• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you hate getting comboed in fighting games for 10+ seconds?

I hear this all across the net, one of things people hate is being on the receiving end of a long combo and feeling like they might as well put the controller down. “Is it my turn yet?” “When do I get to play?”

Well, Samurai Shodown is on sale for $9 on PSN right now. High damage, almost no combos, slower paced, more methodical, a thinking mans game… one of the last honest fighting games imo. It’s less than the cost of a Quarter Pounder meal at McDonald’s… and more healthy!

SNK is also working on implementing rollback net code. What’s not to like? Support this game and give it a shot! While there’s certainly less players online than something like Tekken or Street Fighter, there are active discords and usually a few rooms open at any given time. People complain about the net code (what’s new) but if you can stomach Smash online, you’ll be fine here.

This is the chance for you to do more then just complain online! Support a good game!
Nine dollars until May 10! Come on, come on!

6zlySzR.jpg

tZaO1M1.jpg
LYvYkgZ.jpg

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yes! but i still love fighting games. I played Samurai Showdown a bit on Stadia back in the day, I'm sorry to say I didn't like it at all and hardly anyone played it online.

Last edited:

Crayon

Yeah I'm sure it feels like ten seconds when you are panicking and wondering why your inputs aren't going in.

And I don't think that person will feel any better when they eat a counterhit from a hard slash, lose a massive chunk of life and insist they were blocking.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes. This is why I like Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter. Once you lose the ability to react youre literally not playing. Someone can get 1 correct read and then you have to just sit there for 10 seconds. Not engaging. Flash over substance.

Rubik8

I noticed this annoying trend with Street Fighter 4 and it’s ridiculous combo animations that take forever. They are fun the first time you see them but after that just irritating.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
We've had anti combo mechanics implemented in fighting games like burst in gg strive. You can also block the combos and learn the types of combos that character will attempt. Learn your matchups and bread and butter before you go online

Fuz

Banned
If someone is able to combo me for 10+ seconds, they deserve all the time.

That crap is HARD.

EDIT: I'm not talking about auto combos or long super animations, but as someone who is (was) only able to do Akuma BnB combos unconsistently I admire who can pull those off.

Last edited:
There are all kinds of fighting games.

People that play fighting games with long combos know what they are getting into, "the fun" of those games is to master setups that lead to openings and also the combos that follow those.

Other than that scrubs will complain about anything that make them lose, to much projectiles? to much pressure? SPAM...

To much mix ups, block strings? GAME'S TOO RANDOM.

I personally didn't like SF5(I prefer more controlled, footsie heavy games like St a d SF4) just didn't play it instead of complaining.

Fighting games is the only game genre in existence where a 35 year old game is the top dog. People really need top complaining and start to give new shit a chance.

Last edited:
We've had anti combo mechanics implemented in fighting games like burst in gg strive. You can also block the combos and learn the types of combos that character will attempt. Learn your matchups and bread and butter before you go online
Just a fun correction, you Can Not block combos LOL.

You can block the attack that opens you up to the combo, if some shit is blockable is not a true combo.

kuncol02

Banned
To avoid the negative emotion of getting combo’d someone should make a fighting game that’s exclusively 1 hit kill projectiles, that would be sure to please everyone.
We already had one hit one kill figting games. International Karate on C64, there was also some samurai game on PS2 where fight could actually end on first move.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If someone is able to combo me for 10+ seconds, they deserve all the time.

That crap is HARD.

EDIT: I'm not talking about auto combos or long super animations, but as someone who is (was) only able to do Akuma BnB combos unconsistently I admire who can pull those off.
it's difficult performing it in the training area, let alone finding an opportunity to do it in a match and not flubbing.

they worked hard to get to the state theyre in now, and there are plenty of beginner areas wher you can get better

Knightime_X

That's the nature of the beast with games like Dragan Ball Fighters and marvel vs games.

Some people really like it.
That's fine, it's not for everyone though.

Getting OTG (Off the ground) comboed annoys me the most.

Last edited:

Crayon

Long combos / juggles have never bothered me. What grinds my gears is all this cinematic supers, shaky-zoom cam and nuclear explosion trash that seem to be all the rage now. THAT shit pisses me off.

Yes, now that is pretty obnoxious. Ironically, makes for good viewing tho. The audience at a big event goes nuts for a 5 seconds every time.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I hear this all across the net, one of things people hate is being on the receiving end of a long combo and feeling like they might as well put the controller down. “Is it my turn yet?” “When do I get to play?”

Well, Samurai Shodown is on sale for $9 on PSN right now. High damage, almost no combos, slower paced, more methodical, a thinking mans game… one of the last honest fighting games imo. It’s less than the cost of a Quarter Pounder meal at McDonald’s… and more healthy!

SNK is also working on implementing rollback net code. What’s not to like? Support this game and give it a shot! While there’s certainly less players online than something like Tekken or Street Fighter, there are active discords and usually a few rooms open at any given time. People complain about the net code (what’s new) but if you can stomach Smash online, you’ll be fine here.

This is the chance for you to do more then just complain online! Support a good game!
Nine dollars until May 10! Come on, come on!

6zlySzR.jpg

tZaO1M1.jpg
LYvYkgZ.jpg
Pull up and play with me and I'll buy it. No cap.

MiguelItUp

I love fighting games, always have since I was younger. But I definitely hate infinite juggles, combos, or anything close to it. Especially if the game has no way to combat it and all you can really do is, well, take it. Lol.

Im almost ranked Diamond in Street Fighter V and I suppose im one of those folks who will hit people with a long combo...I don't really mind it(Try playing those grand masters, warlord ranked folks in SFV lol..you just put the controller down).

My issue is the camera shit..like I love guilty gear and used to play it ranked for hours on end on the old installments, but Strive turned meo ff, too much movement that makes me feel like im pulled out of the action.

Pelao

I'm not very good at fighting games, but I still love long, flashy combos. It's part of the experience. Yes, sometimes you get unlucky and you're on the receiving end, but still, I love that they exist and I wouldn't have it any other way.

An old high school buddy was/is a Tekken savant. He had ALL of King's multiple throw linkers on autodial, dude was a machine.

Lethal01

Yeah long combos bore me whether I am doing them or getting hit by them, knowing an opponent can't actually do anything to stop me just makes me lose interest.

Killer Instinct's combo breaker mechanic was a cool idea to prevent this, but it was hardly skill based because you basically have to get lucky by predicting which button your opponent is gonna use

So many players were muscle memory-d into pulling the same combos/button choices during a match it was a pretty "fair" combo breaker system. You also have things like evading and counter attack to break a combo, it was pretty good at giving you one or two chances to break a combo too. After that you were ultra fucked though.

I thought I was the only person in the world that didn’t like long 30 second combos especially on the receiving end. I like it better when both opponents get opportunities to poke, feint and fight each other, not one juggle or strike and it’s all over with a long, highly damaging combo that seemingly lasts forever.

SeraphJan

I thought I was the only person in the world that didn’t like long 30 second combos especially on the receiving end. I like it better when both opponents get opportunities to poke, feint and fight each other, not one juggle or strike and it’s all over with a long, highly damaging combo that seemingly lasts forever.
Long combo + Reset heavy games, they call it "One-player" game for a reason

A long ass combo follow up by a Reset or Wakeup mixup into another long ass combo is the worst type of gameplay

Last edited:
Top Bottom