• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA buys Codemasters for $1.2 billion

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Sell 2 million F1 21 games - success for Codemasters, disappointing returns for the EA shareholders so you’ll have to be closed down.

Or pay to win iOS / Google store F1 games incoming.

Last edited:

Welp. There goes Dirt Rally. I give them 5 years after they add loot boxes to their games before Codemasters disappears.

CAPSOL

Jeff the Engineer: Your tires are worn, please box when you can

pop up: It will cost you $2.99 per tire. Proceed to pit?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Let's put that way.... EA had to pay that due the IPs the company owns.

Dizzy
Micro Machines
TOCA
Colin McRae Rally
Operation Flashpoint
F1
Project Cars
Grid
Dirt
Overload
Brian Lara
Cannon Fooder

I mean I just listed the top of the iceberg.

I guess EA payed talent because Codies have a lot of it. And just as recently released Dirt 5 pretty much tanked all their other titles usually underperform.

EA’s marketing will try their best to make F1 be like FIFA and sell amounts that will make sense considering huge worldwide following of the sport. Personally, looking forward to future WRC games, their rally driving model is very good.

Man, I doubt Codemasters have that much value under their belt to be bought by that price, but EA is EA, after all, they do dumb things.

I don't know where this will lead but we might see more milking from their IPs under EA's leadership.

RIP Codemasters, I guess?

adamosmaki

HrFhTj4.jpg

Hudo

Dirt Rally 2021, Grid 2021, F1 2021 coming soon, folks.

For F1 2021, you can get additional drivers, components and tracks via microtransactions.

Also, Operation Flashpoint 3 made by DICE, completely missing what made the first game great and turning into Not-Battlefield.

Last edited:
I fear EA will force consolidation of all ths studios under Codemasters. Likely dedicate 2 studios to a yearly crunch of F1 + WRC. And max 1-2 racing titles other than that, likely some stupid arcade racers that will fail as EA always does in this space.

Dirt Rally 3 is hopefully well enough under way and in safe distance of the WRC 2023 license that it will be released.

mcz117chief

Damn, now there is maybe hope for Red Hammer to finally release digitally on Steam or something. I never played it and I really wish I could.

mcz117chief

Also, Operation Flashpoint 3 made by DICE, completely missing what made the first game great and turning into Not-Battlefield.
I would like to see them try. ARMA 3 is an insane game. Sometimes it can be good but mostly it is garbage. I would know, I am in an outfit for almost 2 years now and most of the time we are fighting bugs more than the enemies and I mean that seriously, no hyperbole. Enemies turning invincible, invisible, disappearing, appearing in the air, spawning without ai, vehicles exploding, triggers being busted, loadouts not working, physics fucking up. Ooof, there are a lot of issues with ARMA 3 and we are waiting for any game to provide us with decent 40k mods so we can move over. The flexibility of ARMA 3 is incredible, but at what cost.

Hudo

I would like to see them try. ARMA 3 is an insane game. Sometimes it can be good but mostly it is garbage. I would know, I am in an outfit for almost 2 years now and most of the time we are fighting bugs more than the enemies and I mean that seriously, no hyperbole. Enemies turning invincible, invisible, disappearing, appearing in the air, spawning without ai, vehicles exploding, triggers being busted, loadouts not working, physics fucking up. Ooof, there are a lot of issues with ARMA 3 and we are waiting for any game to provide us with decent 40k mods so we can move over. The flexibility of ARMA 3 is incredible, but at what cost.
Yeah, I believe you. I observed ARMA 3 from a distance, full of awe and wonder what the game can do and what people can do with it, including the hilarious/frustrating bugs and glitches. If I could, I would somehow combine the technical competencies of DICE with the sheer madness of Bohemia Interactive.

Saber

Gold Member
You guys better say your best wishes for Codemasters. Because now they gonna be gone for good.

Which is a shame.

mcz117chief

Yeah, I believe you. I observed ARMA 3 from a distance, full of awe and wonder what the game can do and what people can do with it, including the hilarious/frustrating bugs and glitches. If I could, I would somehow combine the technical competencies of DICE with the sheer madness of Bohemia Interactive.
Bohemia Interactive are like Call of Duty devs. They have one formula, one style and think they can milk it forever. The difference is that Call of Duty is simple so screwing it up is almost impossible unless you just make it unfun. Arma games are basically Operation Flashpoint with layer after layer of more shit on top. The whole thing is held together by scotch tape and staplers, it feels like it will explode at any minute whenever you play it. Insanely janky and problematic. They need to downscale the game A LOT and start fresh with a new engine and development philosophy.

drotahorror

A lot of doom and gloom in here, and definitely warranted due to how EA has treated some of their companies and IP's.

BUT, Take-Two was originally going to buy Codemasters. That would have been a very big disaster, much worse than an EA buyout...right? I think?

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
On a plus side, EA don't let their racing game licences expire. You can still buy NFS games from generations ago. This means that GRID and Dirt games will stick around for longer.

zombrex

i imagine they see their games have huge potential for the inclusion of micro transactions and loot box esque additions. They would not be wrong. They will bank if they start including such elements in the games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
EA buys a developer that has solid but not earth shattering sales.

Said developer will probably post solid but not earth shattering sales.

EA will then shut them down for solid but not earth shattering sales.

The logic is lost on me.

100% THIS! I don't get it. Who's running EA?

Javthusiast

Banned
They will churn out Need For Speeds year after year as main developer, until many people will leave and the studio will become just a support studio for Need For Speeds, Battlefields and Fifas. xD

Obviously their F1 racing game now will include Ultimate Team MTX.

It's good as an Xbox gamer since ultimate has ea play and most of the games would automatically come under its umbrella
But I feel like I'm about to vomit when I think f1 going in the direction of fifa , and p2w type of modes in dirt games

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
That seems really expensive. Sony bought Insomniac Games for less that a fifth of that amount.

Not sure why EA wants them, it's not like their games sell crazy amounts.

$1.2B for Codemasters makes $7B for Zenimax, $2.5B for Minecraft and $229M for Insomniac look like the greatest deals in gaming history.

When you look at the games Insomniac has made over the years, what in the world has Codemasters produced that makes them worth 5 times more? To me it seems like the sale of Codemasters would be more in the ballpark of Insomniac. Really it should be even less than that.

I don't get this deal at all.

Top Bottom