• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Fake

Beat the game tonight, I think. Beat the Eldon beast. Any chance I can avoid ng+ for a bit still?

You can avoid ng+ as much as you like. There are loads of things to do yet. Only if you get bored or want to level up more quickly.

I avoiding my ng+ for the DLC.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Beat the game tonight, I think. Beat the Eldon beast. Any chance I can avoid ng+ for a bit still?
You have to explicitly choose to go to NG+ cycles, there's 0 chance you will do it by accident. Even when you click the thing there's warnings about what you're going to do if you do it, and you're free to never do it if you want.

But you should at some point, because you can build an entirely different character with all the gear you've found before you hop into NG+ and have fun blasting through early game bosses that once have you trouble.

Until then, you can trade in that EB soul for the sword and upgrade it for a laughably good farming method.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
You have to explicitly choose to go to NG+ cycles, there's 0 chance you will do it by accident. Even when you click the thing there's warnings about what you're going to do if you do it, and you're free to never do it if you want.

But you should at some point, because you can build an entirely different character with all the gear you've found before you hop into NG+ and have fun blasting through early game bosses that once have you trouble.

Until then, you can trade in that EB soul for the sword and upgrade it for a laughably good farming method.
I’ve heard it’s a pretty solid unit. I’ll do that today.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Once you've maxed out from using them? Just collect them, there's nothing else you can do with them. Useless currency by that point
That’s kind of weird. There are so many of them. Maybe they will have some use in the dlc.

I wonder how much the dlc will change the base game too, if at all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That’s kind of weird. There are so many of them. Maybe they will have some use in the dlc.

I wonder how much the dlc will change the base game too, if at all.
I guessing you can bring new weapons and spells you get to base game like in Bloodborne DLC.

But I heard all new progression system is gonna be exclusive to DLC not the base game.

Last edited:

Dancer_BV

It's not a new progression system, they've just added level scaling to the DLC area, so the difficulty stays the same regardless of what level you are
I'm honestly surprised, though I should have expected this. Level scaling in a Souls game was something I had never considered, since the unleveled world felt so natural.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm honestly surprised, though I should have expected this. Level scaling in a Souls game was something I had never considered, since the unleveled world felt so natural.
I agree. It seemed unnecessary to me. The point of getting to new areas was the new bad guys who were tougher, then you die a bunch, level and learn, and move forward. it was part of the experience. This is super disappointing to me.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I think I have just about everything beat. Just need to clear out a few more dungeons and the death roots I think? Also, the dung eater stuff I think.

Pretty good ride I think.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I 1000GP’d the game on Xbox, but now that the expansion is coming out and my Xbox is abandoned, I started a new game on PS5. 6 hours in, managed to beat Margit solo, no ashes, at L21 W+3 melee build. One of the most satisfying gaming experiences ever, and the capture of the battle is certainly 3min of my best souls gameplay ever. I wish there was a way to share links to PS5 video captures.

Mo3iCFb.jpg

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Question on the dung eater stuff. If I defeated the Eldon beast is there any reason I shouldn’t be able to do his quest for his stuff still?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Question on the dung eater stuff. If I defeated the Eldon beast is there any reason I shouldn’t be able to do his quest for his stuff still?
Not to my knowledge. The only point of no return I can think of is the obvious one after Maliketh. Everything else runs independently AFAIK

Edit: part of Dung Eater's does involve the point of no return, so I hope you got the item before beating Maliketh. Did you explore the capital? It's near the beginning

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Not to my knowledge. The only point of no return I can think of is the obvious one after Maliketh. Everything else runs independently AFAIK

Edit: part of Dung Eater's does involve the point of no return, so I hope you got the item before beating Maliketh. Did you explore the capital? It's near the beginning
I can’t remember sadly. I think so but I’m not certain. Oh well. Next time I guess.

Antwix

Started a NG last week. I had 100% the game near release and haven't really touched it since. Man is it great, but man is it tedious to go through again. I wanted to have a 2nd save with most of the weapons/talismans/ashes/spells/etc so I could play the dlc a 2nd time easily (in NG) when it comes out. But everytime I think "ahh I don't really need to go over there", I end up going off thinking I'm gonna forget a useful tear/spell/weapon/etc lol.

God I hope the dlc brings a boss rush mode....

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Started a NG last week. I had 100% the game near release and haven't really touched it since. Man is it great, but man is it tedious to go through again. I wanted to have a 2nd save with most of the weapons/talismans/ashes/spells/etc so I could play the dlc a 2nd time easily (in NG) when it comes out. But everytime I think "ahh I don't really need to go over there", I end up going off thinking I'm gonna forget a useful tear/spell/weapon/etc lol.

God I hope the dlc brings a boss rush mode....
Has there been any rumors of a boss rush mode? In my experience, some of the enemies are worse than the bosses. I’m looking at you crucible knights!

Antwix

Has there been any rumors of a boss rush mode? In my experience, some of the enemies are worse than the bosses. I’m looking at you crucible knights!
Unfortunately not that I've seen. I hope so though. The game is so big that it's tough to go through again if you're just interested in fighting a few bosses again.

But yeah it's a fromsoft game alright. Some of the elite enemies really pack a punch just like their earlier games.

Danjin44

Those enemies seems design around for parry because once you get timing to parry them they become cake walk.

The game is so big that it's tough to go through again if you're just interested in fighting a few bosses again.
Dark Souls 2 remains the only game by FromSoft to fix this problem (Bonfire Ascetics). Also, the Champion's Ashes mod for Dark Souls 3 has a similar functionality exclusively for bosses.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dark Souls 2 remains the only game by FromSoft to fix this problem (Bonfire Ascetics). Also, the Champion's Ashes mod for Dark Souls 3 has a similar functionality exclusively for bosses.
There's also Sekiro, which lets you pick from a menu. Which makes it even more wild that Elden Ring doesn't have it, given how often they copy paste code.

Unfortunately not that I've seen. I hope so though. The game is so big that it's tough to go through again if you're just interested in fighting a few bosses again.
You can cut down the 100+ hour first playthrough to 20 or so if you skip most optional areas and know exactly where to go. But yeah it's still quite a lot of time. Fromsoft games really need a boss rush mode.

I reached the Mohgwyn palace in my NG+. Not much else to do besides killing the Fire Giant and going to the Haligtree. I've been using the Sacred Relic Sword and it has an incredibly large AOE - perfect for farming runes in the underground Albinaurics spot. On the other hand the Godskin apostle in Altus was surprisingly tough.

For some reason the Godskin in Radahn's tower is end game level high but one of my playthrough I managed beat him early I got lot of runes.
Must be a real pain the butt since there are no pillars to block his rolling attack. Even in NG+ and at level 200 it's not the kind of boss I want to fight again. I wish there were more tree sentinels, for instance.

Danjin44

Must be a real pain the butt since there are no pillars to block his rolling attack. Even in NG+ and at level 200 it's not the kind of boss I want to fight again. I wish there were more tree sentinels, for instance.
In Radahn's tower you fight skinny Godskin which is much easier to deal with but he hits HARD.

My solution with that fat Godskin when there is no pillar is chase him in circle and he will try to chase you....so basically.
200w.gif

Antwix

You can cut down the 100+ hour first playthrough to 20 or so if you skip most optional areas and know exactly where to go. But yeah it's still quite a lot of time. Fromsoft games really need a boss rush mode.
Oh yeah for sure. I know you can just mainline stuff and not stray off the beaten path and just get any weapons you want as needed. But I just had a dilemma when I was playing thru a new save file. I have my first main character with 100% completion and all the weapons/tears/spells/etc but when I go to play the DLC and go through that.... that's it. I wanted to have another save file so I can play thru the DLC again if/when I wanted to. From what we know, you gotta beat Mogh (+Radahn) to access it and that's a decent way into the game playing normally.

But yeah, boss rush is needed. I know on PC you can mess with saves/mods, but on console it's a lot more tedious, especially xbox. Like if I wanted to fight Melania again, that's wayyyyy into the game just to fight her one more time.

From what we know, you gotta beat Mogh (+Radahn) to access it and that's a decent way into the game playing normally.
Why Radahn? You can reach Mohg's Palace with White Mask Varre (Rose Church in Liurnia) quest. To finish that quest you need to beat 1 shard bearer, meet two fingers (Round Table Hold), get the medallions for Lift of Rold (Dragonbarrow Keep and Fort Haight) or climb through cave, do the invasion in Writheblood Ruins in Altus Plateau thrice, and go back to starting area with Great Bellfries in Liurnia for the maiden blood.

Last edited:

Antwix

Why Radahn?
Not sure. We'll just have to wait and see. Just remember seeing it in a Miyazaki interview that said he needs to be defeated as well. Something something stars, something something Nokstella, something something gravity. Who knows lol.

And yeah, you can get to Radahn and Mohg fairly early but actually beating them is another story. Radahn after the nerf isn't bad but Mohg is gonna be pretty beefy if you're just rushing there.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member

The game is already GOAT material, but just hearing about some of the cut content really makes me wish they had to taken a bit more time to include it.

One of my main nitpicks with the game was how certain areas (Mohgwynn Palace, Haligtree, Farum Azula) were completely disconnected and only accessible via a warp of sorts. The cut content specifically would have addressed these issues.

Plus, "cataclysm" events to unlock new sections of the map would have been a crazy cool game mechanic to see implemented. We got a form of this by beating Radahn and causing a meteor shower, but it would have been insane to see this used regularly.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

The game is already GOAT material, but just hearing about some of the cut content really makes me wish they had to taken a bit more time to include it.

One of my main nitpicks with the game was how certain areas (Mohgwynn Palace, Haligtree, Farum Azula) were completely disconnected and only accessible via a warp of sorts. The cut content specifically would have addressed these issues.

Plus, "cataclysm" events to unlock new sections of the map would have been a crazy cool game mechanic to see implemented. We got a form of this by beating Radahn and causing a meteor shower, but it would have been insane to see this used regularly.

That really feels like something coming in a sequel to me.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Got another trophy last night. I missed the sword in the keep with the huge hands everywhere. Just kind of stumble upon it and poof, got it.

Thinking about doing the rest of them for the plat. It seems fairly doable. Just need to figure out what I’m all missing

Top Bottom