• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2023 Has Been Canceled

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This industry is such fucking trash now my good, everh game takes ten years to make and companies dont want you to care about their line ups it seems

Fuck every company that killed the excitement in this industry
Most people here demanding high tech graphics and people shit on games like FFXVI and Tears of Kindom because it’s not high tech enough, what exactly are you expecting?

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is all Sony's fault.

Not even kidding.

They are the reason we are stuck with blog posts and tweets for all announcements now.

Soon as they pulled out it E3 immediately started to lose its relevance.

Covid didnt help either. 4 years after Sony decided they were too cool for E3, its officially DEAD.
They embarrassingly run late to their own conference every year so of course a recorded video is less embarrassing.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
nooo GIF

Can't imagine anyone being happy with this news. Like, you want that Summer Dorito Game Mountain Dew Shit lasting for 3 months instead of 3 packed days with tons of announcement and gameplay ????

hemo memo

Gold Member
Gonna miss E3, i don't get why people hate it, its the gamers' carnival moment where everybody gives their best shot and a truckload of games are announced and previewed.
People don’t hate it. Companies do because of cost and because they are forced on a yearly schedule instead of their favorite game guess the date.

Zephyrus0

Banned
meh. Nintendo direct, microsoft/bethesda show and sony's state of play are more than enough for me. Atleast it skips the awkwardness and goes straight to announcements

Fake trailers, cringe and/or garbage shit, and lies are no longer sustainable? I am shocked. Good riddance. E3 was like a toxic relationship. Hot but horrible.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Most people here demanding high tech graphics and people shit on games like FFXVI and Tears of Kindom because it’s not high tech enough, what exactly are you expecting?
Thats not my problem, they had this figured out on the xbox 360 where they could make a brand new game in 2 years. Not every game needs to be some shitty open worlg gaas, we need more 8/10 hour triple a experiences like we used to get. The ones that capcom and insomniac can make in a reasonable amount of time, but the rest of the industry seems to be content sitting with their thumbs up their ass for 8 years until they release a shitty destiny clone that gets shut down one year later

I've noticed that over half of this forum seems to be filled with many over entitled children who cry every time when something doesn't go their way. They never want to take things into considering such as the pandemic delaying the entire industry, game development itself and technological breakthroughs. It seems that they know everything, how to manage a company, how to invest money and how to make games with a press of a button. It's quite a circus I tell you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Time to just pack it up. E3's were great though. Ya, you got some filler crap wasting time, but in general when a game is presented it's sure more exciting than a canned video which game makers now do.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
It wasn't as bad as The Game Awards, but i don't miss this cringe stuff. Only watched the trailers the day after anyways.

Batiman

Banned
That sucks. No other shows or presentations were ever as hype since the big 3 stopped having a showing all together. I’m more of an Xbox guy but Sony had the best E3 moments and all their shows after they left were never as good.

None of these companies have anything worth showing anyway.

Looter shooter 122876
Everwild
State of Decay 3
Hellblade 2
Fable
Gears of War 6
Spiderman 2
Wolverine
Starfield
The Outer Worlds 2
Avowed
Elder Scrolls 6
Blizzards Survival Game
FF7 Rebirth
Naughty Dog New Game
Kingdom Hearts 4
IO interactive Dragon Game
Dragone Age 4
Mass Effect Reboot

You are 100% correct, so many looters shooters...

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
This is all Sony's fault.

Not even kidding.

They are the reason we are stuck with blog posts and tweets for all announcements now.

Soon as they pulled out it E3 immediately started to lose its relevance.

Covid didnt help either. 4 years after Sony decided they were too cool for E3, its officially DEAD.
This also made MS more conservative with what they brought as well. The drip feed of announcements scattered to smaller shows instead just putting it all out there at E3. It’s been less exciting for all platforms since then.

E3 was dead when Sony dropped out for good. I had to laugh when people kept telling me it wasn't dead and would be just as strong without Sony. Sure.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That sucks. No other shows or presentations were ever as hype since the big 3 stopped having a showing all together. I’m more of an Xbox guy but Sony had the best E3 moments and all their shows after they left were never as good.
It's too bad since they basically just all just followed the leader quitting.

Nintnedo started it off bailing around the Wii U era. Their shows were so bad and Wii U was such a disaster, they bailed. Sony and MS continued on with traditional shows, but then Sony bailed after that god awful banquet hall E3 show where they spent time with music bits. Covid came around finishing it off for everyone as game makers had to focus on streaming their own shows due to it being cancelled. And because of that game makers just said fuck it, well just stream a one hour show that was pretaped a week before.

MagnesD3

This is sad, I blame the bloated younger audience that didn't comprehend why e3 was a good thing even if it wasn't a perfect thing and instead memed wanting it to die. Oh well.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Well it was never needed, comic con isn't needed. The trend of the industry is about primarily $$$ now, there used to be some naive goofy love for games and hosting fun shit for awhile, but as the medium became more mainstream it accumulated more mainstream business logic.

E3 was always about making money. It was never just some goofy folks trying to have a good old time.

Power Pro

Another sign that the industry has become more about its capital gains than love for the games.

Its not supposed to be this complicated. E3 was a cool event that we could look forward to that showcased and revealed new steps in the medium. Was supposed to be just fun.

E3 also held the devs and companies sort of accountable, they had to have SOMETHING. Looks like these days they know they are on bullshit and dont want to be held accountable for their lack of output. So e3 is a stress to them now.

I also think gamers are lying to themselves when they act like this is a positive lol like its better to have nothing.
Truth. I got into an argument on discord recently on this subject, and it must've been full of kids who didn't know any better. Like they didn't understand why I would care about game trailers or why can't I just see the reveals all year round. E3 centralized things in a way where I didn't have to be glued to a twitter feed, or some other bull shit 24/7 in case MAYBE something gets revealed. It was better to have an event also where shit just all happened at once. I could focus on my hobby during a specific time of year. Find out about upcoming games, and consoles more than a couple months before release was nice. I actually miss the marketing of games as they were coming along. The trailers for Metal Gear games were something I'll always remember fondly.

I kinda hate the new approach where everything is "Here's the announcement: okay, it's gonna be out in a couple months, have your money ready" it's like, mother fucker, give me some time to save up first, especially with the rising costs of hardware. Or with the bull shit CEs that sell out right away because of scalpers.

Like someone else in the thread said, this industry hates it's audience. And like you said, it was good to have E3 because it did get developers having to delivery SOMETHING...instead they sit behind closed doors, taking years and only showing a game right before it comes out, and then games come out broken, because they never got feedback on how bad it looked during an initial reveal or something. Sometimes it helps to have public eyes on something so they can point out what needs to be fixed that they developers might have been just too close and blind to see.

Justin9mm

I'm going to chalk this up to bad management. The gaming industry is one of the biggest in the world and no one once a year can put on one big show for the world to celebrate gaming and the community. I think it comes down to people not knowing how to promote this to the industry internally, and it also comes down to the gaming industry and all the big wigs not caring enough about the gamers, the ones who line their pockets.

Yoboman

The extravagance of E3 was really unmatched it's sad that it is going. E3 must truly be a corrupt organisation for everyone to have quit on them, seems Sony quitting didn't give them the message?

Things like Comic con are not losing any relevance though, they are only getting bigger. Something will replace this

If I were building a new E3 for the modern era it would be a week long:
  • Have panels for everyone like Comic con rather than stage shows. Bring on devs and cast in a more grounded environment, drop trailers and gameplay and fan questions
    • Eg instead of a Sony showcase you might get the Last of Us panel covering the games and TV
    • For Nintendo you would have a Zelda panel
    • Microsoft could host a mergers and acquisitions panel
  • Take the emphasis off perfectly curated CG trailers and more on gameplay showcases.
  • Have live bands and orchestras that people can go see between panels
  • Have a huge eSports component with the industries biggest prize for the 2-3 biggest current games
  • Have an actual streamed portion of the E3 awards at the end
"Geoff sitting on a couch and announcing trailers" just doesn't cut it for what the scale of the industry is

Top Bottom