• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2016 rumor and unannounced game recap thread

Tratorn

If it's true, I'm really happy that Sony didn't waste their first party / sucker punch for a Spider Man game. Though there would be much better things to do for Insomniac as well...

hype-dance-o.gif

what thing and what source?

a AAA Spiderman game made by Insomniac

Pennywise

Strange? Not really. Studios like Sucker Punch and Insomniac are hot candidates to make awesome superhero games.

Was seriously expecting it to be Sucker Punch.
Well Insomniac would be also a great choice, as long as it isn't VR.

Curious to see what Sucker Punch will bring to the stage then.

Spiderman by Insomniac?

Weird as shit. So glad it's not SuckerPunch, but when he said it, it sounded so spurious.

The weirdest things can come true I guess. We'll have to wait and see.

That's WEIRD.

dEvAnGeL

Spiderman by Insomniac?

Weird as shit. So glad it's not SuckerPunch, but when he said it, it sounded so spurious.

The weirdest things can come true I guess. We'll have to wait and see.

That's WEIRD.

if sunset overdrive is anything to go by a spiderman game made by insomniac would be immensely cool

Activision no longer owns rights to Spiderman.

Sony is getting Insomniac to make a Spiderman game based off the movie rights.

Do I have that right?

Hexa

Activision no longer owns rights to Spiderman.

Sony is getting Insomniac to make a Spiderman game based off the movie rights.

Do I have that right?

First part is true.
"Sony is getting Insomniac to make a Spiderman game" is what was leaked earlier in this thread.
"Based off the movie rights" I cant seem to find the origin for. Is this just speculation?

icespide

Banned
First part is true.
"Sony is getting Insomniac to make a Spiderman game" is what was leaked earlier in this thread.
"Based off the movie rights" I cant seem to find the origin for. Is this just speculation?

Sony would only be able to make a spider-man game based on movies

Hexa

I don't think I understand this situation that well. I thought Disney got the rights back to the games and could licence it out to whoever at this point?
If that's wrong, can you explain to me the rights situation in more detail?

doesn't have to be a new IP. Could be Sly 5.

They just build a mocap studio so almost assuredly not Sly. Or at least, that's not all they're working on.

shingi70

Banned
Shame about a Spider-man game being exclusive. You'd think marvel wouldn't allow that.

Guess a neo purchase is in the cards.

Boke1879

Crazy to think Sony got insomniac to make the great R&C and now Spider-man game for them. I hope Insomniac is really pulling out all the stops for it. We need a good spidey game.

What are the chances that the Insomniac Spiderman game is actually gonna be revealed at E3 and not another time? Is it ready?

Activision never "had the rights" anyway, they just had a specific licensing agreement with Marvel, and later Disney Interactive. Otherwise the X-Men Arcade release, Marvel Nemesis, or Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3 couldn't have happened.

It's like Star Wars. Disney says they've got an agreement with EA so EA can go off and make Star Wars with relative freedom, but if, say, Namco made a pitch to go whole hog and do a Star Wars fighting game, Disney could probably sign off on that without EA getting involved.

icespide

Banned
Sony has the rights to make video games based off of their own movies, which includes spider-man

Non-movie spider-man games would be under Disney's discretion

I find it just as weird they've got an exclusive Spiderman game.

I'd find an Insomniac Spiderman like pretty damn weird. But it being exclusive is just too much. Weirdness.

If this isn't true, I hope there's something equally out of the blue that actually does happen.

icespide

Banned
I find it just as weird they've got an exclusive Spiderman game.

I'd find an Insomniac Spiderman like pretty damn weird. But it being exclusive is just too much. Weirdness.

If this isn't true, I hope there's something equally out of the blue that actually does happen.

I still find it hard to believe, but a well done spider-man game would be a pretty cool exclusive to have

Why's that? Last I heard Activision was the one with the rights to the Spider-Man movie-tie games until 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision made a deal to give back the rights or something but the simplest conclusion is that Sony is licensing a Spider-Man game directly from Disney that I'm sure will release close to when the movie releases but probably won't be a tie in. Not to mention Sony and Disney have been close this generation and Sony Pictures and Disney are obviously in business together with the Spider-Man movie franchise.

Insomniac on Spider-Man sounds utterly insane. Like, I'm not against it at all, but it just sounds bonkers. I'd somehow managed to get the Sucker Punch rumours to make sense... But Insomniac?

Weird.

icespide

Banned
Why's that? Last I heard Activision was the one with the rights to the Spider-Man movie-tie games until 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision made a deal to give back the rights or something but the simplest conclusion is that Sony is licensing a Spider-Man game directly from Disney that I'm sure will release close to when the movie releases but probably won't be a tie in.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/activision-marvels-partnership-comes-end/#:u-v0u1RHZnR0gA

Activision deal with marvel is done

ya never know, Sony and Disney seem particularly chummy lately with the Spidey MCU deal so maybe they worked out a deal to do a non-movie game, but that's just pure speculation

Top Bottom