• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can we stop with this stupid generalisation? We can blame DF to be partial, if we point out with a proper argument. Now harass them it's a total different thing. We can please discern to people who blame them with motivation to who harass them for the fanboism?
What generalization?

In the current climate, we simply cannot have an actual discussion when it comes to criticizing a console on message boards. You get mass reported, mass LOL'd, mocked and harassed just because you dared to criticize Sony or Microsoft. As someone who has received shit from both sides on multiple forums, i know how each side has gotten more and more vicious over the years.

I do not envy john.

assurdum

Banned
What generalization?

In the current climate, we simply cannot have an actual discussion when it comes to criticizing a console on message boards. You get mass reported, mass LOL'd, mocked and harassed just because you dared to criticize Sony or Microsoft. As someone who has received shit from both sides on multiple forums, i know how each side has gotten more and more vicious over the years.

I do not envy john.
I don't justify who harasses, I'm sorry if crazy people attack them just to defend their brand BUT now call everyone who criticizes DF fanboy, well, I have to disagree . I think their editorial line it's clearly partial, Leadbetter leads this line, is always on the verge of the MS machine. I don't think to say crazy stuff. Now they are free to do this, but I want to be free to criticize such attitude, especially when they claim to be always genuine and enthusiastic. Said that I don't justify the harassment in any way. Never contact them personally.

Last edited:

lucius

"Xbox is massively underperforming"

how anyone can't see this is in denial, if a patch can fix all the things to bring it up to speed in this game or ACV I have my doubts, MS is marketing the games so I sure they are pissed because they built the marketing around power. Even marketing the other game like X is only console gonna give it to you properly . DF does hard work shouldn't be harassing them though. They obviously must feel tons of pressure considering the kind of access MS have given them in past. I like Richard said they should be more clear Series S marketing

ethomaz

Banned
I don't justify who harasses, I'm sorry if crazy people attack them just to defend their brand BUT now call everyone who criticizes DF fanboy, well, I have to disagree . I think their editorial line it's clearly partial, Leadbetter leads this line, is always on the verge of the MS machine. I don't think to say crazy stuff.
Richard is partial but tries to cover it.
Alex is straight partial without cover anything.
John is more neutral (that is view from Xbox side as PS fan).

So these criticisms are valid points and it doesn’t make the DF work bad in any way.

PS. I’m still reading the Lastword post to understand what make it a monster because he did not offended anybody there... he made critics to how DF handles things which I agree with a lot of them.

Last edited:

Caio

DF said it looks like a bug, the Devs said it is and apologize saying they will fix it. You're just the sort of person he's talking about, reading more into it then there is.

Digital Foundry is not the most unbiased Media, isn't it ? second, they had no idea why, and said it couild be a bug. Nobody knows for sure.
And now you are telling people to believe Devs when they already showed the Game running on XSX and were happy about it, and nobody discovered the graphics assets were inferior to the PS5 version ? Now the game is out, the comparison with PS5 is out, and bugs start to come out...so, either we have heavily incompetent developers, or we have a XBox which performs worse. I tend to believe there is something wrong in the development of XBox, considering it has 52 CUs, and 10GB of faster memory.

ethomaz

Banned
Wait we are now waiting a patch the put the Xbox version on pair with PS5 quality without any performance hit?

I really want to see that magic patch.

What imo will happen?

- AF similar to PS5? Performance will take hit.
- Textures similar to PS5? Performance will take hit.
- LOD and assets similar to PS5 (more specifically to 120Hz mode)? Performance will take hit.
- Enable VSync? Performance will take hit.

Let’s check after the patch.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Digital Foundry is not the most unbiased Media, isn't it ? second, they had no idea why, and said it couild be a bug. Nobody knows for sure.
And now you are telling people to believe Devs when they already showed the Game running on XSX and were happy about it, and nobody discovered the graphics assets were inferior to the PS5 version ? Now the game is out, the comparison with PS5 is out, and bugs start to come out...so, either we have heavily incompetent developers, or we have a XBox which performs worse. I tend to believe there is something wrong in the development of XBox, considering it has 52 CUs, and 10GB of faster memory.

so your Saying games never get released knowing there are bugs in it?

assurdum

Banned
Richard is partial but tries to cover it.
Alex is straight partial without cover anything.
John is more neutral (that is view from Xbox side as PS fan).

So these criticisms are valid points and it doesn’t make the DF work bad in any way.

PS. I’m still reading the Lastword post to understand what make it a monster because he did not offended anybody there... he made critics to how DF handles things which I agree with a lot of them.
In fact I'm not say John is partial . I said he follows the Leadbetter editorial line which is always to prioritize the Xbox brand. But again it seems so obvious. Now the things is sometimes is almost comical how evident is it, the Dirt 5 video is pure entertainment for me.

Caio

so your Saying games never get released knowing there are bugs in it?

Bugs generally are the same for all versions! I played Fallout4 on all systems, and noticed the same bugs in all versions.

Anyway i NEVER SAID bugs cannot exist in games or games never get released knowing there are bugs in it, don't play with words. It just seems very odd that developers discovered the bug only now and coudn't fix it before. This """bug""", as some people call it, represents a very bad presentation for the """Most powerful console of this generation""", to say the least.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wait we are now waiting a patch the put the Xbox version on pair with PS5 quality without any performance hit?

I really want to see that magic patch.

What imo will happen?

- AF similar to PS5? Performance will take hit.
- Textures similar to PS5? Performance will take hit.
- LOD and assets similar to PS5 (more specifically to 120Hz mode)? Performance will take hit.
- Enable VSync? Performance will take hit.

Let’s check after the patch.

Exactly. And my guess is that they'll do some of it -- e.g., fixing those damn headlights that anyone can easily notice -- won't worry if the frame rates take a dip (which they will, otherwise they would have left the v-sync turned on as it is on PS5), and hope nobody will notice a drop in frame-rate or DF won't do another analysis.

benjohn

I'm coming in here for one time to make this very important note. I'm being very careful with my words when discussing these things in videos. Do you know how much shit I've put up with after it turns out Xbox is massively underperforming?! Constant threats, harassment and even shit sent to my god damn house. All over these stupid plastic boxes. These people are insane and it's absolutely draining me. Now we have the opposite in this due to 'wording' that people read into. Just stop it.

Please just take the results as is. The data is there, it's clear to see.

Back to signing off.
You're the best John. Keep up the great work you always do. And don't you worry these are just cyber-bullies aka cowards.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Bugs generally are the same for all versions! I played Fallout4 on all systems, and noticed the same bugs in all versions.

Anyway i NEVER SAID bugs cannot exist in games or games never get released knowing there are bugs in it, don't play with words. It just seems very odd that developers discovered the bug only now and coudn't fix it before. This """bug""", as some people call it, represents a very bad presentation for the """Most powerful console of this generation""", to say the least.

They are not the same in all versions and when there are 2 series consoles they can crop up more for developers.

look at the bugs in spiderman MM where the character changes to alsorts like trash cans and stuff. Did they know this was a thing when they made and resented the game? Prob not but it happens and same with bugs in games like Dirt 5, we will see how much of a bug it is when the dev releases a patch for it and see it improves or makes performance drop

Thief1987

What "bug" we are talking about? Low graphic preset in 120Hz mode? Ok, it's maybe a bug. But what about performance? Lower performance is not a bug, because it's absolutely consistent throughout all gameplay sections they showed, don't even mention that this is with lower texture filtering and resolution.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What "bug" we are talking about? Low graphic preset in 120Hz mode? Ok, it's maybe a bug. But what about performance? Lower performance is not a bug, because it's absolutely consistent throughout all gameplay sections they showed, don't even mention that this is with lower texture filtering and resolution.

That's why everyone is so interested in seeing this magic patch and how the game performs after that.

The low graphics settings and the lack of v-sync were there so XSX could reach the frame rates that it did.

This thread is so far off topic now and I'm only going to add to it..

DF do great work and have saved me from wasting money on console games that have pushed the system too far (or were badly optimised) and ran like shit.

To me they are an invaluable source as unlike on PC you can't just drop a few settings or overclock your GPU to get a console game running properly - if it runs like crap out of the box chances are it will stay that way unless there is a quick fix.

Unfortunately DF also provide perfect console warrior ammunition and get shit on for it as a result.

If any of them happen to read this keep up the good work lads.

silent head

I'm coming in here for one time to make this very important note. I'm being very careful with my words when discussing these things in videos. Do you know how much shit I've put up with after it turns out Xbox is massively underperforming?! Constant threats, harassment and even shit sent to my god damn house. All over these stupid plastic boxes. These people are insane and it's absolutely draining me. Now we have the opposite in this due to 'wording' that people read into. Just stop it.

Back to signing off.

TJC

So many heads are going to explode when it's fixed... Evilore is going to need a mop.
I don't think most people care it's running like shit, it's just satisfaction that Xbox guys who banged the drum for months about AT LEAST a 15-20% advantage be it frame rate or resolution ( depends what day you caught them on).

However we see PS5 on par or better in most game's, AC Valhalla for example around 15% better at points, Xbox would need to gain 35% in its performance in this said game to live up to its reputation and that's just not happening.

Rien

Jelly Belly

Back to signing off.
People even send shit to your house? Jesus what the fuck is wrong with people man.

mitchman

Gold Member
By the way. Are DF still on Microsofts payroll, or is it only when something goes into the favor of Microsoft?

Can't keep up with it anymore.
They're absolutely on MS payroll when they do sponsored content, same way they're on NVidia's payroll when they do sponsored content for them, etc. The question has been whether they are objective in those cases.

Last edited:

Back to signing off.
I m so sorry u have to go through this from both sides. Once this few months passes it will get more calm as more people won't care too deeply . Launches are the worst

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think most people care it's running like shit, it's just satisfaction that Xbox guys who banged the drum for months about AT LEAST a 15-20% advantage be it frame rate or resolution ( depends what day you caught them on).

However we see PS5 on par or better in most game's, AC Valhalla for example around 15% better at points, Xbox would need to gain 35% in its performance in this said game to live up to its reputation and that's just not happening.

True. I don't think any PS5 fan would mind parity with XSX. That'd still be a win, because PS5 advantages lie in faster SSD, better exclusives, and DualSense features.

Xbox's only advantage was supposed to be significantly better results in multiplatform games. If it is not at least a 20% benefit in at least 75% games, that's a win for PS5.

Last edited:

onQ123

True. I don't think any PS5 fan would mind parity with XSX. That'd still be a win, because PS5 advantages lie in faster SSD, better exclusives, and DualSense features.

Xbox's only advantage was supposed to be significantly better results in multiplatform games. If it is not at least a 20% benefit in at least 75% games, that's a win for PS5.

Nope I wouldn't want PS5 to have parity with a XSX because XSX haven't shown me any signs that it wants to be more than just a higher model Xbox One.

MastaKiiLA

When teens and manbabies are your target audience, you're going to spend a lot of time wading through shit. It is what it is. It sucks for John, because he seems like a nice guy.

Fake

Yeap but he needs to advertise the content he creates on social networks.
That is why imo leave the twitter is not the solution to be fair.

I mean he having a social network account to talk/advertise his job is not the cause.

No, he don't need. You really don't understand, do you? Have you see Rich doing so? Tom? Because they share DF twitter account to do so.

John could do the same. He choise to keep doing this.

GriffinCorp

Back to signing off.

Wow sending you stuff to your house, that is so far above crossing a line. People are insane.

I really enjoy watching your videos, you do excellent work. Just sorry that gaming is turning into an all out war zone. I just game on multiple consoles and enjoy the time, especially, if I can game with my family and friends. From this latest video on Dirt 5, I plan on picking it up. Looks like genuine fun.

ethomaz

Banned
No, he don't need. You really don't understand, do you? Have you see Rich doing so? Tom? Because they share DF twitter account to do so.

John could do the same. He choise to keep doing this.
Shared DF account is one fine way to do that.

assurdum

Banned
Rethinking about it, everyone noticed Dirt 5 from the first gameplay clip was graphically shitty on series X at 120 fps, weeeell before the release. Now DF has confirmed it (the funny thing is the ps5 version from what we know was far behind the series X version at the time, and the launch date was unsure but it's ot). Anyway it's clear Codemasters has deliberately ignored it. Now I'm not saying they haven't their valid reasons but that's the cruel reality.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Back to signing off.
People take this shit way too seriously, sending threats and harassment because their console of choice doesn't "win" or you say something that they don't agree with.

Try not to let them get to you, keep up the good work :messenger_heart:

Riky

$MSFT

Digital Foundry isn't unbiased you say, but you happily accept it when they say graphics assets were inferior to PS5 🤷🏼‍♀️ Looks to me your the one who isn't unbiased, you believe what they say when you want to.

Developers aren't incompetent, they are launching a game on 7 consoles with 17 different performance modes, three new consoles, PC version on top and they are working from home due to Covid.

I would say you can forgive them some launch bugs with all that going on.

Entroyp

What fix? Are the devs trying to patch the game to bring it up on par with the PS5 version? (hehe never thought I would be typing this :messenger_beaming: )

Riky

$MSFT

Untrue, it was the PS5 version that tanked 25% of the framerate in 120fps mode, without VRR that makes it really jarring. The drops on the 60hz mode on Xbox we're tiny in comparison and VRR takes care of them.

Riky

$MSFT
That's why everyone is so interested in seeing this magic patch and how the game performs after that.

The low graphics settings and the lack of v-sync were there so XSX could reach the frame rates that it did.

qQDOtq2.jpg

Seems the PS5 version doesn't use Vsync either, the frame rate tanking isn't due to that.

I feel like "just wait for the tools/update/patch" is the gaming side version of "just wait for the evidence of fraud/supreme court/etc." I have to wonder if we're going to enter 2021 with Series X more performant than PS5 on multi-plats and Trump as President, lol.

onQ123

I feel like "just wait for the tools/update/patch" is the gaming side version of "just wait for the evidence of fraud/supreme court/etc." I have to wonder if we're going to enter 2021 with Series X more performant than PS5 on multi-plats and Trump as President, lol.

I'm just waiting for someone to demand that we stop the comparisons like Trump tried to stop the counting of votes

skneogaf

Even if the xbox series x is not anywhere near as good at video games as we were lead to believe then I'm more than confident dirt 5 developers can adjust things like resolution etc to hit stable fps without tearing or missing texture resolution, bushes and lod massive reductions.

So if ps5 dirt 5 is better so be it but hopefully xbox series x dirt 5 should be a good version at lower resolution and slightly lower settings etc.

Right now dirt 5 and assassin's creed valhalla are arguably beta versions that will be comparable performance wise but maybe not visual wise which is absolutely fine.

There will always be a better console one way or the other.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Once they have the game running at the same image quality as the PS5 version it'll have more fps drops. Damn can't wait to see it going to 30fps in 120fps mode.

/s
Don't worry, if it falls to 30fps in 120fps VRR will save it......It will be better than the PS5 version with less judder....

Digital Foundry isn't unbiased you say, but you happily accept it when they say graphics assets were inferior to PS5 🤷🏼‍♀️ Looks to me your the one who isn't unbiased, you believe what they say when you want to.

Developers aren't incompetent, they are launching a game on 7 consoles with 17 different performance modes, three new consoles, PC version on top and they are working from home due to Covid.

I would say you can forgive them some launch bugs with all that going on.
DF is not unbiased simply because they point out differences, in fact they should, we should not thank them that they point out where a game looks better or performs better on PS.....Wherever the game looks best or performs best should be pointed out every single time. No masking it, no trying not to hurt some folks. If you were going to say it looks "A world away" for one say it for the other, unless a set of fans are more sensitive than others...You should not care about them, you should care about maintaining consistency in how you present the data and differences every time...

As for your last statement.....Some of you guys are expecting miracles. With the same brush that you use to indicate it's launch and that Covid exists, it has to be known that Covid affects everybody including Sony. If you see results almost consistent across the board where the Series X is losing, some magical API update is not going to fix that.....We are not talking about an isolated case where Series X is performing below PS5, but in every game so far.....You can't blame it all on devs or bugs or covid....I don't think an API update will give Series X owners the performance update they are seeking.....The lower detail on Series X was definitely not supposed to be, and if it did perform better in 120fps mode (which we never saw), that's the reason.....If they make that mode just as detailed as PS5 don't expect it to sustain the same framerates.....You see, the reason why I don't trust that it was 120fps locked on the series X in 120hz mode is because he used VRR there, indicating there were still drops.....

Point is many channels are doing analyses now, we will see the real stats soon enough....So if one channel in particular just wants to say things and say "dude trust me". Others will show what's going on through visuals and receipts instead, which is how you always want it....

Riky

$MSFT
Don't worry, if it falls to 30fps in 120fps VRR will save it......It will be better than the PS5 version with less judder....

DF is not unbiased simply because they point out differences, in fact they should, we should not thank them that they point out where a game looks better or performs better on PS.....Wherever the game looks best or performs best should be pointed out every single time. No masking it, no trying not to hurt some folks. If you were going to say it looks "A world away" for one say it for the other, unless a set of fans are more sensitive than others...You should not care about them, you should care about maintaining consistency in how you present the data and differences every time...

As for your last statement.....Some of you guys are expecting miracles. With the same brush that you use to indicate it's launch and that Covid exists, it has to be known that Covid affects everybody including Sony. If you see results almost consistent across the board where the Series X is losing, some magical API update is not going to fix that.....We are not talking about an isolated case where Series X is performing below PS5, but in every game so far.....You can't blame it all on devs or bugs or covid....I don't think an API update will give Series X owners the performance update they are seeking.....The lower detail on Series X was definitely not supposed to be, and if it did perform better in 120fps mode (which we never saw), that's the reason.....If they make that mode just as detailed as PS5 don't expect it to sustain the same framerates.....You see, the reason why I don't trust that it was 120fps locked on the series X in 120hz mode is because he used VRR there, indicating there were still drops.....

Point is many channels are doing analyses now, we will see the real stats soon enough....So if one channel in particular just wants to say things and say "dude trust me". Others will show what's going on through visuals and receipts instead, which is how you always want it....

You butt hurt about DF calling you the biggest shill on the internet 😂😂😂

EdGalTBR

Banned

Back to signing off.

WTF.

Just know that are many people who love your work.

anothertech

I don't justify who harasses, I'm sorry if crazy people attack them just to defend their brand BUT now call everyone who criticizes DF fanboy, well, I have to disagree . I think their editorial line it's clearly partial, Leadbetter leads this line, is always on the verge of the MS machine. I don't think to say crazy stuff. Now they are free to do this, but I want to be free to criticize such attitude, especially when they claim to be always genuine and enthusiastic. Said that I don't justify the harassment in any way. Never contact them personally.
Let's be realistic, anyone coming on a message board calling out a website comparing videogames and angry about 10 frames is a fucking fanboy.

It's like shooting the messenger because the letter he was carrying said the king is a pig. Don't defend that shit man.

Top Bottom