• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 6 Announced for Nintendo Switch/PS4

manfestival

I thought this was already announced for the switch last month or was that just Japan only and this is the official "announcement" of the US switch version?

What dey fork?

This came completely out of left field and got buried in all the next gen news. Disgaea 6 is HUGE! But why the heck is at a Switch exclusive all of a sudden? I thought the series was supposed to be primarily on PS consoles, especially the mainline games. In any case, I've been waiting for the next installment. Can't wait to throw some prinnies, dood!

Green_Eyes

The main character designs have been getting worse. I think 3 was the last game in the series with decent main characters...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Couldn't care less about the characters, as long as they aren't obnoxious. The raise of the level cap and the max damage might sound trivial, but as someone who's hit that cap countless times in previous games (after a few 100 hour of investment) it seems this one might have some legs.

The tone is way better than the last few games. It's supposed to be zany and absurd, not edgy and animoooo.

Kokoloko85

Damn the whole series has been on the Playstation...
This means D2 and Disgaea 4 arent being ported to Playstation 4/5 anytime soon

Looks great, wish we could see the map view

Last edited:
That was an interesting trailer. At first it looked like mobile trash and then I could see it looked level five-ish and got interested.

Still lots of unanswered questions like if we are losing any characters from the art style switch like between 2 and 3 and what other autistic systems they have other than higher caps. (And how long we have to wait for ports).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Since the PSP, I've been a DIE HARD portable Disgaea fan. I dabbled with Disgaea (and Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave, etc etc) on PS2 but it wasn't until the PSP "super editions" that I fell in love with Disgaea and NIS at large. I sunk 100s of hours into D1 and D2, as well as Z.H.P. I bought Disgaea 3 on PS3 but also bought the Vita port, which is probably my most played Vita game (1000+ hours). I got D4 on Vita, and D5 Complete on Switch, all because they were portable.

If I'm not mistaken, the portable versions have sold comparably to the console versions, if not a bit better in some cases.

So the fact that they're starting on the "portable" makes sense to me. I would've waited for this version anyway if they announced it for PS4/PS5 first.

MagnesG

Banned

Astral Dog

Same as Dragon:Marked for Death and Baster Master Zero, exclusive for a year but we won't tell you.
Its still shocking news that must mean they were VERY happy with the Switch sales and the fanbase moved there, like,it must be appealing playing a strategy RPG on portable but this is still a bold move

Even the DS family barely got supported

The move to 3D graphics looks weird but it was a matter of time even if the models look ugly, i wouldn't be surprised if this became the most popular Disgaea game gamers are not into sprites as much and the new models will show emotion and battles will look more cinematic

Last edited:
Its still shocking news that must mean they were VERY happy with the Switch sales and the fanbase moved there, like,it must be appealing playing a strategy RPG on portable but this is still a bold move

Even the DS family barely got supported
Well Disgaea 5 flopped pretty hard in Japan in 2015 and almost killed Nippon Ichi, you have to remember Disgaea was always their cash cow that they use to fund their experimental games like The Witch and Hundred Knight.

Graciaus

I hope they tweak the item world again. Did not like 5 since you just nuked everything with 1 aoe with that generic. It was my least played of all of them.

MagnesG

Banned
As expected it's coming to PS4 also. Jooxed Jooxed can you Edit the thread title?
Gotta say 3D models looks..... Bland? Cheap? A massive shame after the gorgeous sprites of 5.
Only in Japan as of now.

MagnesG

Banned
Given NISA's track record and how they're busy with Trails Of Cold Steel IV and YSIX localization at the moment i expect it to hit around 4-6 months after Japan.
We'll see. I'm not optimistic especially when a PS4 version is already announced in Japan yet no news for the west when the localization is already in the works. This is not a Switch port type of situation.
Maybe a complete edition down the line though.

manfestival

well all this exclusive for the west stuff is disheartening. Guess this will be the first mainline Disgaea game I won't be buying then... shame. Especially since I bought all their other offshoots in the ps2 era like makai kingdom, soul nomad, phantom brave, and etc.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Still sad to see that PC will just be some stealth release a couple years later. I own all of the released games in this series on Steam. I will be able to play them as long as Steam exists. I am tired of buying this shit on consoles only to have them trapped on some piece of hardware that broke years ago if I want to replay this down the road. I say this as a switch owner who owned all of these previous games on PSP and PS3 that are both sitting in a landfill..

Not sure how much I want a new Disgaea and the 3D makeover isn't yet working for me, but--at least for the moment--not localizing the Playstation version is just another example of the dumb crap from NIS/NISA that puts me off wanting to buy their products. Even though I'm inclined to think it'll eventually appear on a Sony platform (and maybe PC), the decision leaves a bad taste in my mouth; and for the record, I say this as someone who owns a Switch.

MagnesG

Banned
Still sad to see that PC will just be some stealth release a couple years later. I own all of the released games in this series on Steam. I will be able to play them as long as Steam exists. I am tired of buying this shit on consoles only to have them trapped on some piece of hardware that broke years ago if I want to replay this down the road. I say this as a switch owner who owned all of these previous games on PSP and PS3 that are both sitting in a landfill..
Not sure how much I want a new Disgaea and the 3D makeover isn't yet working for me, but--at least for the moment--not localizing the Playstation version is just another example of the dumb crap from NIS/NISA that puts me off wanting to buy their products. Even though I'm inclined to think it'll eventually appear on a Sony platform (and maybe PC), the decision leaves a bad taste in my mouth; and for the record, I say this as someone who owns a Switch.
Everybody owns a fucking Switch now, that's the thing. There's gonna be exclusives one way or another.

Everybody owns a fucking Switch now, that's the thing. There's gonna be exclusives one way or another.
Regional platform exclusivity for a multi-platform game is not the same as a title being developed for a single console. As I previously wrote, these are the types of decisions that put me off wanting to buy anything from NIS/NISA. The company clearly sees a value in creating a PS4 version; they should have planned to extend that option globally to all PS4 owners, both for those without a Switch and people with console preferences.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Regional platform exclusivity for a multi-platform game is not the same as a title being developed for a single console. As I previously wrote, these are the types of decisions that put me off wanting to buy anything from NIS/NISA. As the company clearly sees a value in creating a PS4 version, they should have planned to extend that option globally, both for those who don't own a Switch and people who have console preferences.
In Japan only. Disgaea 5 basically bombed hard where they had to scrape out much of their last sales with much lower prices. They sold D5C 200k more on Switch with close to $60 price just for around 6 months. The games debuted with a measly 5k sold in Japan, it's most likely the lack of a portable port that nearly kill them.

See this.

Basically focusing on nurturing a fanbase on portable console is their priority right now, because there's only dozens of "you" who actually bought their last title lol.

Last edited:
In Japan only. Disgaea 5 basically bombed hard where they had to scrape out much of their last sales with much lower prices. They sold D5C 200k more on Switch with close to $60 price just for around 6 months. The games debuted with a measly 5k sold in Japan, it's most likely the lack of a portable port that nearly kill them.

See this.

Basically focusing on nurturing a fanbase on portable console is their priority right now, because there's only dozens of "you" who actually bought their last title last lol.
Conjecture and justify the potential regional exclusivity however you like. Disgaea 5 for the PS4 still apparently sold around 112k overseas (source).

As previously mentioned, NIS clearly perceives a value in creating a PS4 version of this newest installment. They're localizing the game for the West. They should offer the PS4 version globally.

MagnesG

Banned
Conjecture and justify the potential regional exclusivity however you like. Disgaea 5 for the PS4 still apparently sold around 112k overseas (source).

As previously mentioned, NIS clearly perceives a value in creating a PS4 version of this newest installment. They're localizing the game for the West. They should offer the PS4 version globally.
They will eventually, it's just not their first priority. An "exclusive" term is just for marketing. You don't seem to remember how the Switch was basically treated as third class citizen by 3rd parties, even from their own AA devs (Japan) at the start.
It only takes just one title to start your conjunction, how about those multiple titles skipping the Switch just for the sake of it.

Also I can't access the source, how do I know those 112k is actually healthy based on dollar per sales?

Looks good. I always liked the humor of the Defiance of the Disgaea games. I'm surprised Destiny is going to be exclusive to the Switch. Glad I'm a Nintendo Switch owner.

Top Bottom