• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 - DF Tech Review - The Next Level in Real-Time Visuals

Romulus

As someone who has openly trashed Microsoft since at least 2020 for the damage they've done to their brand and their boneheaded decision-making, I hope this post comes across as about as reasonable as a post like this can get on this message board.

Sony Bros, seriously...give it a rest. Your console is the best and you're still completely dominant. You have all the best games, period.

Okay? Really, the sheer brittleness and sensitivity you're showing over a single game that will ONLY be regarded for its graphics and art design, is deranged....and embarrassing.

Yeah I've been bashing xbox starting around 2013 but I think the sony warriors need to hold the crown in graphics, games, sales to fell completely secure. They definitely lost graphics edge, and probably for awhile. That's the reason for the uproar.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
As a student of game development, I can tell you there is no such thing as a perfect nor near perfect game. They all use tricks and climb hoops to make work what they make work. Even the visuals aren't near perfect. Plenty of flaws when you get underneath.

That said, I also didn't say that anyone said it was, just that, there's nothing wrong with admitting it has flaws. But really, I get where you are coming from overall, so I'm not meaning that to be a jerk or anything.
Uh I would advice against claiming this because we have people with actual AAA experience in the forum...

I get what you say about perfection, I'm also against the "perfection" argument GymWolf GymWolf gave because I think the level of perceptible perfection should be measured at the playable distance, but he's right that there's no game with this level of fidelity, you can easily be fooled or fool anyone by almost any HB2 screenshots thinking they might be actual real people from a live action movie, but you can't have the same effect with TLOU P1 or any other game today, MAYBE with Death Stranding and some Capcom games (those are the only realistic ones I don't get uncanny valley feels from), but so far you can be 100% sure that characters models from HB2 are just in a league of their own.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Uh I would advice against claiming this because we have people with actual AAA experience in the forum...

I get what you say about perfection, I'm also against the "perfection" argument GymWolf GymWolf gave because I think the level of perceptible perfection should be measured at the playable distance, but he's right that there's no game with this level of fidelity, you can easily be fooled or fool anyone by almost any HB2 screenshots thinking they might be actual real people from a live action movie, but you can't have the same effect with TLOU P1 or any other game today, MAYBE with Death Stranding and some Capcom games (those are the only realistic ones I don't get uncanny valley feels from), but so far you can be 100% sure that characters models from HB2 are just in a league of their own.
People with actual AAA experience in the forum don't negate what I said (and likely wouldn't try as they get it). No game is perfect. That is a fact. Because I learned what goes on at an accredited college here in North Carolina only strengthens that point.

As for the fidelity argument, I mainly debated individual aspects of the game. I know that it's on another level for the most part, but not all pieces of Hellblade fit that criteria and it is also doing much less than the games it has been compared to, which should leave very few people surprised that this could be pulled off. Ninja Theory's talent was also a plus, however.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People with actual AAA experience in the forum don't negate what I said. No game is perfect. That is a fact. Because I learned what goes on at an accredited college here in North Carolina only strengthens that knowledge.

As for the fidelity argument, I mainly debated individual aspects of the game. I know that it's on another level in this regard, but also is doing much less than the games it has been compared to, which should leave very few people surprised that this could be pulled off. Ninja Theory's talent was also a plus, however.

I just went and looked at the horizon photo shot thread and it doesn't touch this game in the slightest. I'd maybe give it the clouds but I haven't seen shots HB2 cloud system.

We should be happy that a game has finally blown these cross gen games out of the water.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I just went and looked at the horizon photo shot thread and it doesn't touch this game in the slightest. I'd maybe give it the clouds but I haven't seen shots HB2 cloud system.

We should be happy that a game has finally blown these cross gen games out of the water.
Don't watch screenshots, looks for video footage and see the dynamic clouds system, there's even a tornado that I assumed was done with the clouds system in the water titan, I don't remember his name (not that I can write it or pronounce it anyway lol)

The PC version has FSR3, but does it not have frame gen? Didn't see the option when selected on my 3090 so settled on TSR with dynamic resolution at 60fps, with all the post processing you don't really notice it

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I wanna see all the naysayers that said we were never going to achieve UE5 PS5 Demo graphics level. As always the second half of the generation comes with the best graphics.
I mean the way internet plays these 'but it's not parity with X' games - they kind of didn't.
HB2 is primarily more focused on near-field detail, but far-field is not quite up there where the demo was. It's for obvious reasons (storage size, content-production costs) - ie. nothing to do with 'but but performance' - but indeed that benchmark isn't quite met if we want 'arcade perfect quality'.

Though obviously plenty of other elements are much improved too (especially character rendering, but many others too) but that's also sort of stating the obvious - production values are much higher overall than the demo was.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The PC version has FSR3, but does it not have frame gen? Didn't see the option when selected on my 3090 so settled on TSR with dynamic resolution at 60fps, with all the post processing you don't really notice it

No it doesn't have FSR3 frame Gen. DF touch on this in the video.

OverHeat

« generous god »
sOUhKVi.jpeg

All of this at 100+fps 😍

Last edited:

TheKratos

Honestly I wouldn't mind more games like this. Go full out with graphics and give me ok gameplay. We only get a handful of technical masterpieces per generation.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
All of this at 100+fps 😍
What hw/res/settings?
I played on a 4080 and final chapter even DLSS in performance mode was close to holding 60 (although I think this particular scene was fine).

Honestly I wouldn't mind more games like this. Go full out with graphics and give me ok gameplay. We only get a handful of technical masterpieces per generation.
Tbh - I found gameplay a step back from the first game, even though it's mostly the same. The elements that worked well were scaled back/dumbed down, and what got emphasis just - isn't great.
But yea I'm still glad games like these get made - variety is always welcome.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
What hw/res/settings?
I played on a 4080 and final chapter even DLSS in performance mode was close to holding 60 (although I think this particular scene was fine).

Tbh - I found gameplay a step back from the first game, even though it's mostly the same. The elements that worked well were scaled back/dumbed down, and what got emphasis just - isn't great.
But yea I'm still glad games like these get made - variety is always welcome.
3440x1440 high DLAA+ frame generation but on the last chapter I had dips in the 80

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
We NEED more games like these, specially from big studios so they can have something else in between heavy hitters. I really liked the game and it actually has more gameplay in fights than it's given credits for lol, but I definitely can see why it's controversial.

I think the problem is when almost all studios focus too much on cinematic experiences and leave gameplay behind instead of just balancing.

Romulus

I wanna see all the naysayers that said we were never going to achieve UE5 PS5 Demo graphics level. As always the second half of the generation comes with the best graphics.

I was a natsayer. I've basically verbally assaulted the current consoles because theres been no real next gen leap imo. And I for sure did not expect to see the king of console visuals on an Xbox.

Crow is served.

Top Bottom