• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 [OT] - Bigger, Better, Buildier!

McCheese

23d8ed5d85fe9ca8142a383d4f0e3656_KR_738.jpg

Trailer (FMV, not in-game footage)

Back of the Box

DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2 is a block-building role-playing game with a charming single player campaign and a robust multiplayer building mode that supports up to four players online. Create your customized character, team-up with your fearless friend Malroth, gather the skills required to become a full-fledged builder, and combat the Children of Hargon, a vile cult that worships destruction! Then, take your builder online and join your friends to collaborate and create something truly magnificent. Don't let the name fool you, despite the 2, this is a completely standalone experience featuring new characters, an expansive world, unlimited building combinations, and a storyline that's sure to satisfy longtime fans and newcomers alike! Story The evil Children of Hargon are determined to eradicate all creators and have outlawed the building, cooking, and creation of all things. In an attempt to spread their destructive dogma, the calamitous cult captures the builders of the world. All hope seems to be lost until you, a young apprentice builder, manage to escape from the clutches of evil. After washing up on the shores of the deserted Isle of Awakening, you encounter the spirited Malroth, a mysterious youth with no memory of his past. With the help of your fearless new friend, you embark on a grand adventure to gather the skills required to become a full-fledged builder, but the road you build is paved with peril. Only you can defeat the Children of Hargon, uncover the secrets of Malroth's past, and unravel the riddles of this mysterious land.

--------

Info

Website
Publisher: Square Enix (PS4), Nintendo (Switch)
Developer: Square Enix (helped by Omega Force).
Platforms: PS4, Switch
Release Date: December 2018 in Japan, July 12th (Today!) everywhere else.
Game Size: 2.2GB (PS4), 1.60 GB (Switch)

--------

George Doors On the Scores

OpenCritic: 85
Metacritic (PS4): 86
Metacritic (Switch): 86

---------

IGN [8.8]

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is an admirable RPG and an admirable building game that seems to have gotten the best bits of both of its parent genres.

Eurogamer [Recommended]

The Minecraft and Dragon Quest mash-up gets refined for the sequel, with a few other outside influences helping make it a laid-back joy.

The Guardian [4/5]

Like Minecraft but with more constraints, this gentle, humorous adventure game mixes world-building with exploration, puzzle-solving and combat

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I am about two hours in on Switch. It's pretty great. About what you'd expect if you played the original.

I like how the stories are directly tied to the first and second NES games.

It is odd how so many great Japanese games like this completely ignore the Xbox with absolutely no incentive from Sony or Nintendo to do so. I wonder if Microsoft is even making efforts to incentivize publishers to change this.

Last edited:

McCheese

Sorry, had to punch 5 other threads to bits in order to make this OT.

Picked this up on a whim, I heard some really good word-of-mouth reviews for the first one and it sounded like the direction they took this sequel in makes it even better suited for me (NPC's who follow you and fight, no more item durability to worry about).

About 4 hours in so far.

Man the game starts slow, lots of tutorial-based tasks which unfortunately you cannot really rush despite their simplicity. I know how to put a block down, stop giving me 3 more quests which are all variations of 'put a block down'!

Thankfully after the first couple of hours the game really opens up, and In a way, I'm glad they did bombard me with the tutorials as there is so much to do, and it would be easy to get flustered if it wasn't for the quests giving you some direction to go in.

Music is charming, Graphics are lovely, characters seem interesting enough. Definitely getting a Dragon Quest vibe from it. So far it feels like bits of Minecraft, dragon quest and harvest moon smelted together. Most of the time this seems to work really well, but there are obvious trade-offs where they've had to simplify things, combat, for example, is Minecraft style rather than dragon quest, which is a bit too simple for my tastes. But it has items you can make, and NPC's you can equip them to etc, the town building seems quite deep in how the NPC's react etc, planting scare-crows to mark land as farmable, and watching them come and farm it. It's very cute.

Will update in a few days once I've got further in.

sublimit

Banned
Thanks for the OT OP. :)
Definitely getting the game but not right away since i'm currently trying to finish some important games from my backlog.

I loved the first game (although i still need to finish the last 2 missions of the final chapter) and i think the 2nd one will be even much,much better. I'm not a fan of Minecraft at all so i think that fans who just want to play a Dragon Quest with building mechanics will really enjoy this.
The demo was a bit boring though and they should have allowed us to transfer more than just the tutorial to the main game.
Man the game starts slow, lots of tutorial-based tasks which unfortunately you cannot really rush despite their simplicity. I know how to put a block down, stop giving me 3 more quests which are all variations of 'put a block down'!
Yeah the first one was also like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Fuz

Banned
Man, I hate japanese games for this.
Western games have evolved from that, but japs? NOPE, let's annoy the players with extremely long, unskippable, pedantic, obvious tutorials that often remove control from them (and other shit like unskippable cutscene after a save point & before a boss). Anachronistic.

Last edited:

Barnabot

I've heard around that Switch's framerate is somewhat 30 fps unlocked so I don't know if it's gonna really play as smooth as anyone wanted it to be.

Picked this up yesterday and just had a good hour to play it. I really like how they got rid of damage from bumping into enemies though. How the game handles also feels a bit less janky than the original also. Looking forward to playing a bit more later, thanks for the OT McCheese McCheese

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i just finished the first huge part.
about to set off to part 2.

game is a blast, and on handheld it runs just fine on switch,
at times dipping framerate in late chapter build towns.

But i really don't mind that handheld mode is such a big plus,

The only thing i don't like is the slow start and the godawful dumb as hell translation they did,
These dumb written English dialects need to die.
It's annoying as hell.

4QGamers

This game is for 7+ year olds and up. So I give them a pass on the tutorial and hand holding. Unskippable scenes? Maybe so kids who have fidgety hands don't accidentally skip scenes and end up crying about it. I dunno. Maybe they should implement a child mode and an adult mode if my assumptions for their reasoning behind all of this is correct.

Spukc

dqb i a like a hybrid mix between terraria and minecraft .

i think that is the best i can tell you

Iorv3th

I played 4 or so hours so far. Really liking it. I got it on switch. Played a lot of the first on ps4 but never finished it. I can see myself sticking with this one for a while especially with it being portable.

The translation is pretty terrible though. So much meme shit in it.

Spukc

I played 4 or so hours so far. Really liking it. I got it on switch. Played a lot of the first on ps4 but never finished it. I can see myself sticking with this one for a while especially with it being portable.

The translation is pretty terrible though. So much meme shit in it.
thanks for reminding me again about the MeMeS

nocsi

Games been amazing so far, a lot of parts feel very BoTW spirited. Also, the only way to play on Switch is to do portable-only. Docked has some fucked-up resolution/frame rate that makes it very nauseating for me

Which is Better in create worlds.?

DQB 1

DQB 2

Minecraft

Dragon Quest Builders 2 has a lot of automation integrated in it. Things you'd normally do manually, you can actually setup to be performed by your villagers. Like if you designate farming fields for only certain fruit, and put seeds in a nearby chest. They'll automate all that for you. Same thing with blueprints if you wanted. Some of the player worlds you can visit are already intensely zany and I have no idea how these people have created them already.

My question is, when do you get the Builder Pencil so you can convert buildings in player's islands into blueprints? I'm looking to steal creations

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm progressing through the second world now.

I say this game is muuuuuch bigger than the first and it fixes some of my issues such as:
- No more breakable weapons.
- Someone can fight with you.
- You don't need to store stuff to a chest manually, you'll have a second inventory to keep all your stuff there.

McCheese

Figured I'd come back and post some impressions now I'm more hours in, I think I've got a much better idea of what the game "is" after 10 or so hours, and what it isn't.

The world is basically handcrafted Minecraft, so they've procedurally generated a pretty vast open space, and then let the gameplay designers loose on that to come up with quests, hidden locations and so forth. So while it looks like Minecraft, it plays much more like Zelda. Especially how you unlock new abilities that allow you to more easily explore areas which you couldn't reach before. In a way that's an odd choice, as part of the joy of Minecraft is the "you can go anywhere" approach, but it makes sense that they find ways of limiting your exploration in this one in order to aid gameplay progression.

Each world is pretty huge, you certainly wouldn't want to walk it (there are fast travel points). Occasionally you find a puzzle shrine which I absolutely love, as they come with no instructions at all and rely on you to figure out what it wants you to do. They start off stupidly simple, looks like a pond? try filling it with water etc. But later on they are devilishly difficult but once you figure them out they seem so obvious, think classic point and click puzzle type stuff.

The worlds themselves are separated into zones, different creatures, plants, and resources can be found in their respective zone, so if you need a particular resource you need to look up in your little pokedex type thing to see if you've found the creature which drops it, and where it is on the map, some items are rarer than others and require more work to hunt down and obtain.

Once you have materials, you can do a few things with them. The first of is crafting things by combining items together, unfortunately crafting requires a recipe, and these tend to just unlock at key points in the game, or when you complete missions. But I'm only like 10 hours in and have about 200 recipes for various items already, I'm sure some of the best recipes are probably hidden away in the late-game somewhere.

Secondly, you can cook some of them - cooking is a bit more freestyle and lets you discover recipes just by chucking things on fire, but this doesn't feel partially deep or challenging.

The third thing you can make are building blocks or tile items, some are just nice little decorative items, but others are needed in order to build specific things.

The building, like crafting, seems to require blueprints which you unlock primarily via story progression. But once you have a blueprint you'll then need to find all the items you need to craft the relevant blocks or items, then once you have all these, you just "Minecraft" them together and voila, you've made a little room. This part of the game is really well done and seems to offer way more depth than it appears to have at face value.

Basically you put flooring down and then some walls, and depending on the size of the space this creates an extra small, smalll, medium (etc etc..) room, then by decorating that room with certain items it'll become a specific type of room (e.g. storeroom), I think you can figure some out without the blueprints, but due to there being so many combinations I don't think you're likely to stumble upon many by sheer luck. (e.g. one requires a small room, with 3 fires, a chest, 1 stack of hay and a shovel), plus the recipes for construction the items are story locked most of the time anyway so even if you did know-how, you couldn't make the parts yet.

Now this is where things get interesting, as I almost didn't buy the game as I couldn't see the appeal of 'single-player minecraft', but your town has villagers in it (more come as you progress the story), and despite them looking like cute generic JRPG townsfolk, they don't just wander in random patterns. They have a whole day-night cycle, and depending on what you've built, find themselves jobs and help out with the upkeep of the town.

So if you make a kitchen, one might become a cook and start taking the items you put in the chests and making food (which goes on the tables), or if you turn some of the lands into farmlands, then they may pick up tools from the tool shed and help replant seeds and water them for you.

It's great, I just rock up into town like a superstar, plonk my items I've gathered into a chest. And watch them scurry around like busy ants doing all the monotonous jobs for me. I also like how they'll only do things you've already figured out for yourself, so if you discover a new food recipe, and put items in a chest, they'll be able to make that food to from then on.

Now there are some smoke and mirrors involved, like how your town only ever seems to be invaded when you are in it (or nearby), but I guess they are trying to get you, the builder, and it would be annoying as hell if you had to keep returning to it, so i'll let it off. But it does seem to always do the AI stuff even when you are away from it, so you come back after exploring and can see they've been busy.

I think that's what I enjoy the most, how the game has this constant feel of progression. You choose to explore? you find some new items or do some new shrines, you choose to stay in town and improve things? your citizens become more useful and reward you with little hearts, or obviously you can crack on with the main story missions, and progress the plot forward. It's impossible to play this game and "waste" your time, which is nice.

Downsides so far are probably that the combat is dull, I tend to just loot and let my sidekick do the dirty work now, and the game has no real difficulty, if you die you just go back to base, which can mean it's an annoying trek having to find where you were again, but nothing is ever really on the line.

So far I'm feeling like it's probably a 9/10 game, just because of the town stuff. I've ranted for ages and haven't even gone on about how complex some of the other town systems are yet, just the farming part is up with say, harvest moon, in terms of mechanics, having to make irrigation networks etc.

Loving it so far

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Thanks for your impressions guys. It does sound a lot like the first game in terms of overall design and basic progression which is good i guess.

But i really hope they fixed one important aspect of the first game that really annoyed me.
In the first game i hated that in the end of every small story chapter monsters would come to your town and tried to destroy it and especially during the end of the bigger story chapter there would always be a boss battle that would absolutely destroy your town regardless of how well you defended it. That aspect IMO contradicted with the very nature of the game and forced you not to make too detailed and complicated towns because in the end they would get destroyed and you'd never return to them anyway since in the next big story chapter you would always move to a new world starting fresh.

Is there something similar in terms of progression in this game (bosses coming and destroying your towns) and having to start fresh once again?

M.W.

Yeah I didn't know anything about these games prior to two days ago when I watched GBs quick look and it piqued my interest. I'm not a Minecraft fan at all but I at least decided to try the demo. Holy fuck is this good. I was looking for something different to play this summer, I found it.

nocsi

It's gg once you get the green pencil tool. I've been going to people's islands and straight-up converting their buildings into blueprints. Separately, I've been doing the various small islands and taming monsters. Just picked up a bronze Golem last night

Shelbutt

I dunno how many hours I have into it but so far i'm to: the second island, just finished 'fixing the mine' and 'fixing the bar' joint quest
I LOVE THIS GAME.
Most of the gripes I had from the first one I feel were fixed or improved upon, I'm on the switch so I get the occasional lag but I'm not complaining, I knew what I was getting myself into when I decided between it and PS4.
I love the way you upgrade things now, how it's story based. I love that you get your own island at the beginning instead of at the end of the whole thing like the first one, and it doesn't really have any impact.

Over all, I'm in love with this game and wish I had more time to play it

Top Bottom