• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your day 1 PS5 have hardware issues?

Is your launch day PS5 faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

Votes: 389 56.7%
  • I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • No PS5, no cry.

Votes: 224 32.7%

• Total voters

dcmk7

Banned
I’m quoting myself because it covers what you’re bringing up here. Once again, I don’t need to have an Xbox to discuss gamepass pricing and number padding. It’s also available on pc, isnt it? It isn’t for me to discuss Xbox hardware issues because I don’t have an Xbox, let alone an Xbox series x that died and needed replacing like you did. You have first hand knowledge about both consoles defects and hardware issues. You’re also split exactly down the middle and have no hardware allegiances. That was your claim. Too bad you let someone else make the thread. Good luck with your replacement PS5. Look forward to seeing you in one of the PS5 exclusives threads one of these days when one comes out that you purchase and wish to discuss.
I think you should just come out and say it that you think he is full of shit. It will save you a lot of time bud.

Based on yesterday you won't be the only one thinking that either.

For the record, and back on topic, I have a ps5 (and an Xbox Series X.. so I'm allowed to talk about it :messenger_winking:) and have had some software crashes but nothing hardware.

I’m quoting myself because it covers what you’re bringing up here. Once again, I don’t need to have an Xbox to discuss gamepass pricing and number padding. It’s also available on pc, isnt it? It isn’t for me to discuss Xbox hardware issues because I don’t have an Xbox, let alone an Xbox series x that died and needed replacing like you did. You have first hand knowledge about both consoles defects and hardware issues. You’re also split exactly down the middle and have no hardware allegiances. That was your claim. Too bad you let someone else make the thread. Good luck with your replacement PS5. Look forward to seeing you in one of the PS5 exclusives threads one of these days when one comes out that you purchase and wish to discuss.
I look forward to you perhaps actually acquiring the system that seems to be pretty important to you. I'm sure Sony will address the coil whine sooner or later. They are well aware.

Zbone

Neo Member
No hardware issues.

A couple of times Demon's Souls wouldn't boot. MM crashed once on main menu. Also PS5 crashed when I left in sleep mode so I always turn it off now.

gamer82

nothing yet but i haven't really played it a ton since xmas day haven't been in the mood entirely.

only annoyance was that it was all full of scratches and lint on the gloss right out of the box. :-( i mean feck Sony this is a premium item you really couldn't have put a protection film in place.

They recently send me a survey about the console so i made sure to point it out . no doubt theyre next refresh it will be matt but i'm not double dipping this gen.

i shall get a shell later from dbrabd fingers crossed.

gamer82

any demon souls tips for a noob, i picked the knight to start with. not even got anywhere yet keep getting slaughtered lol at least it wont be a quick complete your getting your moneys worth .

back to resi 3 for now

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
any demon souls tips for a noob, i picked the knight to start with. not even got anywhere yet keep getting slaughtered lol at least it wont be a quick complete your getting your moneys worth .

back to resi 3 for now
Yep, I just have the one..

Maybe try using the Demon's Souls thread :messenger_winking:

HoofHearted

I’ll vote “no issues” for now - though it seems like I have issues in running games from external drive. I’m chalking that up to software instead of hardware for now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Several times now, my PS5 has failed to recover from rest mode. It's about a 50/50 chance now that I've gotta unplug the unit from the wall and power it back on when I want to play it.

So often, in fact, that I disabled rest mode all together and have been fully powering it down when I'm not playing.

Mr Hyde

Been using my PS5 almost everyday now for about 5 weeks since I got it. It's not a launch unit, it's from the second batch that came in December. So far I've had two crashes related to rest mode and one time my DualSense went haywire and sorta lost connection so it had major input lag (easy fix by turning it off and on). Demon's Souls crashed once to UI but that feels more related to the game than the PS5 itself. Other than that, it's been working really well. Very solid system and build quality so far by my account.

r e p

Neo Member
Not a hardware issue. But I can’t download the new AC valhalla update. Keep getting an error every time i check for the update (CE-107938-8).

I have coil whine on mine. I was pretty annoyed by it, so I bought a new PS5 at the end of December rather than going through an exchange with Sony. That one also had coil whine in addition to the high-pitched fan noise. I kept my original console.

There’s two brand new consoles with audible coil whine out of the box. It’s hard to draw any conclusions with only two consoles, but it does seem like you have to be lucky to get a very quiet one.

I have coil whine on mine. I was pretty annoyed by it, so I bought a new PS5 at the end of December rather than going through an exchange with Sony. That one also had coil whine in addition to the high-pitched fan noise. I kept my original console.

There’s two brand new consoles with audible coil whine out of the box. It’s hard to draw any conclusions with only two consoles, but it does seem like you have to be lucky to get a very quiet one.
This was my biggest concern. I was going to keep my whiny console and buy another and keep the quieter one. Just be careful making these types of posts. Some over zealous Sony fans will demand your credentials. The coil whine is possibly an Xbox plot!

Not trying to push that Frank character over the edge again, but turned my PS5 on for the first time in a while today and got the database corruption again. This time after the repair it said something like 'your PS5 wasn't shut down properly, don't just turn the power off' - but I never turn the power off, I always put it into rest mode or, very occasionally, will just let it turn off due to inactivity. Anyone got any ideas what's happening?

It's always fixed itself so far, but should I be worried enough to be contacting Sony?

Deraj

Not trying to push that Frank character over the edge again, but turned my PS5 on for the first time in a while today and got the database corruption again. This time after the repair it said something like 'your PS5 wasn't shut down properly, don't just turn the power off' - but I never turn the power off, I always put it into rest mode or, very occasionally, will just let it turn off due to inactivity. Anyone got any ideas what's happening?

It's always fixed itself so far, but should I be worried enough to be contacting Sony?
If you hadn't used it in a while, possibly there may have been a power cut while you were out which caused a full shutdown. Maybe wait and see if it happens again first.

TransTrender

Gold Member
OK, definitely have drifting in my right analog stick
Seems to appear after longer gaming sessions and seems to recover if I restart or walk away for a bit.

Esca

That's what happens when the power goes out even for a split second.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I'm not interested in looking for conspiracy theories. I'm sure there are defective Xboxes out there (I had one) but this thread is about the PS5. You should make the thread since you are the most knowledgeable about the Xbox.

Mine too! I wonder who will get their console back first? The race is on and I hope your replacement works great.
Welp DarkMage...mine arrived to the repair place yesterday at 12:30 pm est according to Fedex. On the support page it shows "not received" as of 5:30 pm est today. Smh...I see how this is going to fo already 😔

Welp DarkMage...mine arrived to the repair place yesterday at 12:30 pm est according to Fedex. On the support page it shows "not received" as of 5:30 pm est today. Smh...I see how this is going to fo already 😔
Now that is a problem. I've been impressed so far because my system got to Sony Monday and they immediately sent an email saying that they got it. 3 hours later they said a replacement is on its way back. I got an email from FedEx showing the tracking number and I should have it Thursday. I'd give them a call with your repair number and find out what's going on.

When I had the PS5 I never used the rest mode for very long. There have been some comments that rest mode had issues. See how the system works shutting it down fully. If you will use rest mode don't use it for days on end just a few hours and shut it down if you won't be playing it for more than a day. If you are still having issues give Sony a call.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Now that is a problem. I've been impressed so far because my system got to Sony Monday and they immediately sent an email saying that they got it. 3 hours later they said a replacement is on its way back. I got an email from FedEx showing the tracking number and I should have it Thursday. I'd give them a call with your repair number and find out what's going on.

When I had the PS5 I never used the rest mode for very long. There have been some comments that rest mode had issues. See how the system works shutting it down fully. If you will use rest mode don't use it for days on end just a few hours and shut it down if you won't be playing it for more than a day. If you are still having issues give Sony a call.
Which facility did yours go to?

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Update on my repair. It marked as received by Sony at about 1:30 pm with an email. By 2:00 pm it marked as repaired and shipped with email and tracking. I swear, for a 30 minute repair if they didn't send me a replacement I'm going to be pissed. No way they could diagnose, repair, and PROPERLY test it in 30 minutes.

Aenima

Update on my repair. It marked as received by Sony at about 1:30 pm with an email. By 2:00 pm it marked as repaired and shipped with email and tracking. I swear, for a 30 minute repair if they didn't send me a replacement I'm going to be pissed. No way they could diagnose, repair, and PROPERLY test it in 30 minutes.
As far as im aware, while in warranty Sony does not repair consoles. Broken consoles go to refurbish centers. You either gonna receive a refurbished unit, or a brand new console.

FrankWza

Gold Member
As far as im aware, while in warranty Sony does not repair consoles. Broken consoles go to refurbish centers. You either gonna receive a refurbished unit, or a brand new console.
Yeah you’re not getting yours back. Refurb or new.

THEAP99

Banned
My ps5 during cod cold war kill-cam just completely froze for 20 secs and made a buzzing sound in my headset. I submitted my crash report to sony.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sometimes my PS5 randomly disconnect from internet, but once I restart it goes back to normal. I'm not sure exactly what causing it to discontent from internet.

Last edited:
My disc drive is excessively loud when it powers up, but that's only an issue when I install a physical game, power on the system with a disc in it, launch a physical game, or a physical game runs a DRM check. Other than the installing, it's usually noise that lasts less than a minute. The system is whisper quiet otherwise and not giving me any real problems. My PS5 arrived on November 12th directly from Sony.

Top Bottom