• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you put salt on watermelon?

Do you put salt on watermelon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chromhound

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

i heard people put mustard...

dr_octagon

Banned
As an avid watermelon consumer, are you out of your fucking mind?
If you knew the history of watermelon eating, you would realise some people will salt fruit including said watermelon🧂

My thesis in watermelon consumption in the 21st century speaks for itself brah.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Confused Liam Neeson GIF

Seriously !? What is wrong with a normal watermelon ?
edit I found this when I googled that insanity on the web :
But why exactly is salt such a good pair for watermelon? Read on to find out how salt helps enhance the flavor of many fruits, not just watermelon.

What Does Salt Do for Watermelon?​

Watermelon, especially ones that are a little underripe or just not that tasty, has a faint hint of bitterness and tart underneath all the sweet. Salt naturally cuts through those bitter notes, making the sweetness stand out more and be the star of each bite.

Salt can do this for more than watermelon, too. Naturally bitter foods, like Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and kale, are frequently well salted to help balance the food's bite and improve the desirable flavors. Other fruits, like grapefruit and cranberries, have a fair bit of bitterness compared to sweetness. Salt is a great way to enhance these fruits' natural sweetness.
So it help mask bad watermelons bitterness. I understand now why you said vegan friendly. Better to salt watermelon than to put it in the trash can I suppose.

Last edited:

Tams

Don't knock this until you've tried it. Unlike cheddar 'cheese' on an apple pie, it's actually quite good.

At festivals in Japan you can get cucumbers with salt and chilli powder on them. They are also quite good. I believe something like that is also very popular in Mexico/Central America (never been).

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Don't knock this until you've tried it. Unlike cheddar 'cheese' on an apple pie, it's actually quite good.

At festivals in Japan you can get cucumbers with salt and chilli powder on them. They are also quite good. I believe something like that is also very popular in Mexico/Central America (never been).
Yes it is popular in Mexico don't know about Central and South America

If you knew the history of watermelon eating, you would realise some people will salt fruit including said watermelon🧂

My thesis in watermelon consumption in the 21st century speaks for itself brah.
One of my biggest issues with watermelon, and why it should never be considered a top tier fruit is its variance. S tier fruit like apples and bananas will always deliver a very consistent flavor all things being equal.

You could get a shit watermelon, simply because it's a shit watermelon. Same for cantaloupe.

Top Bottom