• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank

DPB

It sounds like this game needed to be delayed and they felt they couldn't miss the holiday season. I'm sure budget played a big role in that. I'm certain the developers were aware of the balance issues and others prior to launch.

The balance is fine. It's brutally difficult if you stray too far from safety, but Gothic 2 with Night of the Raven installed was like that too.

I haven't ran into any bugs in several hours either, this isn't Gothic 3.

Rubikant

Bah, trying to reach an item for a quest but it's in a restricted room and even when I sneak into it some bastard from the next room just runs in despite not being able to see me. Very annoying.

When you say "sneak", are you making sure to use the actual sneak skill, or just walking? I ask because some other guy earlier in the thread didn't realize that there is an actual sneak mode that prevents people hearing you.

Mudo

the lock for the trapdoor is next to one of the barrels, it's hard to find.
this is also a quest for the thieves guild.

wait hold up - there’s a THIEVES GUILD?!?! I’m 13 hours in and have only heard of the big factions no guilds. where do i find this and can i join? are there other guilds?!

PnCIa

It sounds like this game needed to be delayed and they felt they couldn't miss the holiday season. I'm sure budget played a big role in that. I'm certain the developers were aware of the balance issues and others prior to launch.
The balancing seems to be spot-on for what they are (seemingly) trying to achieve. You will have to be warry of your surroundings even on higher levels, making exploration a lot more interesting and challenging. It takes a very long time until exploration is a walk in the park like in TES.

Low level enemies also give you very low XP while high level enemies give you a lot of XP in comparison. Early on when you can beat low level enemies, you are mostly doing talking and walking quests anyway, after some time you can start to actually tackle higher level enemies.

I think balance is intentional. They want you to be weak at the start. I am actually enjoying it because in almost all RPGS you are very overpowered. It was a problem with Risen 3 too.

vocab

"You can't enter here, it's off limits"

Jet packs over the wall, and does a quest your not intended to do until later. Man it's only 1 hour in, and i'm already doing the good shit.

From a hardcore PB fan, this game has huge potential but still needs about 1 or 2 for patches to make it shine. They need to fix some really glaring issues.

- allow rebinding of all keys

Could you (or another kindly adventurer) let me know which keys are locked please?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Could you (or another kindly adventurer) let me know which keys are locked please?

The E and Q key are locked, you can't bind E to move forward for example. All the number keys are locked for your item belt. I managed to get around all this using AutoHotKey for now.

Mudo

the thieves guild is not a joinable faction, but still a very cool questline in the game. they give you about a dozen quests for stealing certain items in the three faction cities.
it's very hard to miss.
https://guides.gamepressure.com/elex/guide.asp?ID=41926

Thanks! I ended my play in Vito’s. bar last night and had just talked to him. Nothing about this came up so i’m not sure if i did something wrong there... but i see there is an alternate way to get into this so i’ll use that

Ragona

ok heres a pretty insane tip to turn ressources into elex potions (playing german version so not sure on the exact english item names):

Step 1: making cash

craft energy storages (the clerics consumable) - small ones cost 1 sulfur or iron + 1 electrical waste. Turn small ones into the higher version till you can get to the highest version. The exchange rate is 1:1 each level for some weird reason.
The highest version sells for 50 credits. At level 15 i had enough material to make 190 of them, which is almost 10k credits.

Step 2: Buy pure elex

Olutlaw camp has quite a few Elex vendors. Doc, however seems to be a special cake, as his Elex stocks replanishes instantly after trading -> endless stream of elex. You need to do a little sidequest to unlock him as a vendor though

Step 3: Turn elex into elex potions

attribute points, or skill points however you see fit.
This gave me 50 attribute points more or less for free now.

Have fun :p

You probably can make this even more effective by purchasing the haggle skill

Moff

ok heres a pretty insane tip to turn ressources into elex potions (playing german version so not sure on the exact english item names):

Step 1: making cash

craft energy storages (the clerics consumable) - small ones cost 1 sulfur or iron + 1 electrical waste. Turn small ones into the higher version till you can get to the highest version. The exchange rate is 1:1 each level for some weird reason.

I noticed that too, that's obviously a bug, but certianly a very powerful exploit get rich easily, and since you can basically buy levelups in this game that's pretty gamebreaking.

pLow7

Jesus, 1 week before release we were like 2-3 people who kept the „Hype“-thread alive and now this thread gets a post every few minutes. Really happy for PB.

Getting my Hands on this next week and can‘t wait!

Anoxida

Thanks! I ended my play in Vito’s. bar last night and had just talked to him. Nothing about this came up so i’m not sure if i did something wrong there... but i see there is an alternate way to get into this so i’ll use that

Yeah you sure its vito? Talked to that guy too and done all quests in doomed city no memtion of a key. I'll talk to him agaim but yeah this questline is not "not hard to miss".

Buckle

Jesus, 1 week before release we were like 2-3 people who kept the „Hype”-thread alive and now this thread gets a post every few minutes. Really happy for PB.

Getting my Hands on this next week and can‘t wait!
I was going to make a joke about "being one of the proud four people that posted in this two page thread" when it popped up but pleasantly surprised to see how lively the thread is.

Anyone know of any traders outside of the Hort that sell fuel for the flamethrowers?

The armory master just keeps giving me guff about not trading right now and probably shouldn't really rely on them for that since I imagine I'm going to end up pissing them off down the line somehow anyway.

3 hours in. quite like it.
i paid the guy at they gate for his "good woord". turns out it was a waste of money.

I love those small, unexpected twists. There is another one early on where
you can ask for a low reward, a high reward or whatever the quest giver feels fair. You get much more when asking for the last.

Buckle

Doesn't look like you can actually collect the bounty on
Ray
. Thats disappointing.

Inquired about it at the fort with Wyatt and despite being able to show interest in dialog that Jax wants to do it, he seems unkillable whether he's in the party or not.

I'm 20 hours in and starting to turn the corner. I've gotten my stats up high enough to use one of the better weapons I've found. It inflicts bleeding, which seems to work pretty dang well. Now I'm managing to kill larger monsters.

Is there any consequence later for killing your companions?

I solved Duran's case which ended up with him being the culprit. So I reported him to Ragnar and executed Duran in front of him. I thought he wouldn't fit for the adventure waiting ahead of me. I've already got Falk the Cleric for the time being, and it seems that I'll get more companions down the road anyway.

I don't know about long-term consequences.

But...
There's a village where you can have all of your companions move to. One of the villagers there will give you 500 xp + bonuses for every companion you recommend.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Sleep until midnight and try then.

Unfortunately that didn't help in this case but I'll remember that for my pickpocketing shenanigans!

When you say "sneak", are you making sure to use the actual sneak skill, or just walking? I ask because some other guy earlier in the thread didn't realize that there is an actual sneak mode that prevents people hearing you.

I was in actual sneak mode but I was moving too fast or when I at least slowed down I was able to grab it :)

EDIT - I seem to be pissing off everyone in this game! I have such a way with people. :)

Anoxida

OK so thieves guild quest is not triggering in my game. That fucking sucks...

Edit: stole the key instead. We'll see if it works this way. Gonna try find the entrance.

Edit 2:
Can confirm stealing key and looking up where the entrance is works. Also this place is a fucking gold mine if you got pick pocket. Holy crap

Moff

OK so thieves guild quest is not triggering in my game. That fucking sucks...

Edit: stole the key instead. We'll see if it works this way. Gonna try find the entrance.
You can enter from the sewers. I did it that way.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Is there any news when the first patch is to arrive? I really want to get it but am waiting for 2 or 3 patches first, after reading the impressions.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Is there any news when the first patch is to arrive? I really want to get it but am waiting for 2 or 3 patches first, after reading the impressions.

Zero communication from PB, it's embarrassing. Compared to Larian or CDPR, it's like they just don't give a fuck.

i tried killing some strong mutants with my companion. I always let him do the work. but one mutant pushed him over a cliff into the ocean and i thought he died.
Mutant attacks me and i think, ok that's it ill die too. but then to my surprise my companion came flying in with the jet pack and saved my butt.

Jams775

I think the only, kind of annoying thing about the game is that you'll run around trying to find quests and you have no idea if you can do it or not until you are in the middle of it. Then when you find out you can't, you'll either have to cheese it which is fine if you can or leave in the middle of the quest and try to find more quests that you can actually do. Except it just leads to more quests you can't do yet.

I wish there was maybe a better way to hint if you can actually accomplish the quest or not.

I checked out World of Elex and its forum and I didn't see a thing yet about a patch. How long did it take for their previous games to receive a patch or news of it? It's only been a few days since release.

Ombra

Just when I think I'm done it pulls me back in. Got a companion, a woman in the domed city who has been a great help, stole a laser gun and did some quests, trying to level up to use it though combat is a bit better with a meat shield acting as a distraction.

I just bought it on GOG and I leaky like the exploration that PB keeps rocking since Gothic 1. I don't know however, why they won't return to Risen 1's combat system as I find it way faster, responsive and a bit more skillful. Even Risen 2 and 3's weren't that sluggish. But of course all of them look kind of ridiculous witht the dodge roll compared to Risen 1.

InfantilePastelIceblueredtopzebra-max-14mb.gif

WhisperedWelldocumentedIndianringneckparakeet-max-14mb.gif

ExhaustedSarcasticCoqui-max-14mb.gif

I don't mind the difficulty, however. PB's games (before the awful Risen 3 balancing) was always about testing your (character) limits. There were areas you weren't supposed to visit. This is still an RPG and not an action adventure. And even if you were strong enough to beat one enemy easily, fighting two or even three at the time could completely turn the tides against you.

My buddy and I are playing PB's games since their very first release of Gothic 1 and we are still excited about their games. All of them have this special "PB charm" you won't find in RPGs made by a team with the size of PB.
Thosw gifs show a night and day difference.

Mudo

I think the only, kind of annoying thing about the game is that you'll run around trying to find quests and you have no idea if you can do it or not until you are in the middle of it. Then when you find out you can't, you'll either have to cheese it which is fine if you can or leave in the middle of the quest and try to find more quests that you can actually do. Except it just leads to more quests you can't do yet.

I wish there was maybe a better way to hint if you can actually accomplish the quest or not.

I’ve had the same problem. Don’t even think about doing all of Edan then skipping Abessa/Domed City -i went to Hort and got quests and could not do a single one lol. So now i’m back in Abessa which is still tough. At least i finally upgraded from my Rusty Hatchet to “Hatchet” after 12 hours lol!!!

I went ahead and bought it to support the developer. I knew I was going to buy it eventually and waiting for a sale and the inevitable patches would just hurt the developers. I will just try it out and then wait. I'm willing to believe this game is an unpolished diamond in need of post launch loving. It will be fun watching it evolve over time.

Rubikant

Anyone know the door code in the converter in Elan?

This confused me for a while too, but turns out you don't find the code anywhere, its a hacking mini-game. When you are on the keypad screen, press Z (keyboard) / Triangle (PS4) / Y (XB1) to enter the hacking mini-game to hack the keypad (you don't need any hacking skill for this particular keypad, there are some like this that can be hacked with 0 skill).

The hacking game also took me a while to figure out how it works, and I'm not sure I completely get it, but its a variant on the old board game Mastermind. You have 4 numbers to try, between each number is a < or > sign. The < or > sign tells you if the next number is larger or smaller than the previous number. After you guess, the numbers you guess are labeled. Red numbers mean they are the wrong number, yellow means they are the right number but not yet in the correct position. That's what it seemed worked for me anyway.

Buckle

Been so focused on quests for so long, decided to just fuck around and started exploring the coast of Edan.

It would be quite relaxing if it wasn't for all the attempts on my life along the way.

Moff

I had similar thoughts in the beginning.
But no, that would hurt the game, I think that is an important issue so I'll elaborate.

We need to stop making games feel like checklists. It destroys them, it destroys immersion,the game becomes work, a chore, if you no longer experience it yourself.

Think about it, what would you do if the quests had level requirements on them? You would ignore all of them instead of getting out into the world and experiencing it.
Quest markers are bad enough already, we don't need the game to tell us when to do what, too.

Besides, progression doesn't really work like that in the game, what if you just level social skills in the first ten levels, how would you solve a level 10 quest with level 10 enemies when you still have level 1 weapons and armor? This game is not supposed to be played like that. You need to experience it and learn things for yourself, and getting your ass kicked is a big part of that.

DPB

Well, it appears I jinxed it after saying I hadn't ran into any bugs. The lockpicking minigame is currently pointless, if you cancel out of it the chest automatically unlocks.

Well, it appears I jinxed it after saying I hadn't ran into any bugs. The lockpicking minigame is currently pointless, if you cancel out of it the chest automatically unlocks.

I got stuck in the minigame once. I saved before I attempted to unlock it just to see what happens. When I reloaded, I was still moving the lockpick/pins, but I was outside the screen in the normal game. Good times.

Top Bottom