• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II: No overhead view on PC, no toolset, audience is on consoles

epmode

KUFI said:
Say goodbye your PC gaming :)
KUFI said:
Only Blizzard left. But thats only matter of time to convert his fate on our console side :)
Wanna know a secret? Putting a :) at the end of a post won't save you from a mod.

The trick to saying stupid stuff is to be subtle about it.

Shaka

epmode said:
OK, I quoted you.
Yay!
AdrianWerner said:
Well.. he is right that the Bioware guy's answer bassicaly conformed the original info, just in more optimistic manner :)
I tend to take a wait and see approach, if shit happens it happens I move on. I find GAF cynicism funny(though not misplace) that's all.

KUFI

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
I doubt Valve will do anything to piss off PC gamers specifically
:)

Ok, so Blizzard and Valve only left and then...THEN!...world of gaming will be ours! muheheHEHEEE

burns.gif

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'll never understand why console gamers relish in their PC brethren being shat upon. They should be demanding better games with M/K controls, overhead views and toolsets. Instead, they are actually gloating that a version of the game has been downgraded to match the low standards set by consoles. smh

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Discotheque said:
(INCLUDING their early console days, I'd rather play Jade Empire than the Mass Effect series any day)
But, but, but I don't even... I need some time to accept that someone actually has this opinion.

eznark

Banned
Archie said:
I'll never understand why console gamers relish in their PC brethren being shat upon. They should be demanding better games with M/K controls, overhead views and toolsets. Instead, they are actually gloating that a version of the game has been downgraded to match the low standards set by consoles. smh
Look at Kufi's posts. He can barely type with a keyboard, you think he'd be able to play games?

daycru

Archie said:
I think it's more LOL'ing at people who refer to themselves as "the master race".

Saty

*Pressing the Red Fist Icon Button, repeatedly*

The hell with you, Bioware. Biting the hand that feeds.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Shaka said:
Yay!
I tend to take a wait and see approach, if shit happens it happens I move on. I find GAF cynicism funny(though not misplace) that's all.

Wait and see about what, exactly? They confirmed these changes.

Shaka said:

*rolls eyes*

gdt

Archie said:

But what if I prefer using a controller?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
gdt5016 said:
Imagine the reverse, if a console game forced you to use keyboard/mouse rather than your comfortable controller!

Safe Bet

Banned
MrHicks said:
valve = multiplat @ this point
how is that wrong??
The console market is the "minor leagues" of gaming.

It's where tomorrow's "hardcore gamers" are playing.

You simply cannot ignore it.

Edit:

Archie said:
They should be demanding better games with M/K controls...
1. Preferring a controller to a keyboard does not make one inferior, just different.

One thing I wonder about this title:

*They have removed the origin-stories.
*Removed much of the character customization.
*Introduced the dialogue wheel from other games.
*Removed/changed the tactical view.
*Removed the toolset.

So if you disregard all the console vs pc arguments, potential sales numbers, etc, then one question remains: Why should I play this RPG instead of the competitors? What will this RPG have that other RPG´s don´t have? I really don´t know anymore. Can I still expect the same focus on game altering choices in the quests, or are they streamlining and simplifying that also?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
gdt5016 said:

That's the beauty of PC, you have choice. I played Alpha Protocol on the PC with a 360 controller and it worked out quite nicely.

Owzers

CecilRousso said:
One thing I wonder about this title:

*They have removed the origin-stories.
*Removed much of the character customization.
*Introduced the dialogue wheel from other games.
*Removed/changed the tactical view.
*Removed the toolset.

So if you disregard all the console vs pc arguments, potential sales numbers, etc, then one question remains: Why should I play this RPG instead of the competitors? What will this RPG have that other RPG´s don´t have? I really don´t know anymore. Can I still expect the same focus on game altering choices in the quests, or are they streamlining and simplifying that also?

It will still probably be fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CecilRousso said:
Why should I play this RPG instead of the competitors? What will this RPG have that other RPG´s don´t have?

Gay elf sex (that isn't even that good).

daycru said:
I think it's more LOL'ing at people who refer to themselves as "the master race".

Also this. I'm sick of PC GAF going into some console/multiplatform threads and going down the "Mouse/keyboard, 1080p, blah, blah, blah" checklist. We know. We don't care. It doesn't add anything to the discussion. Seriously.

Sucks about you guys not getting a toolset, as generally that's a benefit of PC gaming that I enjoy (minus the numerous nude mods) but ho-hum, what can you do? Bioware hasn't been that great since KotOR.

sillymonkey321 said:
It will still probably be fun.

Of course, but there are tons of RPG games being released will be fun. Why should I choose this instead of others? And no, I don´t have time to play them all.

Shaka

WanderingWind said:
Wait and see about what, exactly? They confirmed these changes.
Wait and see if the game's good? If some the changes work. I can understand why people would be mad, hell they have every right to be. I find cynicism in some cases funny, so what of it. I'm not even on Bioware's side, Sheesh! Put your torch down, I'm not your enemy.
eznark said:
Without tactical combat and origin stories Dragon Age would have been entirely forgettable.
I didn't like the tactical combat an I still enjoyed it. :D

WanderingWind

Shaka said:
Wait and see if the game's good? If some the changes work. I can understand why people would be mad, hell they have every right to be. I find cynicism in some cases funny, so what of it. I'm not even on Bioware's side, Sheesh! Put your torch down, I'm not your enemy.

Sigh. Your schtick is tiresome. Stop proclaiming rage everytime somebody quotes you. That post was in no way attacking you. Relax, Persecution Boy.

2San

Easy_D said:
Imagine the reverse, if a console game forced you to use keyboard/mouse rather than your comfortable controller!
That wouldn't happen though you know since dev's make most of their money on consoles. :p The major reason Dev's get away with shitty ports is because PC gamers buy those shitty ports anyway. No reason to walk that extra mile to keep the PC gamers happy.

Cheech

water_wendi said:
i seriously doubt ill be purchasing DA2 so your statement is incorrect.

You're in a DA2 thread on one of the biggest, most hardcore gaming forums. You're buying DA2.

The thing is, it's obvious the third person perspective is being tweaked. So why not wait and see what they do instead of flying off the handle?

2San said:
That wouldn't happen though you know since dev's make most of their money on consoles. :p The major reason Dev's get away with shitty ports is because PC gamers buy those shitty ports anyway. No reason to walk that extra mile to keep the PC gamers happy.

If you make certain type of games yes. But not all developers make those kind of games, not all can make those kind of games, and not all want to make those kind of games.

WanderingWind

Cheech said:
You're in a DA2 thread on one of the biggest, most hardcore gaming forums. You're buying DA2.

By that logic, I'm also buying Kinect because I posted in a thread about it and Move. Which, apparently, I am now duty bound to buy. :lol

2San

CecilRousso said:
If you make certain type of games yes. But not all developers make those kind of games, not all can make those kind of games, and not all want to make those kind of games.
Yeah, but were talking about Bioware here. And in the end most of the people complaining will buy the game anyway.

Cheech

WanderingWind said:
By that logic, I'm also buying Kinect because I posted in a thread about it and Move. Which, apparently, I am now duty bound to buy. :lol

2San said:
Yeah, but were talking about Bioware here. And in the end most of the people complaining will buy the game anyway.

WanderingWind

Cheech said:

You literally said nothing there. So, one other guy is repeating your odd point of view. That just means there are two wrong people in the world. Not that your shared wrongness somehow equates to right.

Owzers

eznark said:
Without tactical combat and origin stories Dragon Age would have been entirely forgettable.

console dragon age's problem was that the combat pretended to be tactical but it wasn't. If they are focusing on making it action orientated, it can be good. I also don't have high regards for the origin stories.

worst parts of Dragon Age iirc: Fade segment, Dragon fights being incredibly unbalanced, and combat not working for consoles.

best parts of Dragon Age: Party banter. Most of the main quests were interesting to some degree.

Shaka said:

I didn't like the tactical combat an I still enjoyed it. :D

How would the changes work? You can try it with the over the shoulder view in DA1 and they already know they don't like it. What are they waiting for?

Cheech said:

Hey, I already asked you if you want to make a bet that every person in this thread will buy this game upon release like you keep claiming? Why not accept the bet instead of trolling?

KUFI

Banned
eznark said:
Look at Kufi's posts. He can barely type with a keyboard, you think he'd be able to play games?

keyboard..what keyboard? I type this with Dualshock on my PS3 :)

Shaka

WanderingWind said:
Sigh. Your schtick is tiresome. Stop proclaiming rage everytime somebody quotes you. That post was in no way attacking you. Relax, Persecution Boy.
You're a bit of an arsehole mate :lol I have no beef with you WanderingWind. It's just your posts came across to me as passive aggressive. We're all having fun here, right? :D
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How would the changes work? You can try it with the over the shoulder view in DA1 and they already know they don't like it. What are they waiting for?
I was talking about general game changes, not the cam and tools. Removing those is bullshit even though I never used them personally.

Archie said:

You say "downgraded", I say "optimized".

Top Bottom