• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II: No overhead view on PC, no toolset, audience is on consoles

daycru said:
I think it's more LOL'ing at people who refer to themselves as "the master race".

Only idiots continue to use that stupid meme and it was always meant as a bad and tasteless joke. Its run its course and I'll be glad to see the back of it.

P.S. I've never once used it.

It was created by Yhatzi ffs, if you took it seriously then the joke's on you.

The PC is objectively the best gaming platform if you have the time, money and inclination to invest in it, consumers should be demanding more of the perks of traditional PC gaming for the console space not rejoicing when the last bastion of them loses them as well. Shittier products should never be celebrated and when people are laying down good money they have every right to bitch and make their feelings heard when they get shat upon. The PC version of Dragon Age was a fiancial success, like Starcraft 2 PC gamers bought it because it made good use of the unique quirks of the platform, of course people are going to be pissed when they see that faith they placed in that product en masse dismissed in the blink of an eye.

Baki

I remember BioWare saying that since COD sells 20M+. They want to sell 10M units of their next game.

Looks like this is how they plan to do it. :lol :lol I can only laugh at how jaded and stupid this is.

PS: Its quite possible that PS360 SKU sales of DA: Origins 2 sold more than PC SKU. Although I'm going to assume that the PC SKU was the highest selling SKU.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why don't they leave the camera alone and go back to working on economizing words. Bioware are such marble mouths nowadays.

This is unfortunate news. I bought the first on PC and could not stand playing it in anything but isometric view. Guess I will be passing on this one then. Hopefully news coming out in the future will revitalize my interest.

Blizzard

Banned
DennisK4 said:
:lol GAF never forgets anything. That was like eight months ago - how did you remember his post?
I asked my friend
the Google
. At any rate it was no big deal, I just wondered if he'd ever mentioned it in one of his posts.

On the thread's topic, I've never played Dragon Age but I really liked the KOTOR games, and it is a shame if Bioware is headed in this direction. Given the response from the Bioware guy, though, I think it's best to wait until a few months after release and see if the camera and toolkit are as bad and unsupported as some seem to fear.

brain_stew said:
Only idiots continue to use that stupid meme and it was always meant as a bad and tasteless joke. Its run its course and I'll be glad to see the back of it.

P.S. I've never once used it.

It was created by Yhatzi ffs, if you took it seriously then the joke's on you.

The PC is objectively the best gaming platform if you have the time, money and inclination to invest in it, consumers should be demanding more of the perks of traditional PC gaming for the console space not rejoicing when the last bastion of them loses them as well. Shittier products should never be celebrated and when people are laying down good money they have every right to bitch and make their feelings heard when they get shat upon. The PC version of Dragon Age was a fiancial success, like Starcraft 2 PC gamers bought it because it made good use of the unique quirks of the platform, of course people are going to be pissed when they see that faith they placed in that product en masse dismissed in the blink of an eye.

it's objectively better? I prefer sitting back on a couch with a controller. sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse isn't relaxing. so at the upper end the graphics may be a bit better on certain games (most games don't utilize beyond what the consoles can offer). what if I don't even care.

in gens passed I was always looking for better graphics. 360/ps3 are at a place now where I am rather content with what kind of graphics the systems can offer. 3D video games have matured. I'm in no rush to push it to the max; the 360 and ps3 both can run extremely extremely good looking games if the developer chooses to put the work in. what percentage of games really take advantage of what the 5 year old 360 can even do now? not very many. the killer apps; for the most part, developers are lazy. why do we need more computing power if the developers aren't going to be putting the work in to use it? that's why the 360 is good for another 5 years.

and universally panned combat on the console dragon age? really? I thought dragon age played very well on my 360. I had very few complaints with teh gameplay or controller.

Boonoo

HorribleJames said:
it's objectively better? I prefer sitting back on a couch with a controller.

You can do that on your PC, too.
And that you're content with mediocre graphics and image quality has nothing to do with whether or not they're objectively better on the PC

HorribleJames said:
it's objectively better? I prefer sitting back on a couch with a controller. sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse isn't relaxing. so at the upper end the graphics may be a bit better on certain games (most games don't utilize beyond what the consoles can offer). what if I don't even care.

You tell him dude. I mean LOL at those PC noobs. It's not like you can hook your PC up to a TV and use the same controller but with better graphics and free online play.

LOL

Zeliard

Cheech said:
I'm not 12.

What am I "trolling" exactly? I guess I am trolling whiners, if anybody. I've been playing nothing but Starcraft 2 since launch, so I'm not one of "those" people.

My point is, people losing their collective crap about this announcement without seeing the new third person mechanic is dumb. Some concern is understandable, but the crying and wailing is totally unnecessary. Bioware is not a developer known for uneven quality in their games.

:lol

Fantastic joke.

Salacious Crumb

HorribleJames said:
it's objectively better? I prefer sitting back on a couch with a controller. sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse isn't relaxing.

If only there was a way to plug a PC into a television, and just imagine if you could use console control pads on that PC. Man, that would be the greatest gaming platform ever

You bitch about the master race joke and then you pull this card?

Owzers

jim-jam bongs said:
You tell him dude. I mean LOL at those PC noobs. It's not like you can hook your PC up to a TV and use the same controller but with better graphics and free online play.

LOL

You can do that but a lot of people don't want to because it's a bit of a hassle.

jim-jam bongs said:

LOL

as I understood it, the reason you guys like the PC dragon age was that you can be a nerd and play it on the keyboard with your little mouse. I want to sit on the couch, so I don't give a fuck. the whole point is I don't care. 99% of people don't care if they can assemble a PC that outperforms a console. the consoles are fine. you guys are
fucking nerds
the master race but most people are just normal.

do you go around in real life talking about LOL and noobs without getting your face caved in?

Durante

jim-jam bongs said:
And cheaper games. There is surprisingly little mention of that in the continuous PC vs. console discussion considering that many on GAF seem to buy dozens of games a year. Even if all else were equal I'd rather buy the $50 version than the $60 version.

HorribleJames said:
do you go around in real life talking about LOL and noobs without getting your face caved in?
You may not have noticed, but this is an internet forum. About video games. Nearly as far removed from "real life" as one can get.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
HorribleJames said:
as I understood it, the reason you guys like the PC dragon age was that you can be a nerd and play it on the keyboard with your little mouse. I want to sit on the couch, so I don't give a fuck. the whole point is I don't care. 99% of people don't care if they can assemble a PC that outperforms a console. the consoles are fine. you guys are
fucking nerds
the master race but most people are just normal.

Why gimp the PC version and send us fucking nerds in a rage when it was originally fine and dandy, then?

Archie said:
Why gimp the PC version and send us fucking nerds in a rage when it was originally fine and dandy, then?

this gaf backlash about the matter isn't representative of the public at large; while 90% of nerds who care whether it's isometric or not will rush to the message boards to debate the issue, 99% of regular people with sex lives just don't care.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
HorribleJames said:
this gaf backlash about the matter isn't representative of the public at large; while 90% of nerds who care whether it's isometric or not will rush to the message boards to debate the issue, 99% of regular people with sex lives just don't care.

You're not answering the question, though. Us sexless nerds need something to do on Saturday nights in between bitching on message boards. Isometric RPGs were one of our favorite pastimes, but Bioware is taking that away. Why 'fix' something that isn't broken?

Zomba13

HorribleJames said:
as I understood it, the reason you guys like the PC dragon age was that you can be a nerd and play it on the keyboard with your little mouse. I want to sit on the couch, so I don't give a fuck. the whole point is I don't care. 99% of people don't care if they can assemble a PC that outperforms a console. the consoles are fine. you guys are fucking nerds

Dude, you are posting on NeoGAF (A video games forum), you don't get to call other people nerds. You are just as much a nerd as everyone else registered on here.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
HorribleJames said:
nerdsnerdsvirginnerds.

You're quite easily the most obnoxious poster here. You're posting on a video game forum arguing about a game called Dragon Age and can still find it within yourself to act less dorky than everybody else? Amazing.

bhlaab

HorribleJames said:

Haha yeah all those people who care about whether a game is good or bad are nerds but i have sex and play leisure suit larry box office bust so i even have sex when im playing game

ps i bench 130

Don't really want to engage in the console v. PC debate, but "objectively better" is a tough sell, especially if we're comparing the "console experience" to the "PC experience." I'm ready to concede "comfy couch" and "graphics not appreciably better" as weak arguments in the usual back and forth, but the real reason I'm a console-centric gamer is the Sony first party exclusives.

Many of my favorite games this generation are coming out of camp Sony, and it's undeniable that they've got some of the most talented devs in the industry. Yes, I miss the RTS games. Yes, it's going to kill me to miss out on Diablo 3, but, in the final analysis, I'd rather miss the great Blizzard games than all the Sony FP offerings, if it has to be a zero-sum choice. Like the differences between the consoles, "exclusives" is still the most compelling argument when comparing consoles v. PCs.

HorribleJames said:
it's objectively better? I prefer sitting back on a couch with a controller.

Why exactly is this used as evidence as to why the PC platform is inferior in anyway? I play all my PC games from my "comfy couch" (well I tell a lie, I play in bed sometimes) and many of them with a controller as well. The difference is that I only use a controller when I actually want to and when I do want to it doesn't ahve to be something with a shitty dpad either, I can just as easily use my Saturn USB pad as I can my wireless 360 controller.

Owzers

Archie said:
You're not answering the question, though. Us sexless nerds need something to do on Saturday nights in between bitching on message boards. Isometric RPGs were one of our favorite pastimes, but Bioware is taking that away. Why 'fix' something that isn't broken?

In an effort to drive gamers to suicide. Bioware is after your LIFE.

Glix

This is awful. Dragon Age one was like two different games PC vs Console. There was even a print review (Game Informer I think) that made it very very clear, that PC was vastly different and much much more tactical.

I enjoyed the PC version. I watched my buddy play a bunch of hours on the XBOX version, and I literally forced him to stop playing and to get the PC version. He was much happier.

This news is very disappointing.

HorribleJames said:

I'd bet you're just a stud aren't you? You must fuck, what 2 maybe 3 different women every night, right? I mean once you show them your Xbox 360 and your ability to whoop asses in Dragon Age in 3rd person view they must be absolutely begging for cock, right?

Any other tips I can get off you? I see acting like an uninformed idiot on message boards is one thing you have nailed down so what exactly does this little trope get you? Is this how all those hot babes notice you in the first place? I bet you're PM box is flooded with messages from them after this thread, right?

brain_stew said:
I'd bet you're just a stud aren't you? You must fuck, what 2 maybe 3 different women every night, right? I mean once you show them your Xbox 360 and your ability to whoop asses in Dragon Age in 3rd person view they must by absolutely begging for cock, right?

I don't get any, but my time is occupied by planning on getting it.

Zzoram

I played all of Dragon Age Origins in isometric. I guess I'll pass on Dragon Age 2. I bet they'll use the lower PC sales of DA2 to justify the further consolization of their games.

WanderingWind

HorribleJames said:

So, you don't get anybody, but waste your time trying to get some. That makes you an abject fucking failure.

Ponn

Banned
Count me among those that won't be affected by this. Was going to get it for 360 anyways. All my DA 1 DLC, achievements and saves are on there and I still enjoyed it despite all the hate for the console version. More of a plus for me since they seem to be making alot of improvements for the console version so it's actually a win for me. Sorry for those that this will effect though.

WanderingWind

Ponn01 said:
Count me among those that won't be affected by this. Was going to get it for 360 anyways. All my DA 1 DLC, achievements and saves are on there and I still enjoyed it despite all the hate for the console version. More of a plus for me since they seem to be making alot of improvements for the console version so it's actually a win for me. Sorry for those that this will effect though.

At least one of the console-only types isn't acting like an asshole. :D

Haeleos

Can't wait for the nu metal driven ad campaign with 24 different preorder offers. Bioware is trolling people with this game. Only reason I had a modicum of enjoyment in the original game was for the half assed throwback to Baldur's Gate 2 style combat, because the same Bioware story, same Bioware channel-shit has certainly worn out it's welcome to me.

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 both show how you can take a 10-12 year old concept and excite both new and returning fanbase. Bioware's innovations to their games all seem like they are born out of budget concerns and appealing to preteen boys.

Looking back at Greg Zeschuk's comments on the lack of evolution in jRPGs reveals a megaton of hypocrisy at this point.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'm hoping the PS3 version runs a little smoother this time around since that will probably be my platform of choice. A game that looked like THAT had no excuse to be so choppy.
If I had a PC, obviously I'd go in that direction but I'm an RPG fan and I feel like it's still worth playing if you're a console only guy. I admit, I did switch to easy about half way through the game because I found it frustrating to manage the party effectively.

HorribleJames said:

YbQxC.gif

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I'm hoping the PS3 version runs a little smoother this time around since that will probably be my platform of choice. A game that looked like THAT had no excuse to be so choppy.
If I had a PC, obviously I'd go in that direction but I'm an RPG fan and I feel like it's still worth playing if you're a console only guy. I admit, I did switch to easy about half way through the game because I found it frustrating to manage the party effectively.

To be honest this discussion reminds me a lot of the debates that rage on the WoW forums about class balance, and not just for the obvious reason (even after the last few posts).

There are those who cry "nerf this class because they're too good" and there are those who ask "why not bring the others up to their level instead?" Personally I'm more in the latter school of thought. Why not bring the console versions of the game up to parity with the PC version as far as controls are concerned instead of nerfing the PC version?

Boonoo

A Twisty Fluken said:
I don't think that word means what you think it means, friendo.

What? I'm pretty sure it means exactly what he thinks it means.

What are your methods for objectively judging a platform? Because the PC comes out on top of all of these.

Visual Performance
Breadth of input methods
Selection of titles
and
Moddability of said titles
Basic Versatility

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ponn01 said:

This is my feelings as well.

Top Bottom