• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank

I played an hour and seemed to be OK. Like the first area is not that great and I just got to town. I'm not having a difficult time playing. It doesn't seem hard this far in. The animation is mediocre by 2005 standards but the combat is actually still better than a Bethesda game. I don't see how Bethesda avoided criticism and point docking when Pirahna Bytes clearly does combat better from the start. Neither has combat or animation rivaling other modern games but both make fun games. I might not be far in but I'm not unhappy with my purchase so far.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Definitely love this game the further I get into it, and my god is it massive.

Watch Cohh play it most of the day today while working and some of the weapons you can get are amazing.

daevv

Getting this on PS4 tomorrow. Here in Canada it's $20 cheaper to get the disc version then downloading it. Weird.

Any early game tips? I've read it is hard at the start. Thanks.

foxdvd

so those that have put a lot of hours into it...do you reach a point where you feel like you can actually kill things? The IGN review has me a little scared that you will always feel week....

Moff

so those that have put a lot of hours into it...do you reach a point where you feel like you can actually kill things? The IGN review has me a little scared that you will always feel week....

you will become unstoppable at a point, yes. I think I spent at least half of my 62 hours playhtrough as an unstoppable god.
but the clerics certainly have an edge over the other factions.
their spell "black hole" ist the most devastating ability in the game and their plasma weapons are the best and most fun guns in the game.

hower, as many noticed by themselves, attributes DO NOT have any direct effect on damage or anyting, as the good folks over at reddit figured out
https://www.reddit.com/r/elex/comments/782zto/some_concrete_info_on_skills_and_other_things/

I am curious if this is ever adressed or patched, because either
a) the attributes are bugged
or b) they are mislabeled ingame

both does not look god for PB, but I strongly suspect it's the latter since the game is pretty well balanced. It would not make sense for the character to be even stronger in the mid/late game.
either way, the game desperately needs a more transparent stats/abilities display. definitely the games biggest flaw.

deoee

you will become unstoppable at a point, yes. I think I spent at least half of my 62 hours playhtrough as an unstoppable god.
but the clerics certainly have an edge over the other factions.
their spell "black hole" ist the most devastating ability in the game and their plasma weapons are the best and most fun guns in the game.

hower, as many noticed by themselves, attributes DO NOT have any direct effect on damage or anyting, as the good folks over at reddit figured out
https://www.reddit.com/r/elex/comments/782zto/some_concrete_info_on_skills_and_other_things/

I am curious if this is ever adressed or patched, because either
a) the attributes are bugged
or b) they are mislabeled ingame

both does not look god for PB, but I strongly suspect it's the latter since the game is pretty well balanced. It would not make sense for the character to be even stronger in the mid/late game.
either way, the game desperately needs a more transparent stats/abilities display. definitely the games biggest flaw.

^

Can't wait to finally find the place so I can join them.
Berserkers stink :p

120v

while it's refreshing to play an honest to god open ended, dynamically scaled rpg again i wish the starting area was a bit more curated. i feel like i'm just cheesing most quests with my jetpack and having Duran tank the one shot enemies.

i can tell there's a good game in there but getting there is not a smooth affair

Banzai

Little trick I discovered, for anyone having trouble with the Big Bang quest:

Bring a companion and enter the dome, and right before triggering the boss fight tell them to go back the meeting place. Then when you trigger the cutscene right after, the companion will still be on his way out instead of disappearing completely for some reason and will fight by your side. I did this with Falk.

It's possible that this trick is possible with other quests, but I wouldn't know. I'm still in Chapter 1...so many quests to do still. I just found the (Dome Town spoiler)
Thieves Guild

edit: man fuck, I am super conflicted about still posting here. But I do want a place to talk about this game with people. fuuuuuuck.

gossi

What's the easiest way to get a companion? I'm 4 hours in and I'm still solo - the only quests for companions seem to be based the other side of the map, which I can't reach due to deathage.

xrnzaaas

What's the easiest way to get a companion? I'm 4 hours in and I'm still solo - the only quests for companions seem to be based the other side of the map, which I can't reach due to deathage.

Recruit Duras in Goliet or Ray in Sandy Pines (Stolen Equipment quest) or Caja in The Domed City. Reaching the motel and Domed City is easy even on low level, just use the sprint button and the jetpack to outrun/avoid any strong enemy you may encounter.

You have two companions you can pick up fairly early in Edan.

Duras in Goliet
Falk in the Converter

Have been playing more and I love the game. I finally reached the Domed City and on my way outside
I ended up being abducted to the Hort
. That was unexpected, lol. Still no idea who I will join though.

xrnzaaas

You have two companions you can pick up fairly early in Edan.

Duras in Goliet
Falk in the Converter

Have been playing more and I love the game. I finally reached the Domed City and on my way outside
I ended up being abducted to the Hort
. That was unexpected, lol. Still no idea who I will join though.

The second one ain't exactly an easy companion. Simply being around the
converter can be deadly for a low level character and that's not all, because you have to get to the top of that thing

I sticked with Duras for the early hours, then kept Ray for a long time and in the final part of the campaign I switched to
Nasty
It was just to keep things fresh, I don't feel like in Elex it's crucial to pick the best teammate, they're all very similar and you don't have control over their progression.

The second one ain't exactly an easy companion. Simply being around the
converter can be deadly for a low level character and that's not all, because you have to get to the top of that thing

Yeah, true. But with Duras by your side it's fairly easy to get to the top.

xrnzaaas

How do I get Duras? I've done some quests for him, but he hasn't given me the option of following him.

There's a murder investigation quest you receive from him. It's a simple one, just visit and interrogate all the people from the list (they're all around Edan). Just make sure not to
betray Duras
at the very end of that quest.

gossi

There's a murder investigation quest you receive from him. It's a simple one, just visit and interrogate all the people from the list. Just make sure not to
betray Duras
at the very end of that quest.

Oh, I got that one, but aren't the people at every corner of the map?

You can even get him to follow you after visiting only a few people from his list.

They're all in Edan but scattered around. Be sure to bring your jetpack to avoid anything that moves, lol.

xrnzaaas

They're in different parts of Edan. You don't have to fight monsters along the way, you can escape them instead. All of the people you need to question should be in safe areas.

This games exploration is fuckin awesome.

No level scaling monsters hnngh.

Really fun experience for me. Pure RPG, no shit drizzle useless crap.

The game however plateus like a lot of rpgs in terms of difficulty by level 17ish.

Put that tech away!

gossi

You can even get him to follow you after visiting only a few people from his list.

They're all in Edan but scattered around. Be sure to bring your jetpack to avoid anything that moves, lol.

Okay, cheers. Are there a few people in particular, so I don't have to do them all? I looked at the map and realised it would take a long time and be a nightmare due to enemies.

Okay, cheers. Are there a few people in particular, so I don't have to do them all? I looked at the map and realised it would take a long time and be a nightmare due to enemies.

You have to do them all eventually to finish the quest. But in my case talking to 2 or 3 of them and reporting back was enough to get Duras to follow me.

As an aside, ELEX got to 23k concurrent players over the weekend, pretty awesome. It's also doing extremely well on Twitch.

gossi

You have to do them all eventually to finish the quest. But in my case talking to 2 or 3 of them and reporting back was enough to get Duras to follow me.

As an aside, ELEX got to 23k concurrent players over the weekend, pretty awesome. It's also doing extremely well on Twitch.

Cheers, I'll do that.

And yeah, despite having a score of 50 on Metacritic, this thing is doing really well I think. Deservedly so - I think it's a good game.

It'll easily be a cult classic.

It's from a nice vein of old school rpg.

The cleric area sucked though.

PnCIa

Something to remember that i already posted about ealier: At first, it may seem nearly impossible to get around the world if you do the traditional RPG thingy and fight whatever you encounter. That seems to be what IGN et al. did...they just ran straight to the objective and got killed a ton.

This game requires you to navigate around hard enemies at all times. You need to be aware of whats ahead. Its less frustration this way because you dont try to take on things that can kill you in one hit, even though some seem to find cleverly avoiding enemies to be frustrating, too.

I am so glad that PB finally reached a larger audience again. Ironically with a game that goes against mass market convention, unlike Risen 2 and 3.

gossi

Something to remember that i already posted about ealier: At first, it may seem nearly impossible to get around the world if you do the traditional RPG thingy and fight whatever you encounter. That seems to be what IGN et al. did...they just ran straight to the objective and got killed a ton.

This game requires you to navigate around hard enemies at all times. You need to be aware of whats ahead. Its less frustration this way because you dont try to take on things that can kill you in one hit, even though some seem to find cleverly avoiding enemies to be frustrating, too.

Yeah, I'm on board with running and jetting through enemies - I do it. It's just a pain when I'm so squishy - reaching the other side of the map is still terrifying to me at the moment, so I've just been companionless. Which is making it more difficult.

Is there a way to
prevent uprising in Domed CIty ? In my case outlaws+separatists rebelled. Also how do you progress after that. I have a quest named Conflict in Abessa, I checked the bodies but all markers dissappeared after that and I have to idea how to finish it.

Is there a way to
prevent uprising in Domed CIty ? In my case outlaws+separatists rebelled. Also how do you progress after that. I have a quest named Conflict in Abessa, I checked the bodies but all markers dissappeared after that and I have to idea how to finish it.

I assume
not helping the outlaws
?

Moff

Is there a way to
Thats a bug. The quest will remain unsolved and there are no further quests in that questline.

Abessa has 1 other outcome as far as I know.

I actually missed the implosion over the weekend thanks to this game. It's been a very strange and sad start to the week for sure.

Thanks to exploring a little, I am now a squishy level 4 with some super weapons awaiting me for later. I knew wandering about would pay off :) I know i have a couple of Flame Swords i can't use yet but i can't remember the two other weapons.

I do think i'll go Cleric on this run through and i'm still wary of quests in case they lock me into things but that'll pass as i get more confident.

xrnzaaas

Picking up the game later today. Any good starting tips beyond the normal Piranha Bytes ones?

Jetpack is your new best friend, but make sure to observe the energy level. The jetpack also shuts down prematurely when it reaches the critical red level, don't know if you can turn off that annoying feature from the options.

Carcetti

Caved and tested this and it's not that difficult, really. With the Gothic mindset I just kited monsters with bow and avoided killing anything which let me easily solve high level quests. Too bad city guards die so easy that they're useless for kiting.

PnCIa

Picking up the game later today. Any good starting tips beyond the normal Piranha Bytes ones?
I will shamelessly quote myself:

Take that to heart because its even more important than in their past games. For example, there is a classic "bring me X amount of something" quest early on that a lot of people seem to hate because there are strong enemies around the target location. Just tread lightly around the gameworld.

Another thing: Pratice your sword-swinging when there are no enemies around. See how many swings you can do with your stamina, what timing is needed for clicking and when to hit the combo-attack button.

Ragnaroz

That's mostly because CohhCarnage has been bringing in 15k+ viewers every day, but he won't be playing the game for the next few weeks because of the new releases.

Steez

The old PB approach to exploration, combat and well, everything definitely applies here as well. You're going to earn your first levels pretty much without fighting at all, get lockpicking and pickpocketing ASAP and steal everything, learn chemistry for potions, explore every nook and cranny, etc.

The three skills that give you more exp from quests, monster slaying and reading books are probably not worth the investment. The increase is miniscule (I think only 5%) and you don't get any experience from reading books in the first place, which is most likely a bug.

Get all three levels of Animal Trophies for a steady income. It's not obvious from the start, but money is really important and the economy in this game is surprisingly well balanced. High end gear costs tons of money and you're gonna spend a lot on pure elex, which you can turn into elex potions. One regular elex potion gives you +2 attribute points.

There's also a skill called Attribute, which seems pretty cool at first. It gives you one extra attribute point on level up, but its viability is debateable. You obviously need to take it as fast as possible for a larger payout, but it has a requirement of 50 int, meaning that's all you're going to level in the beginning, possibly gimping your character in other places. And the abovementioned elex potions might make this skill just straight up obsolete since pure elex as a resource is probably infinite.

Alebelly

Is there any info on companion power or level, I just changed companions and the new one is way more powerful than the previous one. Is there a companion guide?

Also, what governs companion death? How many times can they get knocked down before they die, and does that get reset if you rest or heal?

(safe hacking is a nightmare for me, Im colorblind and I cant tell the difference between the shades of yellow and green)

eXistor

I'm really on the fence about this one. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game as I've enjoyed most PB games. For all their shortcomings they tend to cater to my specific tastes (outside of that main character, could he be any more bland?). But on the other hand my PC can't run this properly and I have no intention of upgrading any time soon. Anyone with the PS4 version here? How does it run?

gossi

I'm really on the fence about this one. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game as I've enjoyed most PB games. For all their shortcomings they tend to cater to my specific tastes (outside of that main character, could he be any more bland?). But on the other hand my PC can't run this properly and I have no intention of upgrading any time soon. Anyone with the PS4 version here? How does it run?

PS4 and Xbox One run fine. They didn't lock the framerate yet but there's lots playing with no issue.

I've been playing for around 15 hours on my save, which for me is a lot. At around 12 hours, to my surprise, I hit
Chapter 2
. No idea that was a thing. So far, I love this game. If you put in the time, dont' think you can kill everything, and just explore you will be rewarded with a great experience. People are shitting on the combat, but I personally find it better than what I experienced in Skyrim or Witcher 3.

So yeah, I like it. You might like it too.

Jag

Here is a list of good to have items.

From Reddit, I would say the 2 most important FREE items you can find in the open world are:

Sunglasses (detect loot): On top of a windmill (north east of domed city?). Flying up there was a pain. They intentionally put moving platform so I can spend 20 min jumping and falling off till I figured out there's a stable platform hidden on the other side of the damn windmill.

A 2nd location for these sunglasses are located on top of the car in the middle of the bridge in South Abessa.

It also appears you can purchase these from "Rat" in the fort as well, they do NOT appear to be able to be pickpocketed from him however.

Detect loot is amazing. It will also show loot above and below you. Bummed I went through 11 levels without it. You actually don't need to jump on the moving platform to get them at the windmill.

Flame Thrower Mk 2 (39 fire damage ;req: 31 STR, 31 Dex): Map Found in the partially buried dome with all the rippers in it, north-west of the Fort. It's sitting in a box, so you can just run by and pick it up before you jetpack out. Note: This weapon is MUCH more powerful then it looks at a glance.

If you are still hitting like a wet noodle, this is almost game breaking. It has very low stat requirements too. Fuel is 1elexit each. So buy all you need. Turn it to fireball (F on pc) and it has a knockback which lets you take on much more powerful enemies and groups.

FYI: Don't get Haggle or Fuel will disappear from Vendor because it will be less than 1elexit. It's a bug. The moving vendor by Domed City usually has fuel. Buy it, close window and reopen and it will repop.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how fast can one just use guns, and play it like a shooter? All I see are people using melee. I saw you get a gun in a early quest but it has really high stat requirement

Moff

You'll find a usable bow in the first 5 minutes.
Guns depends a lot on how fast you progress and with what attributes. I'd say at least 10 hours before you can use a gun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You'll find a usable bow in the first 5 minutes.
Guns depends a lot on how fast you progress and with what attributes. I'd say at least 10 hours before you can use a gun.

welp that sucks. Thanks.

Top Bottom