• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

does anyone else also think that RE:Village is quite idiotic?

assurdum

Banned
this is just my personal opinion so feel free to disagree with me.

I am criticising but I am not even talking about the forgettable music and voice acting, or the generic enemy designs, the stupid dialogues, or a plot and a setting that make zero sense. I am talking about immersion, AKA the whole point of a horror game. in my opinion, Capcom did very little to improve the game over RE7. Admittedly, the sound effects are quite good, and the graphics, although pretty much the same, are fairly pleasant to look at. but the fact that lady Dimitrescue roams the halls, haunting you everywhere you go but stops right behind the Merchant's door, pacing up and down waiting for you to come out, or getting your entire hand and forearm chopped off just to reattach it time and again, is EXTREMELY STUPID. It completely ruined the immersion. how did this game win so many awards?
in all honesty, I haven't finished the game yet simply because the game is terrible at maintaining immersion, so much that you feel intellectually offended to continue
I finished RE7 3 times and enjoyed almost every aspect of that game. but RE8 felt like an imitation, and a weak one at that, in the hope of emulating the success of its predecessor.

should I continue ?
I have to say: are you new to RE story?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I liked it.

I mean, the remarks about immersion are to prevent frustration. Same with complaining that the Clickers in TLOU ignore your brain dead AI partners instead of instantly killing all of you because Ellie is clipping into a wall repeatedly. Maybe it's non immersive that Dimitrescu doesn't follow you into the merchant's room, but it would surely piss you off going to upgrade your guns and getting constantly Wolverined, too

H . R . 2

I have to say: are you new to RE story?
not at all, I just think they just gave up on that shred of logic they used to have and said what the hell, let's have werewolves and a witch and hammer guy
I did not enjoy REmake 3 for a similar reason, RE2 was much more grounded and therefore more enjoyable, FOR ME !

H . R . 2

I liked it.

I mean, the remarks about immersion are to prevent frustration. Same with complaining that the Clickers in TLOU ignore your brain dead AI partners instead of instantly killing all of you because Ellie is clipping into a wall repeatedly. Maybe it's non immersive that Dimitrescu doesn't follow you into the merchant's room, but it would surely piss you off going to upgrade your guns and getting constantly Wolverined, too
agreed , all I am saying is that either Dimitrescue or the safe room shouldn't have been put there in the first place

Patrick S.

Banned
I liked it.

Maybe she has a bad case of rheumatism and that's why she can't duck through that particular door.

H . R . 2

7 and 8 are way better than 5 and 6. I prefer them to 3 and 0 too. They had made a good comeback to classic gameplay elements
yes
still, nothing beats the visual fidelity and style of RE5
It blew my mind when it was shown at E3 for the first time and then again when I first played it on 360
it was heavenly

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
yes
still, nothing beats the visual fidelity and style of RE5
I blew my mind when it was shown at E3 for the first time and then again when I first played it on 360
it was heavenly

I never ever finished the first village in RE5. The game felt way too stressful and frightening, haha. The big guy with the engine block on a stick was the end of me, just couldn't finish him. Uninstalled out of frustration and never played again. Also that AI companion chick was BAAAAAD and useless.

H . R . 2

I enjoyed the game and I loved its craziness, not gonna lie. Also I also believe RE7 and RE8 are among the best RE games.

And let me add something about logic in videogames, specially in the RE universe, it’s all about entertainment the story goes beyond logic
I agree but even TLOU, a game about zombies [clickers] features a great story. if anything, it only adds to the entertainment value

I was not talking about the existence of the Safe Room, but its location. In REmake2 it was placed in areas where you don't experience many encounters and overall, it was handled slightly better

It wasn't just the quality of the dialogues, but also the way they were scripted into the game. they sound random as if they were not written with no regard to story progression
Yea thats pretty much every game. Games usually have garbage dialogue/story. I personally expect this with every japanese game. I cant think of a single one with a realistic story that was good. Think that's why dark souls doesnt really bother for the most part.

just couldn't finish him. Uninstalled out of frustration and never played again.
You're not supposed to fight him (you can, but you don't have to), there's a bus in the center of the map where you can just sit inside and kill the regular zombies, he can't enter.
Also that AI companion chick was BAAAAAD and useless.
With the amount I played it online, the AI was often tons better than actual humans; I don't think I ever got past the giant shooter stage with a human partner on PRO difficulty, the AI has laser perfect aim and does it no problem, human partners would fuck it up all the time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
well as a teacher I work 9 hours a day So I still haven't finished the game. however the premise of the game sounded logical and interesting to me
I'm sorry dude but I gotta.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Hope you get some enjoyment from the game if you stick with it

I agree but even TLOU, a game about zombies [clickers] features a great story. if anything, it only adds to the entertainment value

Imo, it’s all about the story. TLOU sets its own “universe” with its unique logic, probably close to our real world one, however the Resident Evil universe is not that close and it has never pretended to, and the more entries the less “real”it is.

If you finish RE8 you will understand many of those idiotic thoughts you had initially, because you will get most (if not all) of the answers.

RE revolves around the T-Virus, and as for RE7 it shows its adaptation into a redneck family, while in RE8 it adapts itself the culture of an isolated village in eastern Europe stuck in their past, with their own culture and fears.

I’m not defending its logic, I’m just saying its logic doesn’t have to match ours.

Just enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
That's why I go to the codex to see what the truth is with this shit.

Everywhere else has that 'honeymoon phase' where everything is great just cause it's new and looks pretty.

Reactions: CZY

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I am criticising but I am not even talking about the forgettable music and voice acting, or the generic enemy designs, the stupid dialogues, or a plot and a setting that make zero sense. I am talking about immersion, AKA the whole point of a horror game. in my opinion, Capcom did very little to improve the game over RE7. Admittedly, the sound effects are quite good, and the graphics, although pretty much the same, are fairly pleasant to look at. but the fact that lady Dimitrescue roams the halls, haunting you everywhere you go but stops right behind the Merchant's door, pacing up and down waiting for you to come out,

There are many things in games that don't make any sense.
You have a wanted level in GTAV and you can bring it down to zero by just hiding in some bushes. MANY games have specific sones where enemies refuse to chase you. It's just that in several Resident Evil games that allows a safe zone.
or getting your entire hand and forearm chopped off just to reattach it time and again, is EXTREMELY STUPID. It completely ruined the immersion. how did this game win so many awards?

Resident Evil 7 Report:
Initial Infection
The mold ingests nutrients from the subject's body to propagate itself, and slowly takes over cells within the body

As a side effect of this, the infected subject gains remarkable regenerative abilities.

During experiments, we removed arms and legs from test subjects and found that they were able to coapt the amputated limbs in a matter of minutes.

Mid-stage Infection
Once the mold reaches the brain, the subject's thoughts become "in tune" with those of the E-Series asset

If this state continues, the host will lose all sense of ego.

Ethan is able to reattach his limbs in the first game because he was infected. He was also in the mid-stage of the infection with the E-Series because he was able to see Eveline.
in all honesty, I haven't finished the game yet simply because the game is terrible at maintaining immersion, so much that you feel intellectually offended to continue
I finished RE7 3 times and enjoyed almost every aspect of that game. but RE8 felt like an imitation, and a weak one at that, in the hope of emulating the success of its predecessor.

should I continue ?

Read the spoilers after finishing the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's just a well working RE formula. It was always this stupid when you think about it.
I really enjoyed headphones atmosphere in this one and loved the game. I do agree - the castle part was the best

Filben

RE series always had some weird things going on though the extent have differed from title to title. Speaking of the Ethan offspin, he got cut off his hand, too, and re-attached there; also his leg depending on your actions. So he's kinda used to it... as for other characters, they were always b-movie trash in the entire series and none was to take seriously.

I enjoyed it just a little bit more than RE7 although I expected much more from the plot and village scenario. I found the setting in RE7 way better, but the number of enemy types were worse. It also felt too much like SAW with too much gore compared to horror atmosphere. It's not that I don't like gore, but it was so focused on and repeated that it's gotten boring.

Anyways, I think it's a good, entertaining game, nothing more or less.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think the characters have a lot of charisma to them when you consider the whole story of the game. This world is formed by a virus, much like the horror is created in the house in RE7. It could craft stories of the virus being out there in the wild. It’s about how bizarre and twisted everything can get and how big of a nightmare it creates for a normal human. Village has a very fairy tale feeling to it, which is basically pointed at during the intro. It has a lot of quality to it. What other game does this? RE7 could easily pass as the best game influenced from the house in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. What other game lets you walk along side a snowy mountain into a dark castle or house full of you know what? Step inside a house with death around every corner? When it comes to a down to earth person exploring a hellish like scenario, what other game brings this much atmosphere to it and twists everything in front of it.

For as much as fans want to walk down a dilapidated city or a laboratory hidden underground. RE7 and Village opened up the door to a lot of possibilities and what ifs.

Last edited:

Camreezie

To each their own, I loved how each section was with a different horror sub genre in mind. It definitely went down hill after Beneviento though

Knightime_X

I am criticising but I am not even talking about the forgettable music and voice acting, or the generic enemy designs, the stupid dialogues, or a plot and a setting that make zero sense. I am talking about immersion, AKA the whole point of a horror game. in my opinion, Capcom did very little to improve the game over RE7. Admittedly, the sound effects are quite good, and the graphics, although pretty much the same, are fairly pleasant to look at. but the fact that lady Dimitrescue roams the halls, haunting you everywhere you go but stops right behind the Merchant's door, pacing up and down waiting for you to come out, or getting your entire hand and forearm chopped off just to reattach it time and again, is EXTREMELY STUPID. It completely ruined the immersion. how did this game win so many awards?

should I continue ?
Finish the game and you'll know why things are the way they are.

The problem with alot of the modern Resident Evils, or even some Survival Horror in general, is they throw out the atmosphere and what they've built up during the first quarter or half of the game, for action shit in the 2nd half. RE8 suffers from this, too. Once you're out of the Castle, the game sort of goes down hill, but then you go into a certain house, and they've managed to recapture the dread, but, then once that is over, it's back to the same shit as before. I couldn't stand the laziness where they'd just throw hordes at you and you just destroy them till a cutscene triggers, or try to run passed them to start a door/lock event trigger.
Lazy fucking design. They can achieve extended game time with another area or more monster variety or even both. I don't like sitting there and just killing shit as if it were horde mode.

bender

What time is it?
Resident Evil in first person peaked during the first hour of RE7 and nose dived once you starting getting weapons.

Resident Evil games are pretty stupid.

How people with guns have any chance with these creatures. The worlds they set up have no rules. When other characters die from internal bleeding just from looking at the bosses wrong... bootleg horror games.

my random thoughts.

Kuranghi

Nah I loved it for the most part, so much of the the mechanics, ideas and tone appealed to me. Sure its not perfect and has dips but its pretty consistently fun imo. Even if you try to 100% it rewards you for going out of your way and that feeds back into the NG+.

The ability to max out as much as you can on the first run and normal and then doing Hardcore with those upgrades was near perfect difficulty for me and it only suffered from making you super OP after quite a few playthroughs unless you ground out runs to get the story drops, but thats boring. So you only became OP after you'd actually spent so much time it was appropriate. This and RE2/3 Remake to me are the antidote to western RPG-lite games with borderline terrible power journeys, which feature shit rewards for treasure/secret hunting and the journey to them isn't fun.

The RE games I love remind me of easter egg hunting/christmas day stocking puzzle solving as a child.

ethomaz

Banned
not at all, I just think they just gave up on that shred of logic they used to have and said what the hell, let's have werewolves and a witch and hammer guy
I did not enjoy REmake 3 for a similar reason, RE2 was much more grounded and therefore more enjoyable, FOR ME !
There is neither of these in the game… well there is a guy with a hammer but no werewolves or witch.

I have no ideia where you came with this conclusion unless you did not play the game.

Last edited:

lillars

Wtf? This games was amazing and my GOTY of 2020. You can not like the 1st person RE, and I can understand (yet disagree) that. But to complain about it being schlocky is ridiculous. The plat has been like that from RE1. I can't say enough good things about it. To me, it embraced everything that it's about, cheese and all, and made it incredibly fun.

Top Bottom