• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoJ to sue colleges that "discriminate against white applicants" w/affirmative action

Hasn't this shit been settled by the Supreme Court? Annoying misuse of resources, but what else would you expect from Good ole boy Sessions

ccbfan

I'm pretty certain ccbfan would agree with you.

I definitely do. I'm not against aa leveling the playing field for discrimated groups. Because even with this benefit, there's still a shit ton of other stuff that hurts these groups.

The issue with aa is it's takes from one discriminated group and distributes it to other groups including the majority privileged group and for some reason everyone is ok with it. And comes out with the same old vague subjective shit like well rounded and blandness to defend it.

I definitely do. I'm not against aa leveling the playing field for discrimated groups. Because even with this benefit, there's still a shit ton of other stuff that hurts these groups.

The issue with aa is it's takes from one discriminated group and distributes it to other groups including the majority privileged group and for some reason everyone is ok with it. And comes out with the same old vague subjective shit like well rounded and blandness to defend it.

I hated to default to this because it sounds like such a stereotypical answer, but I think that's what the people at the top who are majority privileged want

Blacks and Asians both getting played and then hateful towards each other is another American tradition

I think it's born from people being ignorant about the subject matter, when there's plenty of recent data to show how Asian American's are treated as a majority when compared directly to White Americans in admissions.

geomon

Oh Jesus. We're now using the Civil Rights division of the Department of Justice to protect white institutions when they choose to discriminate against people of color.

Somebody please invade us.

Oh Jesus. We're now using the Civil Rights division of the Department of Justice to protect white institutions when they choose to discriminate against people of color.

Somebody please invade us.

POC shouldn't have expected anything less after he won.

I don't think we did. We are always the easiest targets for misdirection. Need something to distract whites that might be getting angry with you? Even get them back on your side? Remind them that they're still better than the best negroes by default and convince them they are being hurt by said negroes.

Velcro Fly

Fuck this piece of shit

Only if he resigns we get someone just as bad AND they will probably fire Mueller for Trump.

PKrockin

yeah but i'm tired and it takes so long and clinton will probably win anyway and both sides are pretty much the same and the elections are controlled by lobbyists and ...

akira28

I guess jefferson beauregard sees his time is short so he will get in as much racism into law enforcement and the justice system that he can manage, while he still can.

POC shouldn't have expected anything less after he won.

I don't think we did. We are always the easiest targets for misdirection. Need something to distract whites that might be getting angry with you? Even get them back on your side? Remind them that they're still better than the best negroes by default and convince them they are being hurt by said negroes.

black people have been fighting this shit longer than HE has been alive. and if it's our generation's turn to stand to, well, what choice do we have?

Hasn't this shit been settled by the Supreme Court? Annoying misuse of resources, but what else would you expect from Good ole boy Sessions

Yeah, I thought this happened in the late '90s or early '00s. I think even Rachel Dolezal claimed discrimination at her HBC.

Maybe the DoJ hasn't been enforcing it though?

old

Conservatives have a "keep trying until we win" approach. Look at abortion. They'll keep bringing things back to Supreme Court hoping one day they finally win.

akira28

Conservatives have a "keep trying until we win" approach. Look at abortion. They'll keep bringing things back to Supreme Court hoping one day they finally win.

by god when that turtle finally crosses over to the other side....

but they live for hundreds of years don't they?

Kevtones

You guys are bigoted against Sessions. He suffers from affluenza, racism and white privilege and it's not okay to discriminate.

Measley

Remember when people like Cornell West were saying that Neoliberalism was as bad/dangerous as Neofascism?

Future

If only a liberal president was this adamant about to please only its base. Christ man trump just doesn't give a shit about appealing to anyone but the core white voter that got him in office. The white voter that thinks racism is dead and or believes the world is somehow against white people

Not

Banned
Thank God someone's finally standing up for this social group without a voice and no power in society.

People who voted for and/or still stand by Trump are getting what they wanted. At this point I beg someone to tell me about their fucking so nice Uncle or Sister in Law that voted for Trump and "aren't all that bad". I only have one reply anymore: "Aunt Gertrude or your fiancée or your doting Granny Ruth can all fuck off because they sentenced black people and other POC to continued oppression. Your family can be as nice as apple crumble to you but they chose to destroy lives that weren't their own. As a black person, they've sentenced me to worrying about if I should or even can have a family at all when their efforts, dreams and even lives can be stripped away by an unempathetic system."

Posting my topic about political resistance again. Fight back. If you're actually regretful for ever supporting Trump, fight back. If you're actually concerned about how much progress will be rolled back by Sessions, fight back. The people who flippantly sentenced American citizens to this need to see a good dose of what it actually means to have skin in the "game".

Alienfan

Isn't there more women in college than men in general?

Yeah I've never really understood why white woman need affirmative action, when more woman attend college than men. Obviously the sciences are a different story, just like how there should be (and in some cases are) scholarship for male nurses and teachers.

IrishNinja

And this is why Sessions will never resign.

exactly this - fuck the notion of wanting him to stay in for 4D chess games, he needs to be long gone. the shit he's doing here, private prisons & reigniting the drug war will hurt so many people. fuck, i hate the man.

I read DoJ and discrimination and affirmative action and thought cool, this is probably something good and then entered the thread :(
I'm happily surprised that I still assume good things about America though so silver lining and all that!

Nerazar

Well, affirmative action *is* discrimination based on race or other characteristics. And now we can discuss whether there is something like "good" discrimination or not.

With universities, I would hope that the people benefiting from affirmative action would have gotten in anyway, because of their talents and their desire to learn. I don't know how it is handled in reality, though. Because I wouldn't endorse the worst case scenario: that universities would *have* to fulfill quotas even though some of the applicants are not ready to go to university. But since the universities would be sued if they don't bring in the numbers, they would take those people in anyway. That leads to frustration for the applicants themselves, because they cannot keep up, and lowers the overall quality of classes, because they cannot contribute as much.

University should not be the only way to success in life. And not everyone can enter and succeed. So we should provide for more ways for people to achieve success and get a good job.

mclem

Well, affirmative action *is* discrimination based on race or other characteristics. And now we can discuss whether there is something like "good" discrimination or not.

I think the point is more that it's meant to work in opposition to existing discrimination in the opposite direction.

I tend to think of it this way:

You have two candidates with a similar GPA
One - with a slightly higher one - has a privileged background.
Which candidate is the better at learning? Because that's the one the college should want.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

With universities, I would hope that the people benefiting from affirmative action would have gotten in anyway, because of their talents and their desire to learn. I don't know how it is handled in reality, though. Because I wouldn't endorse the worst case scenario: that universities would *have* to fulfill quotas even though some of the applicants are not ready to go to university. But since the universities would be sued if they don't bring in the numbers, they would take those people in anyway. That leads to frustration for the applicants themselves, because they cannot keep up, and lowers the overall quality of classes, because they cannot contribute as much.

University should not be the only way to success in life. And not everyone can enter and succeed. So we should provide for more ways for people to achieve success and get a good job.

Nope.

It's leveling the playing field when the refs are against you because of systemic oppression based on your non-white ethnic background.

I can't believe you actually typed something so fucking stupid with a straight face.

Mahonay

Banned

That phrasing. Are you from the UK? Just asking.

You seem to know next to nothing about what kind of immense challenges and adversity black people in America face for their entire lives.

The system has been built to work against them. Affirmative Action is one of the very few things we have that attempts to balance things.

mr2xxx

Banned
Not suprised. Already blamed immigrants earlier for this countries issues, now we continue with blaming them and other POC.

CLEEK

Funny that this is an argument I always hear from my old conservative friends who could give a fuck about Asians, but use them for this argument..heh. I'll just answer with this link..

That doesn't address the Asian cap at all. It mostly just says "more diversity is good, m'kay". It even contradicts itself with point #3:

Test scores play a dominant role in any holistic review program, and test scores are not race-neutral. In fact, a recent study demonstrated that race is the single most determinative factor in SAT scores

The link it uses to show this states that Asians have the highest SAT scores, so if admission were weighted primarily on SAT scores, Asians would do better than today.

The numbers show that Asian-American and white test takers are comfortably in the 500 range for all three parts of the test, while other groups are in the 400s and for the most part in the mid-400s for all three parts.

Everybody's scores are going down except for Asians. The National Center for Fair and Open Testing has kept track of the gains on the combined scores on all three sections, by race and ethnicity, since the introduction of the writing test for the class of 2006. Those statistics, combined with the new data, show that between the class of 2006 and the class of 2015, every group except Asians has seen its totals go down.

It's clear that AA in its current form punishes Asian more than any other group.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/affirmative-action-battle-has-a-new-focus-asian-americans.html

The data, experts say, suggests that if Harvard were forbidden to use race as a factor in admissions, the Asian-American admissions rate would rise, and the percentage of white, black and Hispanic students would fall.

Sianos

White people seem to suddenly become a lot less committed to their supposed multiple choice test score meritocracy when they are prompted by the survey that, on average, Asian people outscore them. So much for this concern on their part being about ethics in multiple choice tests and wanting the candidate the numbers say is best.

No one remind them that affirmative action statistically benefits darker skinned southeast Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders who are underrepresented on college campuses and for some reason not included in the dubious "model minority" myth used to divide people of color. Maybe they'll accidentally help a minority group, just as they are tricked into hurting themselves in other regards?

Sianos

Affirmative Action laws should be thoroughly examined to make sure they are not being manipulated in such a way to discriminate against Asian Americans, and changes should be made to fight back against such discrimination.

But I believe that conceptually Affirmative Action is necessary and encourages the flourishing of a broader diversity of perspectives. Sabotaging systems meant to help people so that they can try to turn the public against them is right at the top of the far right playbook (see: healthcare debacle for a public admission of this).

CLEEK

Or it says that Asians also benefit from affirmative action, which was being denied. But yeah..m'Kay. They must have an agenda..

But they don't though. That's the entire point. And the current case linked above that's likely to end up in the Supreme Court.

norm9

When white people (not all of course) consider themselves the victim when they have every single option at their disposal unlike others, we are really fucked as a nation. But the mind blowing thing is if they self reflected and got on board, it would've been possible to actually move forward as a society and progress, but they gotta be on top.

Eta- Asians are always the goddamn stick used to hit the pinata.

Top Bottom