transition faster and financially lucrative. Twitter having a sustained outage and an aggressive campaign to draw users would be part of a perfect storm. Use the disgruntledness with Musk and Twitter 2.0 culture.

Hoddi

He was picked as Person of the year here in Iceland. He was on Twitter's payroll as payment for the company he sold.

Halli, a 45 year-old designer, gained nation-wide recognition this year when, after the sale of his tech company Ueno to Twitter, he chose to be paid the sale price as wages. Normally in such large sales, the payment comes in the form of stock or other financial instruments, which categorize the sale as capital gains, meaning it is taxed at a much lower rate. Halli, however, gladly paid the higher tax rate, having spoken publicly on many occasions about the benefits he has received from the Icelandic social system.

One of his best-known projects is Ramp Up Iceland, which is building ramps throughout the nation to increase accessibility for people in wheelchairs. He has also personally donated to the legal funds of victims of sexual abuse, and has garnered praise for charitable donations to families in need this holiday season.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Literally everyone who posts on social media is a "Creator" in a generic sense.

But they do have another platform releases last September for people to add Twitch like subscriptions to their accounts, it has some eligibility requirements.. but not sure that would make any sense for Twitter blue. Of course.. I've never even heard of anyone actually offering a subscription to their account, let alone seen a "subscribe" button on anyone's account lol But for that program eligibility requirements aren't particularly harsh:

W/o any actual help page or info posted online, it's doubtful that "ad revenue sharing" program is actually live though.

Just more Elon BS to add to the pile.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

God he really just needs to self-filter what he babbles about on Twitter.

He deleted the particularly controversial/potentially law breaking post about the guy at least lol

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet" is some hilarious shit though lol

Last edited:
so it's ok for users to be temporarily suspended or otherwise have their access limited on Musk's whims, but your line is drawn only on permanent bans?
What you define as "musk's whims" essentially come down to the subjective question of what constitutes private personal information that shouldn't be publicly shared with others. Personally, I believe that not allowing real-time location info does not violate the spirit and value of free speech, in the same way that I believe not allowing slurs does not violate the spirit and value of free speech. You do not need slurs or real time location info to make any sort of point, express an opinion, explain your values, talk about your beliefs, etc. That's not to say that I want the government to decide such matters.

And yes, temporary bans intended to guide people to compliance with the restrictions of a platform are always better than permanent bans.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Elon keeps acting like a person continuously learning basic internet etiquette lessons that he already should know.
Thats because it's exactly what is happening. Everyone thought this guy was some tech guru genius and he turn out to be an idiot that tripped and fell to the top of the top of the world without anyone noticing he didn't know what he was doing somehow.

Its honestly impressive.

What you define as "musk's whims" essentially come down to the subjective question of what constitutes private personal information that shouldn't be publicly shared with others. Personally, I believe that not allowing real-time location info does not violate the spirit and value of free speech, in the same way that I believe not allowing slurs does not violate the spirit and value of free speech. You do not need slurs or real time location info to make any sort of point, express an opinion, explain your values, talk about your beliefs, etc. That's not to say that I want the government to decide such matters.

And yes, temporary bans intended to guide people to compliance with the restrictions of a platform are always better than permanent bans.

It was acceptable before for the "old guard", which is the entire discussion. Anyway Elonjet is still suspended, so it looks like a permanent ban making your whole point moot.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Musk changed his tune when he learned that Haraldur's contract was structured in such a way that if he were terminated Twitter would have to pay out his entire $100 million agreement (funny how Musk repeatedly demonstrates that he knows nothing about his employees or company before making important decisions or insulting people):

sjaqecp5ugma1.png

On a side note, Musk fans keep surprising me. I had a group chat exchange with one yesterday in which he asked me "why the stock prices aren't being affected by all of this so called bad news". I asked what stock he was referring to, which he very pompously shot back "Twitter!" and went on to talk about how it has made him so much money over the months since the purchase.

I calmly informed him that the company was taken private after the deal closed in October. That's why all records of Twitter stock prices ended then. This is of course well known to anyone who bothered to follow the story at all, and definitely would be known to any prior shareholders.

He left the group chat.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
And?

Is this an appeal to emotion?

No. But you should think about why he had to tweet Musk after he said he couldn't get an answer from HR ... He explained why ... And yet Musk was a total DICK to him. The man is NOT a good person NOR a good boss. Not even an effective one at Twitter... He keeps showing it time and again. He's going to lose more money running that thing into the ground. Which might be a good thing if it gives the competition an opening. Fuck Twitter before and after Musk!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No. But you should think about why he had to tweet Musk after he said he couldn't get an answer from HR ... He explained why ... And yet Musk was a total DICK to him. The man is NOT a good person NOR a good boss. Not even an effective one at Twitter... He keeps showing it time and again. He's going to lose more money running that thing into the ground. Which might be a good thing if it gives the competition an opening. Fuck Twitter before and after Musk!
Seems the disability is used as an appeal to emotion. Musk wasn't wrong, the guy was tweeting 24/7, if you can tweet, you can write code.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Seems the disability is used as an appeal to emotion. Musk wasn't wrong, the guy was tweeting 24/7, if you can tweet, you can write code.

He was managerial position. That's his job within Twitter after they bought his company. Not coding. He has MD... He can't type like that anymore.

Also, I hope that Musk actually pays him or he might have a lawsuit on his hands.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He was managerial position. That's his job within Twitter after they bought his company. Not coding. He has MD... He can't type like that anymore.

Also, I hope that Musk actually pays him or he might have a lawsuit on his hands.
They've had V2T programs for 20+ years now. Probably how he has been tweeting as much as the rest of them before and after he is gone.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They've had V2T programs for 20+ years now. Probably how he has been tweeting as much as the rest of them before and after he is gone.

MD can rob you of your voice. I had a friend who died of MD last year. Plus the guy was typing with one finger (gesture typing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom