• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry]: Gears 5 PC: One Of The All-Time Greatest PC Ports?

Shotpun

Good video as per usual but I do hope Alex can improve his recording setup a bit more, it's pretty echoey.

Still way better than what it used to be, for the longest time I couldn't watch Alex's videos at all because his voice was so loud and peaky it literally hurt my ears.

Question GAF. PC newbie

I started playing last night. Set to Ultra.
I was bouncing between 120 FPS and 105 FPS. 1440p. G sync monitor. I didn’t see insane, although I will try that.

So I set both minimum and maximum FPS to 90. Should I just set maximum to unlimited and not set both to 90?

Great port, I'm running everything ultra at 1440p and getting really great performance (network bugs aside).

Average fps around 100/110 fps (lowest I've seen is around 80ish, highest around 170). Really great to see such a good looking and clean game run so smoothly. And it's pretty fun too.

The level of control you have is really great; fov, min fps, max fps, full statistics, and a lot of options. That's how you release a game on pc.

Game pass is making the win store look good. And the new app is pretty slick.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Question GAF. PC newbie

I was bouncing between 120 FPS and 105 FPS. 1440p. G sync monitor. I didn’t see insane, although I will try that.

So I set both minimum and maximum FPS to 90. Should I just set maximum to unlimited and not set both to 90?

Unlimited with g sync as gsync makes no tearing.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Game runs great in 1440p Ultra, using Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2070. I do however get occasional stuttering in the beginning of some scripted sequences. Perhaps the game is loading heavily then...

Fbh

Can't watch the video right now. Any info on the size of the game on PC? Is it 120gb+ like gears 4?

kizito

Nope, more like 65 gigas.

Also, there is a big problem with VRAM usage in this game that causes stutter. Maybe some memory leak or something like that. Just need to take a look at the other website's thread to see it. And I'm also experiencing it on an i5 9600k, 16G fast DDR4 and a RTX 2060.

nikolino840

Nope, more like 65 gigas.

Also, there is a big problem with VRAM usage in this game that causes stutter. Maybe some memory leak or something like that. Just need to take a look at the other website's thread to see it. And I'm also experiencing it on an i5 9600k, 16G fast DDR4 and a RTX 2060.
I think Is optimazed on AMD gpu but i don't know if change something

kizito

Okay, I fixed the goddamn stuttering. It's related to the drivers of Nvidia. Reverted to 430.86 and now my experience of the game is stutter free. I had tried absolutely everything before that, like uninstalling the Ultra-texture, not using the minimum framerate etc... But going back to old drivers fixed the stutter.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution :

Lowest native resolution 1920x1080
Highest native resolution 3200x1800
Lowest native resolution for the 30fps real time cutscenes 2773x1560
Highest native resolution for the 30fps real time cutscenes 3840x2160

Xbox One uses a dynamic resolution :

Lowest native resolution 1280x720
Highest native resolution 1920x1080

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Question GAF. PC newbie

Just set the refresh rate to 1 fps below your max refresh rate. So gsync always kicks in.
And turn off vsync.

That what i do normally

Lonely_Wolf1886

Neo Member
Okay, I fixed the goddamn stuttering. It's related to the drivers of Nvidia. Reverted to 430.86 and now my experience of the game is stutter free. I had tried absolutely everything before that, like uninstalling the Ultra-texture, not using the minimum framerate etc... But going back to old drivers fixed the stutter.
Yeah.. I can't believe Digital foundry lying saying this is one of the best port of pc all the time, the Gameplay has stuttering mess and cutt scene stutter like hell. The game craches after 2hr of continue play and i will go as far to say one of the bad port to pc or may be its just Windows store fault UWP.

Three

The options in this game are amazing. From the graphics settings to the accessibility options. Wish all games start doing this.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution :

Lowest native resolution 1920x1080
Highest native resolution 3200x1800
Lowest native resolution for the 30fps real time cutscenes 2773x1560
Highest native resolution for the 30fps real time cutscenes 3840x2160

Xbox One uses a dynamic resolution :

Lowest native resolution 1280x720
Highest native resolution 1920x1080

So it is never native 4k/60fps on the X? How did they confirm this? Thought it wasn't myself. If that's the case DF are gushing over this game and not revealing all the usual info. Maybe it is more difficult for them to do so because of the temporal reprojection but they didn't even aim to go into detail with it or what percentage it maintains the sub-4k maximum.

kizito

Yeah.. I can't believe Digital foundry lying saying this is one of the best port of pc all the time, the Gameplay has stuttering mess and cutt scene stutter like hell. The game craches after 2hr of continue play and i will go as far to say one of the bad port to pc or may be its just Windows store fault UWP.

I don't think they meant to lie or something like that, but rather that they didn't check on the forums to see that there was a widespread stutter problem with the game, and it is not related to Dynamic Resolution.

As I mentioned, only reverting my drivers granted me a perfect experience, so maybe the problem is located in Nvidia's hands. Let's see how it goes once the Gears 5 ready drivers get released.

Question GAF. PC newbie

If you want the smoothest experience possible then MSI Afterburner with Riva Tuner Statistics Server is the way to go in every game minus competitive shooters [csgo, pubg etc]

Watch this video

game is running fantastic for me. i use rtss and cap my max frame rate at 119 fps (on a 120 hz g sync monitor)

7700k, 1080ti, 16 gigs of ram. 3440x1440 on ultra with ultra textures. averaging like 85 - 90 fps. the only stuttering i get is during cut scenes, and it's pretty minor. i'm assuming thats where the engine is doing the bulk of the loading

also was able to grab this and get the terminator skins by signing up for 2 months of game pass ultimate for 2 bucks. pretty solid deal there

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I've got everything on Ultra, 1440p gsync monitor...at 100% (so native) scaling it's averaging between 100-120 FPS. I bumped it up to 150% and it's in the 70s but I don't really notice a difference in image quality TBH...I think I'm going to keep the bias toward framerate because I do notice that.

But yeah, the game looks and runs fanfuckingtastic. The cutscenes at an unlocked refresh rate with no compression artifacts (if they were pre-rendered) are just phenomenal looking. Excellent sound design too. I only played through the first 45 minutes or so but I'm definitely impressed.

Top Bottom