• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else find it weird how unpopular Metroid is on Nintendo, still?

kungfuian

Like already posted; Metroid sales make sense based on the Solo nature of the games seen within the context of Nintendo's Broader Demographic approach with most of their big franchises (social/casual/pastel).

However; based on the success of prior Zelda games compared to BOTW, I think they could definitely expand the formula to have greater appeal/sales if they make a similar jump. For example the franchise could really blow up with a BOTW style open world reboot including a revised art style more in line with the 'Disney-esque' color palate seen in their better selling franchises.

Metroid would need to make a jump similar to the one seen between Dark Souls and Elden Ring and look more like Ratchet and Clank to reach these types of high sales, which I don't think Nintendo will invest in. Call me a purist but I like the Pathfinder/Wide Linear/Metroidvania style, sale numbers aside, and hope they keep it that way; unless they go balls to the wall and do it just right.

Kabelly

Let me maybe explain another way - if Nintendo sold a handheld gaming system that did nothing but play Animal Crossing or Splatoon, and could not be used for anything else, a significant number of people would still buy one. Like they could literally go back to the Game & Watch days where each device was the entire game and it would still be successful for them.
if splatoon, a home console game, turned exclusivly handheld I'm sure a lot of people would not be happy. I know I wouldn't buy it.

edit : on topic

other m butcher ruined the potential

then we had a decade long hiatus. then we got a 2D game. Prime is in Limbo.

We need Prime. But with the reboot who knows how long we'll be waiting still.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Actually Sony funded Returnal is the best Metroid game I've played since Metroid Prime. It's amazing and completely soy-free.
Huh, I thought that was a third person shooter. As for being soy-free, no comment. In any case, I was more refeering to the 2d incarnation of Metroid- High budget niche sidescroller focused on exploration/gameplay with minimal amount of story/cinematics.

Last edited:

kungfuian

Huh, I thought that was a third person shooter. As for being soy-free, no comment.
It is an amazing 'Metroid' game by all measures. Especially if you play it using cloud saves (negating the rogue-like nature of the game). If you like Metroid you will love this game. It's pretty great!

Also; check what you wrote. You used "Soy", maybe you meant "Sony"? And if so I agree. Metroid does not need a dialog heavy story driven focus. That part of Sony games should stay out of Metroid 100%.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
It is an amazing 'Metroid' game by all measures. Especially if you play it using cloud saves (negating the rogue-like nature of the game). If you like Metroid you will love this game. It's pretty great!
Alright, might check it out.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Nintendo fans don't deserve Metroid. It should be given to Steam or PlayStation, we offer Knack as a trade in.

Steam hasn't made games in over a decade or something and Sony isn't interested in anything that doesn't have the potential to sell at least 10 million copies. Also, they'd make Samus into a middle-aged, overweight transwoman to keep the Western audience happy. Please keep any Nintendo franchise far away from them.

Chastten

Banned
Also, I think OP is vastly overestimating the popularity of these type of games. Doesn't Castlevania also generally only sell around a million or so copies per game? Ori sold something like 2 million.

Nintendo would need a 3D game to potentially increase the audience but yeah, who knows whats up with Prime 4. Could be cancelled by now for all we know.

Rykan

2D games in general don't really sell those insane numbers besides Mario. Donkey Kong Country: TF sold like 4 million copies. So 3M sounds about right for Metroid Dread.

As far as Metroid Prime is concerned: I'm absolutely convinced that Metroid Prime is the right game on the wrong platform. Had those games come out on Playstation or Xbox instead, it would have been a huge hit.

It makes me wonder if them putting so much development time into Prime 4 will be worth it for the min the end. It will be one of their longest games in production only to sell less than like Mario Golf
It won’t. Metroid needs a Breath of the Wild-style genre shakeup, and unfortunately the franchise is being run by one dev team who doesn't know what to do with the 3D first person formula, and another team who is deciding to stick with the 2D formula as it works to their benefit.

There's no Metroid visionary at the helm, it's very apparent that this is the case, and Prime 4 is being made because a team was told to do it, rather than that team wanting to.

Prime 4 is going to be one of the safest sequels Nintendo has ever made.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, although I kinda get why it’s not as popular. Nintendo still seem keen to invest in the franchise though, which is great.

Reactions: Isa

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Jesus, some of the takes in here *shudders*

Other M is as close as what Metroid would be under Sony or MS, except Adam would be a woman.

Metroid is still better than most of its imitators. Hollow Knight is an outstanding game, but it wishes it was as focused as Metroid.
Very few metroidvanias manage to capture the very essence of Metroid. The boss fights rarely feel as epic. The power-ups virtually never feel as integrated into the very character as they do in Metroid thanks to the suit and its incorporated arm cannon. The setpieces in Metroid are still in a league of their own - the final sections of Metroid 2 and Super, and the buildups to major boss fights in Prime, are industry-leading examples on how to make your game cinematic without forgetting what medium you’re using.

Metroid doesn’t sell gangbusters because it’s mostly the opposite of what the market and the people want.
It doesn’t tell a grand story full of scares and twists and space marines.
It has very little dialogue and it has no underlying message.
It doesn’t let you explore a whole galaxy or universe.
It doesn’t hold your hand, resorting to visual cues and hints to find the way on.
Metroid is still a gameplay-first game, focused and polished around very few gameplay tenets. It’s as no-nonsense as gaming can get while still retaining a character, a story, a lore, a history. This is why it’s not interesting for a vast audience, even if on paper it could be.

Isa

It has its niche to be sure, along with quite a large cult following and critical reputation. Not to mention the absolute glut of indies aping its formula often to middling results. I love the OG's but due to the time-period and other first person exposure I was very disappointed in Prime. It felt like I had no freedom of control, which is pretty important in an FP game. I want to freely explore and take in the gorgeous world. I do respect what it was trying to do however and if a collection was ever released I'd buy and try it again with a more tolerating and open mind.

I think as stated the game is very rooted to its' own old school game design which is far more involved than more popular franchises. That will both limit its reach but also solidify it within certain circles for those that appreciate needing to figure things out on their own. The other thing going against it in my humble opinion is the art style. The aliens are fine but can vary according to taste and the classic Samus suit lacks that specific human identity which most people will latch onto, further lowering its potential impact for the casual base. I prefer the skin suit Samus wears and wouldn't mind a redesign but I know many would complain and I'm probably in the minority.

I think the game would do a bit better if it fleshed out the universe, let the player travel to different planets and even stations at will(provided they have found parts), and mixed up the art style. Sadly though I think it would be criticized by fans for being to different in both gameplay and style. Other M still gets flak so many years later, I think it would be best for Nintendo to let the franchise split into two routes. Something for the core audience and a new attempt inspired by the series. I imagine its a tough choice for Nintendo since in terms of investment and ROI it pales compared to other works, and the casual market just doesn't seem interested if even aware that it exists. I bet if they tweaked the formula(art, game design to help the casuals and slightly lowered difficulty, and a more involved story and characters) it would start to grow. Nothing wrong with a niche game plus it has a storied legacy that fans will adore.

Spaceman292

Banned
I dont know about other metroid games, but metroid dread is ass. I dont even understand how it got the high reviews.

The game is very repetitive and you dont have alot of weapons to use, lack of enemy varieties and world design is lacking. I fucking hate the chasing mechanic in this stupid game.
Imo, theres no reason to play Metroid when the superior castlevanie games are still around.
Sounds like you didn't even play it

Definitely too demanding for your standard Nintendo player. Dread was fun, but it was the most linear Metroid ever. You are constantly pushed on the path. So it was a bit disappointing in this regard. It was a great game otherwise, and also a game that performed well on the Switch, with a good/clean picture and good framerate. That's actually unbelievable lol.
Nah. That would be Fusion, Prime 3, or Other M. All three of those games are truly more linear and have more sections where it blocks off backtracking to the player. Dread has a bunch of sequence breaking, and it doesn’t even give as many hints/waypoints as Fusion/Zero Mission.

Dread is very similar to Zero Mission in that it has guidance for newer players, but sequence breaking for more experienced players to exploit for replay variety. Super has the least amount of hints and the most sequence breaking, but they aren’t going to ever go back to that design for fear of losing more casual players. Fusion in particular is programmed to soft lock if you manage to sequence break, so it’s definitely the most linear 2D game.

Last edited:

cireza

That would be Fusion
Fusion is linear at first but it has an interconnected world that completely opens up at the end. Dread has nothing like this. The game is full of teleporters and elevators which constantly send you to the next place.

Not having sequence breaking does not make a game linear. It is unrelated. It is a nice bonus to get more out of your game, but this is for subsequent playthroughs.

Last edited:
Fusion is linear at first but it has an interconnected world that completely opens up at the end. Dread has nothing like this.

Not having sequence breaking does not make a game linear. It is unrelated. It is a nice bonus to get more out of your game, but this is for subsequent playthroughs.
Dread has the teleporters, which are functionally the same as the secret passages in Fusion. Near the end of the game (Before Raven Beak’s) fortress, you can go anywhere in Dread, so I’m not sure what you mean that it doesn’t open up. Having different paths opened up and being able to get items in different order is literally less linear than being stuck on the item progression path that you can’t deviate from in Fusion. Fusion has one main path you follow for upgrade progression and then you can open up everything at the end with screw attack and get any missed items.

Dread is pretty much “opened up” early in the game if you know the right shortcuts and get certain items out of the order the game guides you in.

cireza

Dread has the teleporters, which are functionally the same as the secret passages in Fusion. Near the end of the game (Before Raven Beak’s) fortress, you can go anywhere in Dread, so I’m not sure what you mean that it doesn’t open up. Having different paths opened up and being able to get items in different order is literally less linear than being stuck on the item progression path that you can’t deviate from in Fusion. Fusion has one main path you follow for upgrade progression and then you can open up everything at the end with screw attack and get any missed items.

Dread is pretty much “opened up” early in the game if you know the right shortcuts and get certain items out of the order the game guides you in.
Dread doesn't feel interconnected like Fusion at all. There are a number of areas but you won't move from one to another without a loading through a teleporter or elevator. I found this very disappointing for a 2D Metroid.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I was in NYC last month and bought a Bunch of stuff from the Nintendo Store, there was literally NOTHING Metroid there.

What a fucking disappointment.
Did you ask? I remember they have a few t-shirts for sure, and def some other stuff. I've been there two years ago so maybe that changed.

Astral Dog

This is very true. 2D side scrollers do not exactly generate a lot of hype. So I can't wait to see the hype generated by Metroid Prime 4 once it finally nears release. Gonna be massive.

Edit: Is it really a niche franchise though? I don't agree with that assessment at all. I guess we will see if times have changed once Prime 4 releases. If Nintendo markets it properly it should be huge.
well, its a more 'niche' brand in comparison to other game series(Nintendo and otherwise) idk how else to say it.for example remember when people put Metroid Prime against HALO because they were first person space shooters

in reality those two have completely different appeal and design, you can't make a Metroid exactly like HALO or it will change what makes Metroid, 'Metroid' to the fanbase and developers, unfortunately, that means less sales in this case, so there is a bigger appeal to the HALO brand,regardless of quality.

Nothing wrong with this imo,because Metroid is still strong,and as you said Metroid Prime 4 launch will be big and bring new players, no doubt the series will reach new heights.

Dread doesn't feel interconnected like Fusion at all. There are a number of areas but you won't move from one to another without a loading through a teleporter or elevator. I found this very disappointing for a 2D Metroid.
But that’s just a limitation of it being a 3D game on an underpowered system. Probably had to break the game up into sections with diagetic loading screens as a compromise for being 900p/60fps. I mean it’s like the Prime games really what with all the elevators in 1 and 2. Hell all the Metroid games break up sections with elevators or something similar. Dread just has long loading time versions of the “elevators”because it’s not just sprites anymore.

Functionally it’s still interconnected. Arguably the teleporters are a lazier way to connect levels, but they still serve the same purpose of being shortcuts to explore for item pickups. But Dread has a bunch of ways to get to certain items and therefore teleporters/elevators earlier, and can be “opened up” sooner, if you know what you’re doing on a subsequent playthrough, or even experiment enough on an initial playthrough.

That’s not to say one style of game is better than another. I love Fusion and Dread. Fusion is more linear but because of that the pacing is top notch and the bosses are more fine-tuned to what weapons you have available. I love Dread because I can make my own path through the game and get stuff early/have more freedom.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I did ask, they only had an orange hoodie, shameful.
Damn, I guess it didn't sell. I didn't buy any because I didn't like the design and also all their shirts are not 100% cotton. I finally found a shirt I liked for Metroid and forgot it in my rental in Miami.

Fbh

Well metroidvanias don't seem to be that popular in general. It's not like other games in the genre are far outselling Metroid.
And I think the setting and style is just more niche, dark Sci Fi doesn't have the same universal appeal of something like fantasy.

Though I also agree Metroid has more alternatives. Personally I vastly prefer games like SOTN and Hollow Knight over every Metroid. But when it comes to stuff like Zelda there's a lot of games that have been inspired by it but hardly any that really scratch the same itch (successfully)

cireza

But that’s just a limitation of it being a 3D game on an underpowered system.
And it sucks.

Functionally it’s still interconnected. Arguably the teleporters are a lazier way to connect levels
And it is super lazy. It was a given in 3D games, never liked it much to be honest. But this is a 2D game and I was hoping for something closer to the originals in terms of world construction. Don't get me wrong : I was really pleasantly surprised and super happy of having a quality game like Dread made by Mercury Steam. I had 0 hope to begin with.

That’s not to say one style of game is better than another. I love Fusion and Dread.
I enjoyed both games a lot, I was simply stating an issue I had with Dread, being how streamlined the game is.

Fusion is more linear
Really I can't agree with that. You are sent to the right places, but the exploration is still up to the player and even in a closed zone, there is still some investigation to be done to find your way. It is not that straightforward. In Dread, you simply can't get lost. This, with the fact that we don't have some mind-blowing vertical/horizontal traversal revealed end game, was a major let-down. But good game overall, obviously. Sequence Breaking is a nice bonus, of course, but not essential. This is for hardcore gamers. I did a lot of Sequence Breaking in Metroid games, it is nice and all, but not essential.

Last edited:

RCU005

Metroid will on reach Mario numbers when Nintendo takes it seriously and transforms the franchise into a AAA one. Also, it would benefit with current tech graphics and whatnot. This franchise should be Nintendo's Halo, but sadly nothing like this will ever happen.

Nintendo is too deep into children games and will never give a chance to this genre. People could argue they did it with Bayoneta, for example, but that was more of an exception.

shiru

Banned
Metroid will on reach Mario numbers when Nintendo takes it seriously and transforms the franchise into a AAA one. Also, it would benefit with current tech graphics and whatnot. This franchise should be Nintendo's Halo, but sadly nothing like this will ever happen.

Nintendo is too deep into children games and will never give a chance to this genre. People could argue they did it with Bayoneta, for example, but that was more of an exception.
LMAO
The avatar, the post. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

RCU005

LMAO
The avatar, the post. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I used to have a Metroid Dread avatar right before this one, so what about the avatar?

Metroid is a franchise with huge potential, but Nintendo will never exploit it. If they were able to do games like PlayStation do, as well as what they already do with Mario, they would be even more successful.

Just imagine franchises like Metroid, Star Fox, F Zero, and others to be given the AAA treatment.

Unpopular is the wrong word to use when describing Metroid. It would imply people don't like the game. People do like Metroid games, but not enough people have been willing to try out the series if they've never played it before. That will continue to change as big games go through longer development times. These longer gaps in AAA game releases only serves to put a bigger focus on them when they do release. Metroid Prime 4 is going to sell like hotcakes. That's my take.

You don't need to an M rating to have a mature AAA experience or good storytelling. Metroid being rated T for teen and being kid friendly is far, far and away from what's harming it.

If anything, Halo 1 would have probably been a T rated game if it weren't for a few curse words and little blood splatter effects, because the magic of Halo had nothing to do with that.

Again, the main issue Metroid has is that there's no visionary leading it. Look at the Nintendo directs whenever they present a new Zelda, Mario, or Smash game. You see the director of the game come out being excited to show what they have for fans, because they're excited about evolving their franchises. Compare this to whenever Prime 4 is brought up on direct. No excited studio director, no special guests, and instead it's mostly apologies about delays from the host.

yurinka

It doesn't surprise me, Metroid never has been popular when compared to the big Nintendo IPs, it always sold less and frequently people forget it when mentioning their favorite Nintendo IPs or games. So I understand that Nintendo would pretty much ignore or not invest a lot of it. Even if it makes me sad because I see a lot of potential in the IP to make games, anime and movies.

But hey, kudos to Mercury Steam for developing the best selling Metroid game ever and the best selling Castlevania game ever. As someone from Spain I feel proud of seeing from my country achieving this. And well, I even met in person some of their staff including higher ups.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
https://www.denofgeek.com/games/met...en I saw the actual,less than 3 million units

This article puts Metroids sales on Nintendo platforms into perspective. Metroid Dread sold 3 million copies, which definitely is not terrible in the slightest, especially for whats essentially a 6- 8 hour 2d shooter. Whats surprising is the fact that its the BEST selling Metroid game (by almost double) in it’s entire 36 year history as a nintendo franchise. With about 12 games that puts the series lifetime sales at around 20m. Metroid Dread is essentially the GTAV of the series.

Now compared to games like Splatoon 3 which sold 3 million copies in just 3 days, or Luigi’s mansion, Ring Fit Adventure, or even Kirby…Nintendo fans buy games in bulk. All their first party games do huge numbers, while Metroid is still doing Mario Sports spinoff numbers.

With the amount of reverence Metroid gets amongst gaming enthusiast its kind of insane to me that Nintendo fans almost don’t care about the franchise at all till this day.
Metroid Prime is AAA top calibre gaming that had the misfortune to be tied to two platforms considered "kiddie" Gamecube and Wii...if these were remastered for Switch they would sell 5-15 million each easily.

Marvel14

Banned
I think you said it - Metroid is popular with gaming enthusiasts and the vast majority of Nintendo sales are the complete opposite of gaming enthusiast. Given the absolutely massive disparity of first party sales vs third party sales I would guess that a large number of Switch owners see it as a Splatoon or Mario Kart of Animal Crossing handheld and not a video game handheld.
"Gaming enthusiast" is the new "real" or "hardcore" gamer isn't it? For the woke generation. LMFAO

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I feel part of it is that the games are damn tough. I've played the vast majority of them but I don't think I've beaten a single one.

I feel like everyone appreciates the series, has played some of the games, but lots of people don't buy them because of the difficulty.

Not saying I want an easy mode or for the games to change, just giving some thoughts.

Knightime_X

I'm deeply saddened by Metroid Dread.
The controls are not good in my opinion.
Had there been an option to change a few buttons I would be able to enjoy the game.

FStubbs

Despite what Miyamoto claims, Nintendo can't make Halo, nor should they try. They need to do what they do best.

Yeah it's a bummer that Metroid is not more popular. But at least it's great. Honestly the weirder it is, the better. Exploring a spooky planet, solving environmental puzzles and searching for paths and upgrades, having cool boss fights and trippin' on atmospheric music is where it's at. People can play halo if they want a more mainstream game

RCU005

You don't need to an M rating to have a mature AAA experience or good storytelling. Metroid being rated T for teen and being kid friendly is far, far and away from what's harming it.

I don’t mean make Metroid rated M (although it would benefit it a lot), but it would be great if it had a production value as good as god of war, Uncharted and whatnot.

Nintendo has incredible franchises other than Mario and Zelda, but they don’t really care about them.

With that said though, maybe they know they can’t make them AAA because they have outdated consoles. It’s a strategy that has worked for them so well, but not all franchises might work without state of the art specs.

Metroid was never wildly popular even on the NES and SNES.

When Nintendo started skewing younger in their user base, Metroid was a franchise that was even more of an outlier because the audience wasn't there to support it.

It would be great if Nintendo someday decided to put their games on other platforms, because some games if not all games would sell even more than they have to date, and they could still sell their handhelds. Sony came to this realization late, but we'll see how Nintendo fares.

Metroid Prime did what Castlevania couldn't, so it's an absolute shame that it hasn't played a larger role in gaming.

Despite what some have said the Switch really isn't any different. Look at the best selling 3rd party games on Switch... you aren't seeing much success there either.

Flutta

Banned
Dread is still the best game I've played in 10 years
Kobe Bryant What GIF

So basically what your saying is your taste in games is shit.

Top Bottom