• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultron was the worst AI bad guy I have ever witnessed.
I had such big expectations for him. I mean, Joss Whedon's writing applied to an evil AI? How can it be wrong? Even the Pinocchio theme in the teaser seemed to confirm my idea.
And then, instead of a fascinating AI, I got fucking Clippy.

... You can't do this to me, I MADE THIS COMPANY
giphy.gif

Litan

I think they've already done a few good villains, Zemo, Pierce, Loki mostly because they kept the character around, even Ultron I think was really good, mostly because James Spader was perfect and great casting for the role, the character was only hamstrunged by screentime.

The problem is, is that they often put more emphasis on the heroes then the villains, and the villains are sort of left as an afterthought or just become cliche or boring as a result.
The problem with ultron was he suffered from Whedon over-doing the quips and the movie missed chances to show him being as threathening as he should have been. His 1vs1 fights with IM, Cap and Thor should have been a lot more one-sided (IM fight should have been last to make the final battle more personal) and he should have killed QS more directly. Other than that he was okay. Great voice-acting from Spader, nice monologues, fairly interesting creator-creation relationship with Tony.

But yeah, Pierce, Winter Soldier, Zemo, Loki and Red Skull were good. I also liked the Mandarin twist and reveal that Killian was using him to hide his mistakes and play both sides in the war on terror. Still think IM 3 has one of the best scripts in the MCU.

LionPride

Banned
Spiderman 2 is still the best superhero movie of all time, and nope, it still holds up.

Yeah....no

Spider-Man 2 was good when it came out. So was X-Men 1. So were a lot of movies that actually are not good past the year 2005. We have so much more quality wise that we don't have to delude ourselves into thinking that that movie is good. It's okay to have false opinions.

Yeah, I was a huge X-Men comic fan and I didn't like X1 at the time but my cousins thought it was hot shit even though they had never read a single issue. I watched it again last year and while it is flawed, it is a very interesting movie to analyze. It's insane the number of concepts, ideas and characters that Singer introduces in every scene. It is actually a very elegantly constructed film that sold an incredibly complicated mythology to millions of people and made it look easy. And on a 70M$ budget.

I certainly don't consider it one of the best comic-book films (though X2 is up there of course) but it deserves more respect than it gets on GAF. And very few MCU films can claim to have a scene as powerful and well directed as the opening of X-Men.

I'm actually the same way regarded X1. I haven't watched it since 2012, and I don't think it's particularly great, but I do like a lot of the concepts and nods it features. Plus until First Class, it was the only X-Men film to actually end in a real mutant brawl, with Magneto and Xavier's team going up against each other, although it could have been much bigger, I thought it was done a fairly well-done fight regardless.

LionPride

Banned
The problem with ultron was he suffered from Whedon over-doing the quips and the movie missed chances to show him being as threathening as he should have been. His 1vs1 fights with IM, Cap and Thor should have been a lot more one-sided (IM fight should have been last to make the final battle more personal) and he should have killed QS more directly. Other than that he was okay. Great voice-acting from Spader, nice monologues, fairly interesting creator-creation relationship with Tony.

But yeah, Pierce, Winter Soldier, Zemo, Loki and Red Skull were good. I also liked the Mandarin twist and reveal that Killian was using him to hide his mistakes and play both sides in the war on terror. Still think IM 3 has one of the best scripts in the MCU.

Yep. That was when I realized I really don't like Joss Whedon, we over did everything with Ultron. I could handle a few jokes, but holy Jesus he threw it on.

Iron Man 3 is better than Spider-Man 2, fight me whoever

Alright, let's meet tonight in the parking lot. Knife or bat?

I would be on Shane Black's side any day, but not for Iron Man 3. And I loved the Mandarin btw, only part of the film that was actually creative and funny.

Prompto

Banned
You're using the Raindrops scene as a positive? Deeeaaar lord.

See Guardians's intro for a waaaaay better example of diegetic sound than that.

Guardians intro doesn't work well, though. It looks and sounds nice but it doesn't add much to the overall characters or story. Raindrops actually, well, speaks towards Peter's character and how his choice to not be Spider-Man does suck but on the surface is more rewarding.

Guardians intro doesn't have depth, bruh.

Guardians intro doesn't work well, though. It looks and sounds nice but it doesn't add much to the overall characters or story. Raindrops actually, well, speaks towards Peter's character and how his choice to not be Spider-Man does suck but on the surface is more rewarding.

It's not super-deep, but it forms a nice contrapuntal moment with the surprisingly bleak first scene of the film. Also straight away constructs Star-Lord as careless, arrogant, and most likely not dealing with his issues.

The raindrops scene is so in your face. Like I'm not saying Guardians is, but it's not subtle or clever at all. You've got a painfully cheerful song while Maguire gurns at the camera in slow motion. It's not some clever directorial choice. It's blatant.

Well, the raindrops scene music isn't diegetic. So, sure.

Ah true. With Guardians it sort of blends in/out.

LionPride

Banned

That is some of the stupidest shit I've seen in film, and I saw Michael Ealy throw kids out a window.

There is only one type of person in the world that doesn't like the Raindrops montage.

And it is not a person, but a monster.

Anyway I think you guys are kneejerking a bit over the Spider-man 2 mention, they didn't say it was better just that for them this was the most satisfying Marvel movie since.

Ultron was the worst AI bad guy I have ever witnessed.

I think there have been some worse ones in more low-budget productions, but if you're talking about mainstream AI then yeah, he's not that great compared to some of the best, but I actually thought he was fairly effective and sympathetic villain brought-down by some quips.

I think one of the reasons I did like Ultron was because of the Stark / Ultron relationship. It just seemed so well-developed to me, and was very interesting.

Red Skull suffered from the hero emphasis over villain. He should have been a great baddie, especially since they cast Hugo Weaving in the role, but instead he sorta become generic. Not badly done, but just kinda there. I did think his true face scene reveal was very well-done though.

Iron Man 3's twist is something I've grown to appreciate, and I think that film is a bit underappreciated in general, however I really can't say I particularly cared for Killian as a villain. As an actual character, he was just a bit too "lame" for me frankly.

Marvel's not been particularly great with their villains. I will say that I think that some of them do get the job done as evil ha-ha badguy (well okay some of them aren't blatant), I just wish they explored their baddies more. Maybe make more villains with more sympathetic backstories like Zemo or even Ultron, after all there is a lot to pull from the comics, but I'm assuming the writers are often restricted by the studio, so oh-well.

It's not super-deep, but it forms a nice contrapuntal moment with the surprisingly bleak first scene of the film. Also straight away constructs Star-Lord as careless, arrogant, and most likely not dealing with his issues.

The raindrops scene is so in your face. Like I'm not saying Guardians is, but it's not subtle or clever at all. You've got a painfully cheerful song while Maguire gurns at the camera in slow motion. It's not some clever directorial choice. It's blatant.

You're digging too deep into the Guardians intro. If you really want to believe that's true then the ending is worse by default.

In your face is bad? Spider-man's rejection of his responsibility is supposed to be in your face--well more obvious so when the gauntlet is thrown you understand both sides. Raimi has never been a subtle director, he understands that comics are corny so you gotta live it up.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Yep. That was when I realized I really don't like Joss Whedon, we over did everything with Ultron. I could handle a few jokes, but holy Jesus he threw it on.

I gotta agree that Joss Whedon's overuse of quips in Ultron got tiring real fast. His dialogue in the Avengers films are too clever for their own good. Whereas the humor in Captain America Winter Soldier and Civil War is much more naturalistic and didn't distract from the more dramatic scenes. I can't wait to see what the Russos do with Infinity War.

Litan

I think one of the reasons I did like Ultron was because of the Stark / Ultron relationship. It just seemed so well-developed to me, and was very interesting.

Red Skull suffered from the hero emphasis over villain. He should have been a great baddie, especially since they cast Hugo Weaving in the role, but instead he sorta become generic. Not badly done, but just kinda there. I did think his true face scene reveal was very well-done though.

Iron Man 3's twist is something I've grown to appreciate, and I think that film is a bit underappreciated in general, however I really can't say I particularly cared for Killian as a villain. As an actual character, he was just a bit too "lame" for me frankly.

Marvel's not been particularly great with their villains. I will say that I think that some of them do get the job done as evil ha-ha badguy (well okay some of them aren't blatant, I just wish they explored their baddies more. Maybe make more villains with more sympathetic backstories like Zemo or even Ultron, after all there is a lot to pull from the comics, but I'm assuming the writers are often restricted by the studio, so oh-well.
I'm hoping the 'villains are trapped in Infinity Stones and will be back for IW/A4 alongside Thanos' theory turns out to be correct. Ultron and Red Skull would really benefit from more screentime and being in the hands of the Russos.

What about the bad guy from MI4.

I'm drawing a blank. Was there even a villain?

At least MI3 had Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
MI4 is so much better than MI5 and MI3 it's not even a contest. MI2 is in another category, while MI is the best one.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm hoping the 'villains are trapped in Infinity Stones and will be back for IW/A4 alongside Thanos' theory turns out to be correct. Ultron and Red Skull would really benefit from more screentime and being in the hands of the Russos.
More screentime when there are 15 additional Avengers next to the 6 Villains that are also in these movies?

MI4 is so much better than MI5 and MI3 it's not even a contest. MI2 is in another category, while MI is the best one.

I like MI4 a lot but MI5 was much closer to the tone of the older stuff. I definitely preferred it and 3 over 4. But it's close on all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom