• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the idea of modern controls (SF6) bother you? I have a solution! 😈

zC9sA3p.jpg

Modern controls in SF6 seem to be a potential problem. Being able to react to moves and jumps with supers instantly, or have the game literally pick the best option for you with auto combos, is worrying, especially with some top players even saying they will give it a try. I think it will probably be fine in the end, but I do also think it’s going to make the army of online Kens even more annoying to deal with.

But there are still games out there that retain that classic old school goodness… and one happens to be on sale for the price of a hamburger!

PVzBxNm.jpg

Until May 22nd one of the best fighting games is on sale for $2.99 as part of the larger Arc System Works Publisher sale on steam.

Beautiful spritework, plenty of modes (M.O.M!)
And a bunch of great PC exclusive features, like GGPO rollback net code, and the already robust training mode has one of the best features ever created - REPLAY TAKEOVER if you don’t know what this is you need to watch this video

Should be implemented in every fighting game, it’s beyond helpful, and possibly the single greatest tool a player could have at their disposal.

So if modern controls and the general simplifying and dumbing down of fighting games has you down and questioning if you’re even living in the right timeline, don’t worry, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core plus R exists! And even better there are players regularly playing!
As of this post there’s a little over 100 people playing it (noon on a Monday lol) and it regularly has more people playing it then GG Xrd rev2.
For $2.99 it seems like a no brainer!
59pNkeo.jpg

Heaven and Hell are waiting for you!

ZcyeouY.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if you hate modern, responsive and simple controls consider playing Super Smash Bros. Melee. the controls there are so fucked that even pro players mess up their ledgedashes every once in a while. Enjoy practicing in the training room for months straight, honing your techskill before you can even get the chance to 'participate' (get royally bodied) in a first match

(I like Melee BTW, this is a joke.)

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
SF6 has a target on its back (for reasons) but it is FAR from the first game to have "modern" control types, or SIS (simplified input systems). They just call them "modern control type" and for someone everyone just BITCHS like crazy.

Accessibility is a H U G E hot button topic with software publishers and customer content platforms (Steam, Google Play, Apple Store, Oculus Store, etc) so much so that new submissions MUST follow certain accessibility guidelines to be eligible for publishing and download by users.

I am not saying that a publisher required Capcom to include "modern control type", I am providing insight as to why more and more games have accessibility options.

Also, it's smart to offer more options when it comes to Lot check or TRC's, IE provide more than just the base requirement. If your software doesn't supporting a feature or a spec you may be able to barter with the support you have in other areas to pass their review reqs.

DelireMan7

I haven't look the details but it looks like it's basically shortcut for throw, parry etc... It was already there in other games.

For auto combo, I don't know the details but for example in FighterZ it's always the same so extremely predictable. But still you could interrupt it and go manual in between to brain your opponent.

In the screenshot you posted I don't see mention of the game selecting the best option for you.

Nydius

I’m an old fart whose days of memorizing every fighter’s combo commands are over. I’m fine with “modern” controls. But I don’t intend on playing it much online, and certainly not competitively, so I can understand why there’d be concerns in those circles.

I can’t imagine any competitive SF league would allow assisted combos in any capacity anyway, even if they’re a part of the game itself.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So quick research : There is Dynamic controls that reduce the controls to 3 buttons and it "choose" the best option according to the distance with the opponent. It CAN'T be use online.

Modern controls remove the manual input for specials but you can't choose the different power level (light, medium Heavy).
So basically you don't have access to your full kit.
Modern controls are just macros basically and reduce your possibility.

A non issue in my opinion.

Source : https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2023/may/04/sf6-modern-dynamic-controls-guide/

Last edited:

Fake

I hate, but thats not mean I want to remove.

Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Figher and even Guilty Gear have an option for both 'auto' and 'manual' after you pick up your character.

Now, in cases like Dragon Ball Z Fighter I hate with passion that you're forced to use automatic combos. This is some fuck level of lazy, not even special moves and super special moves you need to make input, just smash button and the game already do all the stuff. I played Dragon Ball Fighter Z like 10 minutes and uninstalled forever.

If people like automatic combos thats is perfect fine, but I not want to be forced like this. Leave an option for manual combos.

El Muerto

Preach. I introduced GG to everyone i know that plays fighting games. They quit playing Street Fighter and jumped on the Guilty Gear bandwagon. It's definitely a lot more fun.

I’m an old fart whose days of memorizing every fighter’s combo commands are over. I’m fine with “modern” controls. But I don’t intend on playing it much online, and certainly not competitively, so I can understand why there’d be concerns in those circles.

I can’t imagine any competitive SF league would allow assisted combos in any capacity anyway, even if they’re a part of the game itself.
Ya lol, I’m getting fairly old myself, and even though my execution and reaction times aren’t what they once were, I still like the older games more then the newer ones for the most part.

That said, I am still looking forward to SF6, I just like fighting games in general.
Also, Capcom said that modern controls will be allowed in their tournaments. So we’ll see how that goes, I imagine if it becomes a problem tournaments will start to ban it.

MagnesD3

Using modern controls comes with limitations and a -20% debuff in specials/supers strength.
Honestly the speed and hit confirm stuff might make that not matter.. Also you can do the normal inputs in modern mode to get full damage meaning you can switch to either at your leisure depending on what the situation calls for.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Honestly the speed and hit confirm stuff might make that not matter.. Also you can do the normal inputs in modern mode to get full damage meaning you can switch to either at your leisure depending on what the situation calls for.
I'm going to try modern controls for characters like Manon and Zangief.

I know if I win I'll almost guarantee to get a "friendly" message post game. 😁

Raonak

Banned
I don't like auto-controls, but I do wish there was a valid 4 button layout for SF, as a tekken guy, having non-special attacks bound to the back buttons feels weird.

like why do I need light medium and heavy, is there really enough difference between all 3 to bother?

MagnesD3

I don't like auto-controls, but I do wish there was a valid 4 button layout for SF, as a tekken guy, having non-special attacks bound to the back buttons feels weird.

like why do I need light medium and heavy, is there really enough difference between all 3 to bother?
There is but I agree for a beginner mode it probably wouldn't be a terrible idea

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm just using classic controls in the demo. They give you the choice so really no need for concern.

Aenima

Seems like a good mode for me. I suck at combos, if thers a option to perform them in a more simple way, then im more willing to play the game.

Top Bottom