• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't look now, but Sony has 4 skus in Steam's top 10

Fabieter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the person pushing that sales were stronger on PS5 and more a kin to 1:1 when all data suggested that it was selling better on PC?

There have been larger 1P releases on PS5 vs PS4 launch aligned and it isn't even close.

No evidence to suggest that PC development is creating longer development cycles for console.

Yes, that's accurate. The primary reason for this situation is that in 2013, most of the PS3 exclusives were not cross-gen, whereas a significant portion of the PS5 exclusives is cross-gen. Furthermore, their output decreased notably after the first year, and those who claim it's mainly PC ports, remasters, and remakes might have a point. Whether the PC incentive is the cause of this can only be speculated upon.

Cumulative libraries were not the case from PS3/360 to PS4/X1, yet there was not a massive pilgrimage to PC.

It goes beyond speculation that Valve would release a console like product.

For Valve to release their own console, the hardware would have to be significantly more expensive than current consoles.

It is speculation but it wouldn't be a first. They already tried and if they do similar speced console for like 599 to 699. They might snack some console players.

Is it tho? Ask youself, how many people switched from playstation and xbox to be a primary pc player? How many people do you personally know who started on console but switched?

Personally I know alot of xbox and PlayStation players doing so.

Roni

Gold Member
Sony is quickly becoming one of the more pre-eminent PC publishers. In the United States they have 4 games ranked in the top 10 and 4 in the top 15 globally.

They have 4 of the top 10 current best sellers.
  • Helldivers 2 (1st/1st)
  • Destiny 2 (5th/9th)
  • Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut (pre-order) (7th/11th)
  • Helldivers 2 - Super Citizen Edition (8th/15th)
Quite a good performance considering the narrative from many that they should give up PC support or that there isn't demand for their games on PC.

It'll be interesting to see how Horizon performs, as well as the inevitable Last of Us Part 2.
I'm proud of the progress you've shown. Keep going and eventually you'll reach acceptance.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony is quickly becoming one of the more pre-eminent PC publishers. In the United States they have 4 games ranked in the top 10 and 4 in the top 15 globally.

They have 4 of the top 10 current best sellers.
  • Helldivers 2 (1st/1st)
  • Destiny 2 (5th/9th)
  • Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut (pre-order) (7th/11th)
  • Helldivers 2 - Super Citizen Edition (8th/15th)
Quite a good performance considering the narrative from many that they should give up PC support or that there isn't demand for their games on PC.

It'll be interesting to see how Horizon performs, as well as the inevitable Last of Us Part 2.

You're gonna make some people mad with this post and thread you created. Be aware.

Spider-Man Movie GIF by Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

//DEVIL//

Gran Turismo 7 is going to sell gangbusters if they do end up porting it too.
Imagine 4K 120fps with ray tracing during races.
If there is 1 game that I dont think it will come to PC, its this game.

not only the main devs will have nothing to do with that port. let alone approve it ( because believe it or not. it feels like they are the boss more than Sony are ).

but because they know the game will be modded for long ass years and Sony isnt fan of that.

But... i hope I am wrong

Last edited:

jakinov

Making on the top 10 doesn't mean it's performing well. It only means it's performing better than other things right now for a specific time period. Suicide Squad was on that list when it launched because a launch is an event leads to elevated sales the same way a game becoming available for pre-order.

mckmas8808

Missing their target by 15% and predicting a decline in PS5 sales going forward suggest that it might ultimately lag behind the PS4. It seems the PS5's success is largely riding on the strong momentum established by the PS4, rather than other strategic decisions.

Decisions won't affect markets right away and they don't have their own store which gives them the ability to expand their ecosystem in a meaningful way on pc.

Well let's see how it goes for them. But even if playstation is declining people won't blame the lag of exclusives anyway. So it won't matter either way.

Decline? It sold 22.5 million units in the calendar year of 2023. So what if it declines to 20 million in 2024? Is that really that bad?

Think you're pretty right on the money here, though I would probably call it 12-18+ months.

God of War Ragnarok is sitting at 16 months now and it hasn't even been announced for PC.

Think it might be wise to breakdown Flagship Single Player and Single Player.

Horizon Forbidden West is more than 2 years. Maybe this hastens under Totoki, but I think we still have to see elements of this play out.

Hmmmm..........you're right. Sony will either need to get this down to 2 years max or cut the price of the PS5 by $100.

Thank you! Checking the weekly top sellers, Helldivers 2 was #1 for every single week since launch. This doesn't even include the Premium $60/$20 Upgrade of the game, as it has its own placement. Tomorrow is its 1-month anniversary as well.
kK4Vf7l.jpg

HD2 is around 10 million sold PS5\PC combined. It's insane!

mckmas8808

Making on the top 10 doesn't mean it's performing well. It only means it's performing better than other things right now for a specific time period. Suicide Squad was on that list when it launched because a launch is an event leads to elevated sales the same way a game becoming available for pre-order.

We also know Suicide Squad sold well in it's first few weeks too.

simpatico

Sony might be getting a taste for that low overhead PC dough. They don’t have to pay for manufacturing, storage, give retailers a cut, compete with used sales… just sounds a lot easier and the potential customer base is just as big.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
And we've seen the numbers on how SP first parties sell on PC. They're not too impressive.

Again, all this is going to do is decrease the potential of sales on PlayStation, and keep revenue stagnant or even mildly reduced in the long term. Recent events have proven this stuff doesn't change the outcome of decline/stagnation.

Horizon selling 3.3 million copies is quite decent. On the other end of the spectrum is Sackboy, selling 63,000 copies. The latter's base price is 60 USD, so even a lowball estimate of $20 average revenue per copy sold would have Sackboy easily paying for itself.

And that's the point: these ports are incredibly cheap for Sony (budgets generally between 2 and 5 million, going by the leak), so even if they're not exactly lighting the PC charts on fire, most of them are making many times their budget in sales revenue. These profits in turn can help fund the ever-more-expensive AAA cinematic singleplayer titles that Sony fans are so wild about. To go from that to suggesting this strategy will actually reduce revenue in the long term is quite the leap.

Yes, that's accurate. The primary reason for this situation is that in 2013, most of the PS3 exclusives were not cross-gen, whereas a significant portion of the PS5 exclusives is cross-gen. Furthermore, their output decreased notably after the first year, and those who claim it's mainly PC ports, remasters, and remakes might have a point. Whether the PC incentive is the cause of this can only be speculated upon.

It is speculation but it wouldn't be a first. They already tried and if they do similar speced console for like 599 to 699. They might snack some console players.

Is it tho? Ask youself, how many people switched from playstation and xbox to be a primary pc player? How many people do you personally know who started on console but switched?

Personally I know alot of xbox and PlayStation players doing so.

So yeah, let's ignore the reason why the steam machine failed.

- More expensive than consoles
- Lack of exclusive system sellers
- Lacks many of the benefits of gaming PCs

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sony might be getting a taste for that low overhead PC dough. They don’t have to pay for manufacturing, storage, give retailers a cut, compete with used sales… just sounds a lot easier and the potential customer base is just as big.

Bingo.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I think the main factor was that you couldn’t upgrade the GPU. That right there is enormous.

Error two was opening it up to other companies that were selling them for a grand or so. It defeated the purpose.

Steam Deck leaves no need for a console like device from Valve. It connects to a TV or monitor and performs the same function albeit with the far important portability factor.

Fabieter

Imo the steam machine failed because valve didn't do the console themselves. They made prototypes which were awesome. Well at least I heared as much I applied to get one myself but I didnt get one.

If Valve makes a steam machine themselves like they did with the Deck it won't fail.

Fabieter

Add in decreasing revenue from all kinds of sources on console ;).

Imo the steam machine failed because valve didn't do the console themselves. They made prototypes which were awesome. Well at least I heared as much I applied to get one myself but I didnt get one.

If Valve makes a steam machine themselves like they did with the Deck it won't fail.

Yeah because the SteamDeck is selling millions of units...

Fabieter

Makes the Vita look like a rousing hit

The Deck is getting a successor in two to three years. Can't say the same about the vital sadly.

I wish sony the best that they wont lose steam ;), going forward but if they do there is no going back to their status quo.

I mean let's not all go sucking each other's dicks over the Steam Deck's "success" it's sold around 2 million units which is a rounding error compared to Nintendo Switch 130+ million units and counting

Top Bottom