• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom DS (homebrew)!!!!!!!!!!!

c_k_i_t3

Doom DS looks amazing!!!
Better than Metroid Prime Hunters :D

10-11-1.jpg

10-11-2.jpg

preview01.jpg

preview02.jpg

preview03.jpg

Video: http://dual-soft.com/doomds/test01.avi
more at: http://dual-soft.com/doomds/

ID Software should hire them!

Mrbob

Going polys for the character and weapon models too. Will be interesting to see how everthing looks when they are done.

Tiktaalik

Wifi is almost hacked as well, and progress is being made on tunnelling :) edit: Not for this game, but in general. I can only hope that when it's done they'll work it into this game.

In a related topic, I wrote my first DS program last night. Just a box moving accross the screen, but it made me happy I was finally able to get something to work. I'll look into sprites later tonight.

Razoric

Banned
Zaxxon said:
Wifi is almost hacked as well, and progress is being made on tunnelling :) edit: Not for this game, but in general. I can only hope that when it's done they'll work it into this game.

In a related topic, I wrote my first DS program last night. Just a box moving accross the screen, but it made me happy I was finally able to get something to work. I'll look into sprites later tonight.

How would one go about writing a DS program?

Apenheul

Well, as far as I can seeon the website the coder hasn't started writing the engine yet. I assume that movie is a render from 3dsmax or something. Secondly, you don't have to be much of a programmer to port Doom to DS. I'm certainly not impressed.

Tiktaalik

Apenheul said:
Secondly, you don't have to be much of a programmer to port Doom to DS. I'm certainly not impressed.

Maybe it wouldn't be hard to port if you had the official Nintendo SDK, but if you are doing it 100% homebrew, then all you have is libNDS, which pretty much just gives you access to the hardware registers, interrupts etc. Also, libNDS is almost completely undocumented... so, it would actually probably be pretty difficult to port Doom. It would be easier to just write the engine from scratch and find a way to input the models and textures from the PC game.

phantomile co. said:
touch screen controls?
Better be. Metroid Hunters has brilliant touch screen controls. Although I disagree with the fella who said this looks better than Metroid Hunters. You have to remember they've yet to add in any characters.

Apenheul said:
Well, as far as I can seeon the website the coder hasn't started writing the engine yet. I assume that movie is a render from 3dsmax or something. Secondly, you don't have to be much of a programmer to port Doom to DS. I'm certainly not impressed.

Just in case people miss/ed this post.

Apenheul

Zaxxon said:
Maybe it wouldn't be hard to port if you had the official Nintendo SDK, but if you are doing it 100% homebrew, then all you have is libNDS, which pretty much just gives you access to the hardware registers, interrupts etc. Also, libNDS is almost completely undocumented... so, it would actually probably be pretty difficult to port Doom. It would be easier to just write the engine from scratch and find a way to input the models and textures from the PC game.

Yes I know, it just so happens that I've written a 3D renderer using libnds and a maya exporter plugin last week. I didn't have any experience with opengl (y-axis up, mirrored texturecoordinates), I'm a direct3d person, so it actually took me two days to code it :p. But perhaps I've chosen the wrong words in my previous post, I said porting but I didn't mean getting the raycaster to work, making a new engine from scratch is indeed easier.

Levels tested in Quake 1 engine. Current testing using HL engine?

Interesting stuff anyway. So essentially -- are they gonna write their own engine, or do some kind of port of the Quake engine? Isn't there a seperate Quake project underway? Is Quake available on phones yet?

Mode

I somehow doubt this project will ever see the light of day. Everything you see is *STILL* design. This project started some time ago but still hasn't progressed past the "here are the low poly models I did which will be in the DS version when I find a coder to code the engine."

Culex

Banned
shuri said:
What's the point of dedicating a complete screen to a virtual keyboard for doom?

I'm assuming that if this is a literal port from the PC, they had to mimic the keyboard for the "console" HUD.

Apenheul

PhoenixDark said:
How are these things distributed? You download them onto the DS or something?

Yeah, with a flashed DS you can download homebrew binaries with your DS. You can also use a gba flashcard in combination with a flashed DS or with a passme, and there are two commercial cart/passme kits.

Top Bottom