• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Prediction thread: GOTY 2023 nominees ?

What 6 games will be nominated for GOTY 2023?

• Arc Raiders

• Redfall

• Resident Evil 4 Remake

• Hogwarts Legacy

• Forspoken

• Forza Motorsport

• Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League

• STALKER 2

• Final Fantasy XVI

• Starfield

• Minecraft Legends

• Hollow Knight Silksong

• Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

• Alan Wake 2

• Stellar Blade

• Wild Hearts

• Star Wars Jedi Survivor

• Street Fighter 6

• Atomic Heart

• Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

• Diablo IV

• Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom

• Fire Emblem Engage

• Dead Island 2

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Forget 2022, thats a wrap. What 6 games that we currently know of slated for 2023 will be nominated for GoTY?

Theres a lot i couldn’t fit into the poll, like Pragmata, Ishin Like a Dragon, Pikmin 4, Tekken 8, Dead Space Remake, Lies of Pi, ARK 2, Deadspace, Avatar. Etc

Last edited:
I can’t because I haven’t play them yet.
Where are all the indie games though and the Japanese side niche projects? Isn't it pointless to discuss GOTY unless we have other games listed as well? Or is this only an AAA fest? :p Wow pointless thread. GG. /s For real though ya'll are hypocrites.

Diablo 4, BotW 2, Starfield will most likely be GOTY contenders.

Last edited:
That very possible, it doesn’t matter is indie, AA or AAA if it’s good and I end up enjoying it it can very well become my GOTY.
But I thought you said it's pointless to discuss in GOTY threads when only AAA are mentioned? lol seriously dude? What kind of mineshare is that?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But I thought you said it's pointless to discuss in GOTY threads when only AAA are mentioned? lol seriously dude? What kind of mineshare is that?
In you thread you said only 2 games carrying 2022 which absolutely not true unless you haven’t playing anything other than those 2 games.

But hey if you want limit you option then that’s your choice.

Filben

Nominated? Probably all of them that come out next year.

Win? Hard to say. STALKER 2 won't be coming out next year. Diablo IV ain't gonna make it because Blizzard lost their way. Alan Wake 2 is unfortunately too niche, Control was on #19 last year. Hollow Knight is also too niche. We don't know nothing about Redfall. Arc Raiders too specific. Fighting games don't tend to get this award, so no Street Fighter. Dead Island? No way a zombie game is getting this award. Also no superhero game. JRPGs also don't tend to get that award.

Realistic chances of winning: RE4 Remake, Starfield, Legend of Zelda,

In you thread you said only 2 games carrying 2022 which absolutely not true unless you haven’t playing anything other than those 2 games.

But hey if you want limit you option then that’s your choice.
Oh now we're moving goal posts? Please list other titles that you believe are highly talked about and are GOTY worthy? Just because I haven't played other games, doesn't mean I haven't looked into or saw other games lol. There was nothing as significant as GoW Ragnarok and Elden Ring. Calisto Protocol is the only real significant one left and that's not out yet.

Last edited:

Win? Hard to say. STALKER 2 won't be coming out next year. Diablo IV ain't gonna make it because Blizzard lost their way. Alan Wake 2 is unfortunately too niche, Control was on #19 last year. Hollow Knight is also too niche. We don't know nothing about Redfall. Arc Raiders too specific. Fighting games don't tend to get this award, so no Street Fighter. Dead Island? No way a zombie game is getting this award. Also no superhero game. JRPGs also don't tend to get that award.

But a zombie game won GOTY twice already.

Also, i don’t think Hollow Knight is niche…its like the most popular indie games beside Hades. To clarify, we aren’t talking about winning GOTY we are talking about nominated

Last edited:

Gonna book mark your post so I can laugh at you later and make fun of you when the time comes.

Filben

But a zombie game won GOTY twice already.

Also, i don’t think Hollow Knight is niche…its like the most popular indie games beside Hades. To clarify, we aren’t talking about winning GOTY we are talking about nominated
I don't see Dead Island on the same level though and most people probably, too.

As I said, nominated, probably all of them options, given they're really coming out next year.

Gonna book mark your post so I can laugh at you later and make fun of you when the time comes.
Be my guest if that's something you enjoy :)
Gladiator GIF

Last edited:
I don't see Dead Island on the same level though and most people probably, too.

As I said, nominated, probably all of them options, given they're really coming out next year.

Be my guest if that's something you enjoy :)
Gladiator GIF
You are absolutely delusional if you don't believe STALKER 2 is coming next year and 100x even more delusional that is based on what have been shown of Diablo 4 that it won't be a good game. The amount of negativity you have is kind of disgusting. I highly advice you quit the hobby dude, you don't seem to enjoy games.

Danjin44

Oh now we're moving goal posts? Please list other titles that you believe are highly talked about and are GOTY worthy? Just because I haven't played other games, doesn't mean I haven't looked into or saw other games lol. There was nothing as significant as GoW Ragnarok and Elden Ring. Calisto Protocol is the only real significant one left and that's not out yet.
Are we talking about GOTY based social media and VGA shows or are we talking about each gamer having their own GOTY.

These games are my GOTY but I'm sure you couldn't care less about them because they not popular enough in social media.
11207236-11207236
81AS-lQdqfL._AC_SY679_.jpg
6000204642378.jpg

Thats my fucking point you care far more what popular and ignoring other games came out in 2022 because they are not popular enough.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Consult Betty Boop GIF by Fleischer Studios

Voted for a bunch of them, but would like to add System Shock Remake and, in a spike of wishfull thinking, Dragon's Dogma 2, which I'd love for it to be released next year.

Filben

You are absolutely delusional if you don't believe STALKER 2 is coming next year and 100x even more delusional that is based on what have been shown of Diablo 4 that it won't be a good game. The amount of negativity you have is kind of disgusting. I highly advice you quit the hobby dude, you don't seem to enjoy games.
Can't say if serious or not. Where is this coming from?

Not saying these games won't be good games, simply not winning the awards is my guess (as much as its anyone's without our crystal balls).

I sincerely apologise if my opinion signals negativity and/or offends you.

Last edited:

GHG

I went for the following, simply because they are the games I'm most looking forward to:
  • Stalker 2
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong
  • Final fantasy VXI
  • Diablo IV
  • Wo Long
Even though I'm not particularly looking forward to it I also threw in a vote for Spiderman 2 because it will end up being nominated everywhere provided it turns out at least decent. Well, that and Zelda.

Last edited:
Can't say if serious or not. Where is this coming from?

Not saying these games won't be good games, simply not winning the awards is my guess (as much as its anyone's without our crystal balls).
Ok then that's different. The way you worded it sounded extremely negative as if you have 0 hope. You need to be more clear in what you are saying. S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 will be coming next year, is this your assumption because of the Ukraine war? Yeah, it was supposed to be out this year but obviously it didn't had the chance. I know they've been working on it here and there, it will be coming next year unless they get nuked or something god forbid. Not sure why you are not seeing how Diablo 4 won't win any awards though, game has had nothing but positive impressions and good showings. Unless you personally don't like those types of games then to each his own. Zelda will be getting awards no matter what because of blind fanboyism, that's just defualt. Starfield has potential as well and possibly FF 16, don't forget FF7 Rebirth is Winter 2023 too. VERY competitive year.

Those are two completely separate points. A game being more popular or talked about doesn't make it more GOTY worthy. Sure one of those two will likely win GOTY, but that's because GOTY is a subjective opinion based thing, but that doesn't mean other games aren't worthy. Personally I consider Arceus and Dying Light 2 as much better games than Elden Ring (haven't played Ragnarok yet but my opinion will likely be similar to that), why should anybody care what 1 random media company decides is their subjective favorite game of the year?

winjer

Gold Member
My hope is for Stalker 2. But the studio was affected by the war in Ukraine, and I can only hope they can get back on track to make a great game.

Those are two completely separate points. A game being more popular or talked about doesn't make it more GOTY worthy. Sure one of those two will likely win GOTY, but that's because GOTY is a subjective opinion based thing, but that doesn't mean other games aren't worthy. Personally I consider Arceus and Dying Light 2 as much better games than Elden Ring (haven't played Ragnarok yet but my opinion will likely be similar to that), why should anybody care what 1 random media company decides is their subjective favorite game of the year?
Never played Arceus or any pokemon game, so I have no opinion on that. Reviewed Dying Light 2 ahead of its release, it was a decent game but plagued by cross-gen bugs and tech issues. I think Dead Island 2 will be a far better game. No one said what 1 random media company decides should care about or not. But there is a majority opinion that Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok are most likely to win GOTY by media/press and gamers in general, you can see it through their social media postings and conversation that are people having across the internet and in person. No one was shutting anyone down from talking about their "personal" GOTY.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I only selected Tears of the Kingdom, Starfield, Hollow Knight and Spider-Man.

Tears of the Kingdom will win every award. It’ll be a total wipe out.

Starfield will be the best of the rest IMO.

Filben

is this your assumption because of the Ukraine war?
Yes. This war will unfortunately go on for a long time, I reckon. And under these circumstances I'm simply not positive that this game is gonna make it 2023. I've followed the release of the first STALKER game closely for years back then, they developed it for what felt like ten years. These guys take it slow, and again, this not meant in a negative way, purely observational. Of course, they put out the two sequels rather fast, but with STALKER 2 they completely started from the beginning, already took their time, and now canceled pre-orders from what I've heard. And given how much you can give into promises in this industry, a "we're not gonna delay" is simply not much worth it. This might be a negative remark but it's simply from experience. However, if they really manage to release it next year despite these circumstance, more kudos to them.

Of course anything can happen. But I find it unlikely. You and everyone can quote me when I'm wrong. That's okay. I can live with that.

What I'm looking forward to (apart from STALKER 2, of course, as someone who loved the first game), is the RE4 Remake, Alan Wake 2 and many other games and indie games next year.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Starfield
Tears of the Kingdom
STALKER 2
Forza MS
Alan Wake 2
Star Wars

I think Starfield and Zelda will take most of the awards.

Are we talking about GOTY based social media and VGA shows or are we talking about each gamer having their own GOTY.

These games are my GOTY but I'm sure you couldn't care less about them because they not popular enough in social media.
11207236-11207236
81AS-lQdqfL._AC_SY679_.jpg
6000204642378.jpg

Thats my fucking point you care far more what popular and ignoring other games came out in 2022 because they are not popular enough.
I never played any of those games, simply because I never had interest in them. My Switch only really exists for titles like Animal Crossing New Horizon, Smash Bros and Mario games. Bayonetta 3 I heard looks like a original xbox game from the year 2001 so no thanks to that. Triangle Strategy is the only one that looks somewhat interesting. Xenoblade, never tried it so I have no opinion. And these games are actually ARE talked about which further proves my point, but everyone knows they are not of same pedigree as something like Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok.

These are nothing more than solid additions to the bigger dinner course.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Final Fantasy 16 most likely, if it doesn't completely suck ass, which I doubt it will. Game looks ace from pre-views.

RE4 remake looks very good. One of my favorite games of all time so it will be interesting to see if Capcom manages to do it justice. So far, so good, but you never know, Capcom are known to drop the ball from time to time.

Starfield and Legend of Zelda are obviously strong candidates for a GOTY, can't argue with that. Very excited to play them.

If Blasphemous 2 comes out it will most likely to be a contender too. The first game was crazy good and I did four playthroughs of that, including the DLC.

Danjin44

I never played any of those games, simply because I never had interest in them. My Switch only really exists for titles like Animal Crossing New Horizon, Smash Bros and Mario games. Bayonetta 3 I heard looks like a original xbox game from the year 2001 so no thanks to that. Triangle Strategy is the only one that looks somewhat interesting. Xenoblade, never tried it so I have no opinion. And these games are actually ARE talked about which further proves my point, but everyone knows they are not of same pedigree as something like Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok.

These are nothing more than solid additions to the bigger dinner course.
of-course-not-pam.gif

Also “same pedigree”? Based on how popular is in social media?

I enjoyed Elden Ring very much and put 170 hours in to it but I can safely say I enjoyed Bayonetta 3 waaaay more.

Starfield
Spiderman 2
Tears of the Kingdom
Suicide Squad
RE4
Hogwarts Legacy
Jedi Survivor
Stalker 2

Soooo many contenders!

Last edited:
of-course-not-pam.gif

Also “same pedigree”? Based on how popular is in social media?

I enjoyed Elden Ring very much and put 170 hours in to it but I can safely say I enjoyed Bayonetta 3 waaaay more.
I will never understand why Sony or MS never funded Bayonetta. The franchise left to rot and run like complete garbo thanks to the Switch. Very disappointing. I refuse to play a game that has a lot of potential when it is released on an extremely inferior system. Nintendo Consoles are strictly for Mario/Smash/Zelda, anything else on there is irrelevant. I love Monster Hunter but will never play it because Rise is on the switch. Just waiting for Capcom to release a true next-gen MH. MH World was phenomenal and so was Iceborne.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It got unveiled with a shirt, it’s def not coming out next year lol
episode 4 GIF by Star Wars

Nah but seriously, wishfull thinking I know, but my guess is that the game has been in development for some time already. If we consider that the director has been free since DMC V got done, and he teasing a "secret project" being worked on since late 2020, it's easy to think that the game might arrive on late 2023 or early 2024.

It being present on both the Capcom and the Nvidia leaks also kinda add to my argument.

Danjin44

I will never understand why Sony or MS never funded Bayonetta. The franchise left to rot and run like complete garbo thanks to the Switch. Very disappointing. I refuse to play a game that has a lot of potential when it is released on an extremely inferior system. Nintendo Consoles are strictly for Mario/Smash/Zelda, anything else on there is irrelevant. I love Monster Hunter but will never play it because Rise is on the switch. Just waiting for Capcom to release a true next-gen MH. MH World was phenomenal and so was Iceborne.
tumblr_inline_p6m7svJxIV1qzjix8_250.gif
given-up-david-rose.gif

TintoConCasera

I refuse to play a game that has a lot of potential when it is released on an extremely inferior system.
Both Bayo 3 and MH Rise were designed for the Nintendo Switch bro. I agree that the Switch is underpowered, and I would never play a multiplatform title there... But those two? Perfectly playable, and same goes for others like Kirby or Live A Live.

I even was impressed last year with both MH Rise and SMT V, as those games run great and look very cool on the little Switch. A total shame to miss on them just because there are platforms capable of pulling out better graphics.

episode 4 GIF by Star Wars

Nah but seriously, wishfull thinking I know, but my guess is that the game has been in development for some time already. If we consider that the director has been free since DMC V got done, and he teasing a "secret project" being worked on since late 2020, it's easy to think that the game might arrive on late 2023 or early 2024.

It being present on both the Capcom and the Nvidia leaks also kinda add to my argument.

I’m still waiting on Pragmata, which they’ve gone completely silent on since the initial trailer

dd093c4d81599e0c153ac125d782aa69252d7022.gif

Top Bottom