• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLSS 3 Mod creator for Jedi Survivor/TLOU and other games adds a DRM to his Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS 3 Mod

Paid mods: good or bad idea?

• I'm ok with that

Votes: 30 14.7%
  • Nah, that sucks

Votes: 174 85.3%

• Total voters

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why don't Bethesda just put it in the stupid game.

This is a new low and maybe Bethesda has something to do with it. Or not but it stinks and smells all sorts of wrong.

Mister Wolf

It's not in their right to modify game files and then charge for it.

Which is why he distributes through Patreon to get around that. Any thoughts of Betheada having issues with him should be dismissed by them sending him a early review copy. They are his ally. Wouldnt be surprised if they gave him the idea to add DRM and are receiving some kind of kickback.

Braag

Ouch, this wont do him any favors.
I heard that his DLSS mods only work if you play at 1440p. Is that true?

Sleepwalker

Which is why he distributes through Patreon to get around that. Any thoughts of Betheada having issues with him should be dismissed by them sending him a early review copy. They are his ally. Wouldnt be surprised if they gave him the idea to add DRM and are receiving some kind of kickback.
He did not get an early copy, those "news" were BS.

Just put this guy in jail already

facepalm-really.gif

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Donation. This guy is not the first one to ever create a mod you know? A lot of modder earned a lot of money or even became professional without a Patreon. Another alternative is to look at how Nexus Mod is paying creators (good money, for real).
Don't worry, he'll be fine without his Patreon. It's just that I honestly hate this trend of monetizing absolutely EVERYTHING. Mods were one of the last few good things there is on PC and now it's getting fucked because some greedy guy if profiting on the lack of optimization of recent games. This is just pure greed.

Also, we should note that this is not a JOB, he don't have a contract or a boss above him who asks him to make a certain turnover per month. He is doing this with his free will.
It's perfectly fine to want compensation for your work, but be at the player's discretion and then use Nexus Mod alongside it to earn a guaranteed income.

This only shows how fucking limited and restricted in your thinking you are. "He is doing this with his free will". Yeah, no shit. Crazy. Who would have thought that it's possible to do something in your free time, use your skills, create a product / service and get more money. And if you put enough effort, maybe JUST MAYBE you can make a living out it and quit your miserable 9 to 5 job where all you do is suck yours manager's dick for 8 hours straight while making other people rich. Fucking unbelievable!

Sweet Baby Jesus, some people are just insufferable.

Closer

Either someone else will step up to make free mods without DRM, or we continue to push devs to support the majority of GPU owners, RTX cards.

Pretty sure that all GPU owners is bigger than majority GPU owners, but I could be wrong, I guess.

Red5

The long and short of it. Textures you created and the like, are fair game to charge for.
But why set yourself up for a lawsuit by trying to sell modified game files?

Are they modified game files or .DLL files he made from scratch that inject themselves into the game like say MSI Afterburner does?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why don't Bethesda just put it in the stupid game.

This is a new low and maybe Bethesda has something to do with it. Or not but it stinks and smells all sorts of wrong.
Bethesda made Red Dead Redemption 2? I think RDR2 has no DLSS because it was an AMD sponsored title? Wait it wasn't?
Can anyone help me out with a conspiracy that makes this MS or AMD's fault (preferably both).

So please tell me, what is your position about people doing textures mods, weapons addition, characters skins etc... Should we paid 5$ per mod too? And then tell me, what is the limit and where does this stop? Is my game gonna cost me 100$ a month if I want to mod it? Why would anyone be ok with that? It's just greed for real.

Let me make a donation if I want/can.

If you don't wanna pay then don't use the mod. Dude wants to get paid for his work nothing wrong with that. The way some of yall complain about this stuff sounding like those commies on Retard era

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Oh be sure I won't support it. I'm not questioning his skills, but the method. It's not even about the money but the principe: let's take something that worked just fine for decades (mods) and make it about money because why not after all? What could go wrong?
This is such a stupid way of thinking, oh they did it for free before so it should just stay that way forever.
The only reason mods were free all this time, is because there was no easy way for modders to monetise their work; who in their right mind would hand over their CC information or just wire money over to some stranger on the internet? Hey mom can you send money to xXdeeznuts420Xx so I can make my game prettier? SMH

At the end of the day it's labour they are performing and yet somehow you're talking about "the principle"...what principle? Demanding free labour? Everybody deserves to be compensated for work they are doing, if they choose to forgo compensation then that's up to them, but saying dumb shit like it should be free because of "priniciples", is some serious fucked in the head reasoning.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Hope he gets sued by Rockstar and has to take this shit down. Im not down with paid mods infringing on the copyright. If its free, fine. And rockstar will see it that way too.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hope he gets sued by Rockstar and has to take this shit down. Im not down with paid mods infringing on the copyright. If its free, fine. And rockstar will see it that way too.
What copyright is he infringing on?

Sucks that the modder wants that, though I understand, the solution should just be that Nvidia hires him to do the scut work that they apparently don't want to do. But then again, if someone is willing to do it for "free" with mods than.... I get it though, the guy is doing work.... Just seems weird to be in a "paid" mod kinda space. I'm not down for it. I'd wager any meaningful work by him will be gutted and pirated by "White Hat" modders and released for free eventually anyways.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Reallink

At $5 a pop, guy will literally make millions of dollars in 1 day if the DLSS and DRM actually works. PCMR absolutely loves Bethesda games and mods, he'd have a million preorders already.

Buggy Loop

Pretty sure that all GPU owners is bigger than majority GPU owners, but I could be wrong, I guess.

As of July 2023 survey, RTX accumulâtes to 38.65%

Bigger than GTX + RDNA 1 / 2 / 3 + Intel Arc

Forget mobile chipsets on potato powered laptops for a minute that play counter strike and DOTA 2, for modern GPUs that are impacted by modern current gen games/ports, RTX is THE majority of that market. It goes beyond 50% when you cut the crap GPUs that go back to ATI Mach series in “others” and the likes of laptop iGPU.

I compiled in a post like a day or two ago

RTX 2000, 3000, 4000 series is 38.65%. Is oscillates survey to survey, with it surpassing 40% not long ago.
GTX 1600 series is 12.30% (Turing without RTX)
GTX 1000 series is 13.16% (GTX "family" 25.46%)
RX 6000 series is 2.70%
RX 7000 series is 0.17%

Listed vendors outside of the "other" category
Nvidia, ALL mentions of name, 68.82%
Intel, ALL mentions of name, 7.49%
AMD, ALL mentions of name, 11.86%

Last edited:

Closer

As of July 2023 survey, RTX accumulâtes to 38.65%

Bigger than GTX + RDNA 1 / 2 / 3 + Intel Arc

Forget mobile chipsets on potato powered laptops for a minute that play counter strike and DOTA 2, for modern GPUs that are impacted by modern current gen games/ports, RTX is THE majority of that market.

I compiled in a post like a day or two ago

RTX 2000, 3000, 4000 series is 38.65%. Is oscillates survey to survey, with it surpassing 40% not long ago.
GTX 1600 series is 12.30% (Turing without RTX)
GTX 1000 series is 13.16% (GTX "family" 25.46%)
RX 6000 series is 2.70%
RX 7000 series is 0.17%

Listed vendors outside of the "other" category
Nvidia, ALL mentions of name, 68.82%
Intel, ALL mentions of name, 7.49%
AMD, ALL mentions of name, 11.86%

Thank you. Now I'm sure that all is bigger than majority.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bethesda made Red Dead Redemption 2? I think RDR2 has no DLSS because it was an AMD sponsored title? Wait it wasn't?
Can anyone help me out with a conspiracy that makes this MS or AMD's fault (preferably both).
It's their fault and that's that.

Sorry but this modder is just being outright greedy in my opinion. He should not be locking a mod behind a monthly subscription; it should be a one-off small fee to buy it, including updates. More people might actually buy this and support his future mods. However, I do not want to be paying someone £5 a month just to use a mod for one game. In my view, this guy is taking advantage of the situation and I bet he is absolutely delighted that Starfield will not be shipping with DLSS. He must be rubbing his hands together with glee at the amount he thinks he is going to make from this.

I fully support paying someone for their hard work but locking them behind a subscription paywall is something I just refuse to support. I really hope someone else steps in and offers a better and cheaper solution to his. He cannot be the only person capable of creating a DLSS mod.

Last edited:
No way T2 is gonna let this shit fly

He is trying to get money as fast as possible 'cause in weeks he is gonna receive a lawsuit.

Dude is an idiot
I was going to say that profiting from this sounds like something that wouldn’t be legal and against the Terms of Service provided by Rockstar (or any other dev/pub).

The main issue here though isn’t paying for the mod initially, it’s if the game version isn’t compatible (through an update) and the modder updates the mod, you need to pay for the mod again basically. Seems like a shit deal for the consumer.

yurinka

This DRM will most likely extend to all his mod soon

NVIDIA-DLSS3-HERO-BANNER.jpg

Note by me, just to be clear: if an update for the game is released, you are fucked and need to subscribe to his Patreon again to get the latest version. Otherwise you wont be able to use the mod you paid for!

A few days ago, PureDark issued a new update for his Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS 3 Mod that added a DRM to it.
This DRM requires you to authenticate your license, so if you don't subscribe to his Patreon for at least $5 a month, then you won't be able to get his mods working for your games

PureDark has implemented this DRM in preparation for the upcoming Starfield DLSS 3 Mod. The modder knows that a lot of people will be interested in it, so he’s doing everything to combat its illegal distribution.
And what better way to protect a paid mod from piracy? But to add a DRM of course.

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-DLSS-3-Mod-DRM.jpg

Game companies should block this mod for earning money from their games without permission.

It's ok to make money with the permission of the game IP owners, or to make mods for free. But I don't it's ok to do this.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
This sounds super sketchy.. I guess it still counts as “donations” though? But it definitely feels like a straight up payment for the content.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm ok with it.

Look, if you expect long-term support, then you should also expect to continue to pay the guy for ongoing updates.

This mentality of pay-once, get the benefits of somebody else's labour forever is in a word, wrong. Particularly if its with an individual creative.

I get that it'd be more community minded to simply dump the source-code up on Github or wherever under GPL and allow people to continue to build on his initial work forever. But, just because he's taking a one-time payment for his work done, how the hell is it right to make him beholden to the buyer in perpetuity? That sounds like indentured servitude to me.

EDIT: actually scratch that its worse than being an indentured servant because at least under that there is a fixed term for the enslavement!

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It will be interesting to see what becomes of the soon to be born mod cracking community.

The guy will get a nice paycheck from Nvidia the same way Marty McFly got a deal with Nvidia to get SSRTGI into FreeStyle so Nvidia users no longer have to pay him to get the mod.

gm-7beb9897-af9b-41f0-b93a-392e2e18c90c-nvidia-mcflly-rt-gi-on.jpg

Last edited:
I'm ok with it.

Look, if you expect long-term support, then you should also expect to continue to pay the guy for ongoing updates.

This mentality of pay-once, get the benefits of somebody else's labour forever is in a word, wrong. Particularly if its with an individual creative.

I get that it'd be more community minded to simply dump the source-code up on Github or wherever under GPL and allow people to continue to build on his initial work forever. But, just because he's taking a one-time payment for his work done, how the hell is it right to make him beholden to the buyer in perpetuity? That sounds like indentured servitude to me.

EDIT: actually scratch that its worse than being an indentured servant because at least under that there is a fixed term for the enslavement!
how the hell do you get that it is enslavement ? You are right he isn't under a fixed term indentured servitude infact he isn't under anything. He could just quite easily go "fuck it I am off to watch the teletubbies". Generally people do modding because they love the game and they want to give something back to the community to improve the game they love. This guy is nothing but an opportunistic hack trying to extort money out of a community (and yes making a bloody mod but tack on a monthly subscription for a fucking mod with drm is extortion).

If the guy wants to make a living from programming how about he doesn't mooch off Bethesda's work which is pretty much what he is doing here.

Larxia

As a modder myself who spent thousands of hours on different mod projects, I still find this terrible and can't defend it.

I think donations for mods are totally fine, it's a great way for people who like your work to show support, but mandatory payment are something else... and DRM on top of that? Needing to pay again if it's update? That's absolutely terrible and on par with what people usually hate with big companies doing awful practices.

Modding has always been about having more freedom, about enhancing the experience, pushing it further and sharing it. Turning modding into a subscription plan service is... really weird. At this point I think you might as well sell your services officially to publishers to provide such things, because this isn't really what I would call modding anymore.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Lol this rumor was fake, he did NOT receive a copy from Bethesda. He is not in his right doing this. Period.

This is such a stupid way of thinking, oh they did it for free before so it should just stay that way forever.
The only reason mods were free all this time, is because there was no easy way for modders to monetise their work; who in their right mind would hand over their CC information or just wire money over to some stranger on the internet? Hey mom can you send money to xXdeeznuts420Xx so I can make my game prettier? SMH

At the end of the day it's labour they are performing and yet somehow you're talking about "the principle"...what principle? Demanding free labour? Everybody deserves to be compensated for work they are doing, if they choose to forgo compensation then that's up to them, but saying dumb shit like it should be free because of "priniciples", is some serious fucked in the head reasoning.
I address it here on another post:
"Donation. This guy is not the first one to ever create a mod you know? A lot of modder earned a lot of money or even became professional without a Patreon. Another alternative is to look at how Nexus Mod is paying creators (good money, for real).
Don't worry, he'll be fine without his Patreon. It's just that I honestly hate this trend of monetizing absolutely EVERYTHING. Mods were one of the last few good things there is on PC and now it's getting fucked because some greedy guy if profiting on the lack of optimization of recent games. This is just pure greed.

Also, we should note that this is not a JOB, he don't have a contract or a boss above him who asks him to make a certain turnover per month. He is doing this with his free will.
It's perfectly fine to want compensation for your work, but be at the player's discretion and then use Nexus Mod alongside it to earn a guaranteed income."

This only shows how fucking limited and restricted in your thinking you are. "He is doing this with his free will". Yeah, no shit. Crazy. Who would have thought that it's possible to do something in your free time, use your skills, create a product / service and get more money. And if you put enough effort, maybe JUST MAYBE you can make a living out it and quit your miserable 9 to 5 job where all you do is suck yours manager's dick for 8 hours straight while making other people rich. Fucking unbelievable!

Sweet Baby Jesus, some people are just insufferable.
As I said there is other way to monetize it WITHOUT asking the consumer to subscribe to yet another service. Also what about the fact that as soon as an update for the game is out, the mod is obsolete and you need to pay for another month? That's fine for you?

As a modder myself who spent thousands of hours on different mod projects, I still find this terrible and can't defend it.

I think donations for mods are totally fine, it's a great way for people who like your work to show support, but mandatory payment are something else... and DRM on top of that? Needing to pay again if it's update? That's absolutely terrible and on par with what people usually hate with big companies doing awful practices.

Modding has always been about having more freedom, about enhancing the experience, pushing it further and sharing it. Turning modding into a subscription plan service is... really weird. At this point I think you might as well sell your services officially to publishers to provide such things, because this isn't really what I would call modding anymore.

Thank you! This right here!

Canadian Thank You GIF by NETFLIX

Donation are perfectly fine (and it work).

Soodanim

Gold Member
This all sounds like a worse version of the traditional paid license model. If he wants to make it a legitimate business, he needs to get off Patreon and let people buy licenses so they can continue to update the software they paid for.

kiphalfton

Mods with DRM....
I thought I would never see the day.

No, it's just some greedy bastard who wants to make a quick buck, doesn't care it's going to set a bad precedent (that others will try to follow), and could disrupt the modding community.

At the end of the day though, the devs/publisher are to blame (especially with high profile games like those mentioned in the OP, where theres no good reason why it doesn't have DLSS support/etc.).

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You don't get to decide how or if they should be compensated for the use of their work.
No shit... My point was that he has other way to make money from his work without asking the consumer who already paid the game. Anyway, you are fine paying again and again because an update has been released and your previous version of that mod you paid is not compatible now?

Also what is he doing is illegal. He wanna play? Fine, watch 2K or Microsoft shut his Patreon down most likely very soon. Finally, read my other messages here as this is not the only issue I have with this practice.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
No shit... My point was that he has other way to make money from his work without asking the consumer who already paid the game
Your "other ways" describe making it optional, again you don't get to decide how or if someone is compensated for their work, that's their choice.
Also what is he doing is illegal. He wanna play?
That's his problem and not relevant.

Top Bottom